Speakers: Altec or logitec or Creative

WolfWolf

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2002
Can anyone suggest which speaker is best for mp3 music play?
Altec Lansing 4100
Altec Lansing ATP5
Creative Inspire 5300
Logitec Z540

skligmund

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2002
I have the Logitech Z-340 (2 satellites and a sub) set, and I am impressed with them, especially since I got em' for 25 bucks new. They can crank pretty good, and they have good sound. They are not great speakers, but I would reccomend them. I would buy them again if I had to.

Oh, and the little blue LED light is really cool! I think it makes your computer go faster.... LOL :)

Water cooling is for the weak. Get liquid nitrogen.

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
<A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/video/20030108/index.html" target="_new">http://www6.tomshardware.com/video/20030108/index.html</A>

Check the link. THG did an extensive review that'll answer most of your questions better than we can.

I want to move to space, so I can overclock processors cooled to absolute zero.

WolfWolf

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2002
Unfortunately, the THG never said anything specific about 4100 and 5100 except for thier designs. Though it seems logitec to have better quality, I cant seem to weigh thier value compared to others. Altec lansing 4100 has more appealing design, where logitec dont but has better performance.

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
As far as sound-quality is concerned, you really should try to find someplace that sells the assorted speakers so you can do your own side-by-side comparison. Speakers are kinda like monitors. One person doesn't always prefer the same qualities as another person.

I have an older Antec 4.1 set, and I like it, though I am thinking of upgrading to a newer 5.1 set. If and when I do that, my decision will be almost entirely based on how much money I have to spend, as I always spend as much as I can possibly afford at any given time.

As far as value is concerned, again I would urge you to go give a listen to some speakers. You may even find that a less expensive set sounds better to you than a more expensive set.

There are certain things I never buy based on hardware site reviews: monitors, speakers, joysticks, mice, keyboards--pretty much anything that gives any sort of sensory feedback. These things are way too subjective. I figure every once in a while, I have to get off my butt and actually drive down to Frye's or Best Buy and see, touch, feel, and hear some of these things--so I can then come back home and buy them cheaper at newegg.com. :smile:

I want to move to space, so I can overclock processors cooled to absolute zero.

WolfWolf

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2002
Are there any difference between 2.1 and 4.1 if you are listening to MP3s and watch anime divx(more on MP3)? Where does the 4.1 and 2.1 difference kick in?

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
2.1 is a subwoofer and 2 speakers...4.1 is a woofer, two speakers and two sattelites...5.1 is a woofer, two speakers, two side sattelites and a center-front speaker, etc.

Obviously, the systems with sattelites are ideal for games, especially when using a sound card that supports EAX or A3D standards. This gives your computer the ability to provide dynamic, realtime 3D positional sound. It is also nice for DVD's, since you can enable surround sound like in a home theater. Newer speakers are coming with DTS remotes and other home theater options. Now, if ALL you're doing is listening to music, 2.1 is okay, though I personally prefer at least 4.1, which I think provides fuller and more encompassing sound. That's just my opinion, though...your mileage may vary. 5.1 or 6.1 would probably be a bit of a waste--though you might find out that the speakers you like best only come in 5.1 or 6.1 sets. More speakers never hurt, of course, and you can setup your speaker configuration in software to best suit your personal likes. Like I said, sound is a little too subjective for me to give you a hard-and-fast recommendation--especially since I use my sound mostly for games.

<-----Insert witty sig line here.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Twitch on 03/02/03 05:56 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
2.1 is 2 ordinary speakers (i.e. full range) and a subwoofer. The subwoofer will only play the bass part of the sound (the lower frequencies) while the 2 others reproduce the other parts. This is IMHO THE setup to have for listening to stereo music (if you have decent speakers that have no problem with reproducing the full bass range you can even ditch the subwoofer) because the music was meant to be listened to in this way IMHO. If you listen to stereo music through some sort of fancy surround setup, it'd be your system and its algorithm for upmixing the stereo to surround that does this for you and the results may be inferior to stereo itself.

4.1 and 5.1 are surround setups. The .1 always means the subwoofer (the LFE channel). Apart from the woofer, 4.1 consists of 2 front and 2 rear speakers and 5.1 adds to this a center front channel (which is a very good thing because normally the vocals in the music or the dialogues in movies are meant to played here i.e. in front of you in between the two front speakers). 6.1 has an additional rear center and 7.1 ditches this rear centre to have 2 side sattelites (i.e. 2 front, 2 rear, 1 left and 1 right, 1 center front and a subwoofer).

Two new formats for music, the SACD and the DVD-Audio are meant to be listened to using surround speakers (they have music recorded in 5.1 to them according to the taste of the artist, mixing engineer, etc.). But you can always listen to them in stereo too.

