Thrown off 3000ad forums, was the only honest guy there!

Last response: in Video Games
Share
September 11, 2005 6:53:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Apparently Derek thought that Starforce and online activation were
necessary to protect his latest revision of his game...you know the same
game he's repackaged four times.
I said on his 'state-controlled' forum that I thought that was a
bone-headed decision, and that I would keep my money. That was too much
honesty for Derek and away I went. Which was fine, he has waaay too much
control over every aspect thata his product is enjoyed. He claims ownership
of any fan-fiction written, he's the absolute head of the multiplayer
community, where players have to join 'fleets' in order to have access to
multiplayer servers. If he doesnt like something a player does on one of
'his' servers he orders the 'fleet commander' to boot him.
Ive always seen these overly-controlling, pschyo tendencies that Ive
always read about him, but tried to overlook for whatever reason, I just
cant anymore. Ive seen him break promise after promise, claim bugs were
fixed when they werent, move features into the next version saying they were
never planned even though they were shown on the game box.
I totally see why his forum underlings are labeled Toadies, they call
him Boss, Jesus what happened to these guys spine?
I had an idea back when Derek claimed BCM would still have
multiplayer, that I would setup my own web page and game server. Call it
something like "Free-cruiser: Because space is too big for bullshit".
September 12, 2005 2:54:51 AM

"me" <me@getlost.com> wrote in message news:txXUe.633$YI6.308@trnddc05...
> Apparently Derek thought that Starforce and online activation were necessary
> to protect his latest revision of his game...you know the same game he's
> repackaged four times.

Activation?! What's it called this time? Batalcruzer Vista? =D

// Xan, Ph.D.
// I worship His Shadow.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 4:34:21 AM

"Lemming" <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> But if you think that it's OK to criticise someone who might just be
> the world's premier black games developer, just because you aren't up
> to scratch in the virtual universe that is GALCOM, then I can only
> say: I pity you.

What flavor KoolAide does Mr. Smart make you drink?

good God man. I've not seen someone so brainwashed and wrapped
up in the fanboy blanket in a long, long time. The original poster,
and Bill, made excellent and accurate posts about Mr. Smart's rude,
childish and narcissistic behavior. You have to be blind not to see
it for yourself.

The game may be improving, but Mr. Smart is a horses ass, and
anyone with half a brain can see that. So my question to you is,
what happened to the other half of your brain?
September 12, 2005 4:38:06 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

> But people like you just don't "get it". You are too wrapped up in
> your own little real-life world to understand that there is more to
> life than paying the mortgage and feeding the kids. There is a war to
> be fought, and every moment you spend on those petty real-world
> affairs takes you away from the action; deprives OUR space navy of a
> fighter. But don't you worry your icke head about that; after all,
> you are only an ensign, and not a good one at that.
>
> But if you think that it's OK to criticise someone who might just be
> the world's premier black games developer, just because you aren't up
> to scratch in the virtual universe that is GALCOM, then I can only
> say: I pity you.
>
> déjà plonké
>
> Lemming
> --
> Derek Smart's PR in waiting.

Are you listening to yourself?
Please understand that I dont give a damn who you are, or claim to be.
But life is too short for bullshit and Ive had my fill of it from derek's
antics. And if you think its not OK to criticise a game developer then it is
you who should be pitied.
He's not Jesus, he's a programmer who keeps releasing the same game over and
over with an occasional face lift. But people have caught on and each title
receives less press and notice than the one before it. The game, and he are
a non-issue.
September 12, 2005 5:42:29 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 00:34:21 GMT, "Jim Vieira"
<WhiplashrAT@wiDOT.rrDOT.com> wrote:

>"Lemming" <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> But if you think that it's OK to criticise someone who might just be
>> the world's premier black games developer, just because you aren't up
>> to scratch in the virtual universe that is GALCOM, then I can only
>> say: I pity you.
>
>What flavor KoolAide does Mr. Smart make you drink?
>
>good God man. I've not seen someone so brainwashed and wrapped
>up in the fanboy blanket in a long, long time. The original poster,
>and Bill, made excellent and accurate posts about Mr. Smart's rude,
>childish and narcissistic behavior. You have to be blind not to see
>it for yourself.
>
>The game may be improving, but Mr. Smart is a horses ass, and
>anyone with half a brain can see that. So my question to you is,
>what happened to the other half of your brain?

Sometimes I despair of what people have become. If you can't see the
GOOD that Derek Smart is doing, then you need the other half of your
brain removed, and flushed down the toilet like the first half.

Why can't you people see what is occurring? There is a WAR going on,
and all you can do is whinge about whether asteroids are intelligent,
or the stars are octagonal or dodecahedral; don't be such fools - what
is important is that the enemy are encroaching on our systems; the
threat is not just a fantasy - it's immediate; it's here, and it's
here now.

BUt that's OK. Sit on your backside. Let the Real Men do the job;
you probably aren't up to it anyway. We'll win the war without you.
I'll post you a white feather when I get home.

