X2: Keyboard map??

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Just picked this up in the bargain bin. Manual says to play the game with the
"keyboard map" in front of me (tutorial section).Game does not seem to include
one, although I thought they were customary for space sims. WTF??

Lloyd Heilbrunn

"LHeilb8013" <lheilb8013@aol.com> wrote in message
> Just picked this up in the bargain bin. Manual says to play the game with
the
> "keyboard map" in front of me (tutorial section).Game does not seem to
include
> one, although I thought they were customary for space sims. WTF??

Don't have my manual handy so I don't remember if they were all
in there.. but I can tell you that if you go to the help screen in the
game (default key is "h"), you will get a scrollable list of EVERY
hotkey in the game. You could take a few minutes to write them
all down if nothing else.

You cannot, for the most part, change the keys, so you gotta get
used to them the way they are. You can configure some keys
with the game launcher. But only stuff like Control, Alt, Enter,
etc. It also allows you to assign mouse buttons and joystick
buttons. Anything on A-Z is pretty much fixed.

Go through all the tutorials if you are new to the game, to learn
the details on how to do things like pickup cargo, buy and build
factories and stuff, and to get a good combat sim that is a good
place to learn to control your ship and battle.

One last hint, new players often have trouble launching missles.
The keyboard has two seperate controls for 1) cycling through
available missles and 2) launching the one selected. If you assign
the missles/rockets function (in the launcher config), to a joystick
button, it functions as both. A single click of the button cycles
forward through missles in your hold. To launch one, you have
to press and hold the button for a bit.. at least a second, maybe
two. Bit of a pain. If you really want to launch fast, the keyboard
key works better (I think it's L).

Jim

lemming

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2001

On 26 Oct 2004 21:03:07 GMT, lheilb8013@aol.com (LHeilb8013) wrote:

>Just picked this up in the bargain bin. Manual says to play the game with the
>"keyboard map" in front of me (tutorial section).Game does not seem to include
>one, although I thought they were customary for space sims. WTF??

Maybe in a PDF on the CD?

Lemming
--
Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.

Lemming <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<voktn093nckgfq7prjlhslshj1fnpmdkcc@4ax.com>...
> On 26 Oct 2004 21:03:07 GMT, lheilb8013@aol.com (LHeilb8013) wrote:
>
> >Just picked this up in the bargain bin. Manual says to play the game with the
> >"keyboard map" in front of me (tutorial section).Game does not seem to include
> >one, although I thought they were customary for space sims. WTF??
>
> Maybe in a PDF on the CD?
>
> Lemming

Yes, just hold the CD in front of you while you play. It helps a lot.

lheilb8013@aol.com (LHeilb8013) wrote in

> Just picked this up in the bargain bin. Manual says to play the game
> with the "keyboard map" in front of me (tutorial section).Game does
> not seem to include one, although I thought they were customary for
> space sims. WTF??
>
> Lloyd Heilbrunn

Warning - on-topic post!

You might check here: http://keycardhq.de

XaN

> Yes, just hold the CD in front of you while you play. It helps a lot.

'Specially if you have two. =)

// Xan, Ph.D.
// I worship His Shadow.

lemming

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2001
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On 27 Oct 2004 11:19:59 -0700, confed@evilemail.com (Cutter Slade)
wrote:

>Lemming <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<voktn093nckgfq7prjlhslshj1fnpmdkcc@4ax.com>...
>> On 26 Oct 2004 21:03:07 GMT, lheilb8013@aol.com (LHeilb8013) wrote:
>>
>> >Just picked this up in the bargain bin. Manual says to play the game with the
>> >"keyboard map" in front of me (tutorial section).Game does not seem to include
>> >one, although I thought they were customary for space sims. WTF??
>>
>> Maybe in a PDF on the CD?
>>
>> Lemming
>
>Yes, just hold the CD in front of you while you play. It helps a lot.

One of us has missed something.

Lemming
--

"br d" <misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hey Zan, isn't it time you told us who Cap'n Coma really is?

Captain Tomer is, in fact, a maniac potter. =)

// Xan, Ph.D.
// I worship His Shadow.

On or about 10/27/2004 1:54:57 PM, Xan <me@1.com> said:
> "br d" <misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hey Zan, isn't it time you told us who Cap'n Coma really is?
>
> Captain Tomer is, in fact, a maniac potter. =)

I was just wondering what happened to good ol' Shingen.

Bret

"Bret Ripley" <ripley@olywa.net> wrote in message
> On or about 10/27/2004 1:54:57 PM, Xan <me@1.com> said:
> > "br d" <misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> wrote in message
> >> Hey Zan, isn't it time you told us who Cap'n Coma really is?
> >
> > Captain Tomer is, in fact, a maniac potter. =)
>
> I was just wondering what happened to good ol' Shingen.

