spacesims

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

i read an earlier post on this but wanted some fresh opinions. i've
researched NEXUS: the jupiter incident; starhatter; and darkspace. what
i'm wondering are there space sim out there that are mmporg's ? Are these
them? i know about sw galaxies. i have it just don't play it anymore. the
framrate got so bad in the citys that you could hardly play it and i was
on a cable modem. What do you think of the above three?

balth
91 answers Last reply
More about spacesims
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 17:04:31 -0500, "balthazor31503"
    <balthazor31503@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > what i'm wondering are there space sim out there that are mmporg's ?

    www.eve-online.com

    I have enjoyed EvE for more than a year now. It gets stale if you do
    the same things all the time, and it *can* be very frustrating to try
    to get ahead. ~10k players online at any given time in the western
    world, and always someone to chat with.

    regards,

    Strange Bru
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 11:13:00 -0500, Isla Nublar <not@this.net> wrote:

    >On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 17:04:31 -0500, "balthazor31503"
    ><balthazor31503@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >> what i'm wondering are there space sim out there that are mmporg's ?
    >
    >www.eve-online.com
    >
    >I have enjoyed EvE for more than a year now. It gets stale if you do
    >the same things all the time, and it *can* be very frustrating to try
    >to get ahead. ~10k players online at any given time in the western
    >world, and always someone to chat with.
    >
    >regards,
    >
    >Strange Bru

    I played EVE for about a year and a half and finally left.
    It's got a lot of cool features. (detailed economy, lots of
    customizing options for ships, lots of ships to choose from, ect)

    The main problems with it are long term bugs, and the GVP combat
    system.
    There's bugs in the chat channels that have been there for more than 6
    months. Ships bouncing off of objects and being thrown dozens or
    hundreds of KM has been there for a long time. Getting stuck on
    asteroids has been there since beta. The list goes on and on.

    There's no real sense of fair play in the combat either. While other
    games have PVP (player VS player) EVE has GVP. (ganksquad VS player)

    You see EVE has lower security space where piracy is possible. Since
    it's not against the rules for stronger players to attack much weaker
    ones, the fights tend to be VERY one sided. 5 or 10 against 1 isn't
    unusual. If you're a new character with nothing worth stealing, you
    still get blowed up just to make a pretty explosion to watch. (and
    there goes all the work you put into getting that ship and equipping
    it.)

    Corporation and alliance wars tend to work the same way. If you have a
    vastly superior force you attack. If it's an even fight or you're
    outnumbered you run away and hide.

    Pretty much the only fair combat against other players you get is
    against friends and that takes some special organizing to set up.
    (need to be in the same corp and gang to fight without loosing
    security rating)

    The PVE (player VS enviroment) aspect of it can be fun for a while,
    but eventually some jerk is going to try and ruin your day just
    because he can.

    It probably sounds like I'm a disgruntled ex player who lost a lot of
    stuff to pirates and ganksquads. That's not really true. I played that
    game long enough to avoid most combat I didn't want and seldom lost
    ships. When I left I had 280m in cash and about 200m in ships.
    It just got boring to see players using the game mechanics to win at
    any cost.

    If you're thinking of signing up I recommend going to their web site
    and reading the forums for a couple of hours to find out what the
    players think of the game. (they're open to the public to read but not
    post) WWW.eve-online.com

    Remove nospam_ to reply by email

    Jeff H........
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:12:46 GMT, Jeff Holinski <Holinski@shaw.ca>
    wrote ...

    .... much that is true. In fact, I don't dispute a word in your post.
    But the richness of the environment has helped me put up with all the
    stuff you mentioned.

    Strange Bru
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:00:54 -0500, Isla Nublar <not@this.net> wrote:

    >On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:12:46 GMT, Jeff Holinski <Holinski@shaw.ca>
    >wrote ...
    >
    >... much that is true.

    What is true?

    >In fact, I don't dispute a word in your post.

    What post?

    >But the richness of the environment has helped me put up with all the
    >stuff you mentioned.

    Please adopt the normal courtesies of usenet, and QUOTE the post you
    are responding to. Otherwise nobody else has a clue what you are
    talking about.

    Lemming
    --
    Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 01:51:55 +0000, Lemming
    <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:00:54 -0500, Isla Nublar <not@this.net> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:12:46 GMT, Jeff Holinski <Holinski@shaw.ca>
    >>wrote ...
    >>
    >>... much that is true.
    >
    >What is true?
    >
    >>In fact, I don't dispute a word in your post.
    >
    >What post?
    >
    >>But the richness of the environment has helped me put up with all the
    >>stuff you mentioned.
    >
    >Please adopt the normal courtesies of usenet, and QUOTE the post you
    >are responding to. Otherwise nobody else has a clue what you are
    >talking about.
    >
    >Lemming

    >Can I go now?
    >
    >Lemming
    >--
    >Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.

    I wish you would.
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 21:06:06 -0500, Isla Nublar <not@this.net> wrote:

    >On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 01:51:55 +0000, Lemming
    ><thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:00:54 -0500, Isla Nublar <not@this.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:12:46 GMT, Jeff Holinski <Holinski@shaw.ca>
    >>>wrote ...
    >>>
    >>>... much that is true.
    >>
    >>What is true?
    >>
    >>>In fact, I don't dispute a word in your post.
    >>
    >>What post?
    >>
    >>>But the richness of the environment has helped me put up with all the
    >>>stuff you mentioned.
    >>
    >>Please adopt the normal courtesies of usenet, and QUOTE the post you
    >>are responding to. Otherwise nobody else has a clue what you are
    >>talking about.
    >>
    >>Lemming
    >
    >>Can I go now?
    >>
    >>Lemming
    >>--
    >>Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.
    >
    >I wish you would.

    Well, you got it half right. Maybe it's my fault: perhaps I should
    have also spelled out that it's also courteous not to add to the
    quoted text words which weren't originally there. Keep trying, you'll
    get it eventually.

    Lemming
    --
    Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 00:04:46 +0000, Lemming
    <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >Well, you got it half right. Maybe it's my fault: perhaps I should
    >have also spelled out that it's also courteous not to add to the
    >quoted text words which weren't originally there. Keep trying, you'll
    >get it eventually.

    You're not a Lemming. You're a pernicious little troll. And you've hit
    my killfile after only two posts, which has to be a record for me.
    Ten years in usenet, and no one before you has been able to convince
    me so quickly of his complete uselessness. Congratulations, I guess.
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    "Isla Nublar" <not@this.net> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 00:04:46 +0000, Lemming
    > <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    > >Well, you got it half right. Maybe it's my fault: perhaps I should
    > >have also spelled out that it's also courteous not to add to the
    > >quoted text words which weren't originally there. Keep trying, you'll
    > >get it eventually.
    >
    > You're not a Lemming. You're a pernicious little troll. And you've hit
    > my killfile after only two posts, which has to be a record for me.
    > Ten years in usenet, and no one before you has been able to convince
    > me so quickly of his complete uselessness. Congratulations, I guess.

    Lemming does have a strong personal zeal for excellence.
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 06:05:37 GMT, "Bill Huffman" <bhuffma1@san.rr.com>
    wrote:

    >"Isla Nublar" <not@this.net> wrote in message
    >> You're not a Lemming. You're a pernicious little troll. And you've hit
    >> my killfile after only two posts, which has to be a record for me.
    >> Ten years in usenet, and no one before you has been able to convince
    >> me so quickly of his complete uselessness. Congratulations, I guess.
    >
    >Lemming does have a strong personal zeal for excellence.

    Back in September 2004 s/he posted a couple of messages that actually
    had CONTENT about space-sims. For quite some time before that, and
    since from what I can see, Lemming's posts are just sniping about
    netiquette with frequent forays into uncalled for nastiness.

    The right way to handle that is to start a .moderated group and become
    the totalitarian dick you want to be.

    Also, I would appreciate a pointer to the FAQ.

