Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HDTV Wirless USB Adapter?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 15, 2013 3:40:12 AM

I got a Smart TV (A Sony KDL-60EX645) and once trying the built-in wireless, well, to put it simply, it sucked. Badly. Although the TV IS a few rooms over from the wireless hub, my 4 year old laptop's built-in wireless gets great signal and I can stream video through it, but this TV buffers every 1 minute or so. I've tried plugging in a wireless USB adapter into the one of the USB ports on the TV, but nothing happens and the TV decides to connect from the built-in wireless adapter anyways. I think the TV might only take media through the USB ports.
The TV does have a LAN port on the back of the TV, but I don't want to run another cord through my wall. Can I get a Male LAN to Female USB adapter and plug in the wireless USB adapter into that? If not, is there any other way of getting a good signal.

Best solution

a b F Wireless
January 15, 2013 8:09:21 AM

As I see the UWA-BR1 adapter for your TV is wireless N class and should be capable of 300Mbps speeds, as long as the router is also N class. The connection between the two can be obstructed by concrete walls mirrors or metal objects though. If a cable connection is out of the question...
A quick fix you could try is to use a USB extension cable or USB hub to get the adapter out to an open area and see if the signal gets any better.

Unfortunately these TVs only have the driver for the SONY UWA-BR1 adapter built in so you can't just plug in any old adapter and expect it to work. You would need to find an aftermarket adapter specifically sold for your TV model or at least one using the same chip as the UWA-BR1. Since the adapters for TVs aren't so cheap it may be worth lokking into a wireless router with a bridging function. It would probably cost you the same as a new wireless adapter and also give you the optin to connect other devices also.
Possibly something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Try the quick fix and see how it goes from there.
January 15, 2013 11:41:55 PM

ngrego said:
As I see the UWA-BR1 adapter for your TV is wireless N class and should be capable of 300Mbps speeds, as long as the router is also N class. The connection between the two can be obstructed by concrete walls mirrors or metal objects though. If a cable connection is out of the question...
A quick fix you could try is to use a USB extension cable or USB hub to get the adapter out to an open area and see if the signal gets any better.

Unfortunately these TVs only have the driver for the SONY UWA-BR1 adapter built in so you can't just plug in any old adapter and expect it to work. You would need to find an aftermarket adapter specifically sold for your TV model or at least one using the same chip as the UWA-BR1. Since the adapters for TVs aren't so cheap it may be worth lokking into a wireless router with a bridging function. It would probably cost you the same as a new wireless adapter and also give you the optin to connect other devices also.
Possibly something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Try the quick fix and see how it goes from there.

Thanks man, I'll be sure to try those out, real shame that you can't just plug in a USB adapter though.
m
l
January 15, 2013 11:42:16 PM

Best answer selected by rccola2424.
m
l
!