What are the advantages of Sprint PCS

Last response: in Network Providers
June 15, 2004 11:27:17 PM

I might switch from T-Mobile, just want to know.

--
people786
http://cellphoneforums.netView this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t125382.html

More about : advantages sprint pcs

Anonymous
June 16, 2004 3:36:25 AM

As a carrier, the only advantage one has over another is coverage. In a
handful of locations in our state, Sprint PCS has the best, or only, digital
coverage. However, in those locations I found that T-Mobile serves parts of
those areas and some of their own. The difference is that a T-Mobile has
very limited roaming capability. So, if you find one of these areas where
Sprint and T-Mobile are the coverage leaders, Sprint comes out on top
because it will most likely have more coverage through its roaming abilties.

But if you're in an area most carriers serve well, I dare say there is
little difference. You can price-shop.

Bill Radio
http://www.mountainwireless.com

"people786" <people786.17x3s3@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message
news:p eople786.17x3s3@nospam.cellphoneforums.net...

> I might switch from T-Mobile, just want to know.

Anonymous
June 16, 2004 3:41:10 AM

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:27:17 -0500, people786
<people786.17x3s3@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

>I might switch from T-Mobile, just want to know.

No advantages that I've been able to find. I moved to Sprint two
years ago, and will be switching out the end of this month. I would
have switched last year when my contract was up, but waited for the
number ports (and now, time to do it).

I can be standing smack in the middle of my home area (Jax Florida),
next to I95 in the middle of town, and not be able to get a Sprint
signal.

My son lives in Orlando, near Disney. I can't get a signal at his
apartment, and according to Sprint when I called them, was told that
"near Disney, and in the Disney area, cell signals just can't get
through". Funny, my son's Nextel and my sister's Cingular phone have
no problem. First they told me my phone needed a software upgrade.
We did that. Still no signal in many dense areas (such as the middle
of town in Jacksonville, FL) They tried another upgrade. No
improvement. Had me change the phone to accept other networks than
Sprint PCS, was able to get a signal then (in Jax, not in Orlando),
but had to pay .41 per minute roaming to place a call IN MY HOME AREA.
Then, I'm told it's my phone, I just need to buy a different one.

I travel extensively with my job. That free and clear plan they
advertise, with nationwide calling and no roaming? Well, just make
sure you do not travel to anywhere that is not part of the Sprint PCS
network, or you will be billed a minimum of .41 per minute for
roaming/ Oh, there is a way to get "free roaming", just buy the
additional feature with an additional fee per month, and you can roam
for "free". Places that I have been hit for roaming, before I added
the feature (that I have to pay a monthly charge for) that allows
"free roaming" include: Orlando, Los Angeles, Dallas, Detroit,
Jacksonville (home area), Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, and others. Oh,
did I mention Jacksonville, FL? My home area?

I have the airlines I travel on send "trip alerts", to notify me of
gate changes, flight delays, etc. These are sent via email. However,
the email that is sent does not make it to my phone. Instead, I get
an alert from Sprint that says I have email. I then have to connect
to the web (paying web connect charges, of course, *unless* I purchase
another add on that gives me x number of Web minutes per month) to
access my sprint inbox to read the message. A major inconvenience for
me, my old provider would just transmit the message itself, my
sister's provider just transmits the message itself....Sprint? No,
can't do it. I've heard 10 different reasons from them as to why they
can't, none that make any sense.

Given a choice, I would not change to Sprint, if I were you. Having
the choice now, I am leaving them at the end of this billing cycle.

Deb
June 16, 2004 3:41:11 AM

I get alerts from airlines sent directly to my phone. As my email
address, I give them 1112223333@messaging.sprintpcs.com, not
visionname@sprintpcs.com (which behaves as you described).

d_e_b_m_4.4NO.SPAM@comcast.net wrote:

<snip>

> I have the airlines I travel on send "trip alerts", to notify me of
> gate changes, flight delays, etc. These are sent via email. However,
> the email that is sent does not make it to my phone. Instead, I get
> an alert from Sprint that says I have email. I then have to connect
> to the web (paying web connect charges, of course, *unless* I purchase
> another add on that gives me x number of Web minutes per month) to
> access my sprint inbox to read the message. A major inconvenience for
> me, my old provider would just transmit the message itself, my
> sister's provider just transmits the message itself....Sprint? No,
> can't do it. I've heard 10 different reasons from them as to why they
> can't, none that make any sense.
<snip>