    /*
    ** "Quack!"
    */
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    > On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 06:05:37 GMT, "Bill Huffman" <bhuffma1@san.rr.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Isla Nublar" <not@this.net> wrote in message
    > >> You're not a Lemming. You're a pernicious little troll. And you've hit
    > >> my killfile after only two posts, which has to be a record for me.
    > >> Ten years in usenet,

    "In" usenet? Sort of like in "Tron"?

    > >> and no one before you has been able to convince
    > >> me so quickly of his complete uselessness. Congratulations, I guess.
    > >
    > >Lemming does have a strong personal zeal for excellence.

    I've noticed his personal zeal is particularly strong after he's had a go at
    the rollmop herring.

    > Back in September 2004 s/he posted a couple of messages that actually
    > had CONTENT about space-sims.

    De gustibus non est disputandum: even Homer nods.

    > For quite some time before that, and
    > since from what I can see, Lemming's posts are just sniping about
    > netiquette with frequent forays into uncalled for nastiness.
    >
    > The right way to handle that is to start a .moderated group and become
    > the totalitarian dick you want to be.
    >
    > Also, I would appreciate a pointer to the FAQ.

    Here is the archive you requested:

    http://www.jonathonrobinson.com/3.0/web/webtsos.html

    > /*
    > ** "Quack!"
    > */

    Your onomatopoeia is inpherior.

    Bret
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 23:19:32 GMT, "Bret Ripley" <ripley@olywa.net>
    wrote:

    >> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 06:05:37 GMT, "Bill Huffman" <bhuffma1@san.rr.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> >"Isla Nublar" <not@this.net> wrote in message

    I've been called worse.

    Ten years, by Kibo. That is a very long time to go without a clue.

    >"In" usenet? Sort of like in "Tron"?

    >> >Lemming does have a strong personal zeal for excellence.
    >
    >I've noticed his personal zeal is particularly strong after he's had a go at
    >the rollmop herring.
    >
    >> Back in September 2004 s/he posted a couple of messages that actually
    >> had CONTENT about space-sims.

    I sincerely doubt that. I haven't posted anything about space-sims on
    here since about September 1999. Not since I realised that space-sims
    were off topic on this froup.

    >De gustibus non est disputandum: even Homer nods.

    Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

    >> For quite some time before that, and
    >> since from what I can see, Lemming's posts are just sniping about
    >> netiquette with frequent forays into uncalled for nastiness.

    Uh, oh ... I've been googled.

    >> The right way to handle that is to start a .moderated group and become
    >> the totalitarian dick you want to be.

    When your mommy said "you should say 'please' and 'thank-you'" did you
    call her a totalitarian bitch-cow? When your teachers at school
    suggested you write in ink rather than crayon, did you tell them they
    will be first against the wall when the revolution comes? Do you
    killfile everyone who points out your dismal lack of netiquette? If
    so, your bit-bucket must be fuller than DKS's.

    >> Also, I would appreciate a pointer to the FAQ.

    I'm still writing it. More accurately, I'm still waiting for someone
    to ask some questions which aren't about Derek Smart.

    >Here is the archive you requested:
    >
    >http://www.jonathonrobinson.com/3.0/web/webtsos.html

    Yer a funny guy, Bret. Or so Br d tells me. Where is Br d anyway?

    >> /*
    >> ** "Quack!"
    >> */
    >
    >Your onomatopoeia is inpherior.

    Since Ms. Nubbler has me killfiled, I can't read any of her posts, but
    I do think the following link might be of use to her:

    http://www.soft-land.org/cgi-bin/doc.pl?doc=documenti/welcome

    Do you think she's getting a clue yet, after her whole ten days on -
    sorry *in* - usenet?

    Lemming AKA Rodent
    --
    Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    wrote:

    >"Isla Nublar" <not@this.net> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 00:04:46 +0000, Lemming
    >> <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Well, you got it half right. Maybe it's my fault: perhaps I should
    >> >have also spelled out that it's also courteous not to add to the
    >> >quoted text words which weren't originally there. Keep trying, you'll
    >> >get it eventually.
    >>
    >> You're not a Lemming. You're a pernicious little troll. And you've hit
    >> my killfile after only two posts, which has to be a record for me.
    >> Ten years in usenet, and no one before you has been able to convince
    >> me so quickly of his complete uselessness. Congratulations, I guess.
    >
    >Lemming does have a strong personal zeal for excellence.

    Thanks, Bill. I needed that positive affirmation after being so
    ineffectually flamed by someone whose been "in" usenet for ten whole
    minutes. And counting.

    Lemming
    --
    Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 12:21:15 -0500, Isla Nublar <not@this.net> wrote:

    >On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 06:05:37 GMT, "Bill Huffman" <bhuffma1@san.rr.com>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>"Isla Nublar" <not@this.net> wrote in message
    >>> You're not a Lemming. You're a pernicious little troll. And you've hit
    >>> my killfile after only two posts, which has to be a record for me.
    >>> Ten minutes in usenet, and no one before you has been able to convince
    >>> me so quickly of his complete uselessness. Congratulations, I guess.
    >>
    >>Lemming does have a strong personal zeal for excellence.
    >
    >Back in September 2004 I posted a couple of messages that actually
    >had CONTENT about space-sims. For quite some time before that, I
    >just posted complete drivel. But that's OK, since I don't have much
    >of a clue, nobody minded. They all just ignored me, and that's the
    >way I like it.

    Don't be silly, we all know you only just got a computer. How could
    you have been posting drivel since before 2004?

    >What I want to do most is start a .moderated group and become the
    >totalitarian dick I have always wanted to be, but unfortunately since
    >I've only just arrived in usenet I don't have much of a clue how to
    >go about it.
    >
    >I would appreciate a pointer to the FAQ.
    >
    >/*
    >** "Quack!"
    >*/

    You could try this FAQ:

    Seriously, I think you'll learn a lot from it.

    Not really Lemming, honest
    --
    Are you getting a clue yet, Ms. Nubbler?
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 00:20:41 +0000, Not Lemming honest
    <reallynot@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >You could try this FAQ:
    >
    >http://www.templetons.com/brad/emily.html
    >
    >Seriously, I think you'll learn a lot from it.
    >
    >Not really Lemming, honest
    >--
    >Are you getting a clue yet, Ms. Nubbler?

    My my. look at the times on these. 7:09, 7:11, 7:20.

    Something held your attention for a whole 11 minutes.

    And 3 new aka's for the killfile, too.

    Let's talk about Homeworld. You seem to know *something* about it, at
    least.

    Isla
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 23:34:39 -0500, Isla Nublar <not@this.net> wrote:

    >On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 00:20:41 +0000, Not Lemming honest
    ><reallynot@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>You could try this FAQ:
    >>
    >>http://www.templetons.com/brad/emily.html
    >>
    >>Seriously, I think you'll learn a lot from it.
    >>
    >>Not really Lemming, honest
    >>--
    >>Are you getting a clue yet, Ms. Nubbler?
    >

    >My my. look at the times on these. 7:09, 7:11, 7:20.

    These what?

    Yes, of course, *I* know what you are referring to, but someone coming
    across your post in isolation wouldn't. If you want to communicate
    well, write with your readers in mind. What do they know already?
    What do they not know? Will they be able to guess what you are
    talking about? Will they have access to the post before yours, or
    even several posts before yours? Have you quoted enough material to
    give your writing a context? Does anything need more explanation?

    Try to include enough information so that people can understand what
    you mean. And also remember you aren't just writing for today's
    readers. Will people who dejagoogle your posts ten years from now
    know what you are writing about?

    >Something held your attention for a whole 11 minutes.

    Consider yourself honoured, Ms. Nubbler. I took time out of my busy
    schedule just to help you. You should thank me.

    Incidentally, you might want to revise your logic. It's true that
    eleven minutes passed between posting the first and posting the last
    but you don't know how long the first took to write. (True, it wasn't
    more than a couple of minutes, but you couldn't know that). Also, you
    don't know that I spent the whole of the elapsed time writing them.
    Assisting in your education may have been just a background task while
    I was doing something else.

