Sign in with
Your question

Packet loss issues, not sure what's going on..

Last response: in Windows 7
June 12, 2012 8:22:16 PM

I figured I'd post this as a general question because I'm starting to get the feeling this isn't a network problem. I've replaced my modem, had my cable lines checked, replaced my router, replaced my wireless card, reinstalled windows, among a few other things.

I host games for me and my friends to play on like Minecraft, Killing Floor, and others, and have had no problems doing so until around the 1st of this month. Since then, people who play with me experience terrible lag in short bursts, and I experience the same thing, sometimes worse.

Looking more into it, as an example, Killing Floor's net stats report packet loss at the time of lag, but my new network card's network monitor reports no packet loss, in or out. When I play, I'm connected locally, so this really isn't a network problem. I have no idea what could be causing this other than a hardware or software problem, and it's really starting to bug me.

If anyone at all could help me look more into this issue, I'd be so very grateful.

Edit: It only happens in short bursts. Sometimes, it will be fine for an hour or two. Other times, it won't let up for a long while. I was told this was most likely a software or hardware conflict, but I don't know where to begin looking.

Computer Specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Intel i7 870
1.5TB and 750GB Seagate HDDs.
8GB DDR3 RAM
nVidia 560Ti

More about : packet loss issues

June 12, 2012 8:37:51 PM

not something daft like Windows Update downloading updates is it causing the game host PC to use up the internet connection bandwidth?
m
l
June 12, 2012 8:39:29 PM

I know the obvious thing here would be to try to connect connect to router via Ethernet instead of wireless, but that's not always possible. Is it possible that the issue is on a friends computer since yours isn't reporting any loss?
m
l
Related resources
June 12, 2012 8:45:51 PM

My computer is the host computer. Killing Floor is the most intensive game I host, and it hardly even impacts my performance, let alone uses very much bandwidth. My computer is the one reporting the losses, nobody elses. I also get packet loss when I try to play on someone elses server. So either playing on the net, or connected locally to my own server with others connected, I get packet loss spikes.

Edit: It's not much of an option to connect directly to the modem either, unfortunately. But my game still reports packet loss even when connected via 127.0.0.1 or localhost.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 12, 2012 8:46:18 PM

if you connect directly to the modem (no router) do you still have a problem?
m
l
June 12, 2012 8:56:03 PM

anonymous1 said:
if you connect directly to the modem (no router) do you still have a problem?

I could try, but I pretty much have to rely on a wireless connection. Everything was working flawlessly up until about the beginning of this month. Since then, I have not had any luck in locating or fixing the source of the problem.
m
l
June 12, 2012 9:00:43 PM

Last time I had a stuttering issue per say, surprisingly enough it was my hard drive. My issue persisted through just about everything including a reinstall of Windows. So, download the diagnostic software for your drives and give that a go. Could also be some sort of driver issue. Is Event Viewer reporting any warnings or errors?
m
l
June 12, 2012 9:37:24 PM

Could a HDD issue really cause packet loss? Either way, I'm going to test it. Downloading SeaTools to test my HDD right now, will post after it's done.

Edit: SeaTools said my HDD is fine. I checked the event viewer, and I had a few warnings and errors. Anything in particular I should look for?
m
l
June 13, 2012 12:11:36 AM

Look for anything network related. See if you can print the logs to file or something if you're having trouble sorting through them.
m
l
June 13, 2012 4:38:33 AM

Under error, there are events for dhcp-client.

Under warnings, DNS Client Events and WLAN-Autoconfig.

Everyone who connects to me experiences the lag like I do, and when I connect to a server that isn't my own, I experience the same type of lag, but nobody else does. Lag being terrible packet loss, which appears to them as ridiculous ping spikes and jumpy lag.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 13, 2012 7:07:20 AM

it could be your anti virus. it it thinking your being pingged for an attack. also run a malware sweep could be malwae that tryingto log onto the www. i would check to see if you got any new wireless phones or if your next door nabors have a new wifi router. could be that your unit and his on the same channel and having intervernace..try changing the wifi channel your on.
i would update your mb chipset drivers and if it a built in pci or usb wifi card it could be a chipset on the mb is overheating.
m
l
June 13, 2012 7:35:46 AM

sintaxx said:
Under error, there are events for dhcp-client.

Under warnings, DNS Client Events and WLAN-Autoconfig.

Everyone who connects to me experiences the lag like I do, and when I connect to a server that isn't my own, I experience the same type of lag, but nobody else does. Lag being terrible packet loss, which appears to them as ridiculous ping spikes and jumpy lag.

Should be an event ID # that goes to each one. Need those.
m
l
June 13, 2012 9:44:50 AM

Do you get dropped packets when pinging your default gateway? How about when you ping a website?

m
l
June 13, 2012 5:39:40 PM

No dropped packets when I ping my gateway, or websites. I tried google, yahoo, and newgrounds.

I'll get those event IDs for you in just a moment.

dhcp-client event ID 1002

DNS Client Events event ID 1014

WLAN-Autoconfig event IDs 4001 and 10002
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 13, 2012 6:21:28 PM

I did not ask for you to live without a router just disconnect it and see if the problem is still there.
m
l
June 14, 2012 12:50:30 AM

Well, the ID's are good, but I forgot to mention that there's usually a little error message with each one :p .

What I could figure out from the "dhcp client" is that there seemed to be an IP conflict where your computer requested a certain IP, but your DHCP server turned down the request. In your network settings, do you have your computer set to a static IP? or Dnyamic?

Also, the DNS one may or may not be ignorable (depending on the issue), but the wlan one is rather serious. That, and the DHCP one could definitely be contributing to the problem. Read this on the WLAN 4001 error http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpr...

The 10002 error is similar to 4001.

But yeah, get the error messages too :p 
m
l
June 14, 2012 4:22:41 AM

This time, I went out and bought a brand new router instead of using the old backup one I had. The WLAN errors have stopped, as well as any other errors. Does this even seem likely that it is fixed, or am I just lucky right now? The over all performance is better, and I haven't noticed any major packet loss either.. It doesn't make much sense to me at all, considering I've pinged my gateway and come up with nothing, as well as used two different routers..

I'll get those error messages in just a bit.
m
l
June 15, 2012 7:57:33 AM

Well, just keep putting the new router through its paces. This thread isn't going anywhere, so if anymore issues pop up just let us know
m
l
!