Can't activate Windows 8

quentinjdpie

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
I Built myself a new computer and along with it a windows 8 OEM. I Do not have access to ethernet, so I Picked up a wireless adapter (The netgear WNA3100) And then proceeded to install windows 8. I have experienced a few annoying problems:

1. This adapter was intended for windows 7. It can't use any windows 8 features.
2. Pictures on google chrome will not load.
3. I cannot log into minecraft using the downloaded version.

I Figured there would be new drivers for the adapter. There were. I Downloaded them, followed the instructions, and restarted my computer. Nothing changed. Is there a solution to this? I can't return the adapter as I bought it well over a month ago. And I am unwilling to spend any more money. As I already had to spend $200.00 More than expected on this computer.

I don't see how a wireless adapter "can't use any Windows 8 features", prevent images (specifically) from loading in Chrome, or prevent Minecraft from logging in, unless you have no connection through it at all (in which case nothing needing network access would work). The adapter either connects to your wireless, or it doesn't.

Try re-downloading version 2.1:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNA3100/WNA3100_V2.1.0.4.zip

Failing that, try 2.0:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNA3100/WNA3100%20Software%20Version%202.0.zip

quentinjdpie

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

To be more specific, I Cannot use any windows 8 applications or go to the windows store to download more, or check my email, etc.

quentinjdpie

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

Though I would love to do just that, I am around 40-50 feet away from our modem and cannot move it any closer.

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
....even for the sake of an initial wired connection?

"2. Pictures on google chrome will not load. " - does this mean that other 'things' e.g. text do download?

Failing that you might, unfortunately, want to look at another wireless adapter/usb dongle, this time known to be W8 compatible.

When the wireless tries to connect to the network, does it say it actually connects? Can you check the IP settings? Verify you are getting a valid IP from your access point, and that the Gateway and DNS server IP addresses are also valid (gateway will be the internal IP of the router, and the DNS may also be the internal IP of the router, but may also be something different).