XP Doesn't Recognize HDD

Mr_Flibbles

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2002
Hello friends. I installed the wonderful new WD1200JB hard drive in my computer running WinXP, and I can't seem to access it, format it, or do anything with it. Windows recognizes the drive in the device manager, but when I click the "populate" button, it says the drive is not initialized. How the heck do I initialize it?

I've got an 80GB as my master and put the new 120GB WD1200JB as it's slave. I also have a burner. I'm running off the KG7-R mobo.

Thanks,

Trevor

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Launch Disk Management Console by typing "<b>diskmgmt.msc</b>" (w/o quotation marks) in <b>Run</b> command. Right-click on the new hard drive at lower pane (It would be <b>Disk 1</b>) and choose create partition. Follow the New Partition Wizard's instructions.
Alternatively, if you have Win 98 or ME startup disk, you can partition it by using FDisk.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by khha4113 on 03/02/03 08:39 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

budwyzerferret

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2003
Proper do? Anyway I'm running XP and had the same problem and I used the latter method. Used Windows ME startup disk to boot to a dos prompt then ran fdisk.

Then change the current drive (important! you don't want to format c:!!) to match your new one. Then choose "create primary dos partition" enable large disk support. Fdisk will then check the drive's integrity. I did that and heard "grind grind" and saw "no free space" so I then knew that drive was history even though it was recognized in the bios. But in your case I'm sure at that point the disk will be partitioned. When that's done you can then run the format command. After that XP should recognize the disk.

Good luck