Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Any problems using one Palm Desktop with two different PDA..

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 6:49:10 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Is there any problem using two different PDA's with a single copy of Palm
Desktop? Specifically, I would like to use the Palm Desktop program on my
computer to manage my Tungsten T3 and my wife's Tungsten E. These two PDA's
will contain very different applications and stored information. I ask
because I don't know if the Palm Desktop program is different for different
Palm models.

Dwight Stewart
http://www.qsl.net/w5net/
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 7:06:35 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 02:49:10 GMT, Dwight Stewart had this to say...


>
> Is there any problem using two different PDA's with a single copy of Palm
> Desktop? Specifically, I would like to use the Palm Desktop program on my
> computer to manage my Tungsten T3 and my wife's Tungsten E. These two PDA's
> will contain very different applications and stored information. I ask
> because I don't know if the Palm Desktop program is different for different
> Palm models.
>
> Dwight Stewart
> http://www.qsl.net/w5net/
>
>

Both of these come with the exact same Desktop software, no limit on
number of users on one desktop. Makes it easy to copy info between
users.
Start the Palm desktop, upper right click on 'User:' drop down list,
select 'Edit Users' and add the other user name exactly as is is listed
on the Palm (start the Hotsync application on the Palm, username is
listed in the upper right corner).

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 5:08:47 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Jim Anderson" wrote:
>
> Both of these come with the exact same
> Desktop software, no limit on number
> of users on one desktop. (snip)


Thanks for that bit of info, Jim. Now all I have to do is get the
information off my old Tungsten E and onto the new Tungsten T3, which should
be a fun evening in itself. It doesn't help that the wife wants that
Tungsten E as soon as possible, of course.

Dwight Stewart
http://www.qsl.net/w5net/
Related resources
June 18, 2004 5:08:48 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

it should take you about 5 minutes, just put your freshly hard reset
tungsten T3 in the cradle and sync it, palm desktop will ask you which user
info you want to put on your T3, just choose your sign in name and it will
be as if your tungsten E just got a face life and is now a T3, all your old
programs and data will be on the T3.
have fun!

"Dwight Stewart" <stewartx@NOearthlinkSPAM.net> wrote in message
news:zgrAc.15890$Y3.11249@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>
> "Jim Anderson" wrote:
> >
> > Both of these come with the exact same
> > Desktop software, no limit on number
> > of users on one desktop. (snip)
>
>
> Thanks for that bit of info, Jim. Now all I have to do is get the
> information off my old Tungsten E and onto the new Tungsten T3, which
should
> be a fun evening in itself. It doesn't help that the wife wants that
> Tungsten E as soon as possible, of course.
>
> Dwight Stewart
> http://www.qsl.net/w5net/
>
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 7:45:56 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"dave" wrote:
>
> "Dwight Stewart" wrote:
> > Thanks for that bit of info, Jim. Now
> > all I have to do is get the information
> > off my old Tungsten E and onto the
> > new Tungsten T3, which should be a
> > fun evening in itself. It doesn't help that
> > the wife wants that Tungsten E as soon
> > as possible, of course.
>
>
> it should take you about 5 minutes, just
> put your freshly hard reset tungsten T3
> in the cradle and sync it, palm desktop
> will ask you which user info you want
> to put on your T3, just choose your
> sign in name and it will be as if your
> tungsten E just got a face life and is
> now a T3, all your old programs and
> data will be on the T3. have fun!


Really?? It surely can't be that easy. There are no unique unit specific
settings, like screen or hardware differences, to worry about? I put the
whole thing off to another day solely because I expected a long evening of
transferring everything from one to the other. If what you say is true, I'll
get after it perhaps tomorrow night.

Dwight Stewart
http://www.qsl.net/w5net/
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 8:10:56 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Dwight Stewart" <stewartx@NOearthlinkSPAM.net> wrote:

> > it should take you about 5 minutes, just
> > put your freshly hard reset tungsten T3
> > in the cradle and sync it, palm desktop
> > will ask you which user info you want
> > to put on your T3, just choose your
> > sign in name and it will be as if your
> > tungsten E just got a face life and is
> > now a T3, all your old programs and
> > data will be on the T3. have fun!
>
>
> Really?? It surely can't be that easy. There are no unique unit specific
> settings, like screen or hardware differences, to worry about?

