Sanyo 4920 ringtone disappointment and question

Last response: in Network Providers
June 13, 2004 6:55:51 PM

Hi:

Recently purchased Sanyo 4920's for myself and my wife. We'd
been totally satisfied with our 4900's and I upgraded our plan, so I
took advantage of the $150 rebates.

As far as I can tell, the 4920 is a superb phone. Has every
function of the 4900 in a slightly smaller profile, and with an
improved earpiece.

However, on the 4900 I enjoyed using the "Debussy Arabesque"
ringtone, and my wife liked "Birds". Yes, we know those are the
pussiest ringtones in creation, and you may sue us.

The question is this: I've never been one for phone froufrou.
I don't use Vision or games. I've never cared about anything but
making and receiving calls. Therefore when people have talked about
adding ringtones and whatnot, I've always ignored the information.

What's more, I find the notion of paying for a ringtone that
will expire shortly completely ridiculous.

Now I have the 4920 and the included ringtones are really
paltry. I suppose they did this to encourage you to purchase new ones.
I have a two month trial of Vision, and while that's in effect, I'd
love to get back the tones we used on the 4900's or something else
interesting. I just want to download them via the web, I don't want to
pay for them and I don't want them to expire.

Call me a killjoy, but if I have to do anything more than
download for free and install permanently, I'll live with what the
phone offers. If there's some simple way for me get what I'm after,
without excessive fuss, I'd be extremely grateful to learn about it. I
suppose I should have been paying attention to previous discussions
about this, but they were simply irrelevant at the time.

Thanks very much in advance, DGI
Anonymous
June 13, 2004 11:16:59 PM

In article <b48pc0p98eg3gdp828b6s0neektou7f8fe@4ax.com>,
David G. Imber <imber@maniform.com> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> Recently purchased Sanyo 4920's for myself and my wife. We'd
> been totally satisfied with our 4900's and I upgraded our plan, so I
> took advantage of the $150 rebates.
>
> As far as I can tell, the 4920 is a superb phone. Has every
> function of the 4900 in a slightly smaller profile, and with an
> improved earpiece.
>
> However, on the 4900 I enjoyed using the "Debussy Arabesque"
> ringtone, and my wife liked "Birds". Yes, we know those are the
> pussiest ringtones in creation, and you may sue us.

If one does a google search on

Arabesque.mid

many locations are found where you may find a file suitable for use as a
ringtone.

> The question is this: I've never been one for phone froufrou.
> I don't use Vision or games. I've never cared about anything but
> making and receiving calls. Therefore when people have talked about
> adding ringtones and whatnot, I've always ignored the information.
>
> What's more, I find the notion of paying for a ringtone that
> will expire shortly completely ridiculous.
>
> Now I have the 4920 and the included ringtones are really
> paltry. I suppose they did this to encourage you to purchase new ones.
> I have a two month trial of Vision, and while that's in effect, I'd
> love to get back the tones we used on the 4900's or something else
> interesting. I just want to download them via the web, I don't want to
> pay for them and I don't want them to expire.
>
> Call me a killjoy, but if I have to do anything more than
> download for free and install permanently, I'll live with what the
> phone offers. If there's some simple way for me get what I'm after,
> without excessive fuss, I'd be extremely grateful to learn about it. I
> suppose I should have been paying attention to previous discussions
> about this, but they were simply irrelevant at the time.
>
> Thanks very much in advance, DGI
Anonymous
June 13, 2004 11:17:00 PM

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 19:16:59 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty>
wrote:

>If one does a google search on
>
>Arabesque.mid
>

>many locations are found where you may find a file suitable for use as a
>ringtone.

Thank you very much. However, while I know that there are
billions of suitable midi files in existence, actually getting them
into my phone was the problem. I was under the impression that unless
you possess third party software and a cable, costing somewhere in the
USD $70 range together, AND unless you were versed in the process of
manipulating these files for use as ringers, they were useless as
such.

As these subjects previously held zero interest for me, I
never took the time to learn about them. I can't say I'm terribly
motivated to do a great deal of research even now, but perhaps there's
just no way around it.