Probably not. It's probably the one poster that has taken every opportunity
to rant about how bad X2 is every chance he gets.

On or about 10/27/2004 2:44:29 PM, FLY135 <fly_135notmail.com> said:
> "Bret Ripley" <ripley@olywa.net> wrote in message
>> On or about 10/27/2004 1:54:57 PM, Xan <me@1.com> said:
>>> "br d" <misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Captain Tomer is, in fact, a maniac potter. =)
>>
>> I was just wondering what happened to good ol' Shingen.
>
> Probably not. It's probably the one poster that has taken every opportunity
> to rant about how bad X2 is every chance he gets.

I was being a bit facetious, Fly: Shingen has previously posted regarding
his fondness for herbal augmentation. Or maybe Zan simply meant that the
good Cap'n was rather keen on ceramics?

Besides, Cap'n Tomer's headers don't correspond to Shingen's. Nor do they
match "We Live (etc. etc. etc.)"'s headers, for that matter. Maybe it's
just Louis again.

Bret

lemming

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2001

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 20:54:57 GMT, "Xan" <me@1.com> wrote:

>"br d" <misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hey Zan, isn't it time you told us who Cap'n Coma really is?
>
>Captain Tomer is, in fact, a maniac potter. =)

Harry?

Lemming
--

> On or about 10/27/2004 2:44:29 PM, FLY135 <fly_135notmail.com> said:
> > "Bret Ripley" <ripley@olywa.net> wrote in message

> >> I was just wondering what happened to good ol' Shingen.
> >
> > Probably not. It's probably the one poster that has taken every
opportunity
> > to rant about how bad X2 is every chance he gets.
>
> I was being a bit facetious, Fly: Shingen has previously posted regarding
> his fondness for herbal augmentation. Or maybe Zan simply meant that the
> good Cap'n was rather keen on ceramics?
>
> Besides, Cap'n Tomer's headers don't correspond to Shingen's. Nor do they
> match "We Live (etc. etc. etc.)"'s headers, for that matter. Maybe it's
> just Louis again.

Louis is too busy to post on Usenet. He's too busy being stalked by Mr.
Smart and intercepting and reading all of Mr. Smart's emails.

"Paul Grunwald" <pgrunwald@spamthis.comcast.net> wrote in message
> lheilb8013@aol.com (LHeilb8013) wrote in
>
> > Just picked this up in the bargain bin. Manual says to play the game
> > with the "keyboard map" in front of me (tutorial section).Game does
> > not seem to include one, although I thought they were customary for
> > space sims. WTF??
> >
> > Lloyd Heilbrunn
>
> Warning - on-topic post!
>

> You might check here: http://keycardhq.de

Thanks for the warning but it would be safer to put the warning in the
subject field next time.

"Xan" <me@1.com> wrote in message news:<BWTfd.4101$9R4.503@trndny09>...
> "br d" <misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hey Zan, isn't it time you told us who Cap'n Coma really is?
>
> Captain Tomer is, in fact, a maniac potter. =)
>
> // Xan, Ph.D.
> // I worship His Shadow.

What the f***!!??
Whatever stupid psycho.

And by the way, I am Captain Tomer OK!?
not some "coma", my real name is tomer, it would be nice if you could
just call me Tomer ok!?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:19:10 -0700, Bret Ripley <ripley@olywa.net>
wrote:

>On or about 10/27/2004 2:44:29 PM, FLY135 <fly_135notmail.com> said:
>> "Bret Ripley" <ripley@olywa.net> wrote in message

>>> I was just wondering what happened to good ol' Shingen.
>>
>> Probably not. It's probably the one poster that has taken every opportunity
>> to rant about how bad X2 is every chance he gets.
>
>I was being a bit facetious, Fly: Shingen has previously posted regarding
>his fondness for herbal augmentation. Or maybe Zan simply meant that the
>good Cap'n was rather keen on ceramics?

Naz and his anagram machine.

>Besides, Cap'n Tomer's headers don't correspond to Shingen's. Nor do they
>match "We Live (etc. etc. etc.)"'s headers, for that matter. Maybe it's
>just Louis again.
>
>Bret

Louis Again. Apropos of ah heck all, I vaguely know a man called Fred
Rice who suffers from schizophrenia, he is known, naturally, as
Freddie Twice.

The first name has been changed to protect the innocents.

br d

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On or about 10/28/2004 6:16:30 AM, br d <misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk>
said:
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:19:10 -0700, Bret Ripley <ripley@olywa.net>
> wrote:
>
>>On or about 10/27/2004 2:44:29 PM, FLY135 <fly_135notmail.com> said:
>>> "Bret Ripley" <ripley@olywa.net> wrote in message

>>> Probably not. It's probably the one poster that has taken every opportunity
>>> to rant about how bad X2 is every chance he gets.
>>
>>I was being a bit facetious, Fly: Shingen has previously posted regarding
>>his fondness for herbal augmentation. Or maybe Zan simply meant that the
>>good Cap'n was rather keen on ceramics?
>
> Naz and his anagram machine.
>

>>Besides, Cap'n Tomer's headers don't correspond to Shingen's. Nor do they
>>match "We Live (etc. etc. etc.)"'s headers, for that matter. Maybe it's
>>just Louis again.
>>
>>Bret
>
> Louis Again. Apropos of ah heck all, I vaguely know a man called Fred
> Rice who suffers from schizophrenia, he is known, naturally, as
> Freddie Twice.
>
> The first name has been changed to protect the innocents.