    >And 3 new aka's for the killfile, too.

    I don't think I'm likely to run out.

    >Let's talk about Homeworld. You seem to know *something* about it, at
    >least.

    Why do you want to talk about homeworld? It's off topic for this
    froup.

    >Isla

    It's so nice when newbies pick things up as quickly as you seem to
    have. It takes some people years to learn good netiquette, but you
    are beginning to pick things up after just a few days. I wish all
    "Septemberers" were as receptive as you.

    http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/S/September-that-never-ended.html

    HTH,

    Lemming
    --
    Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 17:04:31 -0500, "balthazor31503"
    <balthazor31503@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >i read an earlier post on this but wanted some fresh opinions. i've
    >researched NEXUS: the jupiter incident; starhatter; and darkspace. what
    >i'm wondering are there space sim out there that are mmporg's ? Are these
    >them? i know about sw galaxies. i have it just don't play it anymore. the
    >framrate got so bad in the citys that you could hardly play it and i was
    >on a cable modem. What do you think of the above three?

    I very much recommend you get the demos, if available. I did not like
    Starshatter much (bought the full game), and was unimpressed with the
    NEXUS demo. I know nothing of Darkspace.

    Please replace the "NoSpam" with "MCI" in my email address in order to
    reply.
    Joe Granto Joe.Granto@NoSpam.Com
    Senior Engineer Intel Engineering,MCI
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    "Rodent" <rodent@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 23:19:32 GMT, "Bret Ripley" <ripley@olywa.net>
    > wrote:

    > I've been called worse.

    *And* by people in a position to know better.

    > Ten years, by Kibo. That is a very long time to go without a clue.

    Your Kibology will get you nowhere, mefears.

    > >"In" usenet? Sort of like in "Tron"?

    > >I've noticed his personal zeal is particularly strong after he's had a go
    at
    > >the rollmop herring.
    > >
    > >> Back in September 2004 s/he posted a couple of messages that actually
    > >> had CONTENT about space-sims.
    >
    > I sincerely doubt that. I haven't posted anything about space-sims on
    > here since about September 1999. Not since I realised that space-sims
    > were off topic on this froup.
    >
    > >De gustibus non est disputandum: even Homer nods.
    >
    > Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

    Why should the toga wearers miss out?

    > >> For quite some time before that, and
    > >> since from what I can see, Lemming's posts are just sniping about
    > >> netiquette with frequent forays into uncalled for nastiness.
    >
    > Uh, oh ... I've been googled.

    I'll bet s/he skipped the ones on a.h.b-o-u.

    > >> The right way to handle that is to start a .moderated group and become
    > >> the totalitarian dick you want to be.
    >
    > When your mommy said "you should say 'please' and 'thank-you'" did you
    > call her a totalitarian bitch-cow?

    Maybe Mrs. Nublar deserved it. Any mother who names her child "Isla" isn't
    likely to be "the right sort of people," if you pay any attention to that
    sort of thing.

    > When your teachers at school
    > suggested you write in ink rather than crayon, did you tell them they
    > will be first against the wall when the revolution comes?

    That's a good one, Rod. For all we know, Isla may still be posting to
    usenet in crayon.

    > Do you
    > killfile everyone who points out your dismal lack of netiquette? If
    > so, your bit-bucket must be fuller than DKS's.
    >
    > >> Also, I would appreciate a pointer to the FAQ.
    >
    > I'm still writing it. More accurately, I'm still waiting for someone
    > to ask some questions which aren't about Derek Smart.
    >
    > >Here is the archive you requested:
    > >
    > >http://www.jonathonrobinson.com/3.0/web/webtsos.html
    >
    > Yer a funny guy, Bret. Or so Br d tells me.

    He didn't mean funny "ha ha".

    > Where is Br d anyway?

    Dunno. I was in the process of inviting myself over to his house this
    summer when he suddenly disappeared. I'm sure he'll turn up again any time
    now.

    > >> /*
    > >> ** "Quack!"
    > >> */
    > >
    > >Your onomatopoeia is inpherior.
    >
    > Since Ms. Nubbler has me killfiled, I can't read any of her posts, but
    > I do think the following link might be of use to her:
    >
    > http://www.soft-land.org/cgi-bin/doc.pl?doc=documenti/welcome
    >
    > Do you think she's getting a clue yet, after her whole ten days on -
    > sorry *in* - usenet?

    Well, that's one for the FAQ. Proposed answer: "One night in Usenet and
    the world's your oyster."

    Bret AKA Bret
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 16:02:28 GMT, "Bill Huffman" <bhuffma1@san.rr.com>
    wrote:

    >I've spent 90 mins playing the game if you wanna count loading and reloading
    >trying to get the freebie version to work. But what does that have to do
    >with anti-social academic frauds?

    Sorry Bill, but spending 90 mins playing the FREE release of BC3K 2.09
    doesn't actually qualify you as a BC expert.

    If you are interested, I'd be more then happy to send you my boxed
    copy of BCM (along with the 1.09.01 patch burned to CD),
    free-o-charge, and then you can judge the game on it's merits instead
    of your preconceived prejudices

    It's curious though, I've never had any problems installing or running
    that free release copy of BC3K. Granted, the game is moody as hell,
    won't work with certain video/sound-drivers (then there is that damn
    annoying save-game bug that will rise up and bite you in the ass), but
    it isn't any more or less crash-prone then most games from the era.

    BCM is far more stable and doesn't suffer for most of BC3K's
    shortcomings. It's not perfect software, but what is?

    As far as "anti-social academic frauds", being an anti-social,
    beer-drinking stoner doesn't give me a whole lot of room to critisize.
    You are much more "morally centered", so I will have to take your word
    for it.
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 00:09:42 +0000, Rodent
    <rodent@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >>> Also, I would appreciate a pointer to the FAQ.
    >
    >I'm still writing it. More accurately, I'm still waiting for someone
    >to ask some questions which aren't about Derek Smart.

    Oh please, there are plenty of posts here at s-s that have nothing to
    do with Mr. "SC" Smart.

    I have a question: What's the best way to get marines deployed into a
    hostile mission-zone, WITHOUT triggering the early-warning radar and
    activating the barracks and launch-pads? (OTS nukes are not allowed,
    as they are the pussy's way out!)

    >>Here is the archive you requested:
    >>
    >>http://www.jonathonrobinson.com/3.0/web/webtsos.html
    >
    >Yer a funny guy, Bret. Or so Br d tells me. Where is Br d anyway?

    Where is Br d? Is he on Hiatus or something?

    >Do you think she's getting a clue yet, after her whole ten days on -
    >sorry *in* - usenet?
    >
    >Lemming AKA Rodent
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    "Shingen" <shingen@aolsuks.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

    > >I'm still writing it. More accurately, I'm still waiting for someone
    > >to ask some questions which aren't about Derek Smart.
    > >
    > Oh please, there are plenty of posts here at s-s that have nothing to
    > do with Mr. "SC" Smart.
    >
    > I have a question: What's the best way to get marines deployed into a
    > hostile mission-zone, WITHOUT triggering the early-warning radar and
    > activating the barracks and launch-pads? (OTS nukes are not allowed,
    > as they are the pussy's way out!)

    Have you tried dressing the marines up as a troupe of lost, hungry actors?

    > >>Here is the archive you requested:
    > >>
    > >>http://www.jonathonrobinson.com/3.0/web/webtsos.html
    > >
    > >Yer a funny guy, Bret. Or so Br d tells me. Where is Br d anyway?
    > >

    > Where is Br d? Is he on Hiatus or something?

    Huh. I had no idea Hiatus was a Class M planet.

    Bret
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:45:29 GMT, "Bret Ripley" <ripley@olywa.net>
    wrote:

    >Have you tried dressing the marines up as a troupe of lost, hungry actors?

    Sadly, that option doesn't exist within the TacOps command pallete.

    >> >Yer a funny guy, Bret. Or so Br d tells me. Where is Br d anyway?
    >> >

    >> Where is Br d? Is he on Hiatus or something?
    >
    >Huh. I had no idea Hiatus was a Class M planet.

