Eve Online - Natural aversion warrented?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

I'm starved for a good space sim.

And Eve does look good... but ever since UO no online game has attracted me
enough to want to play it.

For all the space sim lovers who play Eve Online. Is it worth your money?
Are you having doubts? I know its slow, which is fine, thats the way space
is supposed to be. But is the community mature and likely to be long
lasting?

And are there any Australian players? Whats the lag like?

Thanks in advance.
Ceo-
18 answers Last reply
More about online natural aversion warrented
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    EVE is a very slow-start, slow-build game.

    You can get into some action within a few weeks (yes, weeks!) of starting
    your first character, but be prepared to lose everything at any time and
    have to pretty much start over.

    I played two accounts for about a year or so, and although it offered up
    some challenges and was fun in some ways, there were three things that left
    a lot to be desired:

    1) Too easy to suffer a large setback
    2) Too much grind at the skill/money treadmills
    3) Devs arbitrarily altering significant game parameters on a whim,
    completely ruining carefully crafted ship configurations and strategies.

    It was the third item that made me finally cancel both subscriptions and, to
    put it bluntly, tell the developers to go shove their game where the sun
    doesn't shine (among other less printable phrases in carefully studied
    Icelandic, the devs being from Iceland).

    PB

    "Ceowulf" <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet> wrote in message
    > I'm starved for a good space sim.
    >
    > And Eve does look good... but ever since UO no online game has attracted
    > me enough to want to play it.
    >
    > For all the space sim lovers who play Eve Online. Is it worth your money?
    > Are you having doubts? I know its slow, which is fine, thats the way space
    > is supposed to be. But is the community mature and likely to be long
    > lasting?
    >
    > And are there any Australian players? Whats the lag like?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Ceo-

  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    In message <4263818c$0$382$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>,
    Ceowulf <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet> writes
    >I'm starved for a good space sim.
    >
    >And Eve does look good... but ever since UO no online game has attracted me
    >enough to want to play it.
    >
    >For all the space sim lovers who play Eve Online. Is it worth your money?
    >Are you having doubts? I know its slow, which is fine, thats the way space
    >is supposed to be. But is the community mature and likely to be long
    >lasting?
    >
    >And are there any Australian players? Whats the lag like?

    I've only being playing for a month, but I am still enjoying it - yes,
    it is slow, as many people have said, but that makes a change from other
    games, and it means it is a good game for when you want to multi-task. I
    spent all last evening earning the money for a destroyer by shuttling
    antibiotics across the Nein solar system. But I also cooked and ate
    dinner, fixed the washing machine and serviced my daughter's bicycle, as
    well as doing my email and newsgroup traffic. Maybe it doesn't wear out
    as quickly, because it is slow, so it takes longer to get bored.
    I bought the destroyer in the end, but I made a mistake and I am short
    one skill which I need to fly it - so now I am shuttling round in my old
    Slasher trying to turn my few remaining ISK into enough cash to buy that
    skill. Or I could go to wherever I left my mining laser and start
    melting asteroids again.
    Of course all this is effectively in single-player mode - there are
    usually between 5000 and 9000 people on-line, and I have never observed
    any bad behaviour. There are lots of ways of interacting with others,
    apart from simple chat - you can form gangs to fight together, or more
    complicated organisations called corporations which allow you to set up
    in business.
    As for lag, I'm in the UK so I can't comment on how it will be in
    Australia - but I play down a 28k modem line, and I have no problems.
    --
    John Secker
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    Ceowulf wrote:
    > But is the community mature and likely to be long
    > lasting?
    >
    > And are there any Australian players? Whats the lag like?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Ceo-

    1) They're about as mature as you'd expect, and since you're asking on
    USENET i doubt you expect much. There's a tonne of folks playing every
    night, but you rarely do any "flyby"s and other folks are either icons
    in chat, or little dots on screen...Sure you'll see more activity at
    jumpgates, but then again you see that at intersections IRL too. The
    implication being you'll find friends far and few between, but they are
    there...somewhere. There are hardly any group activities to do that
    don't involve mining or pvp, so the reasons for joining a
    guild/corp/clan are limited.

    2) As for the developers. well, they're the usual kind. Meaning they
    have no real clue about what their players are like beyond credit card
    account demographics. It's amazing to look at the official gaming
    resources and realize they have no idea the most POPULAR careers are,
    judging from what is displayed. (there's mining/trading, agent running,
    NPC 'rat hunting, and the "jack-of-all-trades")...The point is you'll
    find yourself lost in a plethoria of choices from the get-go with no
    real...uhm..."gist"...of where to go or, for that matter, where you're
    coming from. Which is fine and dandy, from a philosophical stance, but
    you're forced to make basic choices critical to your gaming enjoyment
    on a learning curve so steep and long most people just simply quit
    playing the trial version within 6 hours.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    "MajorFreak" <majorfreak@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > 1) They're about as mature as you'd expect, and since you're asking on
    > USENET i doubt you expect much.