Thanks again.
June 13, 2004 11:46:01 PM

"David G. Imber" <imber@maniform.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> Recently purchased Sanyo 4920's for myself and my wife. We'd
> been totally satisfied with our 4900's and I upgraded our plan, so I
> took advantage of the $150 rebates.
>
> As far as I can tell, the 4920 is a superb phone. Has every
> function of the 4900 in a slightly smaller profile, and with an
> improved earpiece.
>
> However, on the 4900 I enjoyed using the "Debussy Arabesque"
> ringtone, and my wife liked "Birds". Yes, we know those are the
> pussiest ringtones in creation, and you may sue us.
>
> The question is this: I've never been one for phone froufrou.
> I don't use Vision or games. I've never cared about anything but
> making and receiving calls. Therefore when people have talked about
> adding ringtones and whatnot, I've always ignored the information.
>
> What's more, I find the notion of paying for a ringtone that
> will expire shortly completely ridiculous.

You have the wrong information here. Once you buy a ringtone from SPCS, it
goes into your Content Manager and you can download it to your phone via the
phone. Once it's in your phone, it's there forever, or until you remove it.
The only thing that expires is the ringer in the Content Manager

> Now I have the 4920 and the included ringtones are really
> paltry. I suppose they did this to encourage you to purchase new ones.
> I have a two month trial of Vision, and while that's in effect, I'd
> love to get back the tones we used on the 4900's or something else
> interesting. I just want to download them via the web, I don't want to
> pay for them and I don't want them to expire.

You can try any of these sites. Some require a small annual fee or a
donation. These sites also offer screensavers as well.

http://www.3gupload.com
http://www.matrixm.com
http://www.xingtones.com
http://www.myphonefiles.com

> Call me a killjoy, but if I have to do anything more than
> download for free and install permanently, I'll live with what the
> phone offers. If there's some simple way for me get what I'm after,
> without excessive fuss, I'd be extremely grateful to learn about it. I
> suppose I should have been paying attention to previous discussions
> about this, but they were simply irrelevant at the time.
>
> Thanks very much in advance, DGI

Bob
Anonymous
June 13, 2004 11:46:02 PM

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 19:46:01 GMT, "Bob Smith"
<usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:

>> What's more, I find the notion of paying for a ringtone that
>> will expire shortly completely ridiculous.
>
>You have the wrong information here. Once you buy a ringtone from SPCS, it
>goes into your Content Manager and you can download it to your phone via the
>phone. Once it's in your phone, it's there forever, or until you remove it.
>The only thing that expires is the ringer in the Content Manager

Thank you very much for that information. Yes, I was under a
misapprehension there. I'd still rather not pay for a new ringtone,
but at least if I may keep it, I don't mind as much.

Is there a FAQ or guide that covers these subjects? Previously
I did not spend any time whatsoever thinking about this, and
consequently haven't got a clue where to begin.

Thanks again.
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 12:22:47 AM

In article <b48pc0p98eg3gdp828b6s0neektou7f8fe@4ax.com>,
imber@maniform.com says...

> What's more, I find the notion of paying for a ringtone that
> will expire shortly completely ridiculous.

The ringtones we sell via Vision don't expire. Only the download
rights expire. After 90 days, if the ringer is still in the phone,
it will continue to work, and is within the licensing terms of the
purchase to continue to use it. If you lose it for whatever reason
beyond 90 days, then you have to repurchase it to download it again.

That's what "expire" means when it comes to ringtones and
screensavers.

--
RØß
O/Siris

> On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 19:46:01 GMT, "Bob Smith"
> <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:
>

> >> What's more, I find the notion of paying for a ringtone that
> >> will expire shortly completely ridiculous.
> >
> >You have the wrong information here. Once you buy a ringtone from SPCS,
it
> >goes into your Content Manager and you can download it to your phone via
the
> >phone. Once it's in your phone, it's there forever, or until you remove
it.
> >The only thing that expires is the ringer in the Content Manager
>
> Thank you very much for that information. Yes, I was under a
> misapprehension there. I'd still rather not pay for a new ringtone,
> but at least if I may keep it, I don't mind as much.
>
> Is there a FAQ or guide that covers these subjects? Previously
> I did not spend any time whatsoever thinking about this, and
> consequently haven't got a clue where to begin.
>
> Thanks again.