    It isn't...but your Trekiness is showing. =P

    >Bret

  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 19:35:08 GMT, Shingen
    <shingen@aolsuks.sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 00:09:42 +0000, Rodent
    ><rodent@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm still writing it. More accurately, I'm still waiting for someone
    >>to ask some questions which aren't about Derek Smart.
    >>
    >Oh please, there are plenty of posts here at s-s that have nothing to
    >do with Mr. "SC" Smart.

    They don't count, since any posts not about Doktor Smart or his game
    are off topic for this froup.

    >I have a question: What's the best way to get marines deployed into a
    >hostile mission-zone, WITHOUT triggering the early-warning radar and
    >activating the barracks and launch-pads? (OTS nukes are not allowed,
    >as they are the pussy's way out!)

    That's a question about DKS' game, so it amounts to the same thing.

    Ok, so that's the first question for the FAQ.

    Umm.

    Any offers for the answer?

    Lemming
    --
    Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:13:52 GMT, "Bret Ripley" <ripley@olywa.net>
    wrote:

    >"Rodent" <rodent@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

    >> I've been called worse.
    >
    >*And* by people in a position to know better.

    Hell, *I* have called me worse than that.

    >> Ten years, by Kibo. That is a very long time to go without a clue.
    >
    >Your Kibology will get you nowhere, mefears.

    It's got me this far.

    >> >"In" usenet? Sort of like in "Tron"?

    >> >I've noticed his personal zeal is particularly strong after he's had a go
    >at
    >> >the rollmop herring.

    >> I sincerely doubt that. I haven't posted anything about space-sims on
    >> here since about September 1999. Not since I realised that space-sims
    >> were off topic on this froup.
    >>
    >> >De gustibus non est disputandum: even Homer nods.
    >>
    >> Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.
    >
    >Why should the toga wearers miss out?

    Good point. They can join the queue.

    >> Uh, oh ... I've been googled.
    >
    >I'll bet s/he skipped the ones on a.h.b-o-u.

    I hate it when that happens.

    >> When your mommy said "you should say 'please' and 'thank-you'" did you
    >> call her a totalitarian bitch-cow?
    >
    >Maybe Mrs. Nublar deserved it. Any mother who names her child "Isla" isn't
    >likely to be "the right sort of people," if you pay any attention to that
    >sort of thing.
    >
    >> When your teachers at school
    >> suggested you write in ink rather than crayon, did you tell them they
    >> will be first against the wall when the revolution comes?
    >
    >That's a good one, Rod. For all we know, Isla may still be posting to
    >usenet in crayon.

    Posting *in* usenet, Mr. Bret. *In* usenet.

    >> Do you
    >> killfile everyone who points out your dismal lack of netiquette? If
    >> so, your bit-bucket must be fuller than DKS's.

    >> I'm still writing it. More accurately, I'm still waiting for someone
    >> to ask some questions which aren't about Derek Smart.
    >>
    >> >Here is the archive you requested:
    >> >
    >> >http://www.jonathonrobinson.com/3.0/web/webtsos.html
    >>
    >> Yer a funny guy, Bret. Or so Br d tells me.
    >
    >He didn't mean funny "ha ha".

    Do you see anybody laughing?

    >> Where is Br d anyway?
    >
    >Dunno. I was in the process of inviting myself over to his house this
    >summer when he suddenly disappeared.

    I'm starting to see a connection.

    >I'm sure he'll turn up again any time
    >now.

    Seriously though, I do know what happened. He got plastered one night
    and trashed his computer by deleting most of the system files out of
    his Windoze directory. That would have been a good thing, but he
    forgot to install Linux first.

    Yes, that really *is* what happened. Would I lie to you?

    >> >Your onomatopoeia is inpherior.
    >>
    >> Since Ms. Nubbler has me killfiled, I can't read any of her posts, but
    >> I do think the following link might be of use to her:
    >>
    >> http://www.soft-land.org/cgi-bin/doc.pl?doc=documenti/welcome
    >>
    >> Do you think she's getting a clue yet, after her whole ten days on -
    >> sorry *in* - usenet?
    >
    >Well, that's one for the FAQ. Proposed answer: "One night in Usenet and
    >the world's your oyster."
    >
    >Bret AKA Bret

    Lemming
    --
    Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On or about 2/22/2005 2:39:44 PM, Lemming
    <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> said:
    > On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:13:52 GMT, "Bret Ripley" <ripley@olywa.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"Rodent" <rodent@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

    >>> I've been called worse.
    >>
    >>*And* by people in a position to know better.
    >
    > Hell, *I* have called me worse than that.

    Please note that your zeal for personal excellence has already been noted.

    >>> Ten years, by Kibo. That is a very long time to go without a clue.
    >>
    >>Your Kibology will get you nowhere, mefears.
    >
    > It's got me this far.

    Please don't make me repeat myself.

    >>at

    >>> I sincerely doubt that. I haven't posted anything about space-sims on
    >>> here since about September 1999. Not since I realised that space-sims
    >>> were off topic on this froup.

    >>> Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.
    >>
    >>Why should the toga wearers miss out?
    >
    > Good point. They can join the queue.

    In lieu of the queue they can join the line. (I'm on thin ice here, I
    know.)

    >>> Uh, oh ... I've been googled.
    >>
    >>I'll bet s/he skipped the ones on a.h.b-o-u.
    >
    > I hate it when that happens.

    >>> When your mommy said "you should say 'please' and 'thank-you'" did you
    >>> call her a totalitarian bitch-cow?
    >>
    >>Maybe Mrs. Nublar deserved it. Any mother who names her child "Isla" isn't
    >>likely to be "the right sort of people," if you pay any attention to that
    >>sort of thing.
    >>
    >>> When your teachers at school
    >>> suggested you write in ink rather than crayon, did you tell them they
    >>> will be first against the wall when the revolution comes?
    >>
    >>That's a good one, Rod. For all we know, Isla may still be posting to
    >>usenet in crayon.
    >
    > Posting *in* usenet, Mr. Bret. *In* usenet.

    *In* usenet. *In* crayon. *In*conceivable.

    >>> Do you
    >>> killfile everyone who points out your dismal lack of netiquette? If
    >>> so, your bit-bucket must be fuller than DKS's.

    >>> I'm still writing it. More accurately, I'm still waiting for someone
    >>> to ask some questions which aren't about Derek Smart.

    >>> Yer a funny guy, Bret. Or so Br d tells me.
    >>
    >>He didn't mean funny "ha ha".
    >
    > Do you see anybody laughing?

    I can't see a bloody thing: my optical mouse is on the blink.

    >>> Where is Br d anyway?
    >>
    >>Dunno. I was in the process of inviting myself over to his house this
    >>summer when he suddenly disappeared.
    >
    > I'm starting to see a connection.

    Reply hazy, try again.

    >>I'm sure he'll turn up again any time
    >>now.
    >
    > Seriously though, I do know what happened. He got plastered one night
    > and trashed his computer by deleting most of the system files out of
    > his Windoze directory. That would have been a good thing, but he
    > forgot to install Linux first.
    >
    > Yes, that really *is* what happened. Would I lie to you?

    Your question reminds me of a story I'm about to make up: one day, a wee
    lad was walking down a garden path when he noticed a butterfly resting on
    an acorn squash. The wee lad says to himself, "cor blimey," he says, "that
    butterfly is resting on that acorn squash and no mistake," he said. Then
    the wee lad took his cricket bat (which he was carrying all along but I
    forgot to mention earlier) and smashed the butterfly, the acorn squash, and
    the family of small black beetles that happened to be using the acorn
    squash as a summer home.