WolfWolf

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2002
Unfortunately, there arent any place where i could listen before buying.

So i have decided to get 2.1 speakers, since i dont have the space behind me to put the speakers and useless for mp3 listening.

As of now, I have rounded up my options based on the speakers that are available in my country.

Altec Lansing ATP3
Altec Lansing ACS54
Logitech Z340
Creative inspire 2100
Creative soundworks Digital
JBL Sonnet

As of now, JBL seems pretty good, based on my research.
I would appreciate if you can recommend a worthwhile speakers.

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
I like the Altec Lansing ATP, they have a small footprint, but good boom response and subwoofer. The Logitechs tend to have an overkill in bass, but they are a good value for the money. Creative speakers are generally weak, have tinny sound, and don't really have any good place for the stronger speaker systems. JBL makes good products, although, they have much more experience with real stereo systems than computer sets

Instead of Rdram, why not just merge 4 Sdram channels...

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Let me throw myself into the fray.

I'm an audiophile. That means I am always seeking the best sound I can find (and afford).

It has been my experience that 2.1 channels are the best for music. With 4.1 and up, you can end up with improper imaging (because the music is normally coded in plain stereo, but there are exceptions), and echo issues depending on where you have the speakers set up.

I would recommend the Logitech speakers, as they offer a good balance between value and performance. Depending on what music you listen to, you will have to adjust the sub's volume, but that is easy. Don't expect a lot of boom though. This is only a 20W sub.

For positioning, place the sub in a corner, with the driver facing directly into the room. Then place the satellites about two feet ahead and two feet apart, about 1/2 foot on either side of the monitor. This will give the best imaging, I have found. If you have a small desk, then put it back and apart as much as possible. They are shielded, however, so don't worry about distorting your monitor's picture.

Personally, I have my computer hooked up to my home theatre system (only two channels, but it's expensive to get 5.1 for under $2,500 at the quality I demand). I have the two towers about 1 foot diagonally from the corner. My subwoofer is about a foot from my right channel (it's a small room). This gives the best imaging, because if I try to get my sub in a corner, it would have to go in a rear corner and there it sounds distant and weak.

If you want more advice, feel free to post.

XP 2500+ Barton
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
MSI GF3 Ti500 w/64MB DDR
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio

My computer is bigger than your computer....

WolfWolf

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2002
It seems that I've narrowed down my choice to
Logitech Z340
Altec Lansing ATP3
Altec Lansing 621

They all are equally praised but i still want to know which will be suitable for my computer music experience. Note that I dont usually listen to music that loud. More of an easy night music, quite mood listening. So it became a question for me, since i dont need that much power, will i get a lower powered one? but by getting this lower one, will i also vut the quality? If indeed 621 will definitely sound better even at low volume level, then this is what i will get. But if logitech(which is cheapest among the 3) can provide the quality of ATP3 and 621 at the same low volume, then i will consider getting the speaker.

As you can tell, i am not yet decided and certainly confused. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Hi Wolf,
There is only one real way to assess speaker systems... listen to them.

See if you can find them in a store someplace so you can audition them... it's worth the extra effort, and what you end up buying may surprise you.

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b>

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
I have to agree with Teq here. Go to your local computer retailer (most large chains will work as well) and bring along some music you normally listen to, and a CD player or whatever medium you need. Ask the clerk to hook up the speakers, and then try them out. It's true that what you end up getting will surprise you (however, I must caution against those "flat" speakers, as they are usually designed for space and ergonomics, not quality).

XP 2500+ Barton
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
MSI GF3 Ti500 w/64MB DDR
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio

WolfWolf

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2002
Unfortunately, I cant find any place where i could hear the speaker first before i make my choice. Apparently, they dont want to open the box unless the person is going to buy the product. That is the reason why i am seeking for advice.

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
That is a pretty bad place to shop. Up here in the Great White North, we let people try out the speakers before they buy them. Even at large retailers they have all the speakers already setup, so you can listen to them any time. I advise you go somewhere else, personally. They probably don't like returns either, or processing your warranty servicing requests.

XP 2500+ Barton
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
MSI GF3 Ti500 w/64MB DDR
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
easily the best deal is the logitech z560s for $140 shipped online.

i prefer logitech after owning these. better than klipsch or any other brand becasue the sound quality is very near (klipsch is better in the highs and mids but no where close in bass performance) but the price is exponentially higher in the klipsch which makes their existence to anyone who cares about their money a moot point.

America- The Home of the Brave

Athlon 1700+, Epox 8RDA (NForce2), Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 80GB 8MB cache, 2x256mb Crucial PC2100 in Dual DDR, Geforce 3, Audigy, Z560s, MX500