X3 has reached BETA!

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

What do you want in a space sim Nats?

The technology involved in making a space sim with excellent *gameplay*
is not too overwhelming for an indie developer, so I think your best
chance of getting what you want is getting involved with a promising
indie product.

My game, Axiomatic, represents a bit of a clean slate in terms of
gameplay. Right now it's just good clean space fragging fun, but the
important upside of this is that great ideas from the community can
make it into the next version!

Tell me your great ideas: alphageek@ten-ninjas.com
Or check out the demo: http://ten-ninjas.com

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

So?

Its a pretty sad lookout in space sim games or any other kind of sims for
that matter, when you start to look forward to an 'X' game. PC games
development hasnt been so bad for years. I see these last few years as a
large black hole in PC gaming - and games like 'X' are doing nothing to
remedy the situation. Stop giving these guys your money for goodnessake!
Then we might actually get a space sim worth buying.

Nats

"Ceowulf" <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet> wrote in message
> www.egosoft.com
>
> Its on its way guys!
>
> Ceo-

Arcturus

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

No multiplayer. Pass

--
Arcturus

"Arcturus" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> No multiplayer. Pass
>
> --
> Arcturus

Of which I am the many others are extremely grateful, I probably _wouldn't_
get it if it was multi player. Why ruin a good game with other players?

Ceo-

"Nats" <nstutt@nstutt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> So?
>
> Its a pretty sad lookout in space sim games or any other kind of sims for
> that matter, when you start to look forward to an 'X' game. PC games
> development hasnt been so bad for years. I see these last few years as a
> large black hole in PC gaming - and games like 'X' are doing nothing to
> remedy the situation. Stop giving these guys your money for goodnessake!
> Then we might actually get a space sim worth buying.
>
> Nats

Thanks for the opinion, like arseholes they are I guess.

Anyway, this is a space sim group, and the X games are space sims, and many
people enjoy them. So instead of posting an inane response just go check it
out. The game has been improved on by the people who played the first two
games.

I.e. the fans had direct imput into MOST aspects of this game, egosoft
formed a group called DevNet and let fans with scripting/economic etc
experience in the X games in it. They've all contributed and frankly I think
this game is going to be fantastic. Larger, more free form sectors, better
scale aspects due to a bloody good looking engine, better economy, in fact
this is a major thing, the economy is going to be much more on the "alive"
side of things than it was in the previous X's. Other NPC's will be in
competition, direct and indirect with the PC, they will be trying to form
their own empires, explore, capture ships, and so on. You can choose to
interact with these NPC's by taking them on or you can ignore them and just
play the plot missions.

Anyway, thats this arseholes opinion :)

Ceo-

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Quoth The Raven: Arcturus <nospam@nospam.com> in
4302c9ac$0$78593$c30e37c6@lon-reader.news.telstra.net
> No multiplayer. Pass

i never play mp online, only at lans, and this isnt a popular lan title
--
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of
fools. Let's start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

Take out the _CURSING to reply to me

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Quoth The Raven: Arcturus <nospam@nospam.com> in
4302c9ac$0$78593$c30e37c6@lon-reader.news.telstra.net
> No multiplayer. Pass

with MP this game will be just another PvP, no thanks

"Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 17:04:18 +0800, "Ceowulf" <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet>
> wrote:

>>I tend to agree with you on most of the things you've said. I did like the
>>X's though I guess, and X3 is just once again I guess twanging that
>>Frontier:Elite desire. I personally think you will still buy it, egosoft
>>isn't a huge company, I dont think there are as many suits as you think
>>there would be, personally it seems like a company that is heavily in
>>contact with their fans via their forums etc, and one that just wants to
>>produce a good game for them.
>
> I suspect that X3 is really only going to be X-Tension 2.5. Got burnt once
> with X2 so I doubt I will get this one without a playable demo. Plus if
> the
> systems are yet another tiny little grid around which nothing happens I
> will
> pass regardless.