I don't get it. And neither do I.

Brets

lemming

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2001
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On 28 Oct 2004 04:53:39 -0700, freelancer2003@hotmail.co.il (Captain
Tomer) wrote:

>"Xan" <me@1.com> wrote in message news:<BWTfd.4101$9R4.503@trndny09>...
>> "br d" <misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > Hey Zan, isn't it time you told us who Cap'n Coma really is?
>>
>> Captain Tomer is, in fact, a maniac potter. =)
>>
>> // Xan, Ph.D.
>> // I worship His Shadow.
>

>What the f***!!??

Arcane tit mop

>Whatever stupid psycho.

Catena import.

>And by the way, I am Captain Tomer OK!?

I'm taco enrapt.

>not some "coma", my real name is tomer, it would be nice if you could

Cite not a pram.

>just call me Tomer ok!?

A recti tampon.

Lemming
--
Curiosity *may* have killed Captain Taco.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 09:41:58 -0700, Bret Ripley <ripley@olywa.net>
wrote:

>No time for gaming? =:0
>
>That just ain't right.
>
>Well, hurry back, Shingen. We could use a little common sense around here.
>
>Bret
A little gaming in the e3arly mornings and late evenings.

Lately I've been playing Imperialism 2, trying to get Sweden and
France (the two with the largest military under me) to go to war so I
can snatch up some more of that prime, old world real estate.

lemming

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2001
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 16:48:53 GMT, Shingen
<shingen@aolsuks.sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 09:41:58 -0700, Bret Ripley <ripley@olywa.net>
>wrote:
>
>>No time for gaming? =:0
>>
>>That just ain't right.
>>
>>Well, hurry back, Shingen. We could use a little common sense around here.
>>
>>Bret
>A little gaming in the e3arly mornings and late evenings.
>
>Lately I've been playing Imperialism 2, trying to get Sweden and
>France (the two with the largest military under me) to go to war so I
>can snatch up some more of that prime, old world real estate.

Tell them the UN have passed a resolution forbidding war. That should
do the trick.

Lemming
--
Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 18:09:06 +0100, Lemming
<thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Tell them the UN have passed a resolution forbidding war. That should
>do the trick.
>
>Lemming

That would prolly work, expect that there's no "UN" option in the damn
game! Go figure.

Maybe I should start an "Iron Ore for Food" scandal, accuse Germany of
hoarding Weapons of Mass Destruction, and get Spain and Portugal to
set up a "coalition". =)

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On or about 10/28/2004 10:32:01 AM, Shingen <shingen@aolsuks.sbcglobal.net>
said:
> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 18:09:06 +0100, Lemming
> <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Tell them the UN have passed a resolution forbidding war. That should
>>do the trick.
>>
>>Lemming
>
> That would prolly work, expect that there's no "UN" option in the damn
> game! Go figure.
>
> Maybe I should start an "Iron Ore for Food" scandal, accuse Germany of
> hoarding Weapons of Mass Destruction, and get Spain and Portugal to
> set up a "coalition". =)

Egad, who would ever fall for that? No, you'll have to try a different
strategery -- maybe threaten them with nukular armitage, or something like
that.

Bret

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 11:19:21 -0700, Bret Ripley <ripley@olywa.net>
wrote:

>On or about 10/28/2004 10:32:01 AM, Shingen <shingen@aolsuks.sbcglobal.net>
>said:
>> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 18:09:06 +0100, Lemming
>> <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>Tell them the UN have passed a resolution forbidding war. That should
>>>do the trick.
>>>
>>>Lemming
>>
>> That would prolly work, expect that there's no "UN" option in the damn
>> game! Go figure.
>>
>> Maybe I should start an "Iron Ore for Food" scandal, accuse Germany of
>> hoarding Weapons of Mass Destruction, and get Spain and Portugal to
>> set up a "coalition". =)
>
>Egad, who would ever fall for that? No, you'll have to try a different
>strategery -- maybe threaten them with nukular armitage, or something like
>that.
>
>Bret

umm Bret, I take it you've never played any of the Imperialism games?

Imperialism 2 is set between 1500 and 1850, so there isn't any Nukular
anything. The best I could do blockade everyone with massive fleets of
Ironclads and starve them into submission.

Doable, but not very exciting.