Starshatter: What's the verdict on it?

Last response: in Video Games
January 11, 2005 2:36:10 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

I'm back into space sims atm and wonder how SS fared with those of you who
bought it. I checked out the Matrix SS forum and the posters there are very
enthusiastic about the game. Also I recall that Milo was a regular poster
here for years and seemed a very reasonable type. Is the game worth $50
(I'd go for a physical copy which means shipping and sales tax) in terms of
long-term play (i.e., how long did you play it before setting it aside out
of either boredom or frustration.....or are you still playing it
enthusiastically). Thanks for any info.

More about : starshatter verdict

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 2:36:11 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:36:10 GMT, "DocScorpio"
<DocScorpio@stupra-spammeros.com> wrote:

>I'm back into space sims atm and wonder how SS fared with those of you who
>bought it. I checked out the Matrix SS forum and the posters there are very
>enthusiastic about the game. Also I recall that Milo was a regular poster
>here for years and seemed a very reasonable type. Is the game worth $50
>(I'd go for a physical copy which means shipping and sales tax) in terms of
>long-term play (i.e., how long did you play it before setting it aside out
>of either boredom or frustration.....or are you still playing it
>enthusiastically). Thanks for any info.

Well, I really liked it and I still play it. The missions can get a
little repetitive but when that happens, I just change to a squadron
that is more active. I was supposed to do a review but I got busy with
another project.

Allan
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 3:14:32 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:36:10 GMT, "DocScorpio"
<DocScorpio@stupra-spammeros.com> wrote:

>I'm back into space sims atm and wonder how SS fared with those of you who
>bought it. I checked out the Matrix SS forum and the posters there are very
>enthusiastic about the game. Also I recall that Milo was a regular poster
>here for years and seemed a very reasonable type. Is the game worth $50
>(I'd go for a physical copy which means shipping and sales tax) in terms of
>long-term play (i.e., how long did you play it before setting it aside out
>of either boredom or frustration.....or are you still playing it
>enthusiastically). Thanks for any info.

I, too, had debated getting Starshatter. The reviews on this group
have generally been good, but not very numerous. About a week ago I
decided to shell out the money and try the game out. This is MY
experience with Starshatter so far. YOUR mileage may vary.

The first decision was which media to buy. At first I, like you,
wanted something physical when I shell out $30. HOWEVER, the cost of
Starshatter grows WAY too much if you want the box, CD, etc. Why?
Because they charge $40 for the boxed game, which does not include the
$7-8 in shipping. This makes the boxed game go for almost $50, which
more than any other game I have bought in years (I wait for sales).
Prices like this is what made me start buying games used. So, in the
end I went with the digital download for $30.

The purchase process is simple and fast. While downloading the game, I
also downloaded the newest patch (4.0.3, if I recall correctly).
Installation went smoothly, as did patching.

The first thing I did was mess with the video options. During this
process I managed to crash to the desktop once. Other than this one
time, I had no issues with configuration. I have a P4 3.0GHz system
overclocked to 3.2GHz, Gigabyte motherboard, ATI 9800Pro video card
(slightly overclockerd), SB Audigy soundcard, and Saitek X-45 HOTAS.

I pretty much skipped the manual, configured the keys/buttons the way
I like them, and jumped into the game. I played the tutorials, then
started the campaign. I am about 4 missions into the campaign at this
point, so keep that in mind while reading this review.

Graphically, the game is uninspiring. It is definitely not cutting
edge, and in fact seems somewhat dated. I have been playing FPS quite
a bit lately, since space sims have fallen by the wayside, and this
game cannot compare in any way to what is being done in that genre.
This game seems about 5 years old in terms of graphics, maybe more. My
MEMORY of Freespace 2 is that Freespace 2 had better graphics, but
this may be tainted by love of a great game. Similarly, my memory of
I-War and I-War 2 are that they, too, had better graphics. Regardless,
the graphics are just so-so. Explosions are so-so. Ship textures are
poor. Smoke trails are poor. I have all the eye-candy turned to
MAXIMUM, by the way. Also, this is a DirectX 7 game. Yes, DirectX 7. I
rate it 3/10 in graphics.

