Eve

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Is this the right place to ask if this game is any good? Does it count
as a space sim or an MMORPG?
--
John Secker
8 answers Last reply

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:33:08 +0000, John Secker
    <john@secker.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >Is this the right place to ask if this game is any good?

    Yes.

    >Does it count as a space sim or an MMORPG?

    Yes.

    Lemming
    --
    Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    Jeff Holinski wrote:
    > It usually takes about 4 days to get a good frigate, about 10 days to
    > 2 weeks to get a good cruiser, and if you want one bad enough about a
    > month for a battleship. More advanced ships can take much longer and
    > cost a lot.

    I was flying a cruiser after playing for a week, but unless you're goal
    is to get into a BS as soon as possible, then you normally would spend
    several months training up learning, combat, navigation, and other such
    skills first. Jumping into a BS as soon as possible is a good way to
    just get it blown up. Plus, they tend to cost a LOT, you probably won't
    be able to afford one for awhile.

    > Now the bad news: Patches to fix problems tend to take longer than
    > they should and the devs tend to spend a lot of time tinkering with
    > the game balance rather than fixing bugs and adding new content.
    > They'll never completly balance the abilities of all the ships, but
    > that doesn't stop them from spending a lot of time trying. :(

    There are a few bugs that have been around since the beginning, but
    they haven't really bothered me much. But then, I'm mainly a miner, so
    the only bug I get is the getting hung up when right next to a bunch of
    asteroids, which almost never happens.

    > While ingame piracy has been around since the beginning, it's usually
    > a lot of ships blowing you up when you have NO chance of surviving.
    > 10 battleships attacking a low level frigate isn't unusual for a
    > pirate blockade.
    > Each star system in the game has a security rating and once you get
    > below .5 anyone can attack you for any reason. (or no reason)
    > lag can also be a significant problem in some circumstances. (to the
    > point that you lose ships because of it)
    > The only really fair combat you're going to get against other players
    > is with people you know.

    I've been playing for awhile and have never seen a "fair" fleet battle.
    It's always a bunch of guys ganging up on one or two ships. I don't
    spend much time in 0.0 though, so perhaps I'm missing it all.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    > Does it count
    > as a space sim or an MMORPG?

    So the two are mutually exclusive are they?

    As to whether it's any good, don't know havent played it.

    I think there is love and hate for it in equal measure.

    Seen as you can get a months free trial, you might as well see for yourself
    and form your own opinions.

    Do drop by and tell us when you do.
    Cheers
    Sven
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:33:08 +0000, John Secker
    <john@secker.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >Is this the right place to ask if this game is any good? Does it count
    >as a space sim or an MMORPG?
    There's not much talk about EVE online here, but I'm not aware of a
    newsgroup that it's discussed in.
    There are 2 website forums that you can get info in. One is the forums
    at www.eve-online.com You can read messages there but only subscribers
    can post messages.
    The other popular site is www.eve-i.com This site is open to anyone to
    read or post.

    As for the game, it's a MMORPG that controls like a RTS.
    Unlike most games where leveling of your character is done by
    repitition of killing small creatures, in EVE, you buy skills on the
    market. Training of them in then time based. (you don't need to be
    online for the skill to train)
    In the game your character can own as many ships as you can afford,
    but you can only fly one at a time. The more advanced ships require
    higher levels of skills to train. Skill training times are fairly
    short for low levels of skills, and increase exponentially.

    For example, To fly the starter ship you need the frigate skill
    trained to level 1. Everyone starts with that skill. To fly a better
    frigate, (small ship) you need the frigate trained to level 2 or 3
    depending on which ship you upgrade to. Training the skill to level 2
    will only take a couple of hours. Training it to level 3 may take a
    day, and level 4 may take a few days.

    The next level of ship is the cruiser. To fly one you need the frigate
    skill at level 4, then you need to buy and train the cruiser skill. As
    before, the higher you train the skill, the more advanced ships you
    can fly. When you get the cruiser skill to level 4 you can train for
    battleships.

