Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

newbir questions

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 9:51:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I have several newbie questions here.

I am acquirubg a M-Audio USB Quattro and a behringer 1602A mixer.

I still need to acquire a cheap condenser mic. (Suggestions requested)
I have heard good things about Oktava, but QA is an issue. The 1602A
has phantom power, so that is not an issue.

So, the question is.... How do I set this thing up?

The quattro has 4 in / 4 out and a USB into the puter.

Do I take 4 outputs from the mixer, send it to the Quattro, take 4
outputs from the quattro into the mixer for monitoring? And will all
4 inputs go onto seperate tracks (via usb) in my system?

thanks

John

More about : newbir questions

Anonymous
February 6, 2005 7:42:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

<mick_3@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have several newbie questions here.

> I am acquirubg a M-Audio USB Quattro and a behringer 1602A mixer.

> I still need to acquire a cheap condenser mic. (Suggestions requested)
> I have heard good things about Oktava, but QA is an issue. The 1602A
> has phantom power, so that is not an issue.

Since two Britannica's worth of cheap condensor mic discussion gets
written here every year, have you been to Google to access the
rec.aduio.pro archives for information about the cheap condensor mics?

> So, the question is.... How do I set this thing up?

Equipment comes with manuals. Have you read them? Even if you don't yet
hve the gear the manuals can usually be downloaded.

> The quattro has 4 in / 4 out and a USB into the puter.

> Do I take 4 outputs from the mixer, send it to the Quattro, take 4
> outputs from the quattro into the mixer for monitoring? And will all
> 4 inputs go onto seperate tracks (via usb) in my system?

This is the basic stuff to be found in the manuals, and how it all works
also depends on what you want to do with the kit.

--
ha
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 8:37:41 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

>From: mick_3@yahoo.com
>Date: 2/6/05 6:51 A.M. Eastern Standard Time
>Message-id: <uq0c015ucdkgkbcl6dao2gl9n67gkj3pqd@4ax.com>
>
>I have several newbie questions here.
>
>I am acquirubg a M-Audio USB Quattro and a behringer 1602A mixer.
>
>I still need to acquire a cheap condenser mic. (Suggestions requested)
>I have heard good things about Oktava, but QA is an issue. The 1602A
>has phantom power, so that is not an issue.
>
> So, the question is.... How do I set this thing up?
>
>The quattro has 4 in / 4 out and a USB into the puter.
>
>Do I take 4 outputs from the mixer, send it to the Quattro, take 4
>outputs from the quattro into the mixer for monitoring? And will all
>4 inputs go onto seperate tracks (via usb) in my system?


So, you spent your money and now you have no idea how to even plug in the
cables, is that about right? Have you any experience in recording at all? I
mean have you even been in a working studio?
I would advise you to stop buying equipment right now and do some research on
recording, sound, acoustics and the other related subjects.
Related resources
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 12:01:57 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

mick_3@yahoo.com wrote:
> I have several newbie questions here.
>
> I am acquirubg a M-Audio USB Quattro and a behringer 1602A mixer.
>
> I still need to acquire a cheap condenser mic. (Suggestions requested)
> I have heard good things about Oktava, but QA is an issue. The 1602A
> has phantom power, so that is not an issue.
>
> So, the question is.... How do I set this thing up?

Go to www.studio-central.com and read the 3-page tutorial on mixers.
There are set-up diagrams in there too. Good luck ...
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 12:03:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

mick_3@yahoo.com wrote:
> I have several newbie questions here.
>
> I am acquirubg a M-Audio USB Quattro and a behringer 1602A mixer.
>
> I still need to acquire a cheap condenser mic. (Suggestions requested)
> I have heard good things about Oktava, but QA is an issue. The 1602A
> has phantom power, so that is not an issue.