June 16, 2004 7:37:54 AM

In article <people786.17x3s3@nospam.cellphoneforums.net>,
people786 <people786.17x3s3@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

> I might switch from T-Mobile, just want to know.
>

> --
> people786
> http://cellphoneforums.netView this thread:
> http://cellphoneforums.net/t125382.html

= CDMA phones with Analog capability for roaming is the biggest
advantage.
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 4:55:12 PM

<d_e_b_m_4.4NO.SPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:27:17 -0500, people786
> <people786.17x3s3@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:
>

> >I might switch from T-Mobile, just want to know.
>
> No advantages that I've been able to find. I moved to Sprint two
> years ago, and will be switching out the end of this month. I would
> have switched last year when my contract was up, but waited for the
> number ports (and now, time to do it).
>
> I can be standing smack in the middle of my home area (Jax Florida),
> next to I95 in the middle of town, and not be able to get a Sprint
> signal.
>
> My son lives in Orlando, near Disney. I can't get a signal at his
> apartment, and according to Sprint when I called them, was told that
> "near Disney, and in the Disney area, cell signals just can't get
> through". Funny, my son's Nextel and my sister's Cingular phone have
> no problem. First they told me my phone needed a software upgrade.
> We did that. Still no signal in many dense areas (such as the middle
> of town in Jacksonville, FL) They tried another upgrade. No
> improvement. Had me change the phone to accept other networks than
> Sprint PCS, was able to get a signal then (in Jax, not in Orlando),
> but had to pay .41 per minute roaming to place a call IN MY HOME AREA.
> Then, I'm told it's my phone, I just need to buy a different one.
>

> I travel extensively with my job. That free and clear plan they
> advertise, with nationwide calling and no roaming? Well, just make
> sure you do not travel to anywhere that is not part of the Sprint PCS
> network, or you will be billed a minimum of .41 per minute for
> roaming/ Oh, there is a way to get "free roaming", just buy the
> additional feature with an additional fee per month, and you can roam
> for "free". Places that I have been hit for roaming, before I added
> the feature (that I have to pay a monthly charge for) that allows
> "free roaming" include: Orlando, Los Angeles, Dallas, Detroit,
> Jacksonville (home area), Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, and others. Oh,
> did I mention Jacksonville, FL? My home area?

Just curious, but what phone do you have, and what are the firmware & PRL
versions loaded up on it? Also, what plan are you on now, the local plan or
a national plan?

I ask as you those complaints you list above, could deal with your phone and
your plan.

Bob
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 6:16:30 PM

In article <33fvc0lslbu82btvkiijsuukgccf08143i@4ax.com>,
d_e_b_m_4.4NO.SPAM@comcast.net wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:27:17 -0500, people786
> <people786.17x3s3@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:
>

> >I might switch from T-Mobile, just want to know.
>
> No advantages that I've been able to find. I moved to Sprint two
> years ago, and will be switching out the end of this month. I would
> have switched last year when my contract was up, but waited for the
> number ports (and now, time to do it).
>
> I can be standing smack in the middle of my home area (Jax Florida),
> next to I95 in the middle of town, and not be able to get a Sprint
> signal.
>
> My son lives in Orlando, near Disney. I can't get a signal at his
> apartment, and according to Sprint when I called them, was told that
> "near Disney, and in the Disney area, cell signals just can't get
> through".

Sounds like a typical CSR, making it up as they go along.

> Funny, my son's Nextel and my sister's Cingular phone have
> no problem. First they told me my phone needed a software upgrade.
> We did that. Still no signal in many dense areas (such as the middle
> of town in Jacksonville, FL) They tried another upgrade. No
> improvement. Had me change the phone to accept other networks than
> Sprint PCS, was able to get a signal then (in Jax, not in Orlando),
> but had to pay .41 per minute roaming to place a call IN MY HOME AREA.
> Then, I'm told it's my phone, I just need to buy a different one.
>

> I travel extensively with my job. That free and clear plan they
> advertise, with nationwide calling and no roaming? Well, just make
> sure you do not travel to anywhere that is not part of the Sprint PCS
> network, or you will be billed a minimum of .41 per minute for
> roaming/ Oh, there is a way to get "free roaming", just buy the
> additional feature with an additional fee per month, and you can roam
> for "free". Places that I have been hit for roaming, before I added
> the feature (that I have to pay a monthly charge for) that allows
> "free roaming" include: Orlando, Los Angeles, Dallas, Detroit,
> Jacksonville (home area), Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, and others. Oh,
> did I mention Jacksonville, FL? My home area?
>

