Sign in with
Your question

Samsung 710T 12ms Panel

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
May 14, 2004 10:22:21 PM

Looks like Samsung is releasing a 12 ms TN-based monitor, model number 710T. Having both DVI and analog inputs, it also boasts a full 24-bit color spectrum (16.7 million colors). On top of all that, it's supposed to support pivoting and is wall mountable. So, might this be the gaming monitor of choice? Does anyone have more information on it than is stated on Samsung's web site?
May 27, 2004 1:23:30 PM

Can't find anything other than press releases. If the specs hold up, this could be a great panel.
May 27, 2004 1:47:23 PM

Go to www.monitordepot.com They have it for $625CAD. Look for it and it will give you price and specs.

It's cheaper than the 172x....kinda wierd??? I think because of ergonomics?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Kwaidan on 05/27/04 09:53 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 28, 2004 2:14:46 AM

I think it's cheaper because it uses TN film technology as opposed to the PVA technology on the 172X. TN displays usually are cheaper and many claim faster response LCDs while most say PVA displays give better color reproduction. How this model stacks up to the 172X, I do not know.
May 30, 2004 8:31:45 PM

I just took a leap of faith and purchased this monitor from Dell. They are apparently having some sort of sale going on with 10% off (cut about $50 off the regular price to just about $475) and free shipping. Looks like it may take some time to get it since the first few they got seem to have ran out pretty quick, but I'll post my impressions of it when it arrives.
June 4, 2004 5:09:14 PM

did you get it yet? i'm dying to get the right monitor, and it is between this one and the 172x. I almost feel like taking a leap of faith and getting the 710t also...
June 4, 2004 5:15:04 PM

No, apparently it's on backorder. Hopefully it'll come in within the next week or so. Anyway I saw a pretty good deal at Ebuyer on it for about $480 w/ free shipping. I don't think you can really beat the price with the features this thing has (DVI, 24 bit support, 12 ms response time) even if that 12 ms may or may not be exaggerated. Hell, even if it performs at the 16 ms level it would still be pretty darn good.
June 14, 2004 10:50:15 PM

Ok just got this monitor in today. Here are my initial impressions.

This monitor is MUCH brighter than my previous monitor, an old 21" Hitachi CRT. After going through a few test screens, I found no dead or stuck pixels. Had to do a little color calibration on it to get the best image, but overall the factory settings are decent. The base IS height adjustable and it supports pivoting. The bezel is very thin, probably 1 cm on the sides and about 1.5-2 cm top and bottom. All monitor adjustment buttons are located in the bottom right corner, almost hidden. Viewing angles seem to be more than adaquate for normal use.

I popped in UT2004 and Far Cry and noticed NO visible ghosting. I only played about 5 minutes or so on each, but I'll post again if I notice anything different. I also tried changing the resolution to 1024x768 in UT2004 to see if it displayed it well. To be honest, I could tell there was a very SLIGHT softening of the image, but it was completely playable and I wouldn't even notice in the heat of battle. I really had to look for it to notice. The desktop didn't do as well, but I don't think anyone would want to put that at anything other than native resolution.

I put in Kill Bill Vol. 1 DVD to test that out and it looked a little odd, "grainy" being the best adjective I can think of, probably due to dithering. I wouldn't normally want to watch a DVD on my computer anyway, so it doesn't make much of a difference to me.

Overall, my initial impressions of this monitor are very positive. I would surely recommend it to anyone that wants a quality monitor with all the bells and whistles, but doesn't want to pay $600 for it. At around $475, this monitor was a steal.
June 15, 2004 2:22:31 PM

Quote:
probably due to dithering

According to the Samsung site, this panel displays 16.7 M colors (8 bits/color) so I wouldn't expect any dithering. Dithering only occurs with 6 bit/color to try to fool the eye into seeing 16.2 M colors.

Anyway, after looking for quite a while, I am seriously considering this lcd. But since I do plan on editing some digital photos and some home video (10% of the time), and occasionally watching DVDs or TV via time shifting (another 5%), would this graininess be too annoying? Based on the specs I was really hoping that this would meet my needs, especially for the cost.
June 15, 2004 5:20:49 PM

Well I popped in one of the Matrix titles to make sure that it wasn't just Kill Bill (since that movie has a lot of interesting filming choices) and it seemed to be a little bit better. I still noticed it, but it could also be my DVD drive/software. As I said, I don't really play too many DVDs on this, so I'm not to sure what the cause is.

I've noticed that Samsung's site (as well as some others) can be wrong sometimes as they don't appear to update it very often. I've also heard that this panel is the same as in the 172X, though that may only be a rumor. So the panel may or may not only support 6 bits/color. You may want to see if you can get a look at a 710N or a 712N at a store and see for yourself. I believe they are both based around the same panel.
!