    Later that very same day, the wee lad's grandfather was walking in the
    garden, and discovered the smashed, broken bodies of several small black
    beetles scattered about near the smashed acorn squash. Being perhaps a bit
    of a coleopterist and altogether insensible to the smashed butterfly, the
    grandfather gathered up the remains of the smashed black beetles and took
    them to his secret underground laboratory for further study. After
    determining that the smashed black beetles were of a type thought to be
    extinct, he grew very angry and went looking for little Timmy (which was
    the name of the wee lad with the cricket bat I forgot to mention). The
    grandfather found little Timmy and accused him of smashing the small black
    thought to be extinct beetles.

    Little Timmy, being perhaps a bit of a lepidopterist and altogether
    insensible to the smashed beetles, truthfully denied smashing those
    particular insects, but quickly copped to smashing the butterfly and the
    acorn squash (which no one seemed to care much about). Then little Timmy
    smashed his grandfather's skull with the cricket bat I forgot to mention he
    was still carrying.

    So, to answer your question:

    > Yes, that really *is* what happened. Would I lie to you?

    The veracity of words are often rendered immaterial by what is done with
    the cricket bat.

    But enough about Iraq.

    {whistles}

    Bret
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On or about 2/22/2005 12:52:45 PM, Shingen <shingen@aolsuks.sbcglobal.net>
    said:
    > On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:45:29 GMT, "Bret Ripley" <ripley@olywa.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Have you tried dressing the marines up as a troupe of lost, hungry actors?
    >>

    > Sadly, that option doesn't exist within the TacOps command pallete.

    Circus performers?

    >>> Where is Br d? Is he on Hiatus or something?
    >>
    >>Huh. I had no idea Hiatus was a Class M planet.
    >>

    > It isn't...but your Trekiness is showing. =P

    Shields down, warp engines offline, taking evasive actions.

    Bret
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:02:33 -0800, Bret Ripley <ripley@olywa.net>
    wrote:

    >On or about 2/22/2005 2:39:44 PM, Lemming
    ><thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> said:
    >> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:13:52 GMT, "Bret Ripley" <ripley@olywa.net>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Rodent" <rodent@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

    >>>*And* by people in a position to know better.
    >>
    >> Hell, *I* have called me worse than that.
    >
    >Please note that your zeal for personal excellence has already been noted.

    >>>Your Kibology will get you nowhere, mefears.
    >>
    >> It's got me this far.
    >
    >Please don't make me repeat myself.

    It's got me this far.

    >>>at

    >>>Why should the toga wearers miss out?
    >>
    >> Good point. They can join the queue.
    >
    >In lieu of the queue they can join the line. (I'm on thin ice here, I
    >know.)

    >>>I'll bet s/he skipped the ones on a.h.b-o-u.
    >>
    >> I hate it when that happens.

    >>>Maybe Mrs. Nublar deserved it. Any mother who names her child "Isla" isn't
    >>>likely to be "the right sort of people," if you pay any attention to that
    >>>sort of thing.

    >>>That's a good one, Rod. For all we know, Isla may still be posting to
    >>>usenet in crayon.
    >>
    >> Posting *in* usenet, Mr. Bret. *In* usenet.
    >
    >*In* usenet. *In* crayon. *In*conceivable.

    *In*dubitably.

    >>>He didn't mean funny "ha ha".
    >>
    >> Do you see anybody laughing?
    >
    >I can't see a bloody thing: my optical mouse is on the blink.

    >>>Dunno. I was in the process of inviting myself over to his house this
    >>>summer when he suddenly disappeared.
    >>
    >> I'm starting to see a connection.
    >
    >Reply hazy, try again.
    >
    >>>I'm sure he'll turn up again any time
    >>>now.
    >>
    >> Seriously though, I do know what happened. He got plastered one night
    >> and trashed his computer by deleting most of the system files out of
    >> his Windoze directory. That would have been a good thing, but he
    >> forgot to install Linux first.
    >>
    >> Yes, that really *is* what happened. Would I lie to you?
    >
    >Your question reminds me of a story I'm about to make up:

    But ... but ... I did't make it up. That really is what happened. At
    least, that's what Br d *told* me is what happened.

    Update: apparently Br d has managed to get his integrity-challenged
    computer working for long enough to download a few posts from this
    froup, and realise that people have been asking after him. He emailed
    me to ask me to express his thanks for you all missing him. Isn't
    that sweet?

    I notice he didn't email you. I guess he likes me best, after all.

    > one day, a wee
    >lad was walking down a garden path when he noticed a butterfly resting on
    >an acorn squash. The wee lad says to himself, "cor blimey," he says, "that
    >butterfly is resting on that acorn squash and no mistake," he said. Then
    >the wee lad took his cricket bat (which he was carrying all along but I
    >forgot to mention earlier) and smashed the butterfly, the acorn squash, and
    >the family of small black beetles that happened to be using the acorn
    >squash as a summer home.
    >
    >Later that very same day, the wee lad's grandfather was walking in the
    >garden, and discovered the smashed, broken bodies of several small black
    >beetles scattered about near the smashed acorn squash. Being perhaps a bit
    >of a coleopterist and altogether insensible to the smashed butterfly, the
    >grandfather gathered up the remains of the smashed black beetles and took
    >them to his secret underground laboratory for further study. After
    >determining that the smashed black beetles were of a type thought to be
    >extinct, he grew very angry and went looking for little Timmy (which was
    >the name of the wee lad with the cricket bat I forgot to mention). The
    >grandfather found little Timmy and accused him of smashing the small black
    >thought to be extinct beetles.
    >
    >Little Timmy, being perhaps a bit of a lepidopterist and altogether
    >insensible to the smashed beetles, truthfully denied smashing those
    >particular insects, but quickly copped to smashing the butterfly and the
    >acorn squash (which no one seemed to care much about). Then little Timmy
    >smashed his grandfather's skull with the cricket bat I forgot to mention he
    >was still carrying.
    >
    >So, to answer your question:
    >
    >> Yes, that really *is* what happened. Would I lie to you?
    >
    >The veracity of words are often rendered immaterial by what is done with
    >the cricket bat.
    >
    >But enough about Iraq.
    >
    >{whistles}

    What's an Acorn Squash?

    Lemming
    --
    Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 00:10:13 +0000, Lemming wrote:

    > On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:02:33 -0800, Bret Ripley <ripley@olywa.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On or about 2/22/2005 2:39:44 PM, Lemming
    >><thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> said:

    >>> Hell, *I* have called me worse than that.
    >>
    >>Please note that your zeal for personal excellence has already been noted.

    >>> It's got me this far.
    >>
    >>Please don't make me repeat myself.
    >
    > It's got me this far.

    Your Kibology will get you nowhere, mefears.

    >>> Good point. They can join the queue.
    >>
    >>In lieu of the queue they can join the line. (I'm on thin ice here, I
    >>know.)

    >>> I hate it when that happens.

    >>> Posting *in* usenet, Mr. Bret. *In* usenet.
    >>
    >>*In* usenet. *In* crayon. *In*conceivable.
    >
    > *In*dubitably.

    *In*deed?

    >>> Do you see anybody laughing?
    >>
    >>I can't see a bloody thing: my optical mouse is on the blink.

    >>> I'm starting to see a connection.
    >>
    >>Reply hazy, try again.

    >>> Seriously though, I do know what happened. He got plastered one night
    >>> and trashed his computer by deleting most of the system files out of
    >>> his Windoze directory. That would have been a good thing, but he
    >>> forgot to install Linux first.
    >>>
    >>> Yes, that really *is* what happened. Would I lie to you?
    >>
    >>Your question reminds me of a story I'm about to make up:
    >

    > But ... but ... I did't make it up. That really is what happened. At
    > least, that's what Br d *told* me is what happened.

    Your credulity is noted.

    > Update: apparently Br d has managed to get his integrity-challenged
    > computer working for long enough to download a few posts from this
    > froup, and realise that people have been asking after him. He emailed
    > me to ask me to express his thanks for you all missing him. Isn't
    > that sweet?

    *sniff* I'm going all misty.

    > I notice he didn't email you. I guess he likes me best, after all.

    Nah. His puter prolly can't e-mail long distance.