    Each skill that you get can be trained to level 5 in theory. However,
    due to the exponential increase in training time, you don't usually
    train skills to level 5 unless it's a pre-requisite for a more
    advanced skill. For example, to fly the largest hauling ships in the
    game you need the industrial skill trained to level 5. Going from
    level 4 to level 5 takes about 35 days of training time so not
    everyone does it.

    It usually takes about 4 days to get a good frigate, about 10 days to
    2 weeks to get a good cruiser, and if you want one bad enough about a
    month for a battleship. More advanced ships can take much longer and
    cost a lot.

    Each ship that you get has expansion slots that you can plug modules
    into to specialize it. There are high power slots for weapons and
    energy drains, medium power slots for sheild boosters, speed boosters,
    jamming devices, and low power slots for stuff like cargo expanders,
    weapon upgrades, armour repair modules.
    Of course there is no one perfect ship. A ship that has a lot of slots
    for electronic warfare doesn't have enough for lots of weapons while a
    ship with lots of weapons won't be able to target jam well.
    The entire game is about trying to make the right tradeoffs when
    equipping your ships and hoping your loadout works when you get into
    battle.

    The game has a nice player driven market, but you have to be somewhat
    carefull not to fall for stupid scams. If you act like you're spending
    real money and do some research on purchases, you'll do better than
    buying the first thing you see.

    One other thing that's unusual about EVE is that there's only 1 main
    server and one test server. The main server has had up to 12,000
    people on at a time, but most of the time it tends to be in the 5000
    to 9000 range.

[...]

    In my opinion it was a pretty cool game and I played for over a year.
    Eventually I decided to take some time off of it and see if it evolves
    beyond some of the big limitations it has. (I still miss playing it
    though)

    Anyways, check the web forums I mentioned and if you decide to give it
    a try for a month, you can find it pretty cheap in most stores.

    Remove nospam_ to reply by email

    Jeff H........

    Lies, All lies. Don't believe a word Difool/sayNO says.
    He fears the truth!
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    John Secker wrote:
    > Is this the right place to ask if this game is any good? Does it
    count
    > as a space sim or an MMORPG?
    > --
    > John Secker

    Eve hardly gets mentioned. it used to have alot of chatter back in the
    beta-days, but it seems it's not a real conversation piece anymore.

    (1) it's not a space "sim" because you don't have a flight simulator
    control over your ship. It's point and click.

    (2) therefore, it's a 'sci-fi space MMOG'
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:33:08 +0000, John Secker
    <john@secker.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >Is this the right place to ask if this game is any good? Does it count
    >as a space sim or an MMORPG?

    I was looking at their forums today. I notice that a LOT of post that
    are complaining about unfixed bugs/gamebalance are being locked by
    moderators. It's fine if you want to talk about how good the game is,
    but they don't want people posting about problems with it.

    That's not a good sign. :(

    Remove nospam_ to reply by email

    Jeff H........

    Lies, All lies. Don't believe a word Difool/sayNO says.
    He fears the truth!
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    Erland fer prez!
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    > I was looking at their forums today. I notice that a LOT of post that
    > are complaining about unfixed bugs/gamebalance are being locked by
    > moderators. It's fine if you want to talk about how good the game is,
    > but they don't want people posting about problems with it.
    >
    > That's not a good sign. :(

    Its not so much complaints as a vocal mobb trying to push the devs around.

    EVE's solar systems is divided in security zones kind of. Where 1.0 to 0.5
    is basically a non PVP zone unless sanctioned Corp/Alliance Wars.
    0.4 to 0.0 is Wild west and open for PVP.

    You have the Empire dwellers on one side, and the 0.0 crowd on the other.
    The 0.0 crowd is made up of Alliances claiming systems with high end ore,
    the good
    NPC's to hunt etc. If a non alliance member enters these systems they can
    expect end up get ganked. That is if they doesn't end up get ganked by
    player pirates
    camping entry jump gates into these systems in the first place.

