Mar 5, 2002
I had to set up a new computer for video editing, making use of:
4 IBM 180 GXP 60 GB
2 IBM 120 GXP 120 GB
1 Maxtor D740s 60 GB
1 RAID controller Promise TX2 100 or Adaptec 1200A
1 IDE controller CMD UATA 133
Onboard IDE channel

My question is how to compose so many HDD, eventually by realising also a software RAID (Win XP)for the best performances regarding the HDD section.
My idea was to install a RAID 0 array using the Promise controller and two 180 GXP 60 GB, moreover I can create a software raid (win XP) with two more 180 GXP in order to separate the OS from the pagefile and demanding application or maybe I can realize a two channel/four disks (4 180GXP on the promise controller)to maximise only one big volume.
What is the best solution ?

Principle of the highest harassment for engineers says: having two events, one bad and one favorable, with the same probability to occur, it is most probable that the bad event will occur

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
I don't know the answer, but I just can't help wondering how big your tower case would be. And you must have got a high wattage PSU to feed all those hungry HDs. :)

unoc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
A miditower well vented is enough, the PSU is an Enermax with 26 Amps on the +12V.
I am installing the four 180GXP in a single RAID 0 Array leaving a 120GXP alone for some applications. I have the idea that the pagefile will not be involved too much having 1 GB of DDR RAM installed. On the big RAID array I will install the OS and most application. I leave the software RAID for the next system.

Principle of the highest harassment for engineers says: having two events, one bad and one favorable, with the same probability to occur, it is most probable that the bad event will occur

alltaken

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
Yeah i realoly want those HDD

i have a midtower case that could fit 12
i have a Mobo that can have 10

i have 1Gb of ram also

as well as me being into rendering and stuff where i can get single image files up to 45Mb (well my current record for a TGA)

anyway i bought all my stuff with a similar confguration in mind as you but have seriously run out of cash.

see ya

i don't wanna use markup in my signature!!!!

jheine

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2002
I don't think you want to throw all four 180GXPs on a RAID card, since you'll won't gain any performance with two drives per channel. Another suggestion would be to use the two 120 GXPs on a RAID card in a RAID 0 array for data/swap/pagefile. This would work better for video editing, giving you both speed and space. Then take two 180 GXPs and put them on either the other RAID card or the onboard cotroller. Set them up for RAID 1 through hardware or software, depending on which controller you use, and use this as your system drive. This way you have the separate system and swap drive setup that many video editing suites recommend, and you'll have a safety net if a system drive goes belly up.

Jarrett

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new"><b><font color=red>Join The THGC Music Project</font color=red></b></A>