Ok, well I will be buying the game, and I am at least semi literate, I will
write up a review once its up. I know it may be biased but I'm generally
pretty critical as well, if something is annoying me then its annoying me
and no bias will get rid of that.

So... watch this space :)

Ceo-

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 07:15:47 +0800, "Ceowulf" <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet> wrote:

>"Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 17:04:18 +0800, "Ceowulf" <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet>
>> wrote:
>
>>>I tend to agree with you on most of the things you've said. I did like the
>>>X's though I guess, and X3 is just once again I guess twanging that
>>>Frontier:Elite desire. I personally think you will still buy it, egosoft
>>>isn't a huge company, I dont think there are as many suits as you think
>>>there would be, personally it seems like a company that is heavily in
>>>contact with their fans via their forums etc, and one that just wants to
>>>produce a good game for them.
>>
>> I suspect that X3 is really only going to be X-Tension 2.5. Got burnt once
>> with X2 so I doubt I will get this one without a playable demo. Plus if
>> the
>> systems are yet another tiny little grid around which nothing happens I
>> will
>> pass regardless.
>
>Ok, well I will be buying the game, and I am at least semi literate, I will
>write up a review once its up. I know it may be biased but I'm generally
>pretty critical as well, if something is annoying me then its annoying me
>and no bias will get rid of that.
>
>So... watch this space :)

I just had a newsletter come through from Egosoft and some of the new
screenshots look pretty good but not a single one they have released that I
have seen show the user interface. There is one interesting shot which looks
like the ship is in low orbit or the planet is really massive. But I still
think there will be roughly flat square grid, the stations will be located on
or around that axis with maybe a gate at each cardinal direction and planetary
bodies will be far off in the distance being nothing more than visual fluff.
Hope I'm wrong of course but there you go. Come on Egosoft, make my day! ;-)

> I can explain what things X needs to be great. And they all revolve around
> simple changes to the gameplay. But there just doesnt seem to be anyone in
> the development team who seems to see eye to eye with me. Instead of
> adding the things that I feel would be crucial they instead tinker with
> the commerce system or add larger space stations. These are things I do
> not care about personally. What I really want to do is have the
> flexibility to fly anywhere in the universe in a semi-realistic(!) manner
> and fly down to the planet surfaces and land myself. I want there to be a
> challenge in actually flying the craft whilst avoiding Spacial phenomenon.
> I want to be able to learn some skills that will make me better at the
> game over time. Elite had these kinds of things, that are solid, fun
> gameplay features. I cant see any of this kind of thing in the X games.
> They are games for another type of person that I am, and every time I buy
> one I am hoping that this time just perhaps they have got it right. So far
> they havent got it even near. I'll not be buying anymore. Its sad that
> this is the only space simulation in development it really is, but Im not
> funding developers with such limited vision. Thats how I feel.

Hey Nats, sorry to be flogging a dead horse here but I just thought of
something that might make you appreciate the X Universe a bit more.

No I'm not holding my breath, but I've just finished reading some fan
fiction by a _very_ good author. He has written 3 novel sized stories (with
one more to go I think) about the X Universe and some characters in it. His
method of writing is good, but what's better is the background he provides
into the X Universe. He provides us information about the sectors, and
brings into the light concepts like deep space, and the relations the
sectors have in regards to their solar systems. How the majority of the
known species don't even know where they are in relation to the galaxy. How
the Xenon has interstellar capability and has fleets of capital ships
lurking out beyond the sectors, deep in space.

He adds some great new concepts to it, and as far as I can tell they meld
fantastically into the world we play in. To me reading his work made me want
to jump back into X2 simply because it seems so much more developed.

The website that you can find them on (and no I've nothing to do with it and
there are no banners!) is:

http://x-universe.kiwi.nu/

The ones you want to look at is Traders Tale by Mercenary, the rest are good
too but the TT are by far the most professional and well written.

Anyway, just thought I would try to help alleviate that empty feeling you
mentioned. There is a great deal of life and background to the X Universe,
it just has to be found.

Ceo-