Lemming
--
Derek Smart's PR in waiting.
September 12, 2005 5:50:18 AM

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 00:38:06 GMT, "me" <me@getlost.com> wrote:

>> But people like you just don't "get it". You are too wrapped up in
>> your own little real-life world to understand that there is more to
>> life than paying the mortgage and feeding the kids. There is a war to
>> be fought, and every moment you spend on those petty real-world
>> affairs takes you away from the action; deprives OUR space navy of a
>> fighter. But don't you worry your icke head about that; after all,
>> you are only an ensign, and not a good one at that.
>>
>> But if you think that it's OK to criticise someone who might just be
>> the world's premier black games developer, just because you aren't up
>> to scratch in the virtual universe that is GALCOM, then I can only
>> say: I pity you.
>>
>> déjà plonké
>>
>> Lemming
>> --
>> Derek Smart's PR in waiting.
>
>Are you listening to yourself?
>Please understand that I dont give a damn who you are, or claim to be.
>But life is too short for bullshit and Ive had my fill of it from derek's
>antics. And if you think its not OK to criticise a game developer then it is
>you who should be pitied.
>He's not Jesus, he's a programmer who keeps releasing the same game over and
>over with an occasional face lift. But people have caught on and each title
>receives less press and notice than the one before it. The game, and he are
>a non-issue.

I claim to be nothing, I *am* nothing, compared to Derek Smart. It is
in His Universe that mortals like me fight, and die, to keep people
like you safe. Think about that for a moment - you sit by the
fireside, warm and comfortable, while others do the fighting for you.
Doesn't that make you feel ashamed?

Ensign, it is not too late - the Supreme Commander is all-forgiving;
he knows that sometimes egos - even small egos like yours - sometimes
get in the way of reason. Go back to Him, explain that you
momentarily lost your way, but that you are now more humble, and ready
to take on The Enemy with as much spunk and gusto as any other
crewman. I am sure that in His magnificence He will permit you to
crew a fighter on one of the capital ships around Sol.

Lemming
--
Derek Smart's PR in waiting.
September 12, 2005 5:50:19 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Haha
Damn Lemming, Im starting to like you. :)
September 12, 2005 5:58:28 AM

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 00:54:43 GMT, "me" <me@getlost.com> wrote:

>Haha
>Damn Lemming, Im starting to like you. :)

Learn to quote, moron.

Lemming
--
Derk Smart's PR in waiting.
September 12, 2005 5:58:29 AM

> Learn to quote, moron.

*BING*

// Xan, Ph.D.
// You are obsolete.
September 12, 2005 6:10:07 AM

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 01:01:52 GMT, "Xan" <me@1.com> wrote:

>"Lemming" <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Learn to quote, moron.
>
>*BING*

déjà plonké

Lemming
--
Derek Smart's PR in waiting.
September 12, 2005 6:10:08 AM

news:o 9l9i1pf9mn9rhl7262u73dvi8730dc4fe@4ax.com...
> déjà plonké

Your puny 8-bit chars cannot harNO CARRIER
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 6:19:32 AM

"Jim Vieira" <WhiplashrAT@wiDOT.rrDOT.com> wrote in message
> "Lemming" <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> > But if you think that it's OK to criticise someone who might just be
> > the world's premier black games developer, just because you aren't up
> > to scratch in the virtual universe that is GALCOM, then I can only
> > say: I pity you.
>
> What flavor KoolAide does Mr. Smart make you drink?
>
> good God man. I've not seen someone so brainwashed and wrapped
> up in the fanboy blanket in a long, long time. The original poster,
> and Bill, made excellent and accurate posts about Mr. Smart's rude,
> childish and narcissistic behavior. You have to be blind not to see
> it for yourself.
>
> The game may be improving, but Mr. Smart is a horses ass, and
> anyone with half a brain can see that. So my question to you is,
> what happened to the other half of your brain?

Jim, that's the funniest post that I've read in a long time. Great job!!!
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 6:22:27 AM

"me" <me@getlost.com> wrote in message news:o 54Ve.4838$Hs6.3634@trnddc07...

> > But people like you just don't "get it". You are too wrapped up in
> > your own little real-life world to understand that there is more to
> > life than paying the mortgage and feeding the kids. There is a war to
> > be fought, and every moment you spend on those petty real-world
> > affairs takes you away from the action; deprives OUR space navy of a
> > fighter. But don't you worry your icke head about that; after all,
> > you are only an ensign, and not a good one at that.
> >
> > But if you think that it's OK to criticise someone who might just be
> > the world's premier black games developer, just because you aren't up
> > to scratch in the virtual universe that is GALCOM, then I can only
> > say: I pity you.
> >
> > déjà plonké
> >
> > Lemming
> > --
> > Derek Smart's PR in waiting.
>
> Are you listening to yourself?
> Please understand that I dont give a damn who you are, or claim to be.
> But life is too short for bullshit and Ive had my fill of it from derek's
> antics. And if you think its not OK to criticise a game developer then it
is
> you who should be pitied.