    Thankyou to all 3 gents for replying, I've decided to give Eve a miss and
    just wait for X3 and maybe oneday, E4 :)

    As for the above comment, I actually tend to tune out the less mature
    aspects, as a result USENET contains many intelligent, and mature people as
    far as im concerned :)

    Ceo-
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:44:42 +0200, Ceowulf <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet> wrote:

    > For all the space sim lovers who play Eve Online. Is it worth your money?

    Definately yes. I've played the game for 2 years now (since beta) and I'm
    in a very small, but skilled, mercenary corporation. So as you might have
    guessed, PvP is what drives my wagon in EVE.

    Some had misgivings about what the devs are doing, but that is called
    "balancing". They balance the ships and the gear, and that is probably
    more noticable for PvP players than others. However, most of these
    changes are required, otherwise any one ship could just have a WIN button
    installed if no balance were in the game. The result is that ships are
    much more specialized now than they used to be a year or two ago.

    But since the economy in eve is player-driven, there is also endless
    possibilities for earning a buck in a number of careers, and you don't
    need to mine or do borings tasks at all if you don't want to.

  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    "Petter Nilsen" <pettern-spam-me-here@thule.no> writes:
    >On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:44:42 +0200, Ceowulf <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet> wrote:
    >> For all the space sim lovers who play Eve Online. Is it worth your money?

    >Definately yes. I've played the game for 2 years now (since beta) and I'm
    >in a very small, but skilled, mercenary corporation. So as you might have
    >guessed, PvP is what drives my wagon in EVE.

    >Some had misgivings about what the devs are doing, but that is called
    >"balancing". They balance the ships and the gear, and that is probably
    >more noticable for PvP players than others. However, most of these
    >changes are required, otherwise any one ship could just have a WIN button
    >installed if no balance were in the game. The result is that ships are
    >much more specialized now than they used to be a year or two ago.

    >But since the economy in eve is player-driven, there is also endless
    >possibilities for earning a buck in a number of careers, and you don't
    >need to mine or do borings tasks at all if you don't want to.

    I've found the war system to be rather broken at this point though --
    there's a lot of people using it purely as a way to be able to attack
    people in empire space with impunity against tiny corps that can't
    fight back. Kinda lame, especially since people who do this don't need
    to have any sort of supply line or anything to keep it up, because they
    can use alts to do whatever they need.

    --
    Chas Blackwell <Black Isis> CITES Systems Management Group
    <cblkwell@uiuc.edu>

    aye, keep an eye out for positive replies. I myself am not playing
    merely for financial reasons (yes, $20/month is that tight on the
    budget) right now...I'm waiting for the developers to code in Mega-huge
    ships, plus their insistence on removing the "highways" throughout the
    universe. I look forward to playing the game, once they stop this
    current spat of patching, though i constantly keep an eye out for
    informative posts which i copy/paste to my FAQ forum.
    http://umec.oesm.org/phpBB

    As for a way to just pop into a game for an hour or three during the
    week and feel like your efforts have some longterm continuity, that at
    least has the potential to be shared with other players, then MMOGs are
    great fun. I myself prefer the "warhammer 40k" theme of dystopic future
    roleplaying, in space, and even created a corporation based loosely on
    that and an NPC corporation that had similarities.
    http://umec.oesm.org/Ecclesiarchy/splash.html
    The nice thing is, i can come back to the game in half a year and bring
    it back from the dead. Besides, playing a MMOG is all about community.
    (but my previous post commented on that theme)
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    In message <1114870513.159324.123010@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    MajorFreak <majorfreak@gmail.com> writes
    >aye, keep an eye out for positive replies. I myself am not playing
    >merely for financial reasons (yes, $20/month is that tight on the
    >budget) right now...I'm waiting for the developers to code in Mega-huge
    >ships, plus their insistence on removing the "highways" throughout the
    >universe. I look forward to playing the game, once they stop this
    >current spat of patching, though i constantly keep an eye out for
    >informative posts which i copy/paste to my FAQ forum.
    >http://umec.oesm.org/phpBB

    Fantastic resource - I could spend weeks just reading it all.
    --
    John Secker
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:51:33 +0200, Chastity Blackwell
    <cblkwell@tower.cso.uiuc.edu> wrote:

    > I've found the war system to be rather broken at this point though --
    > there's a lot of people using it purely as a way to be able to attack
    > people in empire space with impunity against tiny corps that can't
    > fight back. Kinda lame, especially since people who do this don't need
    > to have any sort of supply line or anything to keep it up, because they
    > can use alts to do whatever they need.

