Good force feedback joystick for space games

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

I'm sure this topic has been done before.. but I haven't found a
recent answer..

I have the early model Saitek Cyborg 3D. Nice joystick at the time but
started displaying the left drift problem and now it's pretty bad.

So I want to buy a new one.. I tried force feedback back on a MS
Sidewinder (version 1) years ago and thought it was great, this was on
combat flight sim.

Now the post-xmas sales are going strong.. I think I should treat
myself to a FF joystick.. mostly to replay I-war 2, Freespace 2 and
god knows what other grub I can dig up. I hear that X2 has trouble
with FF.

So what will it be.. the options are limited and I have the cash for
any of them. I will try to test in store but generally I only find out
if I like something like this if I give it a good bash for a day or
two.

Logitech Force 3D, saitek evo force or microsoft sidewinder force 2 (I
know they've dropped production but I remember it still being sold
somewhere)

I'm also pretty sure the above ones are all proper FF sticks rather
than rumble sticks (to me rumble=xbox).

I'm leaning towards logitech only because I have heard good things
about them, never bought any of their stuff but have used and found to
be pretty good. The Saitek feels nice to wiggle around but I have had
the problem with their previous version and left drift - despite many
attempts to fix.

Help is appreciated.
5 answers Last reply
More about good force feedback joystick space games
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    I don't know how much money you have to spend but go to Ebay and find
    a MS sidewinder 2 FF. It is simply the best FF stick. I have had
    others and they just do not compare.

    Allan

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 18:34:01 +1300, Ricky <u@ri.com> wrote:

    >I'm sure this topic has been done before.. but I haven't found a
    >recent answer..
    >
    >I have the early model Saitek Cyborg 3D. Nice joystick at the time but
    >started displaying the left drift problem and now it's pretty bad.
    >
    >So I want to buy a new one.. I tried force feedback back on a MS
    >Sidewinder (version 1) years ago and thought it was great, this was on
    >combat flight sim.
    >
    >Now the post-xmas sales are going strong.. I think I should treat
    >myself to a FF joystick.. mostly to replay I-war 2, Freespace 2 and
    >god knows what other grub I can dig up. I hear that X2 has trouble
    >with FF.
    >
    >So what will it be.. the options are limited and I have the cash for
    >any of them. I will try to test in store but generally I only find out
    >if I like something like this if I give it a good bash for a day or
    >two.
    >
    >Logitech Force 3D, saitek evo force or microsoft sidewinder force 2 (I
    >know they've dropped production but I remember it still being sold
    >somewhere)
    >
    >I'm also pretty sure the above ones are all proper FF sticks rather
    >than rumble sticks (to me rumble=xbox).
    >
    >I'm leaning towards logitech only because I have heard good things
    >about them, never bought any of their stuff but have used and found to
    >be pretty good. The Saitek feels nice to wiggle around but I have had
    >the problem with their previous version and left drift - despite many
    >attempts to fix.
    >
    >Help is appreciated.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    >I don't know how much money you have to spend but go to Ebay and find
    >a MS sidewinder 2 FF. It is simply the best FF stick. I have had
    >others and they just do not compare.
    >
    >Allan

    I think I should get a new one I'm afraid. I believe you when you say
    the sidewinder 2 is great because of my experience with the original
    sidewinder. And yeah I was wrong no one sells them new anymore.

    Anyone ever try the saitek evo force?
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    I got my new Sidewinder 2 FF for about $110 last month. It seems when
    MS made the announcement they were discontinuing them a lot of people
    grabbed several.

    Allan

    On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 07:44:34 +1300, Ricky <u@ri.com> wrote:

    >>I don't know how much money you have to spend but go to Ebay and find
    >>a MS sidewinder 2 FF. It is simply the best FF stick. I have had
    >>others and they just do not compare.
    >>
    >>Allan
    >

    >I think I should get a new one I'm afraid. I believe you when you say
    >the sidewinder 2 is great because of my experience with the original
    >sidewinder. And yeah I was wrong no one sells them new anymore.
    >
    >Anyone ever try the saitek evo force?
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    "Ricky" <u@ri.com> wrote in message
    > >I don't know how much money you have to spend but go to Ebay and find
    >>a MS sidewinder 2 FF. It is simply the best FF stick. I have had
    >>others and they just do not compare.
    >>
    >>Allan
    >

    > I think I should get a new one I'm afraid. I believe you when you say
    > the sidewinder 2 is great because of my experience with the original
    > sidewinder. And yeah I was wrong no one sells them new anymore.
    >
    > Anyone ever try the saitek evo force?

    Yes, got one this xmas. love it to bits! Adjustable, excellent force
    motors. Rumble of the wheels on the runway getting faster and gentler as you
    speed up, little "clunk" when the gear comes up... Used it so far on
    MSFS2004, Micro Flight and C.McRae rally 2005... it's behaved flawlessly. OS
    XP Pro Corp....

    Thinking of downloading Orbiter next...

    http://www.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/~martins/orbit/orbit.html

    have you tried it?
    Les
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    I got the Logitech Force 3D because (1) it got good reviews (but then
    didn't they all) and (2) it was 25% off making it cheaper than even
    the older version of the saitek FF stick, and (3) logitech have a
    mostly good reputation

    So far I'm not sure ... it has worked very well in independence war 2
    (beatiful really - after I found the option in flux.ini to enable),
    pretty well in freespace 2.. not so well in x2..

    and not so well in CFS2 which surprises me.. sorta feels stiff and
    flak and turbulence effects are dampened out compared to collision,
    gun and runway effects

    Also the whole Twist lock feature doesn't really work

    .... anyway I'll give it a good bash for a few more days

    thanks for all your help

PC gaming Joystick Games Video Games