(This looks like the perfect spot to stick in the statement about if you
think that you can write a better game then you can complain.)

> He's not Jesus, he's a programmer who keeps releasing the same game over
and
> over with an occasional face lift. But people have caught on and each
title
> receives less press and notice than the one before it. The game, and he
are
> a non-issue.

Mr. Lemming, I applaud you!!!
September 12, 2005 6:58:52 AM

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 01:49:26 GMT, "Xan" <me@1.com> wrote:

>"Lemming" <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>news:o 9l9i1pf9mn9rhl7262u73dvi8730dc4fe@4ax.com...
>> déjà plonké
>
>Your puny 8-bit chars cannot harNO CARRIER

So die all those who oppose GALCOM.

Who's next?

Lemming
--
Derek Smart's PR in waiting.
Anonymous

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 01:42:29 +0100, Lemming wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 00:34:21 GMT, "Jim Vieira"
> <WhiplashrAT@wiDOT.rrDOT.com> wrote:
>
>>"Lemming" <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> But if you think that it's OK to criticise someone who might just be
>>> the world's premier black games developer, just because you aren't up
>>> to scratch in the virtual universe that is GALCOM, then I can only
>>> say: I pity you.
>>
>>What flavor KoolAide does Mr. Smart make you drink?
>>
>>good God man. I've not seen someone so brainwashed and wrapped
>>up in the fanboy blanket in a long, long time. The original poster,
>>and Bill, made excellent and accurate posts about Mr. Smart's rude,
>>childish and narcissistic behavior. You have to be blind not to see
>>it for yourself.
>>
>>The game may be improving, but Mr. Smart is a horses ass, and
>>anyone with half a brain can see that. So my question to you is,
>>what happened to the other half of your brain?
>>

> Sometimes I despair of what people have become. If you can't see the
> GOOD that Derek Smart is doing, then you need the other half of your
> brain removed, and flushed down the toilet like the first half.
>
> Why can't you people see what is occurring? There is a WAR going on,
> and all you can do is whinge about whether asteroids are intelligent,
> or the stars are octagonal or dodecahedral; don't be such fools - what
> is important is that the enemy are encroaching on our systems; the
> threat is not just a fantasy - it's immediate; it's here, and it's
> here now.
>
> BUt that's OK. Sit on your backside. Let the Real Men do the job;
> you probably aren't up to it anyway. We'll win the war without you.
> I'll post you a white feather when I get home.

Lemming: you are my hero. I'm going to change the name of all my cats to
"Lemming". Then, I'm going to buy 21 stars on staregistry.com and name
them all "Lemming".

I'm a bit disappointed that you didn't answer the question about the flavor
of the KoolAid, but I assume you are too busy "fighting the good fight" to
be bothered with such trivialities. Having said that: it's grape, isn't
it? I hope so: I've already ordered a case.

Bret
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 5:35:48 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

"Rules, Policies, and Disclaimers
If you agree to abide by our rules below, please press the Agree
button, which will enable you to register on this message board. If you
do not agree to these terms, press the Cancel button.

THIS SITE IS PRIVATE AND COPYRIGHT PROPERTY OF 3000AD INC

This board is a PRIVATE invitation only board. Owning the game, gives
you NO special priviledges on this board.

After registering to post and while waiting for approval, read these
bulletins.

Some vanity email address domains are banned from this site. If you are
using one of these, you would need to register using your primary ISP
assigned email address.

In addition to NOT allowing some vanity (free email), we will still
delete your posts (you must be registered in order to post) and your
record at the FIRST hint of an infraction of our rules. And we will
take your IP mask and ban the ENTIRE domain subnet.

We have to take this stance because too many online game sites are a
haven for disruptors and flamewars. Neither of which are tolerated
here.

We DO check this stuff. We check the name, alias, ISP, even the IP. If
any of this looks bogus or is even linked in ANY way to someone we know
to be a detractor, distruptor, you're not getting in. PERIOD. And if by
some fluke you DO get in, once we do our daily registration runs, you
will be discovered and removed.

That's that. Now read the rest of this blurb please.

Considering the real-time nature of this bulletin board, it is
impossible for us to review messages or confirm the validity of
information posted. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the
contents of this BB and are not responsible for any messages posted. We
do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of
any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.
The messages express the views of the author of the message, not
necessarily the views of this BB. Any user who feels that a posted
message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by
email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will
make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we
determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however,
so please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular
messages immediately.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this
BB to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory,
inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane,
sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or
otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is
owned by you or by this BB.

Although we do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not
responsible for the content of any of these messages, we reserve the
right to delete any message for any or no reason whatsoever. You remain
solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to
indemnify and hold harmless this BB (and any owners of this BB) and
their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your
message(s).

We also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever
information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal
action arising from any message posted by you.