    Possibly. I must admit my own corporation is one of those attacking
    others, but we get paid for the contracts and we generally go after
    alliances only. It's a profession as any other in the game, and I love the
    fact that you are able to pick such widely different professions and have
    fun doing what you like. And corporations who gets attacked can also use
    alts, so that's not special for any profession. But yes, there are a lot
    of wars going on and I can understand that people who do not want PvP
    might dislike this. But even those corporations have options... They can
    fight back in cheapish ships can they can afford to lose or they can hire
    mercs to fight for them.

  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    > aye, keep an eye out for positive replies. I myself am not playing
    > merely for financial reasons (yes, $20/month is that tight on the
    > budget) right now...I'm waiting for the developers to code in Mega-huge
    > ships, plus their insistence on removing the "highways" throughout the
    > universe. I look forward to playing the game, once they stop this
    > current spat of patching, though i constantly keep an eye out for
    > informative posts which i copy/paste to my FAQ forum.
    > http://umec.oesm.org/phpBB
    >

    > As for a way to just pop into a game for an hour or three during the
    > week and feel like your efforts have some longterm continuity, that at
    > least has the potential to be shared with other players, then MMOGs are
    > great fun. I myself prefer the "warhammer 40k" theme of dystopic future
    > roleplaying, in space, and even created a corporation based loosely on
    > that and an NPC corporation that had similarities.
    > http://umec.oesm.org/Ecclesiarchy/splash.html
    > The nice thing is, i can come back to the game in half a year and bring
    > it back from the dead. Besides, playing a MMOG is all about community.
    > (but my previous post commented on that theme)

    Are the ships flown with a joystick/throttle combo or can they be flown with
    mouse and keyboard?
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    Eve-online does not support joystick use. It is, like the previous
    poster stated, a "point&click" game where you cannot control your
    ship's movement. You have more control over how and when you attack,
    but it's all mouse controlled.

    Jumpgate, on the other hand, is the opposite.
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    thanks you, john. hopefully they won't nerf the FAQ database into
    obsolescence sooner than later.
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    "Petter Nilsen" <pettern-spam-me-here@thule.no> writes:
    >On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:51:33 +0200, Chastity Blackwell
    ><cblkwell@tower.cso.uiuc.edu> wrote:
    >> I've found the war system to be rather broken at this point though --
    >> there's a lot of people using it purely as a way to be able to attack
    >> people in empire space with impunity against tiny corps that can't
    >> fight back. Kinda lame, especially since people who do this don't need
    >> to have any sort of supply line or anything to keep it up, because they
    >> can use alts to do whatever they need.

    >Possibly. I must admit my own corporation is one of those attacking
    >others, but we get paid for the contracts and we generally go after
    >alliances only. It's a profession as any other in the game, and I love the
    >fact that you are able to pick such widely different professions and have
    >fun doing what you like. And corporations who gets attacked can also use
    >alts, so that's not special for any profession. But yes, there are a lot
    >of wars going on and I can understand that people who do not want PvP
    >might dislike this. But even those corporations have options... They can
    >fight back in cheapish ships can they can afford to lose or they can hire
    >mercs to fight for them.

    Well, the problem is a) I don't want to use alts and b) I don't mind
    fighting as long as I have a chance, but right now combat is structured
    in such a way so that if you haven't geared your character totally for
    combat, you're going to be at a such a disadvantage to people who have
    that you might as well not fight, since even superior numbers will not
    help you. I am a trader/miner/industrialist, and while I can hold my
    own in a fight against NPCs in 0.5+ sec rated sectors, I know I can't
    win against someone who has been training and practicing combat for
    months. I'm not upset about that -- but I'm in a small corp with just
    a few friends -- the 5 of us have a hard enough time being online at
    once, let alone being able to fight off 3 combat-focused players with
    better ships and skills than we could ever hope to have at this point.

    Understand that I don't have a problem with wars per se, but when there's
    no way to really win (because paying 250 million a week to hire
    mercenaries to blow up 3 morons repeatedly just so we can mine base
    minerals is not an option, really), they are pretty pointless.

    --
    Chas Blackwell <Black Isis> CITES Systems Management Group
    <cblkwell@uiuc.edu>
    I don't even know what CITES stands
    for, so I don't speak for them.
    "As we were forged we shall return, perhaps some day. | VNV Nation,
    I will remember you and wonder who we were." | "Further"
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    > Are the ships flown with a joystick/throttle combo or can they be flown
    > with
    > mouse and keyboard?

