Win 7 Ultimate > System Restore every day!

Mates,

In trying to revive my 2004 Dell Dimension 8400 [P4 630 3.0GHz, 3GB RAM, WD 500GB, Quadro FX570]. The P4 630 was -I think- the first 64-bit version. I ran the Win 7 compatibility test and it liked all the components.

This was originally using XP, but I decided for it's second life to use Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

After a careful install of the OS, I added AutoCad 2007, Corel Technical X5, WP X4, Sketchup and a few others. The C: partition is 100GB and contains about 35GB.

The 8400 ran very well and actually improved it's Passmark score slightly over the previous XP-64.

The problem is, this setup requires running system restore almost every day. Plus, it seems to delete all but the last three restore points. Today, I ran restore twice and both times Win said the restore was unsuccessful.
I was resigned to reinstalling everything. However, when restarting after the second attempt, it ran fine. I don't understand this aspect.

The one questionable component is the sound card, which is an e-mu 0404PCI. This has XP ans Vista drivers, but the drivers for Win7 are from Creative (owns e-mu) but listed as "beta".

Any thoughts on this situation? If
I can't find out the reason for these freezes at startup (unable to start), I might be doomed to restore 3 or 4 times a week!

I just can't trust this computer a the moment, waiting for the next disaster. Am I pushing this elderly computer by using Win 7 64 Ultimate? I can revert it to XP if its 'worth it.

Very disappointed after all this work.

TA!

Cheers,

BambiBoom

doct3rphil

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
I used to have that PC, Vista ran fine, so in theory 7 would. Update the BIOS from support.dell.com first, reset BIOS settings to defaults, maybe reformat with a new hard drive, maybe ram is bad. hard to really say without a specific error

doct3rphil,

Good points and before the Win 7 update, I did update the 8400's BIOS to A09- the latest, and had reformatted the HD, which is 4 or 5 years old. The HD should have fairly low hours as I haven't used the 8400 for about three years. I will check for BIOS default settings and check RAM. The 8400 had 2GB (max 4) and I added 1GB, but an inexpensive eBay piece.

Thanks for your reply!

Cheers,

BambiBoom

TRENDING THREADS