phone replacement under insurance?

Last response: in Network Providers
June 9, 2004 11:00:29 PM

Was wondering what people are being offered/given for a replacement phone
when you make the insurance claim. The reason I ask is because I think I'm
going to be taking my phone in to have it tested in the next couple of days,
and i'm pretty sure it's gonna fail so I was just curious. I have the Sanyo
4900 currently, and I'm not eligible for a new phone with rebate, but if
insurance is giving out good phones, I might just go that route.

Also, anyone here have a review on the VI-5225 from LG?

Thanks,

Mark
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 11:20:09 PM

"Mark L" <ekbbbb1334@earthlink.dotnet> wrote in message
>I have the Sanyo 4900 currently, and I'm not eligible for a new phone with
rebate, but if
> insurance is giving out good phones, I might just go that route.
>
> Also, anyone here have a review on the VI-5225 from LG?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

*CORRECTION*... I AM eligible for the rebate

Mark
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 11:53:01 PM

In article <h7Jxc.27189$Tn6.13941@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
"Mark L" <ekbbbb1334@earthlink.dotnet> wrote:

> Was wondering what people are being offered/given for a replacement phone
> when you make the insurance claim. The reason I ask is because I think I'm
> going to be taking my phone in to have it tested in the next couple of days,
> and i'm pretty sure it's gonna fail so I was just curious. I have the Sanyo
> 4900 currently, and I'm not eligible for a new phone with rebate, but if
> insurance is giving out good phones, I might just go that route.

Typically refurbished junk, after copay.
Related resources
June 10, 2004 12:02:58 AM

(Røbert M.) wrote:
> Typically refurbished junk, after copay.

Copay is $35, and they will usually send you a refurbished version of
your model of phone. If your phone is old, you will get the next
closest replacement that is currently being offered, which would also be
a refurb...

Plus, you would eliminate yourself from the Sprint Handset Upgrade
program for another 18 months.

Eric
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 5:43:31 AM

In article <19550-40C7B342-22@storefull-3235.bay.webtv.net>,
caperenewal@webtv.net (Eric) wrote:

> (Røbert M.) wrote:
> > Typically refurbished junk, after copay.
>
> Copay is $35, and they will usually send you a refurbished version of
> your model of phone. If your phone is old, you will get the next
> closest replacement that is currently being offered, which would also be
> a refurb...
>
> Plus, you would eliminate yourself from the Sprint Handset Upgrade
> program for another 18 months.

Allegedly not, but in practice usually yes.
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 11:13:00 AM

In article <19550-40C7B342-22@storefull-3235.bay.webtv.net>,
caperenewal@webtv.net says...

> Plus, you would eliminate yourself from the Sprint Handset Upgrade
> program for another 18 months.
>
> Eric

That's been fixed, Eric. Refurbished phones do *not* reset the 18-
month "clock".

--
RØß
O/Siris

(O/Siris) wrote:
> That's been fixed, Eric. Refurbished phones
> do *not* reset the 18- month "clock".

That's good to hear. :)  It's nice to know that Sprint recognizes that
if a customer has to have a phone replaced, that its not always their
fault, and will still reward them with the upgrade program.

Eric
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 11:16:21 AM

In article <19550-40C7B342-22@storefull-3235.bay.webtv.net>,
caperenewal@webtv.net says...

> Plus, you would eliminate yourself from the Sprint Handset Upgrade
> program for another 18 months.

Just to use myself as an example: In December, I purchased a VM4500
from a friend who was porting out. Before that, my N400 was
activated in February. The rebate eligibility tool at
http://www.sprintrebates.com accurately states that I still qualify
for the upgrade program in August.

I had one customer ask about this tonight after receiving the ERP
phone. I assured her it would not. Confirmed it at the above site,
and told her she could check it herself to see that it doesn't
change.

If a refurbished phone ever calls you ineligible for the rebate, we
can and should override it.

--
RØß
O/Siris

In article <17061-40C8500C-169@storefull-3231.bay.webtv.net>,
caperenewal@webtv.net (Eric) wrote:

> (O/Siris) wrote:
> > That's been fixed, Eric. Refurbished phones
> > do *not* reset the 18- month "clock".
>
> That's good to hear. :)  It's nice to know that Sprint recognizes that
> if a customer has to have a phone replaced, that its not always their
> fault, and will still reward them with the upgrade program.

Its not fully fixed. The clock will be wrong, but the CSR is supposed to
catch that its a replacement phone. And you know how good CSRs are about
being knowledgeable?
June 10, 2004 6:01:43 PM

(Robert M.) wrote:
> Its not fully fixed. The clock will be wrong, but
> the CSR is supposed to catch that its a
> replacement phone. And you know how good
> CSRs are about being knowledgeable?

Well, it is at least a step in the right direction. Before, anyone who
would have a replacement phone would be told a flat out "Sorry, we can't
help you"... but now, even if you get a difficult CSR, you have a leg to
stand on and point out that you swapped phones only because the original
was defective. Therefore, still letting you qualify for the Handset
Upgrade Program.

Eric
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 8:45:06 PM

In article <17061-40C8787E-181@storefull-3231.bay.webtv.net>,
caperenewal@webtv.net (Eric) wrote:

> (Robert M.) wrote:
> > Its not fully fixed. The clock will be wrong, but
> > the CSR is supposed to catch that its a
> > replacement phone. And you know how good
> > CSRs are about being knowledgeable?
>
> Well, it is at least a step in the right direction. Before, anyone who
> would have a replacement phone would be told a flat out "Sorry, we can't
> help you"... but now, even if you get a difficult CSR, you have a leg to
> stand on and point out that you swapped phones only because the original
> was defective. Therefore, still letting you qualify for the Handset
> Upgrade Program.

Hopefully it works that way. I'm waiting to receive a replacement for my
defective 5400. Apparently there is a giant file of "known Sanyo
issues", and Sprint folks will suddenly clam up if you mention it.

My theory is that some chips get hot during a call, and long calls cause
the heat to negatively impact the circuitry.

I asked Sanyo and got a form letter answer:

" All issues concerning Sanyo phones have been made
available to Sprint service. Please contact Sprint to make
adjustments to any affected phones "
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 1:59:00 AM

In article <rmarkoff-A35B26.09014210062004@news5.west.earthlink.net>,
rmarkoff@faq.city says...

> Its not fully fixed.

Yes it is. For refurbished phones, the clock is not reset. Period.

If you accept a corporate discount, and that requires a new account
number, that's not fixed yet. If you move to a different market,
that's not fixed yet. If you're given a new phone, that's not fixed
yet. But getting a refurbished phones *does not reset the 18-month
clock.*

You can confirm it yourself at http://www.sprintrebates.com

--
RØß