Read/Write Yahoo mail off web browser on PDA?

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

Greets,
does anyone know,

is it possible to surf to http://www.yahoomail.com
or http://wap.oa.yahoo.com
and read email off the web browser without a pop3 account (which costs
extra on yahoo) - all this with a triband GSM PDA device such as Treo
600, Palm Tungsten W, or Motorola Accompli 009?

I just want to use it with pay as you go GPRS without any monthly
contract.
if someone can test this on his PDA & and respond here, it will be a
GREAT HELP-or alternatively, some web emulator of a PDA which will
enable one to test this...I have searched extensively but didn't find
anything working.

if anyone can shed some light on this subject

I am mostly interested in the Accompli 009 as it is the cheapest one
currently (can be had for as low as $114 new in box, and has triband
GSM, also unlocked)

as far as I know, the browser it uses is openwave 1.1

also does anyone know, can this browser be update on the accompli to
later versions?

thanx.
6 answers Last reply
More about read write yahoo mail browser
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

    On 17 Jun 2004 13:37:58 -0700, heruti@lycos.com (Me) wrote:

    >Greets,
    >does anyone know,
    >
    >is it possible to surf to http://www.yahoomail.com
    >or http://wap.oa.yahoo.com
    >and read email off the web browser without a pop3 account (which costs
    >extra on yahoo) - all this with a triband GSM PDA device such as Treo
    >600, Palm Tungsten W, or Motorola Accompli 009?
    >
    >I just want to use it with pay as you go GPRS without any monthly
    >contract.
    >if someone can test this on his PDA & and respond here, it will be a
    >GREAT HELP-or alternatively, some web emulator of a PDA which will
    >enable one to test this...I have searched extensively but didn't find
    >anything working.
    >
    >if anyone can shed some light on this subject

    Yes, it is. Set your WAP browser to http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail. Note
    that this URL will take you directly to YM. You can access other
    features of Yahoo Mobile by leaving the /mail off the URL.

    >I am mostly interested in the Accompli 009 as it is the cheapest one
    >currently (can be had for as low as $114 new in box, and has triband
    >GSM, also unlocked)
    >
    >as far as I know, the browser it uses is openwave 1.1

    Shouldn't matter what browser, as long as you're accessing from a
    WAP-enabled device.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

    I can access webmail.att.net off my Axim
    BUT I can also use the built in mail reader to get it direct.
    FORGET the wap sites.
    You can access almost any real web site off a PDA using the T-Mo
    Internet

    On 17 Jun 2004 13:37:58 -0700, heruti@lycos.com (Me) wrote:

    >Greets,
    >does anyone know,
    >
    >is it possible to surf to http://www.yahoomail.com
    >or http://wap.oa.yahoo.com
    >and read email off the web browser without a pop3 account (which costs
    >extra on yahoo) - all this with a triband GSM PDA device such as Treo
    >600, Palm Tungsten W, or Motorola Accompli 009?
    >
    >I just want to use it with pay as you go GPRS without any monthly
    >contract.
    >if someone can test this on his PDA & and respond here, it will be a
    >GREAT HELP-or alternatively, some web emulator of a PDA which will
    >enable one to test this...I have searched extensively but didn't find
    >anything working.
    >
    >if anyone can shed some light on this subject
    >
    >I am mostly interested in the Accompli 009 as it is the cheapest one
    >currently (can be had for as low as $114 new in box, and has triband
    >GSM, also unlocked)
    >
    >as far as I know, the browser it uses is openwave 1.1
    >
    >also does anyone know, can this browser be update on the accompli to
    >later versions?
    >
    >thanx.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

    I use an Accompli 009... access Yahoo mail everyday using Tzones and
    the installed browser... doesn't need POP3 (althought if do have POP3
    acct, 009 supports direct access).. Granted is text only.. but that is
    enough for mobile.. If need more I connect to laptop and use my INet
    connection thru GPRS

