Freelancer - any way to skip the campaign?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

My son bought Freelancer a few days ago, and likes it a lot, but would
prefer to just wander around without doing the programmed campaign
game. I've read on this group that you can do the free wandering after
you finish the campaign, but is there any way to just skip the
campaign if not interested in that, and just do the free wandering?

Thanks,

John
4 answers Last reply
More about freelancer skip campaign
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    "John Smith" <reply@this.newsgroup.com> wrote in message
    > My son bought Freelancer a few days ago, and likes it a lot, but would
    > prefer to just wander around without doing the programmed campaign
    > game. I've read on this group that you can do the free wandering after
    > you finish the campaign, but is there any way to just skip the
    > campaign if not interested in that, and just do the free wandering?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > John

    He could host his own server and play on it. I did that for a
    while. It doesn't take a lot of horsepower. There is an icon
    in the game directory for launching the server. Then you
    can see it on your "lan" list, and join it. In that mode, you
    just start with the newbie ship and 2k and it's do whatever
    you want, wherever you want. He may also enjoy playing
    multi with other people. But there is no way that I know
    of to completely skip the campaign.

    I recommend checking the MS freelancer site because there
    was a 1.1 patch for the server program, that fixed some bugs.
    I don't have a direct link handy. Can find it for you if you have
    trouble.

    Jim
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    Go here :-

    http://www.lancersreactor.com/t/ goto "downloads". Also get the Freelancer
    mod manager - flmminstaller.exe.

    100's of mods and about 4 or 5 that let you "free roam" without the
    campaign. Try bootstrap2 for no campaign. Many other mods add dozens of
    new ships and systems.

    "Jim Vieira" <whiplashr@wi.rr.com.remove.this.to.reply> wrote in message
    > "John Smith" <reply@this.newsgroup.com> wrote in message
    > > My son bought Freelancer a few days ago, and likes it a lot, but would
    > > prefer to just wander around without doing the programmed campaign
    > > game. I've read on this group that you can do the free wandering after
    > > you finish the campaign, but is there any way to just skip the
    > > campaign if not interested in that, and just do the free wandering?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > John
    >
    > He could host his own server and play on it. I did that for a
    > while. It doesn't take a lot of horsepower. There is an icon
    > in the game directory for launching the server. Then you
    > can see it on your "lan" list, and join it. In that mode, you
    > just start with the newbie ship and 2k and it's do whatever
    > you want, wherever you want. He may also enjoy playing
    > multi with other people. But there is no way that I know
    > of to completely skip the campaign.
    >
    > I recommend checking the MS freelancer site because there
    > was a 1.1 patch for the server program, that fixed some bugs.
    > I don't have a direct link handy. Can find it for you if you have
    > trouble.
    >
    > Jim

  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 07:23:08 GMT, "Jim Vieira"
    <whiplashr@wi.rr.com.remove.this.to.reply> wrote:

    >He could host his own server and play on it. I did that for a
    >while. It doesn't take a lot of horsepower. There is an icon
    >in the game directory for launching the server. Then you
    >can see it on your "lan" list, and join it. In that mode, you
    >just start with the newbie ship and 2k and it's do whatever
    >you want, wherever you want. He may also enjoy playing
    >multi with other people. But there is no way that I know
    >of to completely skip the campaign.

    Thanks, Jim. He decided to go ahead and finish the campaign. However,
    I also followed m1k's link to Lancer's Reactor and downloaded some
    mods for him, so now he has been hosting his own server on our LAN to
    try out the mods. Looks like now his little brother is going to save
    up his allowance to buy his own copy of Freelancer so they can play
    together in multiplayer over our LAN.

    >I recommend checking the MS freelancer site because there
    >was a 1.1 patch for the server program, that fixed some bugs.
    >I don't have a direct link handy. Can find it for you if you have
    >trouble.

    I haven't checked this yet, but I plan to do it to see what all the
    patch is supposed to fix. So far we haven't had any problem with him
    running his own server to play on.

    Thanks again.

    John
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 22:08:18 +1100, "m1k" <m1k@iinet.net.au> wrote:

    >Go here :-
    >
    >http://www.lancersreactor.com/t/ goto "downloads". Also get the Freelancer
    >mod manager - flmminstaller.exe.
    >
    >100's of mods and about 4 or 5 that let you "free roam" without the
    >campaign. Try bootstrap2 for no campaign. Many other mods add dozens of
    >new ships and systems.

    Thanks, m1k. I followed your link and downloaded a bunch of stuff from
    Lancer's Reactor - took forever to get some of them over our slow
    connection, finally I just started up GetRight and let them download
    overnight. Got FLMM, plus Rebalance mod and Porsche's Star Wars ships
    mod (the boys are big Star Wars fans).

    Thanks for your help.

    John

PC gaming Games IBM Video Games