Memory and Ocing.. help

Astralmind

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003
I've been reading trough the board for quite a long time and I still can't decide what to get. I already bought a really nice case equiped with 5 fans. I want to try Oc'ing
Athlon XP 1800 Tbred B (store near my place as them for a good price). Mobo will probably go for A7N8xDlx . My main concern is with RAM. I know good mem is critical but I really have to minimize the costs (the Asus is already very expensive). I can get Kingston 333DDR at an excellent price. Would that be good enough ? Do I absolutly have to go with Corsair ? An last but not least, what are the settings I should work with in the BIOS when I OC ? What are the optimal settings. Thanks a lot (sorry for cross posting.. really dont know in which thread this should go)

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
If your overclocking, the question is will you be wanting to unlock your cpu or just increase the fsb? If the latter is correct, then the 1800xp uses 133ddr bus, so buying even standard pc2700 ram (333mhz) and taking the fsb up a step at a time until u either reach the rams limit of 166 or u simply cant go any further. This will get you anywhere between 1.6ghz and 1.9ghz (166*11.5) effectively getting you a 2200+ rating. If you unlock the cpu, something i dont like doing personally, u could maybe go higher, say 13*166 = 2.16ghz (nice)! So basically standard 2700 memory will be fine. Sorry if you knew most already but wanted to cover all bases for you :)

Good luck with the o/c!

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
A note on bios and jumper settings, look for info on a pci/agp devider setting so u can up the fsb to 166 without increasing the pci and agp bus too much, and keep an eye on those temps! If you need more info on how to test for stability i have some good tips (avid overclocker here) hehe!