There can be issues with OS patches getting "restored" inappropriately to
the new device, but I don't think they're relevant to the Tungsten E -> T3
switch. If you were upgrading from a *really* old Palm (something with
Pilot in the name, for example), I'd advise you to delete the "shortcuts"
database before trying it, but again I don't think that's an issue in your
case.
June 18, 2004 10:57:39 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I speak from experience because I just did the exact same upgrade without
any problems, one program from the E didn't install to the T3 because it was
a security program and T3 has its own better security stuff. if you have
applications that aren't compatible with the T3 then all that will happen is
when you try to run them the T3 will crash, just do a soft reset and then
delete that application and get the updated version from the web.
I'm sure you will be fine, but as a point of habit I ALWAYS back up my user
data folder:
c:\program files\palm\"my username" to somewhere else just incase something
goes wrong, that folder contains EVERYTHING you need that makes your palm
pilot yours and in the event of an emergency you can just delete your palm
desktop installation and all its data, then reinstall and put your backup
folder back in. but really I don't think I have ever done this and I have
been through about 5 palm units by now, 3 different models, IIIxe, E, T3....


"Alan Anderson" <aranders@insightbb.com> wrote in message
news:aranders-1706042311340001@192.168.1.101...
> "Dwight Stewart" <stewartx@NOearthlinkSPAM.net> wrote:
>
> > > it should take you about 5 minutes, just
> > > put your freshly hard reset tungsten T3
> > > in the cradle and sync it, palm desktop
> > > will ask you which user info you want
> > > to put on your T3, just choose your
> > > sign in name and it will be as if your
> > > tungsten E just got a face life and is
> > > now a T3, all your old programs and
> > > data will be on the T3. have fun!
> >
> >
> > Really?? It surely can't be that easy. There are no unique unit
specific
> > settings, like screen or hardware differences, to worry about?
>
> There can be issues with OS patches getting "restored" inappropriately to
> the new device, but I don't think they're relevant to the Tungsten E -> T3
> switch. If you were upgrading from a *really* old Palm (something with
> Pilot in the name, for example), I'd advise you to delete the "shortcuts"
> database before trying it, but again I don't think that's an issue in your
> case.
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 7:56:21 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Alan Anderson" wrote:
>
> There can be issues with OS patches
> getting "restored" inappropriately to
> the new device, but I don't think they're
> relevant to the Tungsten E -> T3
> switch. If you were upgrading from
> a *really* old Palm (something with
> Pilot in the name, for example), I'd advise
> you to delete the "shortcuts" database
> before trying it, but again I don't think
> that's an issue in your case.


Well, I just chickened out and did it the hard way - imported my databases
into a new user account and installed the applications from scratch. It took
about three hours, but everything is working perfectly. In some ways, this
was perhaps better. I noticed it got rid of a lot of old preference files
and other junk remaining from programs I had installed and deleted months
ago. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

Dwight Stewart
http://www.qsl.net/w5net/
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 7:58:25 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"dave" wrote:
>
> I speak from experience because I
> just did the exact same upgrade without
> any problems, one program from the
> E didn't install to the T3 because it was
> a security program and T3 has its own
> better security stuff. (snip)


Thanks for the advice, Dave. See my response to Alan for the actual
outcome of all this.

Dwight Stewart
http://www.qsl.net/w5net/
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 12:44:17 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <mrsAc.35844$nY.1137719@news20.bellglobal.com>, "dave" <dave@hhome.com> writes:
> it should take you about 5 minutes, just put your freshly hard reset
> tungsten T3 in the cradle and sync it, palm desktop will ask you which user
> info you want to put on your T3, just choose your sign in name and it will
> be as if your tungsten E just got a face life and is now a T3, all your old
> programs and data will be on the T3.
> have fun!

If only it were that easy when I upgraded from my Visor to the Zire71. Or
the three times the Zire lost its memory and had to be fully reloaded. I'm
zero for four in getting this thing to reload everything when in its
original state.

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD"
>>> To reply, remove the TRABoD! <<<
Kaplow Klips & Baffle: http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org

Save Model Rocketry from the HSA! http://www.space-rockets.com/congress.html
June 19, 2004 11:33:04 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

in article EUzAc.51691$7H1.1745088@news20.bellglobal.com, dave at
dave@hhome.com wrote on 6/18/04 4:57 AM:


as a point of habit I ALWAYS back up my user
> data folder:
> c:\program files\palm\"my username" to somewhere else just incase something
> goes wrong, that folder contains EVERYTHING you need that makes your palm
> pilot yours and in the event of an emergency you can just delete your palm
> desktop installation and all its data, then reinstall and put your backup
> folder back in.
>
>

As a new user I'd better ask - does backing up the palm\user file also back
up the Documents to Go list, links etc., or is that a separate additional
step?

Thanks.

John B.


--
The above PRIVACY.NET e-mail address is for spam avoidance
purposes. Please reply to the newsgroup or to jw10413 at earthlink.net
!