    >> one day, a wee
    >>lad was walking down a garden path when he noticed a butterfly resting on
    >>an acorn squash. The wee lad says to himself, "cor blimey," he says, "that
    >>butterfly is resting on that acorn squash and no mistake," he said. Then
    >>the wee lad took his cricket bat (which he was carrying all along but I
    >>forgot to mention earlier) and smashed the butterfly, the acorn squash, and
    >>the family of small black beetles that happened to be using the acorn
    >>squash as a summer home.
    >>
    >>Later that very same day, the wee lad's grandfather was walking in the
    >>garden, and discovered the smashed, broken bodies of several small black
    >>beetles scattered about near the smashed acorn squash. Being perhaps a bit
    >>of a coleopterist and altogether insensible to the smashed butterfly, the
    >>grandfather gathered up the remains of the smashed black beetles and took
    >>them to his secret underground laboratory for further study. After
    >>determining that the smashed black beetles were of a type thought to be
    >>extinct, he grew very angry and went looking for little Timmy (which was
    >>the name of the wee lad with the cricket bat I forgot to mention). The
    >>grandfather found little Timmy and accused him of smashing the small black
    >>thought to be extinct beetles.
    >>
    >>Little Timmy, being perhaps a bit of a lepidopterist and altogether
    >>insensible to the smashed beetles, truthfully denied smashing those
    >>particular insects, but quickly copped to smashing the butterfly and the
    >>acorn squash (which no one seemed to care much about). Then little Timmy
    >>smashed his grandfather's skull with the cricket bat I forgot to mention he
    >>was still carrying.
    >>
    >>So, to answer your question:
    >>
    >>> Yes, that really *is* what happened. Would I lie to you?
    >>
    >>The veracity of words are often rendered immaterial by what is done with
    >>the cricket bat.
    >>
    >>But enough about Iraq.
    >>
    >>{whistles}
    >
    > What's an Acorn Squash?

    Question 2 for the FAQ.

    Bret
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    "Bret Ripley" <ripley@olywa.net> wrote in message
> [...]
    > extinct, he grew very angry and went looking for little Timmy (which was
    > the name of the wee lad with the cricket bat I forgot to mention). The
    > grandfather found little Timmy and accused him of smashing the small black
    > thought to be extinct beetles.
    >
    > Little Timmy, being perhaps a bit of a lepidopterist and altogether
    > insensible to the smashed beetles, truthfully denied smashing those
    > particular insects, but quickly copped to smashing the butterfly and the
    > acorn squash (which no one seemed to care much about). Then little Timmy
    > smashed his grandfather's skull with the cricket bat I forgot to mention
    he
    > was still carrying.
    >
    > So, to answer your question:
    >
    > > Yes, that really *is* what happened. Would I lie to you?
    >
    > The veracity of words are often rendered immaterial by what is done with

    That story was plagerized from Mark Twain or perhaps Edgar Allan Poe, I'm
    not quite sure which one.

    > Bret
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    "Lemming" <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

    > Update: apparently Br d has managed to get his integrity-challenged
    > computer working for long enough to download a few posts from this
    > froup, and realise that people have been asking after him. He emailed
    > me to ask me to express his thanks for you all missing him. Isn't
    > that sweet?
    >
    > I notice he didn't email you. I guess he likes me best, after all.

    Br d obviously has somehow managed to improve his analytic powers to all
    new spectacular heights thereby realizing that a cute coozy rodent is far
    better than anything else that he could ever hope for.

    Br d's eternal optimimizm is especially missed, with his absence I'm
    deciding that perhaps the human race is doomed and I'm almost ready to
    accept the inevitability of academic fraud spreading to every household in
    the uncivilized world..
  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

> [...]
    > >>extinct, he grew very angry and went looking for little Timmy (which was
    > >>the name of the wee lad with the cricket bat I forgot to mention). The
    > >>grandfather found little Timmy and accused him of smashing the small
    black
    > >>thought to be extinct beetles.
    > >>
    > >>Little Timmy, being perhaps a bit of a lepidopterist and altogether
    > >>insensible to the smashed beetles, truthfully denied smashing those
    > >>particular insects, but quickly copped to smashing the butterfly and the
    > >>acorn squash (which no one seemed to care much about). Then little
    Timmy
    > >>smashed his grandfather's skull with the cricket bat I forgot to mention
    he
    > >>was still carrying.
    > >>
    > >>So, to answer your question:

    > >>The veracity of words are often rendered immaterial by what is done with

    http://whatscookingamerica.net/Vegetables/Acorn.JPG

    Acorn - Easily found in supermarkets. As its name suggests, this winter
    squash is shaped like an acorn. One of my favorite baking squashes, it's
    easy to slice into halves and fill with butter.. A small acorn squash weighs
    from 1 to 3 pounds, and has sweet, slightly fibrous flesh. Its distinct ribs
    run the length of its hard, blackish-green or golden-yellow skin. In
    addition to the dark green acorn, there are now golden and multi-colored
    varieties.
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On or about 2/23/2005 11:13:36 PM, Bill Huffman <bhuffma1@san.rr.com> said:
> [...]
    >> thought to be extinct beetles.
    >>
    >> Little Timmy, being perhaps a bit of a lepidopterist and altogether
    >> insensible to the smashed beetles, truthfully denied smashing those
    >> particular insects, but quickly copped to smashing the butterfly and the
    >> acorn squash (which no one seemed to care much about). Then little Timmy
    >> smashed his grandfather's skull with the cricket bat I forgot to mention
    > he
    >> was still carrying.
    >>
    >> So, to answer your question:
    >>
    >>> Yes, that really *is* what happened. Would I lie to you?
    >>
    >> The veracity of words are often rendered immaterial by what is done with
    >> the cricket bat.
    >>
    >> But enough about Iraq.
    >>
    >> {whistles}
    >
    > That story was plagerized from Mark Twain or perhaps Edgar Allan Poe, I'm

    Thomas Hardy. It's "Tess of the D'Urbervilles" as it should have been.
    You may find that I am not the first to observe that cricket-bat wielding
    homicidal infants would be a welcome addition to almost any of Hardy's
    works.

    Bret
  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 07:23:07 GMT, "Bill Huffman" <bhuffma1@san.rr.com>
    wrote:

    >"Lemming" <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    >
    >> Update: apparently Br d has managed to get his integrity-challenged
    >> computer working for long enough to download a few posts from this
    >> froup, and realise that people have been asking after him. He emailed
    >> me to ask me to express his thanks for you all missing him. Isn't
    >> that sweet?
    >>
    >> I notice he didn't email you. I guess he likes me best, after all.
    >
    >Br d obviously has somehow managed to improve his analytic powers to all
    >new spectacular heights thereby realizing that a cute coozy rodent is far
    >better than anything else that he could ever hope for.

    Did anyone ever doubt it?

    >Br d's eternal optimimizm is especially missed, with his absence I'm
    >deciding that perhaps the human race is doomed and I'm almost ready to
    >accept the inevitability of academic fraud spreading to every household in
    >the uncivilized world..

    I forgot to mention that Br d said that when he did get back on, the
    first thing he was going to do was "tell Bill to stop talking out of
    his arse."

    Lemming
    --
    Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.
  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 16:27:11 -0800, Bret Ripley <ripley@olywa.net>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 00:10:13 +0000, Lemming wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:02:33 -0800, Bret Ripley <ripley@olywa.net>
    >> wrote:

    >>>Please note that your zeal for personal excellence has already been noted.

    >>>Please don't make me repeat myself.
    >>
    >> It's got me this far.
    >
    >Your Kibology will get you nowhere, mefears.

    I knew I could make you repeat yourself.

    >>>In lieu of the queue they can join the line. (I'm on thin ice here, I
    >>>know.)

    >>>*In* usenet. *In* crayon. *In*conceivable.
    >>
    >> *In*dubitably.
    >
    >*In*deed?

    *In*sane.

    >>>I can't see a bloody thing: my optical mouse is on the blink.

    >>>Reply hazy, try again.