Oh, there was a joker who put together a rag tag FAQ, and then posted it on
the newsgroup, in HTML and IIRC 450 to 700K large. If you are going to do a
google search, do a search on file size and the newsgroup -
alt.cellular.sprintpcs .

I'd suggest trying out those links I passed on. Even if you pay $5 or $10
for access, you are going to have unlimited access. 3upload has a ton of
tunes, screensavers and games.

Bob
June 14, 2004 4:19:38 AM

David G. Imber wrote:

> However, on the 4900 I enjoyed using the "Debussy Arabesque"
> ringtone, and my wife liked "Birds". Yes, we know those are the
> pussiest ringtones in creation, and you may sue us.

Visit http://www.sanyo.com/wireless/wallpapers_ringers/index.... and
download the ringers direct from Sanyo. Next, go to
http://www.sprintusers.com/focus and send them to your phone.
There's no "Birds" but you can find "SAINT SAINS SWAN" I don't know my
classical, but it might be the right thing.

Good luck.
-mike
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 4:19:39 AM

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 00:19:38 GMT, Mike <spamtrap@zbuffer.com> wrote:

>David G. Imber wrote:
>
>> However, on the 4900 I enjoyed using the "Debussy Arabesque"
>> ringtone, and my wife liked "Birds". Yes, we know those are the
>> pussiest ringtones in creation, and you may sue us.
>
>Visit http://www.sanyo.com/wireless/wallpapers_ringers/index.... and
>download the ringers direct from Sanyo. Next, go to
>http://www.sprintusers.com/focus and send them to your phone.
>There's no "Birds" but you can find "SAINT SAINS SWAN" I don't know my
>classical, but it might be the right thing.

Thanks a lot for that, Mike! I'd found the Sanyo site, which
had my old Debussy tone on it, but that site requires soft- and
hardware to get it to the handset.

Your second link is new to me and sounds like just the thing.

Thanks very much, DGI
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 4:19:39 AM

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 00:19:38 GMT, Mike <spamtrap@zbuffer.com> wrote:

>David G. Imber wrote:
>
>> However, on the 4900 I enjoyed using the "Debussy Arabesque"
>> ringtone, and my wife liked "Birds". Yes, we know those are the
>> pussiest ringtones in creation, and you may sue us.
>
>Visit http://www.sanyo.com/wireless/wallpapers_ringers/index.... and
>download the ringers direct from Sanyo. Next, go to
>http://www.sprintusers.com/focus and send them to your phone.

Can't thank you enough. It took exactly a minute to get the
ringer onto my phone.

I have another elementary question, if you don't mind (never
used "Vision"). Once my free two months is up, and I drop Vision, as I
presumably will, using sprintusers.com to upload stuff will cost me.

Am I correct that without a Vision plan I pay $5/month for 100
messages, and that I will just automatically be billed accordingly
whenever such messages are delivered to the phone? Or do I have to
arrange that in advance with CS?

Thanks, DGI
June 14, 2004 6:10:17 AM

David G. Imber wrote:
> Can't thank you enough. It took exactly a minute to get the
> ringer onto my phone.
>
> I have another elementary question, if you don't mind (never
> used "Vision"). Once my free two months is up, and I drop Vision, as I
> presumably will, using sprintusers.com to upload stuff will cost me.
>
> Am I correct that without a Vision plan I pay $5/month for 100
> messages, and that I will just automatically be billed accordingly
> whenever such messages are delivered to the phone? Or do I have to
> arrange that in advance with CS?
>
> Thanks, DGI

Your service right now is $15/mo, but you're not paying because you're
on a free trial. The freeness goes away after two months, but the
service does not change. That means that yes, you'll need to make any
plan changes with CS or you'll start being charged for your Vision pack.
-mike
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 6:10:18 AM

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 02:10:17 GMT, Mike <spamtrap@zbuffer.com> wrote:

>Your service right now is $15/mo, but you're not paying because you're
>on a free trial. The freeness goes away after two months, but the
>service does not change. That means that yes, you'll need to make any
>plan changes with CS or you'll start being charged for your Vision pack.
>-mike

I see. I was under the impression that uploading a ringer via
sprintusers.com used only a text message protocol, and I was under the
assumption that one could receive text messages without having a
Vision plan.

