Alternative to ADAT Connect

Last response: in Home Audio
February 6, 2005 7:55:03 PM

Hello all,

My band mate has an 8 channel adat and an ADAT connect card... it isn't
compatible with Windows XP, and it's giving us a lot of trouble under
Windows ME. Does anyone know of alternatives to this, that would work
with Windows XP? I know there are some $300-400 cards on the market
that support the ADAT lightpipe, but I was hoping for something cheaper.

All we really want to do with it is convert the 8 tracks to .wav files
and transfer to the computer.

Any help, greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 7:55:04 PM

If you're not looking to buy any additional hardware, you could take it
to a studio that has a DAW with a working ADAT input and do the
transfer. Any studio with a Digidesign 001 or 002, Hammerfall 9652, or
similar interface could do it. You could probably get it done for way
less than $300-400..probably for $25-35/hr. if you look around.

RP
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 11:14:09 PM

"Eric Wertman" <eric@scienceofsilence.com> wrote in message

> My band mate has an 8 channel adat and an ADAT connect card... it isn't
> compatible with Windows XP, and it's giving us a lot of trouble under
> Windows ME. Does anyone know of alternatives to this, that would work
> with Windows XP? I know there are some $300-400 cards on the market
> that support the ADAT lightpipe, but I was hoping for something cheaper.

The Frontier Designs Wavecenter PCI can be had for $289 or so.

Hal Laurent
Baltimore
February 6, 2005 11:15:28 PM

Yeah, thanks, I had considered that, but we record pretty frequently,
that $25 an hour would add up to the cost of hardware pretty quickly.
We may end up just either building a computer out of left-over parts
specifically for the purpose, or just buying a cheap old desktop to use
for only that. It would be way better to find a Windows XP compatible
solution though.

Rick Powell wrote:
> If you're not looking to buy any additional hardware, you could take it
> to a studio that has a DAW with a working ADAT input and do the
> transfer. Any studio with a Digidesign 001 or 002, Hammerfall 9652, or
> similar interface could do it. You could probably get it done for way
> less than $300-400..probably for $25-35/hr. if you look around.
>
> RP

Anonymous
February 7, 2005 4:32:19 AM

terratec ews88D 149.00 at m.f.
"Eric Wertman" <eric@scienceofsilence.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> My band mate has an 8 channel adat and an ADAT connect card... it isn't
> compatible with Windows XP, and it's giving us a lot of trouble under
> Windows ME. Does anyone know of alternatives to this, that would work
> with Windows XP? I know there are some $300-400 cards on the market
> that support the ADAT lightpipe, but I was hoping for something cheaper.
>
> All we really want to do with it is convert the 8 tracks to .wav files
> and transfer to the computer.
>
> Any help, greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
February 7, 2005 6:24:42 AM

Try installing it on a win 98se or NT 4.0 (if compatible)computer.Win ME is
nothing but problems.I bet it will work better.

Eric Wertman <eric@scienceofsilence.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> My band mate has an 8 channel adat and an ADAT connect card... it isn't
> compatible with Windows XP, and it's giving us a lot of trouble under
> Windows ME. Does anyone know of alternatives to this, that would work
> with Windows XP? I know there are some $300-400 cards on the market
> that support the ADAT lightpipe, but I was hoping for something cheaper.
>
> All we really want to do with it is convert the 8 tracks to .wav files
> and transfer to the computer.
>
> Any help, greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 7:59:18 PM

It won't work under NT either, and the difference between 98SE and ME isn't
that big either. The drivers for that card was never any good.

/Preben Friis

"Troy" <alternate-root@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Try installing it on a win 98se or NT 4.0 (if compatible)computer.Win ME
> is
> nothing but problems.I bet it will work better.
February 7, 2005 11:06:46 PM

Actually the difference between 98se and ME are huge.ME was crashing POS
with nothing but problems.I still use 98se on a couple of computers here and
I can tell you they work way better than ME.98se is still the best pre win
XP OS out there.

Preben Friis <noone@technologist.com> wrote in message
> It won't work under NT either, and the difference between 98SE and ME
isn't
> that big either. The drivers for that card was never any good.
>
> /Preben Friis
>
> "Troy" <alternate-root@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> > Try installing it on a win 98se or NT 4.0 (if compatible)computer.Win ME
> > is
> > nothing but problems.I bet it will work better.

