Interesting Bug In Palm Desktop

June 17, 2004 12:49:19 AM

This has existed since Palm Desktop 3.0. I have made Palm aware of it
through each version.

Launch Palm Desktop (any version) and go to Calendar and choose the Month
tab so you can see the whole month.

Press the "t" key (this works on most other keys too).

A New Event dialog box appear with the "t" in the event box. Now cancel the
event.

Do a find "CTRL F" for the "t". Notice the year (1969). Now try clicking on
"Go To", nothing happens. Try going to the year directly but Palm Desktop
will not show anything prior to 1970.

The only way that I have found to remove this accidental entry is to go to
the year in the PDA itself and delete the event and resync.

When I first complained about this to Palm they told that the next version
of Palm Desktop would be a rewrite from the ground up. Why would they
rewrite it with the same bug?!. Me thinks they are copying old code.

I can thank Intuits Quicken for this discovery. In Quickens calendar view
pressing "t" takes you to the current date. Years ago while in Palm Desktops
calendar view I automatically pressed the "t" thinking it would take me to
the current date. After canceling the event, I synced my Palm and an error
appeared indicating that it found entries that where to old. It does not do
that anymore, at least on my T3 but it still records an event.

Has Anyone Noticed This Strange Behavior?
Jim
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 9:30:57 AM

The bug seems to still exist. I have a T3 and Palm Desktop 4.1.2.

When I followed your procedure the desktop crashed when I tried to scroll
back to 1970. When I fired up the desktop after the crash the Find did not
show the event as being in the calendar. When I synch'd with my T3 I get
nothing in 1969.

Curious

Cheers
TC

"Jim M M" <Pete_McCool@REMOVE_FOR_SPAM_Yahoo.com> wrote in message
> This has existed since Palm Desktop 3.0. I have made Palm aware of it
> through each version.
>
> Launch Palm Desktop (any version) and go to Calendar and choose the Month
> tab so you can see the whole month.
>
> Press the "t" key (this works on most other keys too).
>
> A New Event dialog box appear with the "t" in the event box. Now cancel
the
> event.
>
> Do a find "CTRL F" for the "t". Notice the year (1969). Now try clicking
on
> "Go To", nothing happens. Try going to the year directly but Palm Desktop
> will not show anything prior to 1970.
>
> The only way that I have found to remove this accidental entry is to go to
> the year in the PDA itself and delete the event and resync.
>
> When I first complained about this to Palm they told that the next version
> of Palm Desktop would be a rewrite from the ground up. Why would they
> rewrite it with the same bug?!. Me thinks they are copying old code.
>
> I can thank Intuits Quicken for this discovery. In Quickens calendar view
> pressing "t" takes you to the current date. Years ago while in Palm
Desktops
> calendar view I automatically pressed the "t" thinking it would take me to
> the current date. After canceling the event, I synced my Palm and an error
> appeared indicating that it found entries that where to old. It does not
do
> that anymore, at least on my T3 but it still records an event.
>

> Has Anyone Noticed This Strange Behavior?
> Jim

Anonymous
June 17, 2004 11:40:23 PM

Perhaps Palm Desktop has Windows bug desease. Thank God for Linux and
JPilot.

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 20:49:19 -0700, Jim M M

--
Thank a veteran