Sanyo 4920 backlight question

I can't find an advanced manual online yet for the rl-4920,
and what comes with it is scant.

Something that strikes me as most odd is that the backlight
remains on throughout the charging process. I haven't yet found any
setting that would turn it off. In all other respects it behaves like
the backlight on other phones (such as the 4900), and can be set to go
off after selected intervals of 8, 15 seconds, etc.

Has anyone else got an observation about this? What am I
missing?

Thanks, DGI
8 answers Last reply
More about sanyo 4920 backlight question

    David G. Imber wrote:
    > I can't find an advanced manual online yet for the rl-4920,
    > and what comes with it is scant.
    >
    > Something that strikes me as most odd is that the backlight
    > remains on throughout the charging process. I haven't yet found any
    > setting that would turn it off. In all other respects it behaves like
    > the backlight on other phones (such as the 4900), and can be set to go
    > off after selected intervals of 8, 15 seconds, etc.
    >
    > Has anyone else got an observation about this? What am I
    > missing?
    >
    > Thanks, DGI

    Both of mine do the same thing. If anyone knows how to turn it off during
    charging pls let us know.

    David G. Imber wrote:
    > I can't find an advanced manual online yet for the rl-4920,
    > and what comes with it is scant.
    >
    > Something that strikes me as most odd is that the backlight
    > remains on throughout the charging process. I haven't yet found any
    > setting that would turn it off. In all other respects it behaves like
    > the backlight on other phones (such as the 4900), and can be set to go
    > off after selected intervals of 8, 15 seconds, etc.
    >
    > Has anyone else got an observation about this? What am I
    > missing?

    FWIW, I've had plenty of phones that do the same thing. My T608's
    backlight remains on during charging, even when the clock/screensaver
    has gone active.

    No idea here how to turn it off... but is it really that much of a
    concern? The backlight is LED-based, so it's not like the light is
    drawing a serious amount of power. It certainly doesn't affect
    charging, and it's not like the backlight will "burn out" anytime soon.
    The LEDs will probably outlast the rest of the phone.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

    On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 11:02:08 -0400, Isaiah Beard
    <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote:

    >No idea here how to turn it off... but is it really that much of a
    >concern?

    No, you're right. From the technology point of view it's no
    big deal. I have a general disdain for inefficiency and wastefulness.
    And there is a harder to define feeling, eg: "why do I have to have a
    light burning in the middle of the night?" Different from the waste
    issue. It's just sort of senseless.

    DGI

    David G. Imber wrote:

    > No, you're right. From the technology point of view it's no
    > big deal. I have a general disdain for inefficiency and wastefulness.
    > And there is a harder to define feeling, eg: "why do I have to have a
    > light burning in the middle of the night?" Different from the waste
    > issue. It's just sort of senseless.

    True, and I can certainly understand your point on the waste issue.
    However, since a lot of the gadgets we use these days no longer truly
    "power off" when we tell them to, and even wall-wart power supplies that
    aren't connected to the gadgets they charge/power still draw current
    (it's easy to tell, most remain warm if plugged in) I've kinda learned
    to let it slide. The combined waste amounts to maybe a nickle out my
    pocket every year. *shrug* :)

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

    The thing I don't like about it is that I want to keep the phone in my
    bedroom, but I get annoyed by light in the room because my eyelids are
    thin (and because I like to hibernate 8 hours a day, so all the shades
    are closed, etc).

    Plus I like the phone to light up and wake me up if I'm sleeping, not
    be a nightlight. That's just not a feature I was looking for in a
    phone! :-D

    --
    ooglek
    http://cellphoneforums.netView this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t124135.html

    Here's the official manual from Sanyo, David:

    http://www.sanyo.com/wireless/handsets/downloads/RL-4920-UsersGuide.pdf

    From: David G. Imber (imber@maniform.com)
    Subject: Sanyo 4920 backlight question

    ooglek <ooglek.1cjb64@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:
    > The thing I don't like about it is that I want to keep the phone in my
    > bedroom, but I get annoyed by light in the room because my eyelids are
    > thin (and because I like to hibernate 8 hours a day, so all the shades
    > are closed, etc).
    >
    > Plus I like the phone to light up and wake me up if I'm sleeping, not
    > be a nightlight. That's just not a feature I was looking for in a
    > phone! :-D

    So why not just turn the phone upside down? That will reduce the output
    from the lcd dramatically (it's what I do), and besides, the ringer comes
    from the speaker on the back, which will now be pointing up for you.

    > ooglek

    Kevin M.
    "Know your enemy, and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
    you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
    "Contentment... Complacency... Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier

    Only 1 way to turn off the blacklight for the screen power off the
    phone, other wise it'll remain on, personally i think of it as a design
    flaw, if you put your phone face down on mouse pad or well anything u
    can't see the light well <.<;

    --
    dbesing

Sprint PCS Sanyo Internet Service Providers