What should I play?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

I generally play 4x, with the odd 1st person shooter for light relief.
I still return again & again to and Civilization (the first) and
concentrate on Civ and its derivatives, like Alph Centauri and other
4x'ers like Master of Orion.

So, what space sims might I like? And what are the generally agreed
"top 10"?

I am really only interested in turn based games, as sooner or later the
computer AI will overrun me in real-time games.

I definitely like 4X, with the exploration scoring highly. I enjoy the
balancing act, but generally go for a land grab at the start, then try
for peace and concentrate on research until it is annihilation time.
The battles seem to interest me less.

What can you recommend for me? Thanks in advance...

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

starcraft.

this from the nyt:

"For Mr. Pandit, 48, a self-effacing man who flourished for more than
20 years in the rough-and-tumble world of Morgan Stanley's
institutional business, the appointments were a slap in the face. A
believer in the Morgan Stanley brand who commands deep respect in and
outside of the firm, he was the architect of the firm's hedge fund and
derivatives businesses that remain highly regarded on Wall Street.

But in recent months, according to people who had spoken with him, he
had become disillusioned and upset with the firm's overall performance
under Mr. Purcell. Always the loyal soldier, he kept his views mostly
to himself, and as recently as a month ago spoke publicly in support of
Mr. Purcell. A spokesman for Mr. Pandit said that Mr. Pandit had never
spoken ill of the firm or Mr. Purcell."

well, that's the problem. if he wants purcell out, someone has to give
details publcily. i'm inclined to support pandit, but there's not
enough here in this article. moreover, it must enough to warrant
spitzer's interest otherwise it'll go nowhere.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Space Empires IV at www.ShrapnelGames.com has quite a following. SEV
is in development currently.

You may also want to check out X3 at www.egosoft.com. One of its major
features is strategic empire building.

-The Spankstinator

On 30 Mar 2005 07:01:10 -0800, Papa.Legba.666@gmail.com wrote:

>I generally play 4x, with the odd 1st person shooter for light relief.
>I still return again & again to and Civilization (the first) and
>concentrate on Civ and its derivatives, like Alph Centauri and other
>4x'ers like Master of Orion.
>
>So, what space sims might I like? And what are the generally agreed
>"top 10"?
>
>I am really only interested in turn based games, as sooner or later the
>computer AI will overrun me in real-time games.
>
>I definitely like 4X, with the exploration scoring highly. I enjoy the
>balancing act, but generally go for a land grab at the start, then try
>for peace and concentrate on research until it is annihilation time.
>The battles seem to interest me less.
>
>What can you recommend for me? Thanks in advance...

Well, as far as 4X turn-based space-sims, prolly the best IMO is
Emperor of The Fading Suns,

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=367

"Spankstinator" <kahuna12@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Space Empires IV at www.ShrapnelGames.com has quite a following. SEV
>is in development currently.
>
>You may also want to check out X3 at www.egosoft.com. One of its major
>features is strategic empire building.

The trouble with these indie games is that 2 months after you buy them
the devs release the new version which the 100% hardcore fanbase
immediately moves to.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote in

> What does the demo version of SEIV have in it?

Hmmmm I dont really know. I dont know if there even is a demo. There is
barely a product even. When this printing is sold out, as far as I know
that will be the end of SEIV as a distributed product.

Gandalf Parker

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Gandalf Parker <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote in

> Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote in
>
>> What does the demo version of SEIV have in it?
>
> Hmmmm I dont really know. I dont know if there even is a demo. There is
> barely a product even. When this printing is sold out, as far as I know
> that will be the end of SEIV as a distributed product.

I posted too soon. Found one at the develoeprs home site.
http://www.malfador.com/se4dwngd.html

Gandalf Parker

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Gandalf Parker <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote:
>Gandalf Parker <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote in
>
>> Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote in
>>
>>> What does the demo version of SEIV have in it?
>>
>> Hmmmm I dont really know. I dont know if there even is a demo. There is
>> barely a product even. When this printing is sold out, as far as I know
>> that will be the end of SEIV as a distributed product.
>
>I posted too soon. Found one at the develoeprs home site.
>http://www.malfador.com/se4dwngd.html

4X games tend to bore me. I just started playing Master of Orion 2. Once
you've won using a technologist strategy and an invasion strategy
there's nothing left to do in single player.

Siron

Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote in message news:<10a96190ovm1oqtllgs33pj6qpiu5rm2mh@4ax.com>...

> 4X games tend to bore me. I just started playing Master of Orion 2. Once
> you've won using a technologist strategy and an invasion strategy
> there's nothing left to do in single player.

Well, the AI is weak so SP is surely boring now. But there are still
many players who will be able to kick your butt in MP. Some guys play
almost 9 years online. BTW we play the new dos-patch 1.4. You find the
details here: http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2004_02_01_masteroforion2_archive.html#107792119255475969

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote in

> Gandalf Parker <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote:
>>Gandalf Parker <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote in
>>
>>> Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote in

>>> Hmmmm I dont really know. I dont know if there even is a demo. There
>>> is barely a product even. When this printing is sold out, as far as
>>> I know that will be the end of SEIV as a distributed product.
>>
>>I posted too soon. Found one at the develoeprs home site.
>>http://www.malfador.com/se4dwngd.html
>
> 4X games tend to bore me. I just started playing Master of Orion 2.
> Once you've won using a technologist strategy and an invasion strategy
> there's nothing left to do in single player.

Yes I prefer solo play also. And SEIV would have bored me quickly if it had
stayed as it was delivered. But with the player mods its become one of
those games which has survived for years on my harddrive while a hundred
off-the-shelf games of equal cost have been played for a month then deleted

In case you are curious...
Games in that category:
Stars!
Master of Magic
Dominions 2
Space Empires IV
Diablo II
Ultima Online

Gandalf Parker

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote:
>Gandalf Parker <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote:
>>Gandalf Parker <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote in
>>
>>> Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote in

>>> Hmmmm I dont really know. I dont know if there even is a demo. There is
>>> barely a product even. When this printing is sold out, as far as I know
>>> that will be the end of SEIV as a distributed product.
>>
>>I posted too soon. Found one at the develoeprs home site.
>>http://www.malfador.com/se4dwngd.html
>
>4X games tend to bore me. I just started playing Master of Orion 2. Once
>you've won using a technologist strategy and an invasion strategy
>there's nothing left to do in single player.

The SEIV demo download keeps stopping after a couple of megs.