    I'ts not a simulator, its a "point and click interface"
    Objects to travel to and from is found on your HUD, or nav menu. There is
    also a starmap to plot course, set autopilot etc.

    In combat you click on the HUD to decide what direction your ship will go,
    or you click on target to select approach, orbit, keep range etc.

    How combat acts out deppends on how you fitted your ship, and how your
    opponents ship are fitted.
    PVP and PVE combat is very different though.

    EVE opens up more and more for you as a player as you progress and learn new
    skills, up the levels of your skills and develop your character. Its not a
    game where you can spend x amount of hours bash x amount of mobs to get your
    x levels. NPC's in EVE gives you isk (ingame currency) and loot. Loot most
    of the time is basic/standard modules, but sometimes you get some pirate
    faction loot which can be nice.
    All loot can be broken down to minerals, which you can either build things
    for or sell. Recycle skills are needed to limit waste though.
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    > Well, the problem is a) I don't want to use alts and b) I don't mind
    > fighting as long as I have a chance, but right now combat is structured
    > in such a way so that if you haven't geared your character totally for
    > combat, you're going to be at a such a disadvantage to people who have
    > that you might as well not fight, since even superior numbers will not
    > help you. I am a trader/miner/industrialist, and while I can hold my
    > own in a fight against NPCs in 0.5+ sec rated sectors, I know I can't
    > win against someone who has been training and practicing combat for
    > months. I'm not upset about that -- but I'm in a small corp with just
    > a few friends -- the 5 of us have a hard enough time being online at
    > once, let alone being able to fight off 3 combat-focused players with
    > better ships and skills than we could ever hope to have at this point.

    > Understand that I don't have a problem with wars per se, but when there's
    > no way to really win (because paying 250 million a week to hire
    > mercenaries to blow up 3 morons repeatedly just so we can mine base
    > minerals is not an option, really), they are pretty pointless.

    There is many systems in EVE which is so called "dead end's", and got a
    empire high sec choke point. Which make them not very intereting for
    pvp'ers. Can mine the mid level ore in peace in such systems, if mining is
    your thing. Or you can hunt for a bit harder NPC's without have some dude
    come along and interfer by blow you up ;-)

    There is no big deal fight someone superior to you in weapons, ships and
    skills as long as you know his ship type. Its nothing better than to
    humiliate some big mofo pvp'er by slap him with EW and disable his guns
    making him not able to lock you. Then run in circles around him and do pot
    shoots with a pea shooter. Of course he tank your damage most likely, but
    fun still.

    So does your Corp have 3 people hassle you then? And if you are just 5
    people even friends, I suggest you try join a new bigger corp all together.
    More people to interact with, the more fun. Also join a corp which got more
    people from the same time zone as your own.
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    Erland Andreassen wrote:
    > So does your Corp have 3 people hassle you then? And if you are just
    5
    > people even friends, I suggest you try join a new bigger corp all
    together.
    > More people to interact with, the more fun. Also join a corp which
    got more
    > people from the same time zone as your own.

    that's another thing: there's no index of corporations and active
    members. disregarding the immature reply about "exploits and griefing"
    i'd like to point out the simple fact that there is no ability to find
    out anything about prospective corporations that doesn't involve trying
    to sort through the massive spam recruiting campaigns of
    over-caffeinated teenagers.
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    > that's another thing: there's no index of corporations and active
    > members. disregarding the immature reply about "exploits and griefing"
    > i'd like to point out the simple fact that there is no ability to find
    > out anything about prospective corporations that doesn't involve trying
    > to sort through the massive spam recruiting campaigns of
    > over-caffeinated teenagers.

    Well, it's not easy to find the right Corp, the ingame recruitment channel
    is perhaps not the right place to look. The eve-online forum is a better
    medium to search through.

    Also get to know other players and through them their Corps is another, but
    slower.
    One of the bigger problems for new players is that the Corps's they got the
    best chance to join is also the ones not that good.

    Like new players tend to band together with other new players, but end up
    have very few older players to draw experience and advice from. And these
    type of corps's usally end up mining, and more mining and then some more
    mining, and a bit more mining.. You get the drift?

    The more established Corps's isn't alwasy interested in the new players
    because their lack of skills and experience can become a liability for their
    Corp (deppending on type), and the Corps's that is into alliances and
    politics of sorts often don't trust new players who don't have anyone
    already in the Corp to vouch for them. Spies, possible corp thiefs etc, not
    someone want into their Corp.

    mail me your eve nick and I might be able to help you if you are interested
    though.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    thanks, i'm going to put that quote in my corp FAQ

PC gaming Video Games