Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Eve Online - Natural aversion warrented?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 9:44:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

I'm starved for a good space sim.

And Eve does look good... but ever since UO no online game has attracted me
enough to want to play it.

For all the space sim lovers who play Eve Online. Is it worth your money?
Are you having doubts? I know its slow, which is fine, thats the way space
is supposed to be. But is the community mature and likely to be long
lasting?

And are there any Australian players? Whats the lag like?

Thanks in advance.
Ceo-
April 18, 2005 9:44:43 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

EVE is a very slow-start, slow-build game.

You can get into some action within a few weeks (yes, weeks!) of starting
your first character, but be prepared to lose everything at any time and
have to pretty much start over.

I played two accounts for about a year or so, and although it offered up
some challenges and was fun in some ways, there were three things that left
a lot to be desired:

1) Too easy to suffer a large setback
2) Too much grind at the skill/money treadmills
3) Devs arbitrarily altering significant game parameters on a whim,
completely ruining carefully crafted ship configurations and strategies.

It was the third item that made me finally cancel both subscriptions and, to
put it bluntly, tell the developers to go shove their game where the sun
doesn't shine (among other less printable phrases in carefully studied
Icelandic, the devs being from Iceland).

PB

"Ceowulf" <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet> wrote in message
news:4263818c$0$382$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
> I'm starved for a good space sim.
>
> And Eve does look good... but ever since UO no online game has attracted
> me enough to want to play it.
>
> For all the space sim lovers who play Eve Online. Is it worth your money?
> Are you having doubts? I know its slow, which is fine, thats the way space
> is supposed to be. But is the community mature and likely to be long
> lasting?
>
> And are there any Australian players? Whats the lag like?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Ceo-
>
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 11:59:47 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

In message <4263818c$0$382$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>,
Ceowulf <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet> writes
>I'm starved for a good space sim.
>
>And Eve does look good... but ever since UO no online game has attracted me
>enough to want to play it.
>
>For all the space sim lovers who play Eve Online. Is it worth your money?
>Are you having doubts? I know its slow, which is fine, thats the way space
>is supposed to be. But is the community mature and likely to be long
>lasting?
>
>And are there any Australian players? Whats the lag like?
>
I've only being playing for a month, but I am still enjoying it - yes,
it is slow, as many people have said, but that makes a change from other
games, and it means it is a good game for when you want to multi-task. I
spent all last evening earning the money for a destroyer by shuttling
antibiotics across the Nein solar system. But I also cooked and ate
dinner, fixed the washing machine and serviced my daughter's bicycle, as
well as doing my email and newsgroup traffic. Maybe it doesn't wear out
as quickly, because it is slow, so it takes longer to get bored.
I bought the destroyer in the end, but I made a mistake and I am short
one skill which I need to fly it - so now I am shuttling round in my old
Slasher trying to turn my few remaining ISK into enough cash to buy that
skill. Or I could go to wherever I left my mining laser and start
melting asteroids again.
Of course all this is effectively in single-player mode - there are
usually between 5000 and 9000 people on-line, and I have never observed
any bad behaviour. There are lots of ways of interacting with others,
apart from simple chat - you can form gangs to fight together, or more
complicated organisations called corporations which allow you to set up
in business.
As for lag, I'm in the UK so I can't comment on how it will be in
Australia - but I play down a 28k modem line, and I have no problems.
--
John Secker
Related resources
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 9:16:36 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Ceowulf wrote:
> But is the community mature and likely to be long
> lasting?
>
> And are there any Australian players? Whats the lag like?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Ceo-

1) They're about as mature as you'd expect, and since you're asking on
USENET i doubt you expect much. There's a tonne of folks playing every
night, but you rarely do any "flyby"s and other folks are either icons
in chat, or little dots on screen...Sure you'll see more activity at
jumpgates, but then again you see that at intersections IRL too. The
implication being you'll find friends far and few between, but they are
there...somewhere. There are hardly any group activities to do that
don't involve mining or pvp, so the reasons for joining a
guild/corp/clan are limited.

2) As for the developers. well, they're the usual kind. Meaning they
have no real clue about what their players are like beyond credit card
account demographics. It's amazing to look at the official gaming
resources and realize they have no idea the most POPULAR careers are,
judging from what is displayed. (there's mining/trading, agent running,
NPC 'rat hunting, and the "jack-of-all-trades")...The point is you'll
find yourself lost in a plethoria of choices from the get-go with no
real...uhm..."gist"...of where to go or, for that matter, where you're
coming from. Which is fine and dandy, from a philosophical stance, but
you're forced to make basic choices critical to your gaming enjoyment
on a learning curve so steep and long most people just simply quit
playing the trial version within 6 hours.
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 2:00:22 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

"MajorFreak" <majorfreak@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1113999396.109672.149220@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

> 1) They're about as mature as you'd expect, and since you're asking on
> USENET i doubt you expect much.