    For a very long time life in Empire space been the same, people been doing
    mining low grade minerals, doing agent missions, small time production etc.
    Although most
    producers who doesnt have ties to 0.0 space have to purchase high grade
    minerals to well, blood prices from the 0.0 crowd.

    With the latest Exodus patch, CCP introduced higher level agents (level 4).
    And these can be found in both high security Empire space and lowe security
    space.
    Alliances in 0.0 did notice more and more of their members did vacate back
    to Empire space doing high level missions rather than fight futile wars in
    0.0 with other Alliances.
    Also many of those who before did make a living out of tedious mining moved
    on to doing agent missions, more fun, more risk but still better rewards
    than boring mining.
    With the new agents, people end up lose more ships than before because the
    missions are way harder. As a result mineral prices rise as more ships get
    blown up, and less miners do mine.

    Now the 0.0 crowd, Alliances, Player pirates who start suffer from members
    going back to Empire and weaken their war machine, and player pirates notice
    less targets to gank.
    Start cry out loud about "Risk Vs Reward" and how easy these high level
    missions are and they pay to much. Cry up about how high mineral prices
    become as a result of them etc.
    Since the start of EVE, the introduction of high level agents is probably
    the best thing ever happend for the non PVP players, the PVE'rs, the
    builders, miners etc. It gives more excitement to the game. Players that
    focus most on gather assets by missions, mining, production whateve really,
    of course gain more ISK (the currency in EVE) faster than those who focus on
    PVP which is hardly rewarding at all, as looting other players doesnt yield
    that much unless you are lucky and take out someone who got some nice
    modules fitted, or valuable cargo.

    CCP been saying they will look into balance the agents and rewards based on
    the systems security standings. So the lower security of the system the more
    reward and bonus's. At same they said they wont move or chage the agents
    already in place. Well, some players seems to just want to push Empire
    dwellers back into doing tedious mining again to supply the PVP crowd with
    cheap base minerals so they can replace their lost ships easier. Imho, how I
    see it really. CCP said they are working towards make 0.0 more rewarding,
    however some people are impatient and think if they gather a big enough
    vocal mobb and give the impression its the voice of the general EVE
    population they can push the devs around to do things how they see fit.
    Sorry but things doesn't work like that, you can't bully devs around to
    alter the game mechanics to suit your player style, you need to adopt to
    changes in the game as they appear.

    Last night membes of the "Xetic Federation", an alliance within EVE, started
    spam the EVE-Online forums with "or else", "quiting", etc kind of posts. The
    moderators did their job and closed down the threads that was little more
    than rants and spam. Then these jokers did create new threads with same spam
    all over, which the moderators closed again (and again).
    I know some members of

    Xetic feelt bad about what happend afterwards and was shamefull about it,
    and it seem some even consider to leave Xetic because of this.

    I think its bad in general when players can't act their age, but act out so
    imature and childish so even a 4yr old is more mature. EVE is a game where
    you can do whatever you want to do, if you want to do PVP you do that, if
    you want to do PVE you do that, if you want do to little of everything you
    can. However some people think that PVP is all there is, even the actual PVP
    players in EVE is a minority they want to push their ways onto the general
    players. Start a campaign with the purpose of force players to go down to
    less secure space by screaming "Risk Vs Reward" over and over as loud they
    can. The average EVE player sort of got alienated from 0.0 part of space
    because not everyone is fond of lose ships and fittings they spent weeks,
    even months of aquire (not everyone play the game 23/7). What is someones
    laugh and fun for 5 min while they gank someone, can be someone elses hard
    work for the past month. Anways, EVE is a mmorpg as any other, there is a
    bunch of asshats in it as in other games ;-)

PC gaming Mmorpg Games IBM Video Games