Please note that advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and
solicitations are inappropriate in this BB.

Also, many domains that offer vanity email address (deja.com etc), will
not be allowed to register to post on this board. If you want to post,
you will have to register using your primary ISP. The only vanity
emails allowed are yahoo and hotmail. This is to prevent troublemakers
who have been banned, from creating new aliases and re-registering on
the site. "

-

The Supreme Commander has spoken.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 6:58:57 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 02:22:27 GMT, "Bill Huffman" <bhuffma1@san.rr.com>
wrote:

>"me" <me@getlost.com> wrote in message news:o 54Ve.4838$Hs6.3634@trnddc07...
>>

>> > But people like you just don't "get it". You are too wrapped up in
>> > your own little real-life world to understand that there is more to
>> > life than paying the mortgage and feeding the kids. There is a war to
>> > be fought, and every moment you spend on those petty real-world
>> > affairs takes you away from the action; deprives OUR space navy of a
>> > fighter. But don't you worry your icke head about that; after all,
>> > you are only an ensign, and not a good one at that.
>> >
>> > But if you think that it's OK to criticise someone who might just be
>> > the world's premier black games developer, just because you aren't up
>> > to scratch in the virtual universe that is GALCOM, then I can only
>> > say: I pity you.
>> >
>> > déjà plonké
>> >
>> > Lemming
>> > --
>> > Derek Smart's PR in waiting.
>>
>> Are you listening to yourself?
>> Please understand that I dont give a damn who you are, or claim to be.
>> But life is too short for bullshit and Ive had my fill of it from derek's
>> antics. And if you think its not OK to criticise a game developer then it
>is
>> you who should be pitied.
>
>(This looks like the perfect spot to stick in the statement about if you
>think that you can write a better game then you can complain.)
>
>> He's not Jesus, he's a programmer who keeps releasing the same game over
>and
>> over with an occasional face lift. But people have caught on and each
>title
>> receives less press and notice than the one before it. The game, and he
>are
>> a non-issue.
>
>Mr. Lemming, I applaud you!!!

Sock puppet.

br d
September 13, 2005 3:58:01 AM

On 12 Sep 2005 13:35:48 -0700, VT2Dancougar@gmail.com wrote:

> [...]
>indemnify and hold harmless this BB (and any owners of this BB) and
>their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your
>message(s).
>
>We also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever
>information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal
>action arising from any message posted by you.
>
>Please note that advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and
>solicitations are inappropriate in this BB.
>
>Also, many domains that offer vanity email address (deja.com etc), will
>not be allowed to register to post on this board. If you want to post,
>you will have to register using your primary ISP. The only vanity
>emails allowed are yahoo and hotmail. This is to prevent troublemakers
>who have been banned, from creating new aliases and re-registering on

Hear, hear!

Lemming
--
Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.
September 13, 2005 4:06:44 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 11:23:02 -0700, Bret Ripley <ripley@olywa.net>
wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 01:42:29 +0100, Lemming wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 00:34:21 GMT, "Jim Vieira"
>> <WhiplashrAT@wiDOT.rrDOT.com> wrote:
>>
>>>"Lemming" <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>
>>>What flavor KoolAide does Mr. Smart make you drink?
>>>
>>>good God man. I've not seen someone so brainwashed and wrapped
>>>up in the fanboy blanket in a long, long time. The original poster,
>>>and Bill, made excellent and accurate posts about Mr. Smart's rude,
>>>childish and narcissistic behavior. You have to be blind not to see
>>>it for yourself.
>>>
>>>The game may be improving, but Mr. Smart is a horses ass, and
>>>anyone with half a brain can see that. So my question to you is,
>>>what happened to the other half of your brain?
>>>

>> Sometimes I despair of what people have become. If you can't see the
>> GOOD that Derek Smart is doing, then you need the other half of your
>> brain removed, and flushed down the toilet like the first half.
>>
>> Why can't you people see what is occurring? There is a WAR going on,
>> and all you can do is whinge about whether asteroids are intelligent,
>> or the stars are octagonal or dodecahedral; don't be such fools - what
>> is important is that the enemy are encroaching on our systems; the
>> threat is not just a fantasy - it's immediate; it's here, and it's
>> here now.
>>
>> BUt that's OK. Sit on your backside. Let the Real Men do the job;
>> you probably aren't up to it anyway. We'll win the war without you.
>> I'll post you a white feather when I get home.
>
>Lemming: you are my hero. I'm going to change the name of all my cats to
>"Lemming". Then, I'm going to buy 21 stars on staregistry.com and name
>them all "Lemming".

Let's not go overboard. I am but a simple matelo, fighting in
GALCOM's glorious navy, to repel the enemy who seek to destroy us and
our way of life. I am certainly not worthy of such praise. Save your
accolades for our leader, Derek Smart; He who we know as "Supreme
Commander."