Thankyou to all 3 gents for replying, I've decided to give Eve a miss and
just wait for X3 and maybe oneday, E4 :) 

As for the above comment, I actually tend to tune out the less mature
aspects, as a result USENET contains many intelligent, and mature people as
far as im concerned :) 

Ceo-
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 8:25:21 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:44:42 +0200, Ceowulf <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet> wrote:

> For all the space sim lovers who play Eve Online. Is it worth your money?

Definately yes. I've played the game for 2 years now (since beta) and I'm
in a very small, but skilled, mercenary corporation. So as you might have
guessed, PvP is what drives my wagon in EVE.

Some had misgivings about what the devs are doing, but that is called
"balancing". They balance the ships and the gear, and that is probably
more noticable for PvP players than others. However, most of these
changes are required, otherwise any one ship could just have a WIN button
installed if no balance were in the game. The result is that ships are
much more specialized now than they used to be a year or two ago.

But since the economy in eve is player-driven, there is also endless
possibilities for earning a buck in a number of careers, and you don't
need to mine or do borings tasks at all if you don't want to.

--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 6:51:33 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

"Petter Nilsen" <pettern-spam-me-here@thule.no> writes:
>On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:44:42 +0200, Ceowulf <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet> wrote:
>> For all the space sim lovers who play Eve Online. Is it worth your money?

>Definately yes. I've played the game for 2 years now (since beta) and I'm
>in a very small, but skilled, mercenary corporation. So as you might have
>guessed, PvP is what drives my wagon in EVE.

>Some had misgivings about what the devs are doing, but that is called
>"balancing". They balance the ships and the gear, and that is probably
>more noticable for PvP players than others. However, most of these
>changes are required, otherwise any one ship could just have a WIN button
>installed if no balance were in the game. The result is that ships are
>much more specialized now than they used to be a year or two ago.

>But since the economy in eve is player-driven, there is also endless
>possibilities for earning a buck in a number of careers, and you don't
>need to mine or do borings tasks at all if you don't want to.

I've found the war system to be rather broken at this point though --
there's a lot of people using it purely as a way to be able to attack
people in empire space with impunity against tiny corps that can't
fight back. Kinda lame, especially since people who do this don't need
to have any sort of supply line or anything to keep it up, because they
can use alts to do whatever they need.

--
Chas Blackwell <Black Isis> CITES Systems Management Group
<cblkwell@uiuc.edu>
I don't even know what CITES stands
for, so I don't speak for them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"As we were forged we shall return, perhaps some day. | VNV Nation,
I will remember you and wonder who we were." | "Further"
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 11:15:13 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

aye, keep an eye out for positive replies. I myself am not playing
merely for financial reasons (yes, $20/month is that tight on the
budget) right now...I'm waiting for the developers to code in Mega-huge
ships, plus their insistence on removing the "highways" throughout the
universe. I look forward to playing the game, once they stop this
current spat of patching, though i constantly keep an eye out for
informative posts which i copy/paste to my FAQ forum.
http://umec.oesm.org/phpBB


As for a way to just pop into a game for an hour or three during the
week and feel like your efforts have some longterm continuity, that at
least has the potential to be shared with other players, then MMOGs are
great fun. I myself prefer the "warhammer 40k" theme of dystopic future
roleplaying, in space, and even created a corporation based loosely on
that and an NPC corporation that had similarities.
http://umec.oesm.org/Ecclesiarchy/splash.html
The nice thing is, i can come back to the game in half a year and bring
it back from the dead. Besides, playing a MMOG is all about community.
(but my previous post commented on that theme)
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 6:21:15 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

In message <1114870513.159324.123010@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
MajorFreak <majorfreak@gmail.com> writes
>aye, keep an eye out for positive replies. I myself am not playing
>merely for financial reasons (yes, $20/month is that tight on the
>budget) right now...I'm waiting for the developers to code in Mega-huge
>ships, plus their insistence on removing the "highways" throughout the
>universe. I look forward to playing the game, once they stop this
>current spat of patching, though i constantly keep an eye out for
>informative posts which i copy/paste to my FAQ forum.
>http://umec.oesm.org/phpBB
>
>
Fantastic resource - I could spend weeks just reading it all.
--
John Secker
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 2:12:04 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:51:33 +0200, Chastity Blackwell
<cblkwell@tower.cso.uiuc.edu> wrote:

> I've found the war system to be rather broken at this point though --
> there's a lot of people using it purely as a way to be able to attack
> people in empire space with impunity against tiny corps that can't
> fight back. Kinda lame, especially since people who do this don't need
> to have any sort of supply line or anything to keep it up, because they
> can use alts to do whatever they need.

