Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Run multiple instances of 1 program

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
June 13, 2012 3:40:34 AM

ok I need to Run multiple instances of 1 program at once (prob 6 or 8 (cpu power is not an issue)) but theres a catch… there is a problem with the program and it only works right if you right-click on the desktop icon and click "run as the administrator" … (each instance would be interacting with a different usb/serial/Com port device i don't know if that would be a problem)

<<<I have heard of using sandboxing but i don't know very much..>>>
June 13, 2012 4:07:40 AM

also comment if you think there is a better section this should be under
a b $ Windows 7
June 13, 2012 1:28:21 PM

Umm, what goes wrong when you try to do this? I have run multiple instances of many apps without any issues. Is the particular program failing to open the second time? Or just giving control to the first instance when you run the second?

Is that a tap or a weapon in your avatar? I keep a 6-32 tap in my computer toolbox to enlarge those pesky M3 holes.
Related resources
a c 215 $ Windows 7
June 13, 2012 2:55:08 PM

Low level access to hardware (usb, serial,...) will trigger UAC or need to be run as administrator. This is normal. I don't see how this would effect multiple instances though unless they are fighting over resources. even then, the program should launch then error.
June 13, 2012 3:16:32 PM

Press and hold *Ctrl+Shift* while clicking on the shortcut.

a b $ Windows 7
June 13, 2012 3:49:50 PM

Some programs refuse to run more then once like Steam. Knowing more about the program will help.

June 13, 2012 4:45:27 PM

WyomingKnott said:
Umm, what goes wrong when you try to do this? I have run multiple instances of many apps without any issues. Is the particular program failing to open the second time? Or just giving control to the first instance when you run the second?

Is that a tap or a weapon in your avatar? I keep a 6-32 tap in my computer toolbox to enlarge those pesky M3 holes.

well the program is for this system at my tae kwon do school ( http://www.daedopss.com/product/scoring-system/ ) and when we get 2 or more systems i want to be able to run up to 8 instances on a desktop. When i open the program by double clicking it can't detect the wireless receiver and i have to quit the program and just right click and select run as administrator.
when the program is already open and i try the icon->right-click->run as admin. it does nothing.

and my avatar i the S3 Arctic by Wicked Lasers http://www.wickedlasers.com/

Best solution

a c 215 $ Windows 7
June 13, 2012 4:59:14 PM

Since it does nothing when an instance is already running, it's possible it's checking for an already running instance and if finds one, it immediately ends the process. I've written several programs that do just that.
June 13, 2012 5:45:40 PM

is there any way to isolate the programs so they can't see each other or something?
a c 215 $ Windows 7
June 13, 2012 5:57:15 PM

It's doubtful. Windows tracks applications and open windows. Any program can check that list.
July 2, 2012 5:33:57 AM

Best answer selected by bsancken.
April 5, 2013 12:02:33 PM

Wisecracker said:

Press and hold *Ctrl+Shift* while clicking on the shortcut.

Thank you! This worked perfectly on the 5000 year old version of Lotus WordPro that I have to use at work.
!