    >>>Your question reminds me of a story I'm about to make up:
    >>

    >> But ... but ... I did't make it up. That really is what happened. At
    >> least, that's what Br d *told* me is what happened.
    >
    >Your credulity is noted.

    Your note is incredible.

    >> Update: apparently Br d has managed to get his integrity-challenged
    >> computer working for long enough to download a few posts from this
    >> froup, and realise that people have been asking after him. He emailed
    >> me to ask me to express his thanks for you all missing him. Isn't
    >> that sweet?
    >
    >*sniff* I'm going all misty.
    >
    >> I notice he didn't email you. I guess he likes me best, after all.
    >
    >Nah. His puter prolly can't e-mail long distance.

    That could be it.

    >>> one day, a wee
    >>>lad was walking down a garden path when he noticed a butterfly resting on
    >>>an acorn squash. The wee lad says to himself, "cor blimey," he says, "that
    >>>butterfly is resting on that acorn squash and no mistake," he said. Then
    >>>the wee lad took his cricket bat (which he was carrying all along but I
    >>>forgot to mention earlier) and smashed the butterfly, the acorn squash, and
    >>>the family of small black beetles that happened to be using the acorn
    >>>squash as a summer home.
    >>>
    >>>Later that very same day, the wee lad's grandfather was walking in the
    >>>garden, and discovered the smashed, broken bodies of several small black
    >>>beetles scattered about near the smashed acorn squash. Being perhaps a bit
    >>>of a coleopterist and altogether insensible to the smashed butterfly, the
    >>>grandfather gathered up the remains of the smashed black beetles and took
    >>>them to his secret underground laboratory for further study. After
    >>>determining that the smashed black beetles were of a type thought to be
    >>>extinct, he grew very angry and went looking for little Timmy (which was
    >>>the name of the wee lad with the cricket bat I forgot to mention). The
    >>>grandfather found little Timmy and accused him of smashing the small black
    >>>thought to be extinct beetles.
    >>>
    >>>Little Timmy, being perhaps a bit of a lepidopterist and altogether
    >>>insensible to the smashed beetles, truthfully denied smashing those
    >>>particular insects, but quickly copped to smashing the butterfly and the
    >>>acorn squash (which no one seemed to care much about). Then little Timmy
    >>>smashed his grandfather's skull with the cricket bat I forgot to mention he
    >>>was still carrying.
    >>>
    >>>So, to answer your question:

    >>>The veracity of words are often rendered immaterial by what is done with
    >>>the cricket bat.
    >>>
    >>>But enough about Iraq.
    >>>
    >>>{whistles}
    >>
    >> What's an Acorn Squash?
    >
    >Question 2 for the FAQ.

    But it's off topic, so it can't go in the FAQ.

    The only FAQ question which has been acceptable so far was the one
    about the marines dressed as circus clowns. Unfortunately I've lost
    the post it was in. So we're down to zero questions again.

    By the way, does anyone know what happend to Ms Nubbler? I was quite
    enjoying helping her get oriented to being "in usenet" but she
    suddenly stopped posting. Maybe she used up all her crayons.

    Lemming
    --
    Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.
  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On or about 2/24/2005 6:41:19 AM, Lemming
    <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> said:
    > On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 16:27:11 -0800, Bret Ripley <ripley@olywa.net>
    > wrote:
    >>> What's an Acorn Squash?
    >>
    >>Question 2 for the FAQ.
    >
    > But it's off topic, so it can't go in the FAQ.

    It was your question: you only have yourself to blame.

    > The only FAQ question which has been acceptable so far was the one
    > about the marines dressed as circus clowns. Unfortunately I've lost
    > the post it was in.

    *In* the post. *In* usenet. *In*scrutable.

    > So we're down to zero questions again.

    That's terra firma to me.

    > By the way, does anyone know what happend to Ms Nubbler?

    Ilsa has left usenet and is now *in* Google. She has confessed to
    harboring Bebox envy, but has dried up and will no longer discuss Zelazny.

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.os.beos/msg/2dce4af34efc4cec
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.books.roger-zelazny/msg/50162676a10f1b1d

    > I was quite
    > enjoying helping her get oriented to being "in usenet" but she
    > suddenly stopped posting. Maybe she used up all her crayons.

    Shame, that. I would have loaned her some of mine, now that I've upgraded
    to colored chalk.

    Bret
  35. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    > On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 07:23:07 GMT, "Bill Huffman" <bhuffma1@san.rr.com>
    > wrote:

    > >Br d's eternal optimimizm is especially missed, with his absence I'm
    > >deciding that perhaps the human race is doomed and I'm almost ready to
    > >accept the inevitability of academic fraud spreading to every household
    in
    > >the uncivilized world..
    > >

    > I forgot to mention that Br d said that when he did get back on, the
    > first thing he was going to do was "tell Bill to stop talking out of
    > his arse."

    Like I said, Br d obviously has somehow managed to improve his analytic
    powers to all new spectacular heights.
  36. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 10:24:53 -0800, Bret Ripley <ripley@olywa.net>
    wrote:

    >On or about 2/24/2005 6:41:19 AM, Lemming
    ><thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> said:
    >>>
    >>>Question 2 for the FAQ.
    >>
    >> But it's off topic, so it can't go in the FAQ.
    >
    >It was your question: you only have yourself to blame.

    I blame Br d.

    >> The only FAQ question which has been acceptable so far was the one
    >> about the marines dressed as circus clowns. Unfortunately I've lost
    >> the post it was in.
    >
    >*In* the post. *In* usenet. *In*scrutable.
    >
    >> So we're down to zero questions again.
    >
    >That's terra firma to me.

    Did you know that terra firma is an anagram of merrier fart?

    >> By the way, does anyone know what happend to Ms Nubbler?
    >
    >Ilsa has left usenet and is now *in* Google. She has confessed to
    >harboring Bebox envy, but has dried up and will no longer discuss Zelazny.
    >
    >http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.os.beos/msg/2dce4af34efc4cec
    >http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.books.roger-zelazny/msg/50162676a10f1b1d

    Tragic. A decade in usenet and then ... *poof* ... vanished without a
    trace.

    >> I was quite
    >> enjoying helping her get oriented to being "in usenet" but she
    >> suddenly stopped posting. Maybe she used up all her crayons.
    >
    >Shame, that. I would have loaned her some of mine, now that I've upgraded
    >to colored chalk.

    They let you have chalk? Aren't the other kids jealous?

    Lemming
    --
    Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.
  37. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On or about 2/24/2005 10:36:44 AM, Lemming
    <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> said:
    > On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 10:24:53 -0800, Bret Ripley <ripley@olywa.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On or about 2/24/2005 6:41:19 AM, Lemming
    >><thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> said:

    >>> But it's off topic, so it can't go in the FAQ.
    >>
    >>It was your question: you only have yourself to blame.
    >
    > I blame Br d.

    Ooh, good call.

    >>> The only FAQ question which has been acceptable so far was the one
    >>> about the marines dressed as circus clowns. Unfortunately I've lost
    >>> the post it was in.
    >>
    >>*In* the post. *In* usenet. *In*scrutable.
    >>
    >>> So we're down to zero questions again.
    >>
    >>That's terra firma to me.
    >
    > Did you know that terra firma is an anagram of merrier fart?

    It isn't, but it's a comforting notion nonetheless.

    >>> By the way, does anyone know what happend to Ms Nubbler?
    >>
    >>Ilsa has left usenet and is now *in* Google. She has confessed to
    >>harboring Bebox envy, but has dried up and will no longer discuss Zelazny.
    >>
    >>http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.os.beos/msg/2dce4af34efc4cec
    >>http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.books.roger-zelazny/msg/50162676a10f1b1d
    >
    > Tragic. A decade in usenet and then ... *poof* ... vanished without a
    > trace.

    Sad, very sad. Should we hold a wake?

    Wait a sec: if she didn't specify "x-no-archive" in her will, maybe her
    archived posts can be reconstituted into a sort of respond-bot? Sure,
    she'll probably have to follow convention by wearing an "H" on her
    forehead, but aside from that who'll know the difference?