> I have the airlines I travel on send "trip alerts", to notify me of
> gate changes, flight delays, etc. These are sent via email. However,
> the email that is sent does not make it to my phone. Instead, I get
> an alert from Sprint that says I have email. I then have to connect
> to the web (paying web connect charges, of course, *unless* I purchase
> another add on that gives me x number of Web minutes per month) to
> access my sprint inbox to read the message. A major inconvenience for
> me, my old provider would just transmit the message itself, my
> sister's provider just transmits the message itself....Sprint? No,
> can't do it. I've heard 10 different reasons from them as to why they
> can't, none that make any sense.
>
> Given a choice, I would not change to Sprint, if I were you. Having
> the choice now, I am leaving them at the end of this billing cycle.
>

> Deb
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 12:47:27 AM

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 22:02:47 -0700, Frank Harris
<frankbhX@XcompuserveX.com> wrote:

>I get alerts from airlines sent directly to my phone. As my email
>address, I give them 1112223333@messaging.sprintpcs.com, not
>visionname@sprintpcs.com (which behaves as you described).

Interesting, that in 2 years and at least a half dozen calls, that
nobody from Sprint could tell me that.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that until the switch.

>d_e_b_m_4.4NO.SPAM@comcast.net wrote:
>
><snip>
>>
>> I have the airlines I travel on send "trip alerts", to notify me of
>> gate changes, flight delays, etc. These are sent via email. However,
>> the email that is sent does not make it to my phone. Instead, I get
>> an alert from Sprint that says I have email. I then have to connect
>> to the web (paying web connect charges, of course, *unless* I purchase
>> another add on that gives me x number of Web minutes per month) to
>> access my sprint inbox to read the message. A major inconvenience for
>> me, my old provider would just transmit the message itself, my
>> sister's provider just transmits the message itself....Sprint? No,
>> can't do it. I've heard 10 different reasons from them as to why they
>> can't, none that make any sense.
><snip>

Deb
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 12:50:44 AM

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 12:55:12 GMT, "Bob Smith"
<usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:

>> "free roaming" include: Orlando, Los Angeles, Dallas, Detroit,
>> Jacksonville (home area), Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, and others. Oh,
>> did I mention Jacksonville, FL? My home area?
>
>Just curious, but what phone do you have, and what are the firmware & PRL
>versions loaded up on it? Also, what plan are you on now, the local plan or
>a national plan?

I have a Samsung A400. A cheapie, I know. However, I never had these
kinds of problems with any "cheap" phone from my previous provider.

I am on a national plan, Free and Clear, since I travel frequently for
business.

>I ask as you those complaints you list above, could deal with your phone and
>your plan.

I'm sure some of it is my phone. They did yet another update on it
last night. However, my son, who switched from Sprint last year due
to similar problems with getting a signal, had a very good phone.
Actually, has the same "model" of phone with his new provider, and
gets a very strong signal where he lives now, where it was dead with
Sprint.

>Bob

Deb
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 12:55:38 AM

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 23:36:25 -0600, "Bill Radio"
<Wireless@MountainWirelessNOSPAN.com> wrote:

>As a carrier, the only advantage one has over another is coverage. In a
>handful of locations in our state, Sprint PCS has the best, or only, digital
>coverage. However, in those locations I found that T-Mobile serves parts of
>those areas and some of their own. The difference is that a T-Mobile has
>very limited roaming capability. So, if you find one of these areas where
>Sprint and T-Mobile are the coverage leaders, Sprint comes out on top
>because it will most likely have more coverage through its roaming abilties.
>
>But if you're in an area most carriers serve well, I dare say there is
>little difference. You can price-shop.

What I found most frustrating, was that when in many parts of
Jacksonville, FL, not a small city, I could not get a PCS signal.
Immediately south of the I95/I295 merger south of Jax, the phone has
always dropped into roaming mode, and stays there until almost St.
Augustine.

The same for a large stretch of I10 west of Jacksonville between Jax
and Lake City. Our church has a fund raiser each year in a town
called Luster. We all bring our phones with us. All of those on
other carriers were able to get signals. None of us with Sprint,
using a variety of phones, could get one.

