Connecting SPDIF?

Maybe some patient person could help me. I need some help trying to
connect my equipment via spdif and digital outs. I have the following:
1. MOTU 828MkII Interface (1 Spdif - coaxial)
2. Tascam CDX1500 Cd Player (Digital outs on each side, seems like a
mini-jack connection)
3. Akai Z8 (Spdif)

I need to hook all these up. I'm more concerned about the Tascam as I
use cd samples.

I'm quite new when it comes to connecting things!
Please help
10 answers Last reply
More about connecting spdif

    Mate, I always read the manuals. But I'm sure you're aware that most
    manuals dont provide detailed and specific setups hence the reason for
    me asking here!
    I want to connect the Tascam to the MOTU (mentioned above ALREADY).
    Now can I ask someone else who is more helpful instead of a person who
    gets a thrill outta mocking people.
    Thank you

    On 6 Feb 2005 08:01:12 -0800, mailing@45wax.com wrote:

    >Maybe some patient person could help me. I need some help trying to
    >connect my equipment via spdif and digital outs. I have the following:
    >1. MOTU 828MkII Interface (1 Spdif - coaxial)
    >2. Tascam CDX1500 Cd Player (Digital outs on each side, seems like a
    >mini-jack connection)
    >3. Akai Z8 (Spdif)

    1. Probably an "RCA" jack?
    2. If you look down inside the "mini-jack", do you see an LED?
    3. Another RCA?

    Connector 1 is electrical, 2 is optical (and may also provide an
    analog electrical connection via the mini jack). You can buy a little
    adapter box to go between them, for $20 at an electronics dealer like
    MCM, or $200 at an audio store. The simple adapter is one-way, so be
    sure to get the one with the input and output you want. More expensive
    models may include multiple connectors and both directions.

    You'll also need a coax cable for one side, and an optical cable for
    the other. If your adapter and optical cable use the ~1/4" D-shaped
    TOSlink connector instead of one that is shaped like a mini-jack,
    there are little adapters that fit over the TOSlink end and into the
    mini jack.

    There are also the two-pin "digital" connector on the back of most
    internal CD drives, which is (almost) S/PDIF but with 0-5 V level, and
    the BNC connector on "professional" gear which is AES/EBU, the pro
    version of S/PDIF. A simple passive adapter will let you connect the
    digital out of a CD drive to a coax S/PDIF input. Sometimes you can
    connect AES/EBU to a coax S/PDIF input with an appropriate cable, but
    AES/EBU is capable of data formats the simpler S/PDIF won't
    understand.

    Hope that helps...

    Loren

    Thank you in advance to Mike.
    In regards to the other 2 funny people who replied to this, I clearly
    mentioned above that I wanted to connect the equipment via spdif. Now
    maybe you 2 didnt know that the MOTU has 1 SPDIF connection hence the
    reason for me asking. I know about chaining equipment in reference to
    the analogue query. That was not my question. Maybe you need to read
    the question because why the hell would I mention the types of DIGITAL
    connections the equipment provided.
    Mate, seriously, if you dont want to answer the question then dont but
    do us a favour and stop acting childish with your absurd remarks.
    Theres no need for them. I also mentioned that I'm quite new to this. I
    have never chained gear digitally.
    Laurence Payne wrote:
    > On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 19:34:40 GMT, walkinay@thegrid.net (hank alrich)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >> I want to connect the Tascam to the MOTU (mentioned above
    ALREADY).

    > >Please read what you posted and point out where you specified your
    > >intended signal chain. "I need to hook all these up" is not exactly
    such
    > >a description. And since they all have I's and all have O's, there
    are
    > >more than a couple of ways to "hook all these up". That was, and
    > >remains, my point.

    > >What do you mean "digital outs on each side"? And when you say
    "seems
    > >like a mini-jack connection" are you saying the manual for the
    Tascam
    > >does not tell you what those connectors are and what they carry?
    Want to
    > >bet?
    >
    > Were you born ornery, or do you practice? :-)
    >
    > The Tascam is a dual-deck CD player. I think we can safely assume
    > that if it HAS digital connections, they are outputs. One for each
    > deck.
    >
    > He has two other units that could receive digital data. It's a bit
    > of a no-brainer then that Digital Out of the CD needs to go to
    Digital

    In article <1107702295.825291.104570@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com> mailing@45wax.com writes:

    > Maybe some patient person could help me. I need some help trying to
    > connect my equipment via spdif and digital outs. I have the following:
    > 1. MOTU 828MkII Interface (1 Spdif - coaxial)
    > 2. Tascam CDX1500 Cd Player (Digital outs on each side, seems like a
    > mini-jack connection)
    > 3. Akai Z8 (Spdif)
    >
    > I need to hook all these up. I'm more concerned about the Tascam as I
    > use cd samples.