With respect to sound, the game is, again, uninspiring, bordering on
poor. The music score is something I turned off right away. Sound
effects are not very plentiful, and not all that interesting.
Additionally, there is no radio chatter or voice-over. You can order
your wingman to do things, and everything occurs via text on-screen.
Radio chatter adds a lot to a game, even Wing Commander 1 implemented
it, and that game is hella-old. Freelancer, which I do not think of as
much of a space sim, is a good example of good sound effects, radio
chatter, etc., although a bit repetitive. I rate Starshatter a 3/10 in
this category.

The controls work just fine. You can map any function to any button
with a standard DirectX compatible joystick. My X-45 also includes
turn-knobs, which no one, ever, has natively supported. I have to
program the stick for that (I use Dhauzimmer's drivers, btw). I have
modified my X-45 to bypass the internal rudders and wired my
Thrustmaster RCS pedals into it, and it all works like a charm. No
complaints here. Game configuration allows you to swap axes, etc.
There are different flight modes, and it all works out relatively
well. Flight limiters are put into place to keep you from accelerating
to unmanageable levels. I rate it 8/10.

Manuals are included in PDF format. They have lots of color
screenshots, and in general are relatively good. The printed manual,
which I printed on a color laser printer, weighs in at 153 pages. Had
a printed manual been included in the game, I would be much happier,
but I was unwilling to spend the extra $18 this would have required. A
lot of good information is contained in the manual that should have
been in the tutorials, in my opinion. For example, there is a training
mission on using your weapons. All you really get told is when to pull
the trigger. How to use the radar is skipped. Radar modes are
essentially skipped, especially ACM mode (which is useful in combat).
Similarly, EMCON levels are not mentioned. And this is just for
fighter-craft. I have no idea what has been skipped that would have
been useful with capital ships, except for what I read on shields. ALL
of the things I mention in this section should have been in the
training missions via auditory queues. Because the training missions
are all done via text instructions, it is impossible to include all
this detail without overloading the pilot with dozens of pages of
text. Manual quality is decent, and I give it a 7/10.

Gameplay... Sigh. I have to admit that I am thoroughly unimpressed.
The training missions are short, require a lot of text reading since
there is no audio instruction, and are not very thorough. Mission
briefings are stale, since there is no audio, no moving graphics, and
indeed, no real detail in the mission report. Combat does not get my
adrenaline rushing, for some reason. The space flight model seems
good, and you can turn off computer-thruster assistance for Newtonian
flight. I have only been involved in relatively small skirmishes so
far, so take that into consideration when reading this review. I have
nto gotten to capital ship combat, so this part of the review is by no
means thorough. I rate gameplay at 4/10.

The game has been very stable with the exception of the one crash to
the desktop mentioned during video configuration. Alt-tabbing the game
does sometimes freak out the game graphics upon return, but it all
gets fixed within a few seconds. The game does not lock up or crash
when alt-tabbing, which is nice.

In conclusion, I rate this game a 4 out of 10, which is poor. Visually
and sound-wise, it is VERY dated, and is more indicative of games
released 5-10 years ago. It looks and feels like an independently
created game, like a freeware or shareware game. Had I only paid $10
for the game, I would feel I got my money's worth. At $30, I feel I
got taken advantage of. To be fair, they DO have a demo, and I opted
not to play it before buying it, so I take 100% of the responsibility
here.

If you are a space sim fan, and have not played some of the classics,
I recommend you get one of them, like Freespace 2, I-War, or I-War 2.
Even old classics like Wing Commander Prophecy, TIE Fighter, etc.,
pulled me in more than this title has. I will stick through it, and
plan on finishing the campaign, so as to get the true feel of the
whole game. I have even downloading the Babylon 5 mod and the Star
Wars mod, and will try them out at some point. If my opinion of the
game changes drastically one way or the other, I will post some