Possibly. I must admit my own corporation is one of those attacking
others, but we get paid for the contracts and we generally go after
alliances only. It's a profession as any other in the game, and I love the
fact that you are able to pick such widely different professions and have
fun doing what you like. And corporations who gets attacked can also use
alts, so that's not special for any profession. But yes, there are a lot
of wars going on and I can understand that people who do not want PvP
might dislike this. But even those corporations have options... They can
fight back in cheapish ships can they can afford to lose or they can hire
mercs to fight for them.

--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 2:15:31 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

"MajorFreak" <majorfreak@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1114870513.159324.123010@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> aye, keep an eye out for positive replies. I myself am not playing
> merely for financial reasons (yes, $20/month is that tight on the
> budget) right now...I'm waiting for the developers to code in Mega-huge
> ships, plus their insistence on removing the "highways" throughout the
> universe. I look forward to playing the game, once they stop this
> current spat of patching, though i constantly keep an eye out for
> informative posts which i copy/paste to my FAQ forum.
> http://umec.oesm.org/phpBB
>
>
> As for a way to just pop into a game for an hour or three during the
> week and feel like your efforts have some longterm continuity, that at
> least has the potential to be shared with other players, then MMOGs are
> great fun. I myself prefer the "warhammer 40k" theme of dystopic future
> roleplaying, in space, and even created a corporation based loosely on
> that and an NPC corporation that had similarities.
> http://umec.oesm.org/Ecclesiarchy/splash.html
> The nice thing is, i can come back to the game in half a year and bring
> it back from the dead. Besides, playing a MMOG is all about community.
> (but my previous post commented on that theme)
>


Are the ships flown with a joystick/throttle combo or can they be flown with
mouse and keyboard?
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 1:12:27 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Eve-online does not support joystick use. It is, like the previous
poster stated, a "point&click" game where you cannot control your
ship's movement. You have more control over how and when you attack,
but it's all mouse controlled.

Jumpgate, on the other hand, is the opposite.
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 1:14:35 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

thanks you, john. hopefully they won't nerf the FAQ database into
obsolescence sooner than later.
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 6:03:46 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

"Petter Nilsen" <pettern-spam-me-here@thule.no> writes:
>On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:51:33 +0200, Chastity Blackwell
><cblkwell@tower.cso.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>> I've found the war system to be rather broken at this point though --
>> there's a lot of people using it purely as a way to be able to attack
>> people in empire space with impunity against tiny corps that can't
>> fight back. Kinda lame, especially since people who do this don't need
>> to have any sort of supply line or anything to keep it up, because they
>> can use alts to do whatever they need.

>Possibly. I must admit my own corporation is one of those attacking
>others, but we get paid for the contracts and we generally go after
>alliances only. It's a profession as any other in the game, and I love the
>fact that you are able to pick such widely different professions and have
>fun doing what you like. And corporations who gets attacked can also use
>alts, so that's not special for any profession. But yes, there are a lot
>of wars going on and I can understand that people who do not want PvP
>might dislike this. But even those corporations have options... They can
>fight back in cheapish ships can they can afford to lose or they can hire
>mercs to fight for them.

Well, the problem is a) I don't want to use alts and b) I don't mind
fighting as long as I have a chance, but right now combat is structured
in such a way so that if you haven't geared your character totally for
combat, you're going to be at a such a disadvantage to people who have
that you might as well not fight, since even superior numbers will not
help you. I am a trader/miner/industrialist, and while I can hold my
own in a fight against NPCs in 0.5+ sec rated sectors, I know I can't
win against someone who has been training and practicing combat for
months. I'm not upset about that -- but I'm in a small corp with just
a few friends -- the 5 of us have a hard enough time being online at
once, let alone being able to fight off 3 combat-focused players with
better ships and skills than we could ever hope to have at this point.

Understand that I don't have a problem with wars per se, but when there's
no way to really win (because paying 250 million a week to hire
mercenaries to blow up 3 morons repeatedly just so we can mine base
minerals is not an option, really), they are pretty pointless.

--
Chas Blackwell <Black Isis> CITES Systems Management Group
<cblkwell@uiuc.edu>
I don't even know what CITES stands
for, so I don't speak for them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"As we were forged we shall return, perhaps some day. | VNV Nation,
I will remember you and wonder who we were." | "Further"
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 6:12:15 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

> Are the ships flown with a joystick/throttle combo or can they be flown
> with
> mouse and keyboard?

