Layla with Cooledit Pro - Latency / Synchronization proble..

Last response: in Home Audio
February 6, 2005 6:04:59 PM

Setup:

Layla20 (with PCI Card)
Windows XP.
MSI Motherboard with 1GB Processor and onboard Audigy AC97 Sound Card
Cooledit Pro

Task:

I'm trying to record 9 simultaneous tracks of a live band (8 tracks from
Layla and 1 from Audigy onboard sound card).

Problem:

Made a 4 hour continuous recording. When played back it is OK for a
limited time (60 min) then suddenly the tracks are seriously out of
synchronization (out of time with each other) for the rest of the
recording. The band are mad!!!

Question:

What are the possible causes of this for me to investigate?

CPU Speed / RAM Size / Disk Access Speed?
Buffer Settings in Cooledit?
Bit Rate in Layla Console or Cooledit?
The fact that I am using one of the inputs of Onboard Sound Card
simultaneously with Laylas 8 inputs?

I don't expect instant solutions but some guidance would be appreciated
so next time I record I have a chance of success.
I am willing to upgrade the PC if this is a likely culprit.

Cheers Jeff
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 6:05:00 PM

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 15:04:59 +1100, jottery
<jottery@becsystems.com.au> wrote:

>The fact that I am using one of the inputs of Onboard Sound Card
>simultaneously with Laylas 8 inputs?

(opening big can of worms...)
Using different soundcards with multitrack programs doesn't usually
work very well (I think because different sound cards have different
clocks on them).
But there could also be speed issues with the computer, causing
glitches now and then during recording. Have you checked if all the
track files are of exactly the same length (the same number of
samples)? Does it keep the sync if you do a long recording of fewer
tracks?
You might also have some issues with PCI IRQ sharing, have you checked
what goes into which slot? (the motherboard manual could be of help
here)

Good luck!

Martin
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 6:05:00 PM

jottery wrote:
> Setup:
>
> Layla20 (with PCI Card)
> Windows XP.
> MSI Motherboard with 1GB Processor and onboard Audigy AC97 Sound Card
> Cooledit Pro
>
> Task:
>
> I'm trying to record 9 simultaneous tracks of a live band (8 tracks
from
> Layla and 1 from Audigy onboard sound card).
>
> Problem:
>
> Made a 4 hour continuous recording. When played back it is OK for a
> limited time (60 min) then suddenly the tracks are seriously out of
> synchronization (out of time with each other) for the rest of the
> recording. The band are mad!!!

i have found cool edit pro, any version, to freak on win98se, 2000, and
XP when attempting to record multiple tracks for a long time. i
suggest it may not be your hardware. in fact, now that i'm in xp, and
i've done many of the recommended "audio" tweaks to my PC, cool edit
also crashes when i'm attempting to overdub (record) a single track
over a mix that has more than 10 or 12 playback tracks. i do however
like cool edit for mixing, it sounds great! i use vegas to capture, it
seems better at recording long performances without hiccuping.

that said, there may be a conflict with using your motherboard's sound
capability at the same time as the layla.

SB
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 6:05:00 PM

In article <cu453b$2dg$1@news-02.connect.com.au> jottery@becsystems.com.au writes:

> Made a 4 hour continuous recording. When played back it is OK for a
> limited time (60 min) then suddenly the tracks are seriously out of
> synchronization (out of time with each other) for the rest of the
> recording. The band are mad!!!
>
> Question:
>
> What are the possible causes of this for me to investigate?

First thing I'd try to do is repeat it. Make another 1+ hour recording
of the same number of tracks. You don't need a band, just patch a
radio into all the inputs and go to dinner.

I would expect that the onboard sound card's track may get out of sync
with the Layla tracks since you didn't set them up (if it's even
possible to do so) to use a common word clock, but all eight Layla
tracks should stay in sync with themselves.

There may be some limit to file size on your computer and if it closes
a file and opens a new one to continue the recording, it may have
shifted things a bit. Can you fix it by sliding tracks? That is, once
they got out of sync, did they stay in the same relative position for
a while?

February 6, 2005 7:35:44 PM

"jottery" <jottery@becsystems.com.au> wrote in message

> Setup:
>
> Layla20 (with PCI Card)
> Windows XP.
> MSI Motherboard with 1GB Processor and onboard Audigy AC97 Sound Card
> Cooledit Pro
>
> Task:
>
> I'm trying to record 9 simultaneous tracks of a live band (8 tracks
> from Layla and 1 from Audigy onboard sound card).
>
> Problem:
>
> Made a 4 hour continuous recording. When played back it is OK for a
> limited time (60 min) then suddenly the tracks are seriously out of
> synchronization (out of time with each other) for the rest of the
> recording. The band are mad!!!
>
> Question:
>
> What are the possible causes of this for me to investigate?
>
> CPU Speed / RAM Size / Disk Access Speed?
> Buffer Settings in Cooledit?
> Bit Rate in Layla Console or Cooledit?
> The fact that I am using one of the inputs of Onboard Sound Card
> simultaneously with Laylas 8 inputs?

> I don't expect instant solutions but some guidance would be
> appreciated so next time I record I have a chance of success.
> I am willing to upgrade the PC if this is a likely culprit.

I have a Layla20 that I attempted to use in a similar fashion. I was trying
to record 8 tracks for about an hour and a half. An onboard sound interface
was present, but not used. I tried it on a 1100 MHz system and a 2000 MHz
systems using Via and SIS chipset-based motherboards, respectively.

I had a lot of problems with lockups and out-of-synch sitautions starting
around the 45 minute mark. I found that the same
failures occurred whether or not I doubled the RAM from 256 to 512 megs.

After running into this problem about 6 times, I simply replaced the Layal20
with a Delta1010. The problem went away.

I suspect that there is either a hardware design problem with the Laya20
that makes it impossible to be used stably for appreciably > 30 minutes with
XP, or a more specific problem with the XP driver.
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 8:40:08 AM

Never had a problem using just the laylas (i have three in the same puter) 24
i/o just fine for an hour or more. But these are tied together with word clock,
maybe your cards (layla and whatever sounblaster type thing you might have )
are simply running diffferent clock speeds.
HTH Jer@sundogaudio, chicago
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 3:07:17 PM

"Sundogaudio" <sundogaudio@aol.com> wrote in message

> Never had a problem using just the laylas (i have three in the same
> puter) 24 i/o just fine for an hour or more. But these are tied
> together with word clock, maybe your cards (layla and whatever
> sounblaster type thing you might have ) are simply running diffferent
> clock speeds. HTH Jer@sundogaudio, chicago

Check my post again. I'm recording with just a Laya20. There's nothing else
active to synch with.

Please do tell more about your configuration.
!