RNP vs Focusrite TwinTrak Pro

Last response: in Home Audio
February 6, 2005 1:51:27 AM

Well, after seeing so much about the RNP/RNC here, I'm curious to compare it
to the Focusrite TwinTrak Pro. Here's my setup:

Home studio, in dedicated basement room
Music styles: Classical to pop/rock, some jazz. Lotsa contemporary
Christian.
Mics: Shure SM57, SM58, SM81; AKG 451, 451EB, C3000B; EV RE20
Previous preamp: Mackie 1202 or 1604VLZ
Comp: dbx 1066
Previous recorder: Roland VS880
Current interface: MOTU 828mkII

The C300B w/ 1604VLZ preamp sounds 'constricted' or 'not open' when I hit it
full voice; the best I can figure is I'm up against the preamp. I'm trying
to improve the clarity and functionality of the mics I have (while saving
for a killer LDC). Price differentials in the two setups is not too big of a
deal, but I can't swing too much more at this time.

So which combo gives the most flexibility and quality?
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 1:51:28 AM

In article <P5cNd.1631$oO.1508@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
"DScott" <dlscott@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Well, after seeing so much about the RNP/RNC here, I'm curious to compare
> it
> to the Focusrite TwinTrak Pro. Here's my setup:
>
> Home studio, in dedicated basement room
> Music styles: Classical to pop/rock, some jazz. Lotsa contemporary
> Christian.
> Mics: Shure SM57, SM58, SM81; AKG 451, 451EB, C3000B; EV RE20
> Previous preamp: Mackie 1202 or 1604VLZ
> Comp: dbx 1066
> Previous recorder: Roland VS880
> Current interface: MOTU 828mkII
>
> The C300B w/ 1604VLZ preamp sounds 'constricted' or 'not open' when I hit
> it
> full voice; the best I can figure is I'm up against the preamp. I'm
> trying
> to improve the clarity and functionality of the mics I have (while saving
> for a killer LDC). Price differentials in the two setups is not too big
> of a
> deal, but I can't swing too much more at this time.
>
> So which combo gives the most flexibility and quality?

I have no experience with the Focusrite, but I do have the RNC/RNP. Some
here may disagree with me but I think its role is better as a dedicated
stereo setup, because the compressor is a true stereo compressor, with
no seperate l/r controls with optional linking. Great sound, but not
very flexible, no eq, no digitalŠ
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 5:44:04 AM

> Well, after seeing so much about the RNP/RNC here, I'm curious to compare
it
> to the Focusrite TwinTrak Pro. Here's my setup:
>
> Home studio, in dedicated basement room
> Music styles: Classical to pop/rock, some jazz. Lotsa contemporary
> Christian.
> Mics: Shure SM57, SM58, SM81; AKG 451, 451EB, C3000B; EV RE20
> Previous preamp: Mackie 1202 or 1604VLZ
> Comp: dbx 1066
> Previous recorder: Roland VS880
> Current interface: MOTU 828mkII
>
> The C300B w/ 1604VLZ preamp sounds 'constricted' or 'not open' when I hit
it
> full voice; the best I can figure is I'm up against the preamp. I'm trying
> to improve the clarity and functionality of the mics I have (while saving
> for a killer LDC). Price differentials in the two setups is not too big of
> deal, but I can't swing too much more at this time.
>
> So which combo gives the most flexibility and quality?

The preamp is definitely the weak link, but printing compression on vocals
isn't the answer. If you're mixing in the box, hardware compressors aren't
practical unless they achieve something a plug-in compressor doesn't, and
the RNC isn't in that category IMO, nor is the 1066. I can't see how you'd
have any reason to buy anything but mics, preamps, and dare I ask what
you're using for monitors...?

I'd start by selling off the 1066 and the 1604 to pay for a Digimax LT,
which will give you 8 preamps in the same class as the RNP, and add 8 inputs
to your interface, all for $800. I'd also cross-grade away from the C3000.
The fewer mics you have, the more versatile they need to be, something AKG
LDC's don't do as well as the NT1000, NTK, AT4050, or TLM-103, among others.
February 6, 2005 7:21:33 PM

"Sugarite" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
> The preamp is definitely the weak link, but printing compression on vocals
> isn't the answer. If you're mixing in the box, hardware compressors
aren't
> practical unless they achieve something a plug-in compressor doesn't, and
> the RNC isn't in that category IMO, nor is the 1066. I can't see how
you'd
> have any reason to buy anything but mics, preamps, and dare I ask what
> you're using for monitors...?

I've played around with the built in compressors in CoolEdit, Cubase, and PT
Free, and on vocals I'll take the RNC over any of them hands down. I like
what the RNC does, especially in 'nice' mode, and I can't any of the above
digital compressors to sound that way. I got to spend a little time playing
with the UA1 plugins, and although they worked better than the standard
plugins I still liked the RNC better overall, at least on vocals.

> I'd start by selling off the 1066 and the 1604 to pay for a Digimax LT,
> which will give you 8 preamps in the same class as the RNP, and add 8
inputs
> to your interface, all for $800. I'd also cross-grade away from the
C3000.
> The fewer mics you have, the more versatile they need to be, something AKG
> LDC's don't do as well as the NT1000, NTK, AT4050, or TLM-103, among
others.

I haven't A/B'd the Digimax to the RNP, but I have an RNP and I've played
with the Digimax, and again I'll take the RNP any day. I'd really be
surprised to find that Presonus can produce preamp channels at less than
half the price per channel and have it sound better, but that's just my
opinion. The Sytek is about the same per channel as the RNP and also sounds
really good, but different. I love the Sytek for drums but I prefer the RNP
for vocals.

Sean
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 11:08:18 PM

"Sugarite" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
> The preamp is definitely the weak link, but printing compression on vocals
> isn't the answer. If you're mixing in the box, hardware compressors
> aren't
> practical unless they achieve something a plug-in compressor doesn't, and
> the RNC isn't in that category IMO, nor is the 1066. I can't see how
> you'd
> have any reason to buy anything but mics, preamps, and dare I ask what
> you're using for monitors...?
On the front, I typically use compression for limiting 'overs' - if I want
to smash the sound, I do that 'in the box'. The compression is not driving
the buy, it's mostly a nice passenger along for the ride with my preamp
decision. Having more compression around is not a bad thing for me, I _do_
occasionally split out some pieces for live sound. That's a totally
different story, though; it's no big deal for this acquisition phase.

I haven't forgotten the monitors, it's just not part of this question. And
if you're going to talk monitors, you should talk acoustic treatments...

> I'd start by selling off the 1066 and the 1604 to pay for a Digimax LT,
> which will give you 8 preamps in the same class as the RNP, and add 8
> inputs
> to your interface, all for $800.
Not bad; I'll look into that. The 1604 stays - it works fine for the live
stuff I get into. The 1202 got sold.

One (previously) undisclosed criteria is that I'd like to have a DI input as
well, so I can take just one piece with me when I play bass and an amp is
not required. Of course, a compressor is necessary at that point. Again, I
have other options here outside this question.

> I'd also cross-grade away from the C3000.
> The fewer mics you have, the more versatile they need to be, something AKG
> LDC's don't do as well as the NT1000, NTK, AT4050, or TLM-103, among
> others.
Yeah, that's why I'm saving pennies for a better LDC - the TLM-103 is my
current target.
!