Motu Software Help!

Last response: in Home Audio
February 4, 2005 12:32:10 AM

Here's the Story. I just bought a MOTU 896hd digitizer with the idea of

putting together a field recording system. It's a killer digitizer and
it comes with software for a Mac OS X etc.

But I'm not quite ready to lay out the bread for a Mac laptop to
complete the system just yet. Soooooooo. I'm thinking, hey, I've
got a bunch of PCs around so why not rig one up as a temporary
recording
setup? OK. So I get a firewire card and I'm talking to the MOTU just
fine. But now I discover that it doesn't come with windoze recording
software and a quick tour of the stuff they recommend in the manual
all runs in the $500 - Grand range. Whew! Doesn't seem like a
temporary solution for me.

So I call Motu. What kind of cheapo software would work with your
unit I inquire? The answer to any and all questions at Motu is a stoic:
"We don't recommend software"! Hey say I, Don't you even test these
units
or do you just make them? "we test them, he asserts, BUT [you guessed
it]
"We don't recommend software".

So who can help me out a tad here? Anyone know of all those cheapo
packages ($50-$100) out there which might make the "best" quick and
dirty system to get the motu off the ground? I noticed that Cubase SE
looks nice, but appears to not be able to run the Motu at max
digitization
rate. Cakewalk also has a similar cheap reduced package. There seem to
be many others as well.

Does anyone have any experience with this Motu? Any hints on the best
software that might work with this unit?

Thanks in advance or any help.

Benj

More about : motu software

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 1:41:10 AM

Take a look at NTrack :
http://ntrack.com/main.shtm

It's pretty popular and you can try it for free, or pay $50 to $75 for the
full featured versions. I haven't used it but I've heard positive things
said about it.

Also check out Cubase SE, it's just under $100 :
http://www.zzounds.com/item--STECUBSE

Best of luck!

John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com

<bjacoby@iwaynet.net> wrote in message
> Here's the Story. I just bought a MOTU 896hd digitizer with the idea of
>
> putting together a field recording system. It's a killer digitizer and
> it comes with software for a Mac OS X etc.
>
> But I'm not quite ready to lay out the bread for a Mac laptop to
> complete the system just yet. Soooooooo. I'm thinking, hey, I've
> got a bunch of PCs around so why not rig one up as a temporary
> recording
> setup? OK. So I get a firewire card and I'm talking to the MOTU just
> fine. But now I discover that it doesn't come with windoze recording
> software and a quick tour of the stuff they recommend in the manual
> all runs in the $500 - Grand range. Whew! Doesn't seem like a
> temporary solution for me.
>
> So I call Motu. What kind of cheapo software would work with your
> unit I inquire? The answer to any and all questions at Motu is a stoic:
> "We don't recommend software"! Hey say I, Don't you even test these
> units
> or do you just make them? "we test them, he asserts, BUT [you guessed
> it]
> "We don't recommend software".
>
> So who can help me out a tad here? Anyone know of all those cheapo
> packages ($50-$100) out there which might make the "best" quick and
> dirty system to get the motu off the ground? I noticed that Cubase SE
> looks nice, but appears to not be able to run the Motu at max
> digitization
> rate. Cakewalk also has a similar cheap reduced package. There seem to
> be many others as well.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this Motu? Any hints on the best
> software that might work with this unit?
>
> Thanks in advance or any help.
>
> Benj

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 3:22:26 AM

bjacoby@iwaynet.net wrote:
> Here's the Story. I just bought a MOTU 896hd digitizer with the idea of...

If it comes with standard WDM drivers for Windows about
anything will do the job. My current favorite in the
cost/performace game is Mackie's Tracktion. There was a
promo giving away the prior version to lure folks into the
next one but I'm not sure if that is still in effect. If
not, it's $80 and very capable as a recording/mixing
platform. Tracktion also supports ASIO drivers which have
advantages in being able to use inputs as separate mono or
combined as stereo. I think in WDM drivers they are always
paired.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
February 4, 2005 10:30:55 AM

I would recommend getting a used copy of Vegas 4.0 on Ebay. You can score
one pretty cheap these days. It's a full-featured multitrack recorder and
works fully with the MOTU 896. In fact, I prefer this software for field
recording because it streams directly to disc. That means, no waiting 45
minutes to save your 8 tracks of 24/96 audio at the end of the concert.
Saving is a matter of 'closing' the files, which is instantaneous. And if
you crash (say the battery runs out on your laptop) you don't lose the whole
session. It's already recorded to disc and Vegas will recover it on next
startup.

--
Best Regards,

Mark A. Weiss, P.E.
www.mwcomms.com
-
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 3:15:21 PM

In article <1107495130.122063.36520@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com> bjacoby@iwaynet.net writes:

> Here's the Story. I just bought a MOTU 896hd digitizer

> But now I discover that it doesn't come with windoze recording
> software and a quick tour of the stuff they recommend in the manual
> all runs in the $500 - Grand range. Whew! Doesn't seem like a
> temporary solution for me.