I forgot to add ... Guitar Centre has 2 condenser MXL mics for $99 (one
for vocals and the other for instruments). You might want to check them
out. P.
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 12:03:13 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Philip N. Daly wrote:

> mick_3@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> I have several newbie questions here.
>>
>> I am acquirubg a M-Audio USB Quattro and a behringer 1602A mixer.
>>
>> I still need to acquire a cheap condenser mic. (Suggestions requested)
>> I have heard good things about Oktava, but QA is an issue. The 1602A
>> has phantom power, so that is not an issue.
>
>
> I forgot to add ... Guitar Centre has 2 condenser MXL mics for $99 (one
> for vocals and the other for instruments). You might want to check them
> out. P.


Yeah, those are the 990 and 991. The 991 (small-dia) response curve
bends upward at 18 kHz (+10 at 20 kHz!), and it sure sounds like it.
The 990 (large-dia) drops off below 100 Hz and sounds amazingly thin.
The two together are worth about $98.
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 4:25:14 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Jeez, what a condescending bunch here.

Yes, I have been in studio's. Many years ago, I was
the on-call dummer/percussionist in one of the bigger studios
in New England. I am fairly sure you have heard my drumming on
several pieces that still frequent the air-waves.

This was BEFORE digital, and we generally dumped to 2" tape. I owned
several analog machines in the past. 4 / 8 track etc. but they were
not DIGITAL.

NOTE that I have not recieved the equipment yet. I ran into too good
a deal to pass up., hence the rather simple questions. I have also
picked up several periodicals pertaining to digital recording and have
perused it accordingly.
I have been in NUMEROUS bands, and I know how to get a good sound,
but the question was DIGITAL specific.

The USB concept baflles me. I will be getting an A/D-D/A that is 4
in / 4 out with a USB connection. Does the USB contain ALL the data
that is going into A/D converter? If so, is it being "truncated" into
2 tracks? If it is being sent into the puter as 4 track, then it is a
simple thing to point the software to these tracks for manipulation.

I could have waited until I recieved the manual, but I figured
someone out here could give me tips/tricks on what I will need to make
life simpler.

Forget that I ever posted here. I will ensure that I not post here
again.


You have to start someplace right?


John


On 07 Feb 2005 05:37:41 GMT, bruwhaha58097238@aol.com (Raymond) wrote:

>>From: mick_3@yahoo.com
>>Date: 2/6/05 6:51 A.M. Eastern Standard Time
>>Message-id: <uq0c015ucdkgkbcl6dao2gl9n67gkj3pqd@4ax.com>
>>
>>I have several newbie questions here.
>>
>>I am acquirubg a M-Audio USB Quattro and a behringer 1602A mixer.
>>
>>I still need to acquire a cheap condenser mic. (Suggestions requested)
>>I have heard good things about Oktava, but QA is an issue. The 1602A
>>has phantom power, so that is not an issue.
>>
>> So, the question is.... How do I set this thing up?
>>
>>The quattro has 4 in / 4 out and a USB into the puter.
>>
>>Do I take 4 outputs from the mixer, send it to the Quattro, take 4
>>outputs from the quattro into the mixer for monitoring? And will all
>>4 inputs go onto seperate tracks (via usb) in my system?
>
>
>So, you spent your money and now you have no idea how to even plug in the
>cables, is that about right? Have you any experience in recording at all? I
>mean have you even been in a working studio?
>I would advise you to stop buying equipment right now and do some research on
>recording, sound, acoustics and the other related subjects.
>
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 4:25:15 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <pvoe01583qd7r6hu5h91p32bkka8qgi3v4@4ax.com> reguera@nospam.leavemealone.zk3.dec.com writes:

> Yes, I have been in studio's. Many years ago, I was
> the on-call dummer/percussionist in one of the bigger studios
> in New England. I am fairly sure you have heard my drumming on
> several pieces that still frequent the air-waves.

OK, so you're experienced in life.

> NOTE that I have not recieved the equipment yet. I ran into too good
> a deal to pass up., hence the rather simple questions.

Would it have killed you to wait until you received the equipment
before asking a question with an answer that would have been obvious
to you once you unpacked it? And is a deal on equipment that you have
to go thorough hoops to use really too good to pass up? Or are you
willing to just re-sell it at a profit?

> The USB concept baflles me. I will be getting an A/D-D/A that is 4
> in / 4 out with a USB connection. Does the USB contain ALL the data
> that is going into A/D converter? If so, is it being "truncated" into
> 2 tracks? If it is being sent into the puter as 4 track, then it is a
> simple thing to point the software to these tracks for manipulation.