    scosgt@worldnet.att.net (Bruce Markowitz) wrote in message news:<40d2259f.5780521@news-server.optonline.net>...
    > I can access webmail.att.net off my Axim
    > BUT I can also use the built in mail reader to get it direct.
    > FORGET the wap sites.
    > You can access almost any real web site off a PDA using the T-Mo
    > Internet
    >
    > On 17 Jun 2004 13:37:58 -0700, heruti@lycos.com (Me) wrote:
    >
    > >Greets,
    > >does anyone know,
    > >
    > >is it possible to surf to http://www.yahoomail.com
    > >or http://wap.oa.yahoo.com
    > >and read email off the web browser without a pop3 account (which costs
    > >extra on yahoo) - all this with a triband GSM PDA device such as Treo
    > >600, Palm Tungsten W, or Motorola Accompli 009?
    > >
    > >I just want to use it with pay as you go GPRS without any monthly
    > >contract.
    > >if someone can test this on his PDA & and respond here, it will be a
    > >GREAT HELP-or alternatively, some web emulator of a PDA which will
    > >enable one to test this...I have searched extensively but didn't find
    > >anything working.
    > >
    > >if anyone can shed some light on this subject
    > >
    > >I am mostly interested in the Accompli 009 as it is the cheapest one
    > >currently (can be had for as low as $114 new in box, and has triband
    > >GSM, also unlocked)
    > >
    > >as far as I know, the browser it uses is openwave 1.1
    > >
    > >also does anyone know, can this browser be update on the accompli to
    > >later versions?
    > >
    > >thanx.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

    ff1089@Hotmail.com (Jim) wrote in message news:<e67631d7.0406180658.28f6fe0e@posting.google.com>...
    > I use an Accompli 009... access Yahoo mail everyday using Tzones and
    > the installed browser... doesn't need POP3 (althought if do have POP3
    > acct, 009 supports direct access).. Granted is text only.. but that is
    > enough for mobile.. If need more I connect to laptop and use my INet
    > connection thru GPRS

    thank you for the reply, do you use the accompli exclusively as a
    mobile phone as well?

    or is it too inconvenient (can only use the headset and all that), I
    mean is the headset loud enough to answer a phone call in a busy city
    street...
    and how reliable is the headset (I went through about 10 headsets
    which broke on my old nokia).
    what about battery life, does it really standby for 2-3 days without
    recharging?

    thanks
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

    On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 21:08:46 GMT, Cyrus Afzali <pnsmnyv@lnubb.pbz> wrote:

    >On 17 Jun 2004 13:37:58 -0700, heruti@lycos.com (Me) wrote:
    >
    >>Greets,
    >>does anyone know,
    >>
    >>is it possible to surf to http://www.yahoomail.com
    >>or http://wap.oa.yahoo.com
    >>and read email off the web browser without a pop3 account (which costs
    >>extra on yahoo) - all this with a triband GSM PDA device such as Treo
    >>600, Palm Tungsten W, or Motorola Accompli 009?

    I do it all the time...but Yahoo will change you back to the old interface,
    pre-Javascript, so things will look funny when you return to a PC or Mac.

    I go in through mail.yahoo.ca using the freeware EudoraWeb browser on the
    Tungsten W but YMMV.

    <snip>

    ..

    --
    John Bartley K7AAY http://celdata.cjb.net
    This post quad-ROT-13 encrypted; reading it violates the DMCA.

    I have several handsets...I normally use a Moto Panther P280 but I use
    the Accompli 009 90% of time now

    I use the speaker phone prob most of all, and I use the headset with
    P280 most of time as well so isnt like big deal

    I have 5 diff Moto headsets (including orig one from T193) as well as
    a Jabra set... no probs with any of them

    My 009 is a second hand unlocked from co worker... battery life is
    good.. comparable to P280... I am buying a new battery, more as spare
    then anything at this time

    My work requires me to SMS and call with handset at work... I love the
    fact can place it in cardle to charge, reach over and dial or sms with
    big screen can read without having to pick up unit... and even tho is
    barbie sized (manager words) the keypad makes sms easier then mulit
    key strokes

    heruti@lycos.com (Me) wrote in message news:<2d4c3262.0406181005.80dc626@posting.google.com>...
    > ff1089@Hotmail.com (Jim) wrote in message news:<e67631d7.0406180658.28f6fe0e@posting.google.com>...
    > > I use an Accompli 009... access Yahoo mail everyday using Tzones and
    > > the installed browser... doesn't need POP3 (althought if do have POP3
    > > acct, 009 supports direct access).. Granted is text only.. but that is
    > > enough for mobile.. If need more I connect to laptop and use my INet
    > > connection thru GPRS
    > >

    > thank you for the reply, do you use the accompli exclusively as a
    > mobile phone as well?
    >
    > or is it too inconvenient (can only use the headset and all that), I
    > mean is the headset loud enough to answer a phone call in a busy city
    > street...
    > and how reliable is the headset (I went through about 10 headsets
    > which broke on my old nokia).
    > what about battery life, does it really standby for 2-3 days without
    > recharging?
    >
    > thanks

Sprint PCS Web Browser PDA Internet Service Providers