>I'm a bit disappointed that you didn't answer the question about the flavor
>of the KoolAid, but I assume you are too busy "fighting the good fight" to
>be bothered with such trivialities. Having said that: it's grape, isn't
>it? I hope so: I've already ordered a case.

Grape is a fine armament; the ships of yore used it to good effect to
disable the enemy, tearing down their sails and cleaning the foul
Spanish scum from the decks. Nowadays, of course, our weaponry is
much more sophisticated. But yes: grape is fine.

Lemming
--
Derek Smart's PR in waiting.
Anonymous

Lemming <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> writes:

> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 11:23:02 -0700, Bret Ripley <ripley@olywa.net>
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 01:42:29 +0100, Lemming wrote:

>>> Sometimes I despair of what people have become. If you can't see the
>>> GOOD that Derek Smart is doing, then you need the other half of your
>>> brain removed, and flushed down the toilet like the first half.
>>>
>>> Why can't you people see what is occurring? There is a WAR going on,
>>> and all you can do is whinge about whether asteroids are intelligent,
>>> or the stars are octagonal or dodecahedral; don't be such fools - what
>>> is important is that the enemy are encroaching on our systems; the
>>> threat is not just a fantasy - it's immediate; it's here, and it's
>>> here now.
>>>
>>> BUt that's OK. Sit on your backside. Let the Real Men do the job;
>>> you probably aren't up to it anyway. We'll win the war without you.
>>> I'll post you a white feather when I get home.
>>
>>Lemming: you are my hero. I'm going to change the name of all my cats to
>>"Lemming". Then, I'm going to buy 21 stars on staregistry.com and name
>>them all "Lemming".
>
> Let's not go overboard. I am but a simple matelo, fighting in
> GALCOM's glorious navy, to repel the enemy who seek to destroy us and
> our way of life. I am certainly not worthy of such praise. Save your
> accolades for our leader, Derek Smart; He who we know as "Supreme
> Commander."

the is Matelot, FOOL, you are hereby banned for being a know-nothing
illiterate northern cretin ;)

--
James jamesk[at]homeric[dot]co[dot]uk

I was hitchhiking the other day, and a hearse stopped. I said,
"No thanks - I'm not going that far." (Steven Wright)
September 14, 2005 2:23:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 00:48:18 +0100, Kegs <james.keasley@gmail.invalid>
wrote:

>Lemming <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
>> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 11:23:02 -0700, Bret Ripley <ripley@olywa.net>
>> wrote:

>>>Lemming: you are my hero. I'm going to change the name of all my cats to
>>>"Lemming". Then, I'm going to buy 21 stars on staregistry.com and name
>>>them all "Lemming".
>>
>> Let's not go overboard. I am but a simple matelo, fighting in
>> GALCOM's glorious navy, to repel the enemy who seek to destroy us and
>> our way of life. I am certainly not worthy of such praise. Save your
>> accolades for our leader, Derek Smart; He who we know as "Supreme
>> Commander."
>
>the is Matelot, FOOL, you are hereby banned for being a know-nothing
>illiterate northern cretin ;)

I may be an know-nothing illiterate Northern cretin, and I may have
mistyped matelot, but at least my sentences are grammatical.

So I'll see your Matelot and raise you a "the is".

>>>I'm a bit disappointed that you didn't answer the question about the flavor
>>>of the KoolAid, but I assume you are too busy "fighting the good fight" to
>>>be bothered with such trivialities. Having said that: it's grape, isn't
>>>it? I hope so: I've already ordered a case.
>>
>> Grape is a fine armament; the ships of yore used it to good effect to
>> disable the enemy, tearing down their sails and cleaning the foul
>> Spanish scum from the decks. Nowadays, of course, our weaponry is
>> much more sophisticated. But yes: grape is fine.
>>
>> Lemming
>> --
>> Derek Smart's PR in waiting.

And please get a newsreader that understands signature delimiters.
It's frustrating having to edit them out all the time because idiots
like you choose to use broken software.

Lemming
--
Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 3:29:58 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Lemming <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> writes:

> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 00:48:18 +0100, Kegs <james.keasley@gmail.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>>Lemming <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> writes:

>>> Let's not go overboard. I am but a simple matelo, fighting in
>>> GALCOM's glorious navy, to repel the enemy who seek to destroy us and
>>> our way of life. I am certainly not worthy of such praise. Save your
>>> accolades for our leader, Derek Smart; He who we know as "Supreme
>>> Commander."
>>
>>the is Matelot, FOOL, you are hereby banned for being a know-nothing
>>illiterate northern cretin ;)
>
> I may be an know-nothing illiterate Northern cretin, and I may have
> mistyped matelot, but at least my sentences are grammatical.
>
> So I'll see your Matelot and raise you a "the is".

Its the compulsory (deliberate) mistake that should be in any spelling
flame ;)

Well that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.