Anonymous
February 7, 2005 11:06:47 PM

Troy wrote:
> Actually the difference between 98se and ME are huge.ME was crashing POS
> with nothing but problems.I still use 98se on a couple of computers here and
> I can tell you they work way better than ME.98se is still the best pre win
> XP OS out there.

"Best" goes to NT 3.51, 4, 2000 (NT5), and 2003 (NT5.2). The
"industrial" versions were always far better than the consumer ones,
which includes XP no matter what they say.

As always, YMMV. Obviously mine did.
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 11:42:51 PM

Eric Wertman wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> My band mate has an 8 channel adat and an ADAT connect card... it
isn't
> compatible with Windows XP, and it's giving us a lot of trouble under

> Windows ME. Does anyone know of alternatives to this, that would
work
> with Windows XP? I know there are some $300-400 cards on the market
> that support the ADAT lightpipe, but I was hoping for something
cheaper.

> All we really want to do with it is convert the 8 tracks to .wav
files
> and transfer to the computer.
>
> Any help, greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

Alesis made a great industry standard when they created
the lightpipe interface. They fell short in implementation
for the computer with the connect card. There are lots of
better PCI cards from other suppliers with ADAT I/O:

RME 9632 8 ch
9636 16 ch
9652 24 ch
Frontier Wavecenter 8 ch
Dakota 16 ch

http://www.frontierdesign.com/products.htm

Based on price you might look at EMU's 1212M
card, or the Terratec EWS88 D

http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?product=2209&ca...

Beware of other older cards that are no longer
supported like Lexicon Core, and Sonorus Studi/o

good luck
rd
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 12:47:02 AM

I will chime in here to say I'm also still running
98SE on the audio PC.
However ...
I envision being 'required' to upgrade OS as I
continue to migrate toward digital/PC.

rd
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 2:47:31 AM

"Eric Wertman" <eric@scienceofsilence.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> My band mate has an 8 channel adat and an ADAT connect card... it isn't
> compatible with Windows XP, and it's giving us a lot of trouble under
> Windows ME. Does anyone know of alternatives to this, that would work
> with Windows XP? I know there are some $300-400 cards on the market
> that support the ADAT lightpipe, but I was hoping for something cheaper.
>
> All we really want to do with it is convert the 8 tracks to .wav files
> and transfer to the computer.
>
> Any help, greatly appreciated.

I can't really reccomend it because I've never seen one in action, but the
least expensive thing on the market is the Terratec ADAT card. If it has the
features you want, I'd do some research as to the quality of the card's
drivers.

jb
February 8, 2005 4:26:09 AM

OK but he said it wasen't compatible with NT.You are right that NT is better
but a lot of things like the card he wants to use were not available with NT
drivers.They were designed to run on more popular platforms like win 98.I
still recomend win 98se over win ME by far.I use win NT 4.0 on a couple
servers here and never upgraded them to 2000 or better because they work
great as is.But not everything that was win 98 compatible was NT compatible
if it were I would have suggested using it.

S O'Neill <nopsam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Troy wrote:
> > Actually the difference between 98se and ME are huge.ME was crashing POS
> > with nothing but problems.I still use 98se on a couple of computers here
and
> > I can tell you they work way better than ME.98se is still the best pre
win
> > XP OS out there.
>

> "Best" goes to NT 3.51, 4, 2000 (NT5), and 2003 (NT5.2). The
> "industrial" versions were always far better than the consumer ones,
> which includes XP no matter what they say.
>
> As always, YMMV. Obviously mine did.
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 4:26:10 AM

> OK but he said it wasen't compatible with NT.You are right that NT is
better
> but a lot of things like the card he wants to use were not available with
NT
> drivers.They were designed to run on more popular platforms like win 98.I
> still recomend win 98se over win ME by far.I use win NT 4.0 on a couple
> servers here and never upgraded them to 2000 or better because they work
> great as is.But not everything that was win 98 compatible was NT
compatible
> if it were I would have suggested using it.

Win98 and ME were both absolute garbage. MS has released exactly two good
operating system products: DOS 6.22 and Win2k. Windows 95 was decent only in
relation to Windows 3.11

NT was not mature until 2k but now they've started screwing around again in
a big way. Who will do better at this point? I just wish IBM still
aggressively made things instead of giving out hand jobs for money.

jb
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 8:05:24 AM

"reddred" <opaloka@REMOVECAPSyahoo.com> wrote in message...

