University blocks wireless adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoryBear

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Hello,

I am a university student and at my halls of residence each room has a wired internet port by the desk. This can be very annoying if you want to either connect your laptop elsewhere in the room or if you want to connect a mobile device for example.

To overcome this I purchased a Sapido RB-1602 pocket 3-in-1 Router, Access point and Wireless Bridge. However when I connect it to the ethernet port in my room my laptop has no trouble connecting but the university network requires you to go through a registration IP check and security check. This happens but then a pop up appears saying that 'the host is already registered'.

I contacted my IT support service and they said 'It's not possible to connect routers to the student network. Your laptop has a live IP address, but the wireless router will be blocked by Campus Manager.' I don't really understand this as it goes a bit over my technical ability but does anyone know if there is any way to work around this because it would really help if I could get this thing working.

Thanks, Rory

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

It's a security thing, I expect. They allocate a fixed number of IP addresses and putting in a router which would enlarge that number tend that would go against their policy. Rules are rules and it would be against ours here at Tom's to help you circumnavigate the University's, even if i t could be done. It seems from what they told you, it can't be done anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.