--
James jamesk[at]homeric[dot]co[dot]uk

"...And so it begins." (Amb. Kosh, B5 "Chrysalis")
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 3:32:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Lemming <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> writes:

>>> Lemming
>>> --
>>> Derek Smart's PR in waiting.
>
> And please get a newsreader that understands signature delimiters.
> It's frustrating having to edit them out all the time because idiots
> like you choose to use broken software.

Emacs gnus understands them fine, it just doesn't bother autostripping
them, and I haven't got around to writing the lisp to do it myself.

--
James jamesk[at]homeric[dot]co[dot]uk

"Never play cards with a man called Doc. Never eat at a place called Mom's.
Never sleep with a woman whose troubles are worse than your own." Nelson Algren
September 14, 2005 5:43:52 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Hi Lemming. What is your user name over at 3000AD? I'm a regular
poster there and I haven't seen you.

Commander Valiant
Fleet Overlord
GCV Destruction (BC MkIII)

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 23:58:01 +0100, Lemming
> [...]

>>indemnify and hold harmless this BB (and any owners of this BB) and
>>their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your
>>message(s).
>>
>>We also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever
>>information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal
>>action arising from any message posted by you.
>>
>>Please note that advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and
>>solicitations are inappropriate in this BB.
>>
>>Also, many domains that offer vanity email address (deja.com etc), will
>>not be allowed to register to post on this board. If you want to post,
>>you will have to register using your primary ISP. The only vanity
>>emails allowed are yahoo and hotmail. This is to prevent troublemakers
>>who have been banned, from creating new aliases and re-registering on

Anonymous
September 14, 2005 7:35:55 PM

"Valiant" <fv111@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hi Lemming. What is your user name over at 3000AD? I'm a regular
> poster there and I haven't seen you.
>
> Commander Valiant
> Fleet Overlord
> GCV Destruction (BC MkIII)

Some information must be kept confidential.
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 7:35:56 PM

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:35:55 GMT, Bill Huffman wrote:

> "Valiant" <fv111@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Lemming. What is your user name over at 3000AD? I'm a regular
>> poster there and I haven't seen you.
>>
>> Commander Valiant
>> Fleet Overlord
>> GCV Destruction (BC MkIII)
>
> Some information must be kept confidential.

Agreed. I'm pretty sure I can't be trusted with that information.

Bret
September 15, 2005 5:58:23 AM

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 13:43:52 +0100, Valiant <fv111@aol.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>>indemnify and hold harmless this BB (and any owners of this BB) and
>>>their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your
>>>message(s).
>>>
>>>We also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever
>>>information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal
>>>action arising from any message posted by you.
>>>
>>>Please note that advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and
>>>solicitations are inappropriate in this BB.
>>>
>>>Also, many domains that offer vanity email address (deja.com etc), will
>>>not be allowed to register to post on this board. If you want to post,
>>>you will have to register using your primary ISP. The only vanity
>>>emails allowed are yahoo and hotmail. This is to prevent troublemakers
>>>who have been banned, from creating new aliases and re-registering on

Your security clearance is not yet of a sufficient level for me to
reveal that information.

And please don't top-post.

Lemming
--
Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.
September 15, 2005 1:40:04 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Why shouldn't I top post?

Commander Valiant
Fleet Overlord
GCV Destruction (BC MkIII)
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 1:40:05 PM

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 09:40:04 +0100, Valiant <fv111@aol.com> wrote:

>Why shouldn't I top post?
>
>Commander Valiant
>Fleet Overlord
>GCV Destruction (BC MkIII)

Back in the old days (BC3000) the SC was inundated with so much fan
mail and forum posts that it became very tedious for him to wade
through a thread when everyone was top posting. He soon declared that
top posters would be banned. We do not top post here as a courtesy to
him.

Allan
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 6:31:27 PM

"Allan Parent" <allanp@nospamforme123.charter.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 09:40:04 +0100, Valiant <fv111@aol.com> wrote:
>
> >Why shouldn't I top post?
> >
> >Commander Valiant
> >Fleet Overlord
> >GCV Destruction (BC MkIII)
> >

> Back in the old days (BC3000) the SC was inundated with so much fan
> mail and forum posts that it became very tedious for him to wade
> through a thread when everyone was top posting. He soon declared that
> top posters would be banned. We do not top post here as a courtesy to
> him.

It has now become the custom to bottom post.
September 15, 2005 11:20:46 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

You have your own 'customs' in this group? How quaint.
Anything else I should know?

Commander Valiant
Fleet Overlord
GCV Destruction (BC MkIII)

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 14:31:27 GMT, "Bill Huffman" <bhuffma1@san.rr.com>
wrote:

>"Allan Parent" <allanp@nospamforme123.charter.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 09:40:04 +0100, Valiant <fv111@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Why shouldn't I top post?
>> >
>> >Commander Valiant
>> >Fleet Overlord
>> >GCV Destruction (BC MkIII)
>> >

>> Back in the old days (BC3000) the SC was inundated with so much fan
>> mail and forum posts that it became very tedious for him to wade
>> through a thread when everyone was top posting. He soon declared that
>> top posters would be banned. We do not top post here as a courtesy to
>> him.
>
>It has now become the custom to bottom post.

