Buffer size...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm looking at low-cost USB and Firewire audio/midi boxes with the potential for low latency performance (not just direct hardware input monitoring) via midi in.

So far, the most promising is the Tascam US-122 and the M-Audio Firewire Audiophile.

However, I notice the Tascam only has a minimum buffer size of 256 samples which gives about 12 seconds of latency with Cubase.

The M-Audio has a default of 256 samples, but this can be reduced (to 64?) if one's hardware/software system can cope.

Should I be able to get lower midi latency with the M-Audio box? (although I think the Tascam has kernel-level midi drivers for low latency)

I would be running a software rompler such as Gigastudio 3 Solo or NI Kompakt.

you mean milliseconds. 12 seconds would be ridiculous. 256 samples is
5.8 milliseconds.

Gigastudio is not a Rompler. A rompler is a synth that takes a sampled
waveform and processes it to produces a sound in more enhanced way.

I am a highly skilled keyboardist, and I find anything under 10
milliseconds is fine as long as it stays steady, rather than varying
from 2 milliseconds to 9 milliseconds or something like that.

just so you know, sound travels at 1100 feet per second. so if you
stand 8 feet from your speakers you are already at a "latency" that
exceeds your concerns with the midi.