The USB device talks to a driver in your computer. The driver makes it
appear as either two stereo devices or four mono devices, or either.
IT depends on the driver.

> I could have waited until I recieved the manual, but I figured
> someone out here could give me tips/tricks on what I will need to make
> life simpler.

Actually, you may or may not find this information in the manuals.
Manuals, as a rule, aren't tutorials, though in many cases, they
should be. However, if you were to follow the installation
instructions, you would probably discover these things yourself.

> Forget that I ever posted here. I will ensure that I not post here
> again.

Don't go away mad.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 7:39:30 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

John R wrote:

> The USB concept baflles me. I will be getting an A/D-D/A that is 4
> in / 4 out with a USB connection. Does the USB contain ALL the data
> that is going into A/D converter?

No, but it is supposed to transfer all the data coming _out_ of the ADC.
<g> And then transfer, when playing back, all the data for the DAC to
reconvert to sound from ones and zeros.

> If so, is it being "truncated" into 2 tracks?

Now we're down to the capabilites of the audio interface. I repeat that
you can probably downlod the manual for that interface and get up to
speed on what it'll do before you get it. Some people even do that
before they buy something just to make sure that what they buy will do
what they want to do.

Call me condescending, but did you want to explain to me why I should go
read that manual for you? Is there a good reason why you should not just
go do that and get yourself informed?

> If it is being sent into the puter as 4 track, then it is a
> simple thing to point the software to these tracks for manipulation.

Well, it's more complex than downloading a manual.

--
ha
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 11:13:37 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

mick_3@yahoo.com wrote:
> I have several newbie questions here.
>
> I am acquirubg a M-Audio USB Quattro and a behringer 1602A mixer.

I'm not an early adopter and as such haven't used USB for
any audio I/O so I will offer general observations.

> I still need to acquire a cheap condenser mic. (Suggestions
requested)

Review your 'needs'. A decent quality dynamic can be had
for the same or less $'s as a cheap condensor. Start
with an sm57 or EV635a. These will always be useful
and a cheap condensor will always be ... cheap.

> I have heard good things about Oktava, but QA is an issue. The 1602A
> has phantom power, so that is not an issue.

Oktava may not be a bad choice if your dead set on a
condensor mic. The new kid on the block seems to be
the AT2020. I'm waiting to get my hands on one soon.

> So, the question is.... How do I set this thing up?
>
> The quattro has 4 in / 4 out and a USB into the puter.
>
> Do I take 4 outputs from the mixer, send it to the Quattro, take 4
> outputs from the quattro into the mixer for monitoring?

Yes but there may be some latency concerns.
Monitor direct out of the mixer when possible.
You should be able to use just 2 main outputs
from the Quattro and do the mixing in the software.

> And will all 4 inputs go onto seperate tracks
> (via usb) in my system?

This is determined by the recording software and should
work that way. Most software will allow you to assign
any audio input channel to any software track.

>
> thanks
>
> John

good luck
rd
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 6:19:56 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

comments added inline as:
>>>>

Selective cut and paste.


>
>Call me condescending, but did you want to explain to me why I should go
>read that manual for you? Is there a good reason why you should not just
>go do that and get yourself informed?
>

>>>> No, I did not request that you read the manual. I did not insinuate that
>>>> your message was condescending (or at least, that was not my intent)
>>>> I was attempting to point out to the person I replied to, that his message had
>>>> a certain condescending overtone.
>>>> I assure you that I will delve into the manuals, but I put up a simply query asking
>>>> if anyone had used this product. Was it good? What will it do? What won't it do?
>>>> and how do I get the most out of it? (This was what I was attempting to ask)
>>>> Agreed, that most of this information is in the MANUAL. (RTFM) but there is information
>>>> tips/tricks that are not in the manual. This is what I was hunting for. I am on the ground
>>>> floor od Digital recording, so putting together worthwhile questions is difficult as I do not
>>>> have enough knowledge of the topic readily available.
>>>>

John
!