Anonymous
September 15, 2005 11:20:47 PM

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 19:20:46 +0100, Valiant wrote:

> You have your own 'customs' in this group?

Actually, bottom-posting is standard for Usenet.

http://www.dickalba.demon.co.uk/usenet/guide/faq_topp.h...

> How quaint.

Very likely, yes.

> Anything else I should know?

Very likely, yes.

Bret
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 12:26:02 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Yes you should know they're all dickheads. And also you should know that
this newsgroup has no space sim topics on it ... ever (unless you count
BC3000 flame posts). I wonder if it would be possible to apply to get this
newsgroup withdrawn - its such a waste of 'space'? Ha that was almost a
joke.

Which coincidentally is also the funniest thing that's been said on this
newsgroup for ages as well.

Nats

> You have your own 'customs' in this group? How quaint.
> Anything else I should know?
>
> Commander Valiant
> Fleet Overlord
> GCV Destruction (BC MkIII)
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 12:26:03 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 20:26:02 +0100, Nats wrote:

Nigel! How are you doing, you old so-and-so?

> Yes you should know they're all dickheads.

Damn straight.

> And also you should know that
> this newsgroup has no space sim topics on it ... ever

That's not quite true. I seem to recall this one thread back in '98 . . .
or was it '99? Anyway, I'm almost certain it had something to do with
space-sims.

> (unless you count BC3000 flame posts).

Oh. Well, nevermind then.

> I wonder if it would be possible to apply to get this
> newsgroup withdrawn - its such a waste of 'space'? Ha that was almost a
> joke.

Indeed. It was nearly a joke-sim.

> Which coincidentally is also the funniest thing that's been said on this
> newsgroup for ages as well.

That's only because you stopped using your 'web architect' sig.

> Nats
>

> "Valiant" <fv111@aol.com> wrote in message
>> You have your own 'customs' in this group?

Yep, not only do we have our own 'Customs', we also have our own
'Immigration' and 'Border Protection.' Do you have anything to declare?

Bret
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 1:23:02 AM

Valiant <fv111@aol.com> writes:

> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 20:33:23 +0100, Kegs <james.keasley@gmail.invalid>
> wrote:

>>> "Valiant" <fv111@aol.com> wrote in message
>>
>>It isn't just a local "quaint custom", it is a usenet wide thing,
>>do try to keep up.
>
> Well I must apologise for not keeping up then Kegs. Is it also "a
> usenet wide thing" to use profanity on a public forum? Or perhaps you
> are just "quaint".

Nope, just feeling bored and obstreperous today, something about stan
annoys me quite unreasonably. ;)

However, as you have kept up, welcome to the witterboard.

--
James jamesk[at]homeric[dot]co[dot]uk

"It is impossible to experience one's death objectively and still carry a
tune." Woody Allen
September 16, 2005 2:50:36 AM

"Nats" <nstutt@nstutt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D gchsa$ddq$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Yes you should know they're all dickheads. And also you should know that this
> newsgroup has no space sim topics on it ... ever (unless you count BC3000
> flame posts). I wonder if it would be possible to apply to get this newsgroup
> withdrawn - its such a waste of 'space'? Ha that was almost a joke.
>
> Which coincidentally is also the funniest thing that's been said on this
> newsgroup for ages as well.

Speak of the devil.

// Xan, Ph.D.
// I worship His Shadow.
September 16, 2005 2:50:37 AM

"Bret Ripley" <ripley@olywa.net> wrote in message
> How is MP? Can you save your universe/ship/character? Do you encounter
> NPC ships in MP? I'm sure our good Shingen has already described this to
> us in great detail, but it's hard to weed out the information from the
> Black Sabbath lyrics. (Hi Shin!)

Kiss the with winter flowers
Turn my day to frozen hours
Lying snowblind in the sun
Will my ice age ever come?

Ahem, sorry. Looks like I caught W32.Sabbath.DB. =D

// Xan, Ph.D.
// I worship His Shadow.
September 16, 2005 2:50:37 AM

> Good lord, James. My responses were almost identical to yours, but it took
> me 2 posts to your 1. I cannot compete with that sort of efficiency.
> Please excuse me while I stare uneasily into the jaws of obsolescence.

// Xan, Ph.D.
// You are obsolete.
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 2:50:38 AM

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 22:50:37 GMT, Xan wrote:

> "Bret Ripley" <ripley@olywa.net> wrote in message
>> Good lord, James. My responses were almost identical to yours, but it took
>> me 2 posts to your 1. I cannot compete with that sort of efficiency.
>> Please excuse me while I stare uneasily into the jaws of obsolescence.
>
> // Xan, Ph.D.
> // You are obsolete.

Cool. So now do I get to collect disability pay, or what?

Bret
September 16, 2005 3:15:18 AM

> Cool. So now do I get to collect disability pay, or what?