    Your dual CD player has a s/pdif coax output for each deck as well as
    a pair of RCA jacks for analog outputs of each deck. Your Z8 has a
    s/pdif output as well as a pair of analog outputs. Your MOTU 828/II
    doesn't have enough digital inputs to connect everything digitally.

    For simplicity, I'd recommend that you use the analog outputs for
    everything and connect them to the analog inputs on the MOTU. You can
    buy off-the-shelf cables to do that and you won't have any trouble.

    You can experiment with digital connections if you feel inclined but
    there really isn't much point to it. Really. Believe me.

    <mailing@45wax.com> wrote:

    > Maybe some patient person could help me. I need some help trying to
    > connect my equipment via spdif and digital outs. I have the following:
    > 1. MOTU 828MkII Interface (1 Spdif - coaxial)
    > 2. Tascam CDX1500 Cd Player (Digital outs on each side, seems like a
    > mini-jack connection)
    > 3. Akai Z8 (Spdif)
    >
    > I need to hook all these up.

    Great. Now what do you want to connect to what?

    > I'm more concerned about the Tascam as I
    > use cd samples.

    And, what do you want to do with this gear?

    > I'm quite new when it comes to connecting things!

    Understood. <g> But more information is needed here before people can
    sensibly answer your questions. Further, all those pieces of equipment
    come with manuals. Have you read them?

    --
    ha

    <mailing@45wax.com> wrote:

    > Mate, I always read the manuals. But I'm sure you're aware that most
    > manuals dont provide detailed and specific setups hence the reason for
    > me asking here!

    Actually, most manuals I read _do_ provide that information. And that is
    why I asked you in the first place.

    > I want to connect the Tascam to the MOTU (mentioned above ALREADY).

    Please read what you posted and point out where you specified your
    intended signal chain. "I need to hook all these up" is not exactly such
    a description. And since they all have I's and all have O's, there are
    more than a couple of ways to "hook all these up". That was, and
    remains, my point.

    > > 2. Tascam CDX1500 Cd Player (Digital outs on each side, seems like a
    > > mini-jack connection)

    What do you mean "digital outs on each side"? And when you say "seems
    like a mini-jack connection" are you saying the manual for the Tascam
    does not tell you what those connectors are and what they carry? Want to
    bet?

    How about asking whoever sold you this stuff?

    I get a thrill out of helping people, especially people who bother to
    figure out how to ask questions that can be answered sensibly. Please
    see Roger Norman's post in another thread about just this situation.

    As for a complete answer to your questions, you connect outputs to
    inputs. There you go. Get to work.

    --
    ha

    In article <1grk7l3.t45kr5lmi98qN%walkinay@thegrid.net> walkinay@thegrid.net writes:

    > Actually, most manuals I read _do_ provide that information. And that is
    > why I asked you in the first place.

    I read the manuals for his equipment and gave him one of many popular
    answers. I'll admit that his description wasn't very good. The CD
    player is actually a dual player for DJ use, and the "mini jack" is an
    RCA jack, like practically every other S/PDIF coax connector.

    Perhaps he doesn't understand something very fundamental - that
    outputs get connected to inputs (and not like-labeled outputs).

    On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 15:03:17 -0800, Loren Amelang <loren@pacific.net>
    wrote:

    >On 6 Feb 2005 08:01:12 -0800, mailing@45wax.com wrote:
    >
    >>Maybe some patient person could help me. I need some help trying to
    >>connect my equipment via spdif and digital outs. I have the following:
    >>1. MOTU 828MkII Interface (1 Spdif - coaxial)
    >>2. Tascam CDX1500 Cd Player (Digital outs on each side, seems like a
    >>mini-jack connection)
    >>3. Akai Z8 (Spdif)
    >
    >1. Probably an "RCA" jack?
    >2. If you look down inside the "mini-jack", do you see an LED?
    >3. Another RCA?
    >
    >Connector 1 is electrical, 2 is optical (and may also provide an
    >analog electrical connection via the mini jack).

    Oops... According to people who know your specific equipment, "2"
    isn't a mini-jack, it's S/PDIF on an RCA. If so, all you need is an
    RCA to RCA coax cable to connect it to a coax digital input.

    I should have questioned the "mini jack" identification in more
    detail, but I jumped to the conclusion that it was a dual purpose
    (analog/digital) mini jack, and the question was how to get from there
    to coax digital.

    Maybe the question is how to connect three coax digital outputs to one
    coax digital input? I'm using an input selector switch designed for
    analog video, and it seems to cause no problems.

    Loren

    x-no archive: yes

    Laurence Payne wrote:

    > Were you born ornery, or do you practice? :-)

    Daddy told me natural talent alone wasn't enough.

    --
    ha

Pro Audio Connection Audio CD-Rom