I want to record music into my pc

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
February 4, 2005 11:30:27 AM

I would like to know what I need in order for me to record one instrument
and voice etc at a time and being able to do that 4 to 8 times as in for
example record a guitar>voice>keyboard>drums you know the way you would on a
studio but only doing it on the computer.Then once I am finished recoording
being able to add effects to what ever i have recorded in whatever
channel.And what would i need in order to have a lead coming from the guitar
etc to plug my lead thats coming from either my instrument or mike to be
hooked up to pc in a way it will be recorded into the studio on the pc.Then
once thats done what do you do in order to record it on to cd that you could
play on a stereo.

More about : record music

February 4, 2005 12:14:06 PM

Definitely check out the links posted by RD Jones. But here's a quick
outline:

Eddie wrote:
> I would like to know what I need in order for me to record one
instrument
> and voice etc at a time

You need, minimally:
a) an instrument with someone playing it or voice to record
b) a nice-sounding room to record in
c) a microphone
d) a preamp
e) an analog-to-digital converter (ADC)
f) audio recording software

Every sound card that can record is e), but some are better than
others. Sound cards with a "mic" input have d) built in, but they're
generally not very good.

So exactly *which* of c-f should you get? See those links RD Jones
posted, and search all over the internet and usenet. Figure out what
your budget is, and how good you want your sound to be. Research.

> and being able to do that 4 to 8 times as in for
> example record a guitar>voice>keyboard>drums you know the way you
would on a
> studio but only doing it on the computer.

g) multitrack recording software. There's several choices. Search
around. You can probably snag some free demos to try some software out.
h) headphones to monitor with while you're recording

> Then once I am finished recoording
> being able to add effects to what ever i have recorded in whatever
> channel.

i) multitrack recording software that supports effects plugins such as
VST or DX plugins.
j) VST or DX plugins to use.

You may also want
k) Good speakers+amp with which to listen to your mix
l) A good-sounding room in which to listen to your mix

> And what would i need in order to have a lead coming from the guitar
> etc to plug my lead thats coming from either my instrument or mike to
be
> hooked up to pc in a way it will be recorded into the studio on the
pc.

The multitrack software should be able to do this too. But if you want
to plug your electric guitar or guitar effects/amp sim pedal directly
into your preamp, you may want to look for:

m) a direct-injection box

Though this isn't always necessary. Sometimes you can plug a guitar
pedal directly into the input of your analog-to-digital-converter
(ADC), in which case you don't need a DI box.

> Then
> once thats done what do you do in order to record it on to cd that
you could
> play on a stereo.

The multitrack software should be able to mix it down to 2-track stereo
for you. After that you need

n) A cd burner
o) cd-burner software

I think that about covers it. Now go research :)

Ken
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 5:22:52 AM

"Eddie" <eddiethebhoy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I would like to know what I need in order for me to record one instrument
> and voice etc at a time and being able to do that 4 to 8 times as in for
> example record a guitar>voice>keyboard>drums you know the way you would on
> studio but only doing it on the computer.Then once I am finished
recoording
> being able to add effects to what ever i have recorded in whatever
> channel.And what would i need in order to have a lead coming from the
guitar
> etc to plug my lead thats coming from either my instrument or mike to be
> hooked up to pc in a way it will be recorded into the studio on the
pc.Then
> once thats done what do you do in order to record it on to cd that you
could
> play on a stereo.

You need a good computer (new or not very old) and something like this:

http://www.tascam.com/Products/US-122.html

which has both the hardware and the software that you need. Then you need to
learn how to use it, and read everything you can find about audio.

jb
!