Only after you right-click yourself and select Disable. Please, be responsible.
=D

// Xan, Ph.D.
// I worship His Shadow.
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 3:15:19 AM

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 23:15:18 GMT, Xan wrote:

> "Bret Ripley" <ripley@olywa.net> wrote in message
>> Cool. So now do I get to collect disability pay, or what?
>
> Only after you right-click yourself and select Disable.

Bzzzzt -- The correct response was: "the cheque is in the post."

HTH

> Please, be responsible.

I'm pretty sure I'm too old for that.

Bret
September 16, 2005 3:38:47 AM

> Bzzzzt -- The correct response was: "the cheque is in the post."

Noooo. The checkbox is on the property page.

> I'm pretty sure I'm too old for that.

Better late than never. =P

// Xan, Ph.D.
// I worship His Shadow.
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 3:38:48 AM

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 23:38:47 GMT, Xan wrote:

> "Bret Ripley" <ripley@olywa.net> wrote in message
>> Bzzzzt -- The correct response was: "the cheque is in the post."
>
> Noooo. The checkbox is on the property page.

format c: /s

>> I'm pretty sure I'm too old for that.
>
> Better late than never. =P

That's not what my wife says.

Bret
September 16, 2005 3:42:33 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 14:31:27 GMT, "Bill Huffman" <bhuffma1@san.rr.com>
wrote:

No it hasn't

>"Allan Parent" <allanp@nospamforme123.charter.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 09:40:04 +0100, Valiant <fv111@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Why shouldn't I top post?
>> >
>> >Commander Valiant
>> >Fleet Overlord
>> >GCV Destruction (BC MkIII)
>> >

>> Back in the old days (BC3000) the SC was inundated with so much fan
>> mail and forum posts that it became very tedious for him to wade
>> through a thread when everyone was top posting. He soon declared that
>> top posters would be banned. We do not top post here as a courtesy to
>> him.
>
>It has now become the custom to bottom post.

September 16, 2005 5:30:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 20:26:02 +0100, "Nats"
<nstutt@nstutt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>Yes you should know they're all dickheads. And also you should know that
>this newsgroup has no space sim topics on it ... ever (unless you count
>BC3000 flame posts). I wonder if it would be possible to apply to get this
>newsgroup withdrawn - its such a waste of 'space'? Ha that was almost a
>joke.
>
>Which coincidentally is also the funniest thing that's been said on this
>newsgroup for ages as well.
>
>Nats

Because it is.

>>Please don't top-post

>why is top-posting bad?

/me waves at Stan.

Aside: That was the "dummy's guide" to top-posting. If you'd like the
"Advanced dummy's guide", Stan, please let me know.

Lemming
--
Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.
September 16, 2005 5:31:33 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 16:34:56 -0700, Bret Ripley <ripley@olywa.net>
wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 23:15:18 GMT, Xan wrote:
>
>> "Bret Ripley" <ripley@olywa.net> wrote in message
>>> Cool. So now do I get to collect disability pay, or what?
>>
>> Only after you right-click yourself and select Disable.
>
>Bzzzzt -- The correct response was: "the cheque is in the post."

And no, it doesn't taste of anything.

>HTH
>
>> Please, be responsible.
>
>I'm pretty sure I'm too old for that.
>
>Bret

Lemming
--
Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.
September 16, 2005 5:32:30 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 09:40:04 +0100, Valiant <fv111@aol.com> wrote:

>Why shouldn't I top post?

Your security clearance is not yet of a sufficient level for me to
reveal that information.

Lemming
--
Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 9:49:07 AM

<me@home.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 14:31:27 GMT, "Bill Huffman" <bhuffma1@san.rr.com>
> wrote:
>
> No it hasn't
> >
> >"Allan Parent" <allanp@nospamforme123.charter.net> wrote in message

> >> Back in the old days (BC3000) the SC was inundated with so much fan
> >> mail and forum posts that it became very tedious for him to wade
> >> through a thread when everyone was top posting. He soon declared that
> >> top posters would be banned. We do not top post here as a courtesy to
> >> him.
> >
> >It has now become the custom to bottom post.

I might have to tell the SC on you.
September 16, 2005 10:49:00 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 05:49:07 GMT, "Bill Huffman" <bhuffma1@san.rr.com>
wrote:

><me@home.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 14:31:27 GMT, "Bill Huffman" <bhuffma1@san.rr.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> No it hasn't
>> >
>> >"Allan Parent" <allanp@nospamforme123.charter.net> wrote in message

>> >It has now become the custom to bottom post.
>

>I might have to tell the SC on you.

I don't care. He's my bitch.
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 10:12:37 PM

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 19:20:46 +0100, Valiant <fv111@aol.com> wrote:

>You have your own 'customs' in this group? How quaint.
>Anything else I should know?
>
>Commander Valiant
>Fleet Overlord
>GCV Destruction (BC MkIII)

Now that's funny on so many levels considering where you hang out.
!