>Bill Radio
>Click for Western U.S. Wireless Reviews at:
>http://www.mountainwireless.com
>

>"people786" <people786.17x3s3@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message
>news:p eople786.17x3s3@nospam.cellphoneforums.net...
>>
>> I might switch from T-Mobile, just want to know.

Deb
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 2:02:20 AM

It is good to know that if I upgrade to a Vision phone that Text
Messaging will still work.

Frank Harris wrote:
> I get alerts from airlines sent directly to my phone. As my email
> address, I give them 1112223333@messaging.sprintpcs.com, not
> visionname@sprintpcs.com (which behaves as you described).
>
> d_e_b_m_4.4NO.SPAM@comcast.net wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

>> I have the airlines I travel on send "trip alerts", to notify me of
>> gate changes, flight delays, etc. These are sent via email. However,
>> the email that is sent does not make it to my phone. Instead, I get
>> an alert from Sprint that says I have email. I then have to connect
>> to the web (paying web connect charges, of course, *unless* I purchase
>> another add on that gives me x number of Web minutes per month) to
>> access my sprint inbox to read the message. A major inconvenience for
>> me, my old provider would just transmit the message itself, my
>> sister's provider just transmits the message itself....Sprint? No,
>> can't do it. I've heard 10 different reasons from them as to why they
>> can't, none that make any sense.
>
> <snip>

Anonymous
June 17, 2004 2:08:00 AM

It could very well be your phone. You said you have been with
them for 2 years. Is the phone that old? It sounds like you have a
Wireless Web phone. If it is a 2 year old WW phone, it is likely the
phone does no longer work at peak efficiency. A new Vision phone is
probably in order.

> [...]

> I have the airlines I travel on send "trip alerts", to notify me of
> gate changes, flight delays, etc. These are sent via email. However,
> the email that is sent does not make it to my phone. Instead, I get
> an alert from Sprint that says I have email. I then have to connect
> to the web (paying web connect charges, of course, *unless* I purchase
> another add on that gives me x number of Web minutes per month) to
> access my sprint inbox to read the message. A major inconvenience for
> me, my old provider would just transmit the message itself, my
> sister's provider just transmits the message itself....Sprint? No,
> can't do it. I've heard 10 different reasons from them as to why they
> can't, none that make any sense.
>
> Given a choice, I would not change to Sprint, if I were you. Having
> the choice now, I am leaving them at the end of this billing cycle.

Anonymous
June 17, 2004 2:08:01 AM

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 22:08:00 GMT, Jerome Zelinske
<jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote:

> It could very well be your phone. You said you have been with
>them for 2 years. Is the phone that old? It sounds like you have a
>Wireless Web phone. If it is a 2 year old WW phone, it is likely the
>phone does no longer work at peak efficiency. A new Vision phone is
>probably in order.

The phone is 2 years old, but has behaved the same all along. There
has been no degradation of signal capability, it has been this way
from pretty much day one.

In lieu of a new Vision phone, I will be moving to another provider.

> [...]
>>

>> I have the airlines I travel on send "trip alerts", to notify me of
>> gate changes, flight delays, etc. These are sent via email. However,
>> the email that is sent does not make it to my phone. Instead, I get
>> an alert from Sprint that says I have email. I then have to connect
>> to the web (paying web connect charges, of course, *unless* I purchase
>> another add on that gives me x number of Web minutes per month) to
>> access my sprint inbox to read the message. A major inconvenience for
>> me, my old provider would just transmit the message itself, my
>> sister's provider just transmits the message itself....Sprint? No,
>> can't do it. I've heard 10 different reasons from them as to why they
>> can't, none that make any sense.
>>
>> Given a choice, I would not change to Sprint, if I were you. Having
>> the choice now, I am leaving them at the end of this billing cycle.

Deb
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 2:12:11 AM

Glad to help, but sorry it took so long.