    (Ignorance revealed: is "Red Dwarf" still running in the UK?)

    >>> I was quite
    >>> enjoying helping her get oriented to being "in usenet" but she
    >>> suddenly stopped posting. Maybe she used up all her crayons.
    >>
    >>Shame, that. I would have loaned her some of mine, now that I've upgraded
    >>to colored chalk.
    >
    > They let you have chalk? Aren't the other kids jealous?

    You bet. The other kids only have iMacs.

    Bret
  38. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    I'm going to start playing BC3000 tomorrow hahahahahahaha!

> [...]
    >> thought to be extinct beetles.
    >>
    >> Little Timmy, being perhaps a bit of a lepidopterist and altogether
    >> insensible to the smashed beetles, truthfully denied smashing those
    >> particular insects, but quickly copped to smashing the butterfly and the
    >> acorn squash (which no one seemed to care much about). Then little Timmy
    >> smashed his grandfather's skull with the cricket bat I forgot to mention
    >he
    >> was still carrying.
    >>
    >> So, to answer your question:
    >>
    >> > Yes, that really *is* what happened. Would I lie to you?
    >>
    >> The veracity of words are often rendered immaterial by what is done with
    >> the cricket bat.
    >>
    >> But enough about Iraq.
    >>
    >> {whistles}
    >
    >That story was plagerized from Mark Twain or perhaps Edgar Allan Poe, I'm

  39. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 22:01:52 +0800, Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza>
    wrote:

    >I'm going to start playing BC3000 tomorrow hahahahahahaha!

    Why wait? Play it today. You know it makes sense.

    Lemming
    --
> [...]

    >>> grandfather found little Timmy and accused him of smashing the small black
    >>> thought to be extinct beetles.
    >>>
    >>> Little Timmy, being perhaps a bit of a lepidopterist and altogether
    >>> insensible to the smashed beetles, truthfully denied smashing those
    >>> particular insects, but quickly copped to smashing the butterfly and the
    >>> acorn squash (which no one seemed to care much about). Then little Timmy
    >>> smashed his grandfather's skull with the cricket bat I forgot to mention
    >>he
    >>> was still carrying.
    >>>
    >>> So, to answer your question:

    >>> The veracity of words are often rendered immaterial by what is done with
    >>> the cricket bat.
    >>>
    >>> But enough about Iraq.
    >>>
    >>> {whistles}
    >>
    >>That story was plagerized from Mark Twain or perhaps Edgar Allan Poe, I'm

  40. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On or about 2/24/2005 11:07:39 AM, Bret Ripley <ripley@olywa.net> said:
    > Wait a sec: if she didn't specify "x-no-archive" in her will, maybe her
    > archived posts can be reconstituted into a sort of respond-bot?

    ::Initiate Ilsa Nubbler

    <set_config.sys>

    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
    DOS=HIGH,UMB
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
    FILES=30
    STACKS=0,0
    BUFFERS=20

    <set_autoexec.bat>

    @echo off
    PATH=C:\WINDOZE;C:\
    C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE /X
    DOSKEY
    MOSLO.COM
    ILSA_NUBBLER.BAT

    Hello Sailor! 8)
    Hello Sailor! 8)
    Hello Sailor! 8)
    Hello Sailor! 8)
    Hello Sailor! 8)
    Hello Sailor! 8)
    Hello Sailor! 8)
    Hello Sailor! 8)
    Hello Sailor! 8)
    Hello Sailor! 8)
    Hello Sailor! 8)
    Hello Sailor! 8)
    Hello Sa//NO CARRIER
  41. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    Bret Ripley wrote:
    > On or about 2/24/2005 6:41:19 AM, Lemming
    > <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> said:

    >>>Question 2 for the FAQ.
    >>
    >>But it's off topic, so it can't go in the FAQ.
    >

    > It was your question: you only have yourself to blame.
    >

    >>The only FAQ question which has been acceptable so far was the one
    >>about the marines dressed as circus clowns. Unfortunately I've lost
    >>the post it was in.
    >

    > *In* the post. *In* usenet. *In*scrutable.
    >

    >>So we're down to zero questions again.
    >

    > That's terra firma to me.
    >

    >>By the way, does anyone know what happend to Ms Nubbler?
    >

    > Ilsa has left usenet and is now *in* Google. She has confessed to
    > harboring Bebox envy, but has dried up and will no longer discuss Zelazny.
    >
    > http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.os.beos/msg/2dce4af34efc4cec
    > http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.books.roger-zelazny/msg/50162676a10f1b1d
    >

    >>I was quite
    >>enjoying helping her get oriented to being "in usenet" but she
    >>suddenly stopped posting. Maybe she used up all her crayons.
    >

    > Shame, that. I would have loaned her some of mine, now that I've upgraded
    > to colored chalk.

    He said as he fingered his piped, he turned on his heel donned his
    trademark deerstalker hat and walked slowly into the night.

    "Well done Holmes" someone whispered as he vanished into the curtain of
    night.

    The End
  42. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    > Hello Sa//NO CARRIER

    // Xan, Ph.D.
    // Your impressions are inferior.
  43. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    "Lemmiwinks" <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > But ... but ... I did't make it up. That really is what happened. At
    > least, that's what Br d *told* me is what happened.

    I can vouch for that.

    No, I won't go into it.

    // Xan, Ph.D.
    // I worship His Shadow.
  44. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 18:20:02 GMT, Xan wrote:

    > "Bret Ripley" <ripley@olywa.net> wrote in message
    >> Hello Sa//NO CARRIER
    >
    > // Xan, Ph.D.
    > // Your impressions are inferior.

    But effective. Where the heck have you been?

    Bret
  45. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 18:20:02 GMT, "Xan" <me@1.com> wrote:

    >"Lemmiwinks" <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> But ... but ... I did't make it up. That really is what happened. At
    >> least, that's what Br d *told* me is what happened.
    >
    >I can vouch for that.

    You can get those vouchers in any packet of cornflakes.

    >No, I won't go into it.

    That's not what Br d told me.

    >// Xan, Ph.D.
    >// I worship His Shadow.

    Non curo. Si metrum non habet, non est poema.

    Lemming
    --
    Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.
  46. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    > But effective.

    I'd beg to differ.

    > Where the heck have you been?

    Right nyah. =)

    // Xan, Ph.D.
    // I worship His Shadow.
  47. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    > You can get those vouchers in any packet of cornflakes.

    Personally, I prefer Froot Loops.

    > That's not what Br d told me.

    That cockney twat is always up to no good. =)

    > Non curo. Si metrum non habet, non est poema.

    I couldn't have said it worse myself.

    // Xan, Ph.D.
    // I worship His Shadow.
  48. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    Lemming <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote:
    >On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 22:01:52 +0800, Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I'm going to start playing BC3000 tomorrow hahahahahahaha!
    >
    >Why wait? Play it today. You know it makes sense.

    It didn't work haha.
  49. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On or about 2/26/2005 6:30:44 PM, Xan <me@1.com> said:
    > "Bret Ripley" <ripley@olywa.net> wrote in message
    >> But effective.
    >
    > I'd beg to differ.

    Please don't beg. It's unbecoming.

    >> Where the heck have you been?
    >
    > Right nyah. =)

    I just bought a new game: Half Life 2. It also comes with Countersrike:
    Source and Operation Gordon.

    I had read complaints about HL2 being too short. So far I cannot agree.
    I've got about 4 hours into it so far, and I haven't even made it to the
    Main Menu: I'm still updating Steam over my trusty dial-up connection.

    Out of curiosity, I tried to start the other 2 games: I get a friendly
    message from Steam telling me that Operation Gordon will be ready to play
    in 310 minutes, and Counterstrike: Source will be ready in 920 minutes. It
    is reassuring to know that Valve is looking out for those of us who are
    concerned about maximizing gaming time vs. gaming dollar spent.

    How on earth DS missed the Steam boat is beyond me; a natural fit if ever
    there was one.

    Bret

PC gaming Video Games