Palm IIIxe Battery problem

June 17, 2004 3:02:04 AM

I have a Palm IIIxe that eats batteries. Like every 2 weeks if I am lucky.
I have changed the capacitor. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Ed
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 7:17:58 AM

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 23:02:04 -0400, Ed Lentz had this to say...

> I have a Palm IIIxe that eats batteries. Like every 2 weeks if I am lucky.
> I have changed the capacitor. Anyone have any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ed

How good was your solder joints?
Did you use acid or resin flux?
Did you short out to another trace?
Did you use a cap with way too much capacity?
Are you using really cheap batteries with low amp/hour rating?
Was there an abnormal amount of solar activity in conjunction with
Mercury's accent ion causing fluctuations in the earths magnetic flux?
Were there any reports of worm holes causing time distortions in your
area?

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson

Jim,
Solder joints bright and shiny
Resin flux
No shorts I can find
Same cap as installed, even got it from an older Palm
Duracells (Fresh) X 3 times
My magnetic flux meter is broken at the moment, what about using a 2nd
level radionics meter?
They out lawed Worm Holes in my town after the last accident :(

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!
Related resources
June 18, 2004 10:06:42 AM

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 23:02:04 -0400, Ed Lentz wrote:

> I have a Palm IIIxe that eats batteries. Like every 2 weeks if I am lucky.
> I have changed the capacitor. Anyone have any other suggestions?

My Palm IIIx got between 42 and 50 hours of use per pair of fresh
AAA alkalines. How many hours per day you you use the IIIxe? I
assume that you don't use the backlight (I never do). Use of the
I/O ports will increase power consumption. Do you frequently
hotsync or leave the IIIxe in the cradle for extended periods? (I've
read that some cradles drain the battery even when the Palm is
powered off!) Do you have IR enabled? If so, do you use the IIIxe
in an 'IR noisy' environment?

If nothing solves the problem, you may want to switch to NiMH
rechargeables. I've been using them almost excusively for a couple
of years. Most decent brands provide close to the same life as
alkalines, and I've never lost data using them. The only advantage
alkalines have is you can store your Palm in a drawer, and several
months later they'll power on an continue to run (if they had no
recurring alarms set). Do that with NiMH and NiCads and you'll
probably lose all your data.
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 3:00:15 AM

BillB
Putting in fresh Alkalines and setting it on the desk will kill them in
about ten days. Using it makes it worse. IR disables as far as I can
tell, can the OS lie to me and say it is off when its not?

Maybe I will switch to NiMH batteries.

Thanks

Ed
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 8:05:35 AM

"Ed Lentz" <edlentz@charter.net> wrote:

> Putting in fresh Alkalines and setting it on the desk will kill them in
> about ten days. Using it makes it worse.

I'd say either there's a hardware problem with your IIIxe, or there's some
software configured to keep the serial port open full time. Have you done
a hardware reset to see if that gets things back to normal?
June 19, 2004 8:47:12 AM

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 23:00:15 -0400, Ed Lentz wrote:

> Putting in fresh Alkalines and setting it on the desk will kill them in
> about ten days. Using it makes it worse. IR disables as far as I can
> tell, can the OS lie to me and say it is off when its not?

The Palm is always on, but probably runs at a very low clock rate
to minimize the battery drain. Among its tasks are to check to see
if any buttons have been pressed, see if alarms need to be
activated, etc. From the info. you provided, when your is
"hibernating", it's actually consuming the batteries at a rate of
about 7 milliamps. (When AAA's are exhausted from the Palm's POV,
they still contain quite a bit of energy and can power some other
devices for many hours).

As Alan suggested, see if a reset provides a cure. (He said
'hardware reset', but that could be take as either a soft reset or a
hard reset). If the (soft) reset doesn't help, then you should see
if a hard reset will. As this will wipe out everything on your
Palm, make sure you've backed up everything worth saving. Then do a
hotsync to restore your programs and data. If the excessive power
consumption doesn't go away, you still won't know if it's being
caused by faulty hardware or from faulty software that you just
re-installed. To find out, do another hard reset, but this time
don't hotsync or reinstall anything. Just leave the Palm alone with
the power off for a day or two. When you turn it back on, if the
hardware is bad you'll see that the battery level has dropped.

> Maybe I will switch to NiMH batteries.

If you do, get at least 4 AAAs. If you are near a Radio Shack, you
can get it from them, but note while the quality is good, their
price isn't the best. They sell 4 NiMH AAAs for about $18. If you
leave their battery section and go to their toy racing car section,
you'll see that they also have the identical NiMH AAAs (a metallic
green color) in a package containing 8 AAAs for about $20. While
you may not need the extra batteries, this pack also contains one of
their better 'smart' chargers, that can recharge AAs or AAAs, and
any number, from 1 to 4. Most others can only charge 2 or 4 at a
time.
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 3:33:11 AM

Well,
I just checked the unit and it was deader than dead. As soon as I get
some new batteries I will fire it up and leave it empty to see if it will
hold, I'll report back.

Thanks for the help!

Ed
!