As an example of a good service, if you use United Airlines, sign in to
Mileage Plus, and then choose Easy Update. Where you give them your
phone's address, if you don't know it's
1112223333@messaging.sprintpcs.com, you can choose Sprint PCS and enter
the 10-digit number, and the website constructs the
1112223333@messaging.sprintpcs.com address for you.

deb.milner@att.net wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 22:02:47 -0700, Frank Harris
> <frankbhX@XcompuserveX.com> wrote:
>

>>I get alerts from airlines sent directly to my phone. As my email
>>address, I give them 1112223333@messaging.sprintpcs.com, not
>>visionname@sprintpcs.com (which behaves as you described).
>

> Interesting, that in 2 years and at least a half dozen calls, that
> nobody from Sprint could tell me that.
>
> Thanks for the tip, I'll try that until the switch.
>
> Deb

June 17, 2004 4:47:37 AM

In article <4x3Ac.7393$Wr.3765@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
Jerome Zelinske <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote:

> It could very well be your phone. You said you have been with
> them for 2 years. Is the phone that old? It sounds like you have a
> Wireless Web phone. If it is a 2 year old WW phone, it is likely the
> phone does no longer work at peak efficiency. A new Vision phone is
> probably in order.

Are phones like tires, they crack with age? Or are they designed to fall
apart in less than 2 years. Why should you be able to assume a phone
thats two years old is a problem phone?
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 5:05:20 AM

In article <8rq1d0hbkc3qb76ma00srlmmnanehd01ma@4ax.com>,
deb.milner@att.net wrote:

> What I found most frustrating, was that when in many parts of
> Jacksonville, FL, not a small city, I could not get a PCS signal.
> Immediately south of the I95/I295 merger south of Jax, the phone has
> always dropped into roaming mode, and stays there until almost St.
> Augustine.

According to Sprint's coverage map they have coverage all along I95.
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 5:05:21 AM

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 01:05:20 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty>
wrote:

>In article <8rq1d0hbkc3qb76ma00srlmmnanehd01ma@4ax.com>,
> deb.milner@att.net wrote:
>
>> What I found most frustrating, was that when in many parts of
>> Jacksonville, FL, not a small city, I could not get a PCS signal.
>> Immediately south of the I95/I295 merger south of Jax, the phone has
>> always dropped into roaming mode, and stays there until almost St.
>> Augustine.
>
>According to Sprint's coverage map they have coverage all along I95.

Their map is incorrect then. With 2 different phones, as soon as we
head south on I95 after getting off I295, we lose signal on PCS, get
an analog roaming signal, if we get a signal at all.

The map also claims they have coverage along I10, but between
Jacksonville and Lake City, they have large gaps in coverage.

Deb
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 10:59:50 AM

<d_e_b_m_4.4NO.SPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message news:33fvc0lslbu82btvkiijsuukgccf08143i@4ax.com...
> > My son lives in Orlando, near Disney. I can't get a signal at his
> > apartment, and according to Sprint when I called them, was told that
> > "near Disney, and in the Disney area, cell signals just can't get
> > through".

That's weird. I was all over Disney World last month and I had signal
to burn. Made calls, received calls, you name it. Never a problem.

> > I travel extensively with my job. [snippage] Places that I have been hit
> > for roaming, before I added
> > the feature (that I have to pay a monthly charge for) that allows
> > "free roaming" include: Orlando, Los Angeles, Dallas, Detroit,
> > Jacksonville (home area), Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, and others.

Again, that's weird. I travel to most of those places for my job too
and have never needed to roam. And I just have a basic Free & Clear
Nationwide plan, the same one I've had for the past 4 years. No
additional "free roaming" package, no Vision, nothin'. And I'm using
an old Samsung N200 phone, so it's not like I have some super-duper
techie whiz hardware either.

I feel for you. I have no answers, or even suggestions, but I feel
for you.
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 2:31:10 PM

In article <7gu1d0pdi27lcrgtdhq4c01v5enbbhe292@4ax.com>,
deb.milner@att.net wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 01:05:20 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <8rq1d0hbkc3qb76ma00srlmmnanehd01ma@4ax.com>,
> > deb.milner@att.net wrote:
> >
> >> What I found most frustrating, was that when in many parts of
> >> Jacksonville, FL, not a small city, I could not get a PCS signal.
> >> Immediately south of the I95/I295 merger south of Jax, the phone has
> >> always dropped into roaming mode, and stays there until almost St.
> >> Augustine.
> >
> >According to Sprint's coverage map they have coverage all along I95.
>
> Their map is incorrect then. With 2 different phones, as soon as we
> head south on I95 after getting off I295, we lose signal on PCS, get
> an analog roaming signal, if we get a signal at all.
>
> The map also claims they have coverage along I10, but between
> Jacksonville and Lake City, they have large gaps in coverage.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but the SprintPCS apologists say the maps
are acceptable as they show "generally" where coverage is available.