> Win98 and ME were both absolute garbage. MS has released exactly two good
> operating system products: DOS 6.22 and Win2k. Windows 95 was decent only in
> relation to Windows 3.11

I dunno' man... I've still got 3 workstations that are rock solid on 98 and 98SE.
This here little home surf toy is also on 98SE, loaded with peripherals, and has
no problems, either. I do this by choice, as I have two other OSs that aren't
registered yet, but I did try them and didn't care to make the change. I still think
XP is a bloated bag of wind too, but I really haven't given it a fair shake yet.

M.E. was the worst POS ever conceived. It's shelf life was miniscule, it's
'bundled' life was not much better, and it destroyed two PCs before I gave
it away. Couldn't sell it, because like a fool, I registered it the minute I put
it in. I don't think I've ever wanted to return an item as badly as I did M.E.

DM
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 8:05:25 AM

play_on wrote:

> XP is far more stable than 98SE

Everything but ME is.
February 8, 2005 10:26:29 AM

OK..thats your opinion......but your comments are not helping the poster.

> "Troy" <alternate-root@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> > OK but he said it wasen't compatible with NT.You are right that NT is
> better
> > but a lot of things like the card he wants to use were not available
with
> NT
> > drivers.They were designed to run on more popular platforms like win
98.I
> > still recomend win 98se over win ME by far.I use win NT 4.0 on a couple
> > servers here and never upgraded them to 2000 or better because they work
> > great as is.But not everything that was win 98 compatible was NT
> compatible
> > if it were I would have suggested using it.
> >

> Win98 and ME were both absolute garbage. MS has released exactly two good
> operating system products: DOS 6.22 and Win2k. Windows 95 was decent only
in
> relation to Windows 3.11
>
> NT was not mature until 2k but now they've started screwing around again
in
> a big way. Who will do better at this point? I just wish IBM still
> aggressively made things instead of giving out hand jobs for money.
>
> jb

February 8, 2005 10:41:57 AM

I agree .....my win 98se workstations are working good also (as good as can
be expected from a microsoft product) I also run 2 servers on NT 4.0 both
work great .I also run one workstation on win 2000 and it runs OK.....But my
G5 running OSX has been the least problematic.
I need my widows boxes to run equipment but my G5 is my main computer for
audio ,video and graphics work......and I am in no way one of these so
called Mac snobs.I just switched to a Mac 1 year ago because with the
research I did for audio,video and graphics all pointed to the Mac for my
needs.

Let the flames run wild !!!!!

David Morgan (MAMS) <mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com> wrote in message
news:o MXNd.22374$uc.2298@trnddc09...

> "reddred" <opaloka@REMOVECAPSyahoo.com> wrote in message...
>
> > Win98 and ME were both absolute garbage. MS has released exactly two
good
> > operating system products: DOS 6.22 and Win2k. Windows 95 was decent
only in
> > relation to Windows 3.11
>

> I dunno' man... I've still got 3 workstations that are rock solid on 98
and 98SE.
> This here little home surf toy is also on 98SE, loaded with peripherals,
and has
> no problems, either. I do this by choice, as I have two other OSs that
aren't
> registered yet, but I did try them and didn't care to make the change. I
still think
> XP is a bloated bag of wind too, but I really haven't given it a fair
shake yet.

> M.E. was the worst POS ever conceived. It's shelf life was miniscule,
it's
> 'bundled' life was not much better, and it destroyed two PCs before I gave
> it away. Couldn't sell it, because like a fool, I registered it the
minute I put
> it in. I don't think I've ever wanted to return an item as badly as I did
M.E.

> DM

Anonymous
February 8, 2005 11:50:16 AM

And I was just saying hello to someone... sorry....

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s.com

"Troy" <alternate-root@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:xVZNd.320656$8l.59943@pd7tw1no...

> I was recomending <snippage>
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 11:56:14 AM

"Troy" <alternate-root@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:93_Nd.320820$8l.28409@pd7tw1no...

> Let the flames run wild !!!!!