Sure beats $25,000 for a recorder and $100,000 for a console. But
there are less expensive software solutions. N-Track Studio is about
$50, Magix Music Studio (or something like that) is pretty close to
Samplitude and sells for $65 or so at such fine pro audio stores as
Best Buy. There are low end versions of Cakewalk and Cubase that work
just fine. They have some limitations, usually in the maximum number
of tracks you can use in a project, or what processing tools come with
the package, but if you just want to record and mix, they'll work
fine.

> So I call Motu. What kind of cheapo software would work with your
> unit I inquire? The answer to any and all questions at Motu is a stoic:
> "We don't recommend software"!

What do you expect? If they recommend software and you can't get it
working, you'll probably blame them or their interface. You're now
seeing one of the major problems with building your own recorder,
something that we didn't used to do.

February 5, 2005 2:28:11 AM

What I was hoping for (but not expecting) was the kind of help I just
got here! (thanks guys!) Sure they can't endorse software though in
fact they DO by including the descriptions of high end stuff like
Cakewalk and Cubase SX in their manual.

I have simple questions like does Cubase SE support the max sampling
rates? or which cheapo softwares even work at ALL with the machine?
And which one would support simple recording and mixing. And all I got
was stonewalling like they've never tested this machine they sell.

There seem to be some reasonable $50 or so packages out there (maybe
even $100) that
MIGHT do the job, but I sure can't buy them all to figure out which
ones work and which ones just lockup.

All I really need is the kind of hints you guys are giving me. Namely
"I use XYZ and it works with the Motu" I've got pointed in some
directions to check some things out now. Thanks for the help!

Benj
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 4:35:30 AM

I use n-Track with my MOTU 828mkII (I had also considered the 896hd), and I
have Tracktion as well. I paid the shareware fee on n-Track; it's just a bit
more flexible and can handle my Behringer BCF-2000 control surface.
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 3:48:08 PM

> What I was hoping for (but not expecting) was the kind of help I just
> got here! (thanks guys!) Sure they can't endorse software though in
> fact they DO by including the descriptions of high end stuff like
> Cakewalk and Cubase SX in their manual.
>
> I have simple questions like does Cubase SE support the max sampling
> rates? or which cheapo softwares even work at ALL with the machine?
> And which one would support simple recording and mixing. And all I got
> was stonewalling like they've never tested this machine they sell.
>
> There seem to be some reasonable $50 or so packages out there (maybe
> even $100) that
> MIGHT do the job, but I sure can't buy them all to figure out which
> ones work and which ones just lockup.
>
> All I really need is the kind of hints you guys are giving me. Namely
> "I use XYZ and it works with the Motu" I've got pointed in some
> directions to check some things out now. Thanks for the help!
>
> Benj

Give NTrack a try, you can download it for free from their site.

John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 11:08:20 PM

On 2005-02-04, Mike Rivers <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:

> $50, Magix Music Studio (or something like that) is pretty close to
> Samplitude and sells for $65 or so at such fine pro audio stores as
> Best Buy.

Magix 2004/2005 Audio Studio is great, but it does not record 24 bit
audio. The docs are silent on the subject, but the software does not
offer the option for capturing 24 bit waves from the device, either
using ASIO or EASI. Queries to the tech support board have been
answered with vague assertions along the lines of "yes it does", but
it does not. (That ended the honeymoon between me and Magix, by the
way -- I won't deal with tech support that flat lies to me.)

That said, I have enjoyed using Magix for mixing audio, even though the
MIDI studio is for the birds.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 11:08:21 PM

In article <slrnd0krel.ju0.fishbowl@radagast.home.conservatory.com> fishbowl@conservatory.com writes:

> Magix 2004/2005 Audio Studio is great, but it does not record 24 bit
> audio.

Really? How strange. What happens when you record from a 24-bit
device? Does it create 16-bit files, truncated?

February 10, 2005 4:54:42 AM

On 2005-02-09, Mike Rivers <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:

> Really? How strange. What happens when you record from a 24-bit
> device? Does it create 16-bit files, truncated?

Yes, that appears to be the case. Tell you what, I'll record
something this evening, and then look at it in Audition and see
what's really going on. Maybe I'm wrong, but there are really
no bitrate options for recording other than 8 or 16 bit, and
the sample rates cap at 48kHz. Maybe it's doing it but not giving
feedback.
February 10, 2005 10:52:09 AM

In article <slrnd0lfo5.ju0.fishbowl@radagast.home.conservatory.com>,
james of tucson <fishbowl@conservatory.com> wrote:

>On 2005-02-09, Mike Rivers <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:
>
>> Really? How strange. What happens when you record from a 24-bit
>> device? Does it create 16-bit files, truncated?

Sure enough, that's what happens. You can't record at 96kHz (or 88.1,
or anything above 48kHz), there is no option to record a 24 bit sample,
and even though the mixer treats everything as 32 bit float, the samples
are 16/48. That works fine for me, but it's still very annoying. I
stopped using Magix when I got Audition. Love that.
!