I'ts not a simulator, its a "point and click interface"
Objects to travel to and from is found on your HUD, or nav menu. There is
also a starmap to plot course, set autopilot etc.

In combat you click on the HUD to decide what direction your ship will go,
or you click on target to select approach, orbit, keep range etc.

How combat acts out deppends on how you fitted your ship, and how your
opponents ship are fitted.
PVP and PVE combat is very different though.

EVE opens up more and more for you as a player as you progress and learn new
skills, up the levels of your skills and develop your character. Its not a
game where you can spend x amount of hours bash x amount of mobs to get your
x levels. NPC's in EVE gives you isk (ingame currency) and loot. Loot most
of the time is basic/standard modules, but sometimes you get some pirate
faction loot which can be nice.
All loot can be broken down to minerals, which you can either build things
for or sell. Recycle skills are needed to limit waste though.
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 11:04:46 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

> Well, the problem is a) I don't want to use alts and b) I don't mind
> fighting as long as I have a chance, but right now combat is structured
> in such a way so that if you haven't geared your character totally for
> combat, you're going to be at a such a disadvantage to people who have
> that you might as well not fight, since even superior numbers will not
> help you. I am a trader/miner/industrialist, and while I can hold my
> own in a fight against NPCs in 0.5+ sec rated sectors, I know I can't
> win against someone who has been training and practicing combat for
> months. I'm not upset about that -- but I'm in a small corp with just
> a few friends -- the 5 of us have a hard enough time being online at
> once, let alone being able to fight off 3 combat-focused players with
> better ships and skills than we could ever hope to have at this point.

> Understand that I don't have a problem with wars per se, but when there's
> no way to really win (because paying 250 million a week to hire
> mercenaries to blow up 3 morons repeatedly just so we can mine base
> minerals is not an option, really), they are pretty pointless.

There is many systems in EVE which is so called "dead end's", and got a
empire high sec choke point. Which make them not very intereting for
pvp'ers. Can mine the mid level ore in peace in such systems, if mining is
your thing. Or you can hunt for a bit harder NPC's without have some dude
come along and interfer by blow you up ;-)

There is no big deal fight someone superior to you in weapons, ships and
skills as long as you know his ship type. Its nothing better than to
humiliate some big mofo pvp'er by slap him with EW and disable his guns
making him not able to lock you. Then run in circles around him and do pot
shoots with a pea shooter. Of course he tank your damage most likely, but
fun still.

So does your Corp have 3 people hassle you then? And if you are just 5
people even friends, I suggest you try join a new bigger corp all together.
More people to interact with, the more fun. Also join a corp which got more
people from the same time zone as your own.
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 10:37:31 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Erland Andreassen wrote:
> So does your Corp have 3 people hassle you then? And if you are just
5
> people even friends, I suggest you try join a new bigger corp all
together.
> More people to interact with, the more fun. Also join a corp which
got more
> people from the same time zone as your own.

that's another thing: there's no index of corporations and active
members. disregarding the immature reply about "exploits and griefing"
i'd like to point out the simple fact that there is no ability to find
out anything about prospective corporations that doesn't involve trying
to sort through the massive spam recruiting campaigns of
over-caffeinated teenagers.
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 8:59:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

> that's another thing: there's no index of corporations and active
> members. disregarding the immature reply about "exploits and griefing"
> i'd like to point out the simple fact that there is no ability to find
> out anything about prospective corporations that doesn't involve trying
> to sort through the massive spam recruiting campaigns of
> over-caffeinated teenagers.

Well, it's not easy to find the right Corp, the ingame recruitment channel
is perhaps not the right place to look. The eve-online forum is a better
medium to search through.

Also get to know other players and through them their Corps is another, but
slower.
One of the bigger problems for new players is that the Corps's they got the
best chance to join is also the ones not that good.

Like new players tend to band together with other new players, but end up
have very few older players to draw experience and advice from. And these
type of corps's usally end up mining, and more mining and then some more
mining, and a bit more mining.. You get the drift?

The more established Corps's isn't alwasy interested in the new players
because their lack of skills and experience can become a liability for their
Corp (deppending on type), and the Corps's that is into alliances and
politics of sorts often don't trust new players who don't have anyone
already in the Corp to vouch for them. Spies, possible corp thiefs etc, not
someone want into their Corp.

mail me your eve nick and I might be able to help you if you are interested
though.
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 7:30:08 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

thanks, i'm going to put that quote in my corp FAQ
!