No flames... I was a Mac guy until we lost SD-II and I decided
that I wanted a home computer. I chose PC for both and never
looked back. Can't blame you for your preference... I've got a
lot of time on Macs (up through PowerMac days) and dedicated
workstations were magnificently stable. A *dedicated* PC ain't
all that bad either. <g>

Any body else for flamage?

;-)
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 11:58:09 AM

By the way, I apologize to Eric for straying off topic.
February 8, 2005 12:03:10 PM

That post was not directed at you

> And I was just saying hello to someone... sorry....
>
> --
> David Morgan (MAMS)
> http://www.m-a-m-s.com
> Morgan Audio Media Service
> Dallas, Texas (214) 662-9901
> _______________________________________
> http://www.artisan-recordingstudio.com
>

> "Troy" <alternate-root@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>
> > I was recomending <snippage>

Anonymous
February 8, 2005 7:18:44 PM

"David Morgan (MAMS)" <mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com> wrote in message
> And I was just saying hello to someone... sorry....

I didn't mean to upset anybody. Maybe we should talk about Exxon vs. Shell.

jb
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 10:54:39 PM

Heh.. Don't sweat it, I do computer work for a living, so I'm used to
this sort of argument. I agree that win98 is at least somewhat more
stable than ME, but that's hardly noticeable when I spend my days
dealing with AIX servers that stay up for sometimes years at a stretch.

Thanks for the input all... I'm checking out some of the cards that
folks here have mentioned. It's likely I'm going to find or buy an old
Dell workstation with (or put) win98 on it, and just put the card in
there, network it, and pull the tracks to the computer that hosts Cubase
That way.

David Morgan (MAMS) wrote:
> By the way, I apologize to Eric for straying off topic.

Anonymous
February 12, 2005 2:33:00 PM

> My band mate has an 8 channel adat and an ADAT connect card... it isn't
> compatible with Windows XP, and it's giving us a lot of trouble under
> Windows ME. Does anyone know of alternatives to this, that would work
> with Windows XP? I know there are some $300-400 cards on the market that
> support the ADAT lightpipe, but I was hoping for something cheaper.
>
> All we really want to do with it is convert the 8 tracks to .wav files and
> transfer to the computer.
>
> Any help, greatly appreciated.

- you could use MARC A from marian (http://marian.de/english/main.htm /
http://marian.de/english/marc_a.htm) it´s only 129 Euros (about $166) in
Germany.

- use the behringer BCA2000, for 200 Euros it´s capable of converting ADAT
to USB2.0 (useful for laptop etc) has MIDI in/out and 2 phantom powered MIC
inputs.

hth
Ingo
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 11:31:12 AM

"Ingo Kniest" <ingo.kniest.spam01@gmx.de> wrote in message

>> My band mate has an 8 channel adat and an ADAT connect card... it isn't
>> compatible with Windows XP, and it's giving us a lot of trouble under
>> Windows ME. Does anyone know of alternatives to this, that would work
>> with Windows XP? I know there are some $300-400 cards on the market that
>> support the ADAT lightpipe, but I was hoping for something cheaper.
>>
>> All we really want to do with it is convert the 8 tracks to .wav files
>> and transfer to the computer.
>>
>> Any help, greatly appreciated.
>>

> - you could use MARC A from marian (http://marian.de/english/main.htm /
> http://marian.de/english/marc_a.htm) it´s only 129 Euros (about $166) in
> Germany.
>
> - use the behringer BCA2000, for 200 Euros it´s capable of converting ADAT
> to USB2.0 (useful for laptop etc) has MIDI in/out and 2 phantom powered
> MIC inputs.
>
> hth
> Ingo

I just purchased an Emu 1212m for this exact purpose. I paid $188 USD on
eBay with free express shipping. You can check it out at
http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?maincategory=75...

longhairgreg
January 23, 2009 8:28:04 AM

Dear Ingo Use EMU 1212M and connect by fiber optics.

you shd have Cubase or Adobe for Multitrack or 2 track recording respectively...

by simply adding Cubase to your PC (?) you can live record simultaneously 8 channels of 24/48 resolution or 24/96 of 4 channels, where Adat is switched in record ready mode, I mean no time waste in recording on Adat and then transferring to PC, you can do it online...

hope this helps, and most important is the ADC of Alesis Adat are equally good as any other Pro ADC in Market IMHO.

Regds

Sunny
!