The maps are basically worthless lies.
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 5:06:46 PM

<deb.milner@att.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 12:55:12 GMT, "Bob Smith"
> <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:
>

> >> "free roaming" include: Orlando, Los Angeles, Dallas, Detroit,
> >> Jacksonville (home area), Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, and others. Oh,
> >> did I mention Jacksonville, FL? My home area?
> >
> >Just curious, but what phone do you have, and what are the firmware & PRL
> >versions loaded up on it? Also, what plan are you on now, the local plan
or
> >a national plan?
>
> I have a Samsung A400. A cheapie, I know. However, I never had these
> kinds of problems with any "cheap" phone from my previous provider.
>
> I am on a national plan, Free and Clear, since I travel frequently for
> business.

Yea, that is an inexpensive phone ... :) . That phone model has been
mentioned in this newsgroup as having coverage problems in fringe areas.

> >I ask as you those complaints you list above, could deal with your phone
and
> >your plan.
>
> I'm sure some of it is my phone. They did yet another update on it
> last night.

What update? A PRL update to 10024? You didn't mention your firmware
version. Is it WI19?

> However, my son, who switched from Sprint last year due
> to similar problems with getting a signal, had a very good phone.
> Actually, has the same "model" of phone with his new provider, and
> gets a very strong signal where he lives now, where it was dead with
> Sprint.

When you say the same model, are you just talking Samsung or specifically a
Samsung A400? And who is the other provider?

Just curious ...

Bob
June 17, 2004 7:26:45 PM

<d_e_b_m_4.4NO.SPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message

> I travel extensively with my job. That free and clear plan they
> advertise, with nationwide calling and no roaming? Well, just make
> sure you do not travel to anywhere that is not part of the Sprint PCS
> network, or you will be billed a minimum of .41 per minute for
> roaming

When AT&T Wireless starts up and re-sells Sprint, this August or September,
the roaming issue may go away.

AT&T is waiting for their sale to Cingular to be complete, and they
announced that they will be in business re-selling Sprint, with AT&T billing
and AT&T Customer Service, THE VERY NEXT DAY. I assume that the phones are
already waiting in warehouses, ready to ship.

The AT&T-Sprint deal runs 5 years.

When AT&T set up their original TDMA network, they were very aggressive
about promoting plans free of roaming charges, regardless of whether they
had to hand you off to another network. I still have one of those Digital
One Rate plans, and I have never been billed a cent for roaming in over 5
years. And my home area (Philadelphia) stretches from Boston to Arlington,
Virginia, and from the Jersey Shore to the Ohio-Pennsylvania border.

I can hardly wait for the new AT&T Wireless to come into existence. Should
be a great deal.
Anonymous
June 27, 2004 5:23:38 PM

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 22:12:11 -0700, Frank Harris
<frankbhX@XcompuserveX.com> wrote:

>Glad to help, but sorry it took so long.
>
>As an example of a good service, if you use United Airlines, sign in to
>Mileage Plus, and then choose Easy Update. Where you give them your
>phone's address, if you don't know it's
>1112223333@messaging.sprintpcs.com, you can choose Sprint PCS and enter
>the 10-digit number, and the website constructs the
>1112223333@messaging.sprintpcs.com address for you.

Well, changed the notify on my Continental account to the
messaging.sprintpcs.com method....but it appears there is a text limit
on the messages the phone will get, and the "meat" of the message has
been truncated....<sigh>....it doesn't even get flowed into a second
message.

>deb.milner@att.net wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 22:02:47 -0700, Frank Harris
>> <frankbhX@XcompuserveX.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I get alerts from airlines sent directly to my phone. As my email
>>>address, I give them 1112223333@messaging.sprintpcs.com, not
>>>visionname@sprintpcs.com (which behaves as you described).
>>

>> Interesting, that in 2 years and at least a half dozen calls, that
>> nobody from Sprint could tell me that.
>>
>> Thanks for the tip, I'll try that until the switch.
>>
>> Deb

Deb
Anonymous
June 27, 2004 5:25:59 PM

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:06:46 GMT, "Bob Smith"
<usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:

>What update? A PRL update to 10024? You didn't mention your firmware
>version. Is it WI19?
>
>> However, my son, who switched from Sprint last year due
>> to similar problems with getting a signal, had a very good phone.
>> Actually, has the same "model" of phone with his new provider, and
>> gets a very strong signal where he lives now, where it was dead with
>> Sprint.
>
>When you say the same model, are you just talking Samsung or specifically a
>Samsung A400? And who is the other provider?

