missing ntldr booting from floppy

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Hi all
Friend of mine trying to do i bios update, running win2k, was having probs so I sent him a boot floppy with the required files etc (works fine on my stsem- same board, also win2k) but got missing ntldr when trying to boot from floppy- this was the problem before I tried to help, has anyone any suggestions?

CALV

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
Boot from Win2K CD and choose repair the installation (or something like that I don't remember exactly). It will provide a command line and you can use the 'mbr' or 'fdisk /mbr' commands to fix the mbr.

Novakain

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
He's getting the error "Missing NTLDR" when trying to boot from a floppy? Is the FDD set up correctly in the BIOS? Does the FDD work OK?

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I'm not sure, but have you done a search at the Microsoft Support center? Do a search under the search topic of Windows 2000 (duh!), and type in "missing NTLDR" for a search. Check out the links assocated with the results page, to see if any of 'em might help.

Good luck - to your friend, especially

<font color=red><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A> - My Windows XP-based Website</font color=red>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
thanks all, fixed it in the end!

turned out that because the file system is ntfs, a "normal" boot disk wont work rifht, got the drdos boot disk from bootdisk.com and worked fine. odd really tho, coz the boot disk i went him works fine on mine (also ntfs) !

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?