DGI
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 6:10:19 AM

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 22:17:36 -0400, David G. Imber
<imber@maniform.com> wrote:

> I see. I was under the impression that uploading a ringer via
>sprintusers.com used only a text message protocol, and I was under the
>assumption that one could receive text messages without having a
>Vision plan.

Bad form for me to answer myself, but I saw my error after
sending. Sprintusers.com uses mail just to send the pointer, but you
must have web capability to direct the phone to the download location.

DGI
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 7:40:05 PM

just use the vision. you get a credit each month (mine is $10) to use to
get ringers IE free

and they ARE permanent !! as long as you do not delete them off the phone.

the 90days is how long you have to REDOWNLOAD without charge from the vision
network.

after that it is removed from your download que but DOES REMAIN on your
phone for as long as you leave it there etc..

otherwise use www.3gupload.com

Chris Taylor
http://www.zodiacreview.com/

"David G. Imber" <imber@maniform.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> Recently purchased Sanyo 4920's for myself and my wife. We'd
> been totally satisfied with our 4900's and I upgraded our plan, so I
> took advantage of the $150 rebates.
>
> As far as I can tell, the 4920 is a superb phone. Has every
> function of the 4900 in a slightly smaller profile, and with an
> improved earpiece.
>
> However, on the 4900 I enjoyed using the "Debussy Arabesque"
> ringtone, and my wife liked "Birds". Yes, we know those are the
> pussiest ringtones in creation, and you may sue us.
>
> The question is this: I've never been one for phone froufrou.
> I don't use Vision or games. I've never cared about anything but
> making and receiving calls. Therefore when people have talked about
> adding ringtones and whatnot, I've always ignored the information.
>
> What's more, I find the notion of paying for a ringtone that
> will expire shortly completely ridiculous.
>
> Now I have the 4920 and the included ringtones are really
> paltry. I suppose they did this to encourage you to purchase new ones.
> I have a two month trial of Vision, and while that's in effect, I'd
> love to get back the tones we used on the 4900's or something else
> interesting. I just want to download them via the web, I don't want to
> pay for them and I don't want them to expire.
>
> Call me a killjoy, but if I have to do anything more than
> download for free and install permanently, I'll live with what the
> phone offers. If there's some simple way for me get what I'm after,
> without excessive fuss, I'd be extremely grateful to learn about it. I
> suppose I should have been paying attention to previous discussions
> about this, but they were simply irrelevant at the time.
>
> Thanks very much in advance, DGI

Anonymous
June 16, 2004 7:44:50 PM

you do not need a vision plan. you will just be charged ??? IIRC 1cent a
kilobyte.

if you are ONLY going to nab a ringer or 2 here and there then drop the
vision otherwise that penny a k adds up REALLY fast.

think about it. a 100k wcp voice ringer would cost you $1 to download.

Chris Taylor
http://www.zodiacreview.com/

> On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 22:17:36 -0400, David G. Imber
> <imber@maniform.com> wrote:
>

> > I see. I was under the impression that uploading a ringer via
> >sprintusers.com used only a text message protocol, and I was under the
> >assumption that one could receive text messages without having a
> >Vision plan.
>
> Bad form for me to answer myself, but I saw my error after
> sending. Sprintusers.com uses mail just to send the pointer, but you
> must have web capability to direct the phone to the download location.
>
> DGI
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 6:08:08 AM

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 15:40:05 -0400, "Chris Taylor Jr"
<nospam@nerys.com> wrote:

>otherwise use www.3gupload.com

Thanks. I used this, plus Anvil Studio (freeware) to make my
own ringers, and I'm doing pretty well.

DGI
!