No, he had a different model phone than the Samsung. I think it was a
Nokia, but am not sure. I do know that he has pretty much the same
model now that he had before, but is now with Nextel.....and gets
excelllent coverage at home.

He wants me to switch to Nextel, so we can all be on the same "group".
That's all I need, is that darn phone "beeping" at me when he tries to
walkie talkie me.....nope. Not going there.

>Just curious ...
>
>Bob

Deb
Anonymous
June 27, 2004 5:30:24 PM

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 15:26:45 GMT, "Jeremy" <jeremy@nospam.thanks.com>
wrote:

>When AT&T set up their original TDMA network, they were very aggressive
>about promoting plans free of roaming charges, regardless of whether they
>had to hand you off to another network. I still have one of those Digital
>One Rate plans, and I have never been billed a cent for roaming in over 5
>years. And my home area (Philadelphia) stretches from Boston to Arlington,
>Virginia, and from the Jersey Shore to the Ohio-Pennsylvania border.
>
>I can hardly wait for the new AT&T Wireless to come into existence. Should
>be a great deal.

I have to say that when I was with AT&T, I had virtually no problems
with them at all. Coverage was great, as you mention, even if the
phone said roaming, I was never billed a roaming charge....even when
making calls from Canada, which really surprised me.

I never had problems with their customer support either, always got a
"real voice" (Claire drove me nuts, until I finally figured out how to
get a live voice quickly), with friendly, helpful staff.

Then my son got a bright idea after seeing one of Sprint's ads about
that time, with the PCS to PCS callling plans........and they had a
better price at the time. I figured, what the heck, they're
nationwide, should be about the same......

I have regretted leaving AT&T ever since.

Deb
Anonymous
June 27, 2004 5:34:02 PM

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:31:10 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty>
wrote:

>> Their map is incorrect then. With 2 different phones, as soon as we
>> head south on I95 after getting off I295, we lose signal on PCS, get
>> an analog roaming signal, if we get a signal at all.
>>
>> The map also claims they have coverage along I10, but between
>> Jacksonville and Lake City, they have large gaps in coverage.
>
>I'm not disagreeing with you, but the SprintPCS apologists say the maps
>are acceptable as they show "generally" where coverage is available.
>
>The maps are basically worthless lies.

I noticed. When I first got my phones, I had mine set to go both on
and off PCS network. Then got a bill, where a number of calls made
from home were "roaming" on another provider's network. Called
Sprint, after fighting off Claire, I was told by a rep that for some
reason, my phone would grab a signal from another tower in the next
county, a tower that was not part of Sprint's network, even when a
Sprint tower was available near my home. That's when they advised me
to put it in PCS only mode. This of course, led to numerous bouts of
"no signal" in too many places, so I finally had to bite the bullet
and buy the add on roaming plan.....

One month to go, then the switch to the new provider.

Deb
Anonymous
June 27, 2004 10:42:34 PM

> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 22:12:11 -0700, Frank Harris
> <frankbhX@XcompuserveX.com> wrote:
>
> >Glad to help, but sorry it took so long.
> >
> >As an example of a good service, if you use United Airlines, sign in to
> >Mileage Plus, and then choose Easy Update. Where you give them your
> >phone's address, if you don't know it's
> >1112223333@messaging.sprintpcs.com, you can choose Sprint PCS and enter
> >the 10-digit number, and the website constructs the
> >1112223333@messaging.sprintpcs.com address for you.
>

> Well, changed the notify on my Continental account to the
> messaging.sprintpcs.com method....but it appears there is a text limit
> on the messages the phone will get, and the "meat" of the message has
> been truncated....<sigh>....it doesn't even get flowed into a second
> message.

TMs only allow 160 characters, and header text is included in that 160.

Bob
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 3:55:04 PM

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 18:42:34 GMT, "Bob Smith"
<usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:

>> on the messages the phone will get, and the "meat" of the message has
>> been truncated....<sigh>....it doesn't even get flowed into a second
>> message.
>
>TMs only allow 160 characters, and header text is included in that 160.

which brings me back to my original problem, I can't get the message
unless I dial out to the web....<sigh>

Deb
!