X-3 Pre-order? Beta Reports?

Last response: in Video Games
September 17, 2005 1:02:52 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

I got a offer from GoGamer to pre-order X-3 for $34.99.

What is the feedback from the beta testers? I have always wanted to try
this game but it was hard to find in the states and the reviews of X-2 were
marginal. I'm still looking for something like Terminus + Jumpgate +
Freespace + IWar2 that I can have on my machine for a while a play
freeform. I don't want to pay to play.

NDA violating reviews greatly appreciated!

More about : pre order beta reports

Anonymous
September 17, 2005 5:47:04 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 21:02:52 -0500, Paul Grunwald
<pgrunwald@spamthis.comcast.net> wrote:

>I got a offer from GoGamer to pre-order X-3 for $34.99.
>
>What is the feedback from the beta testers? I have always wanted to try
>this game but it was hard to find in the states and the reviews of X-2 were
>marginal. I'm still looking for something like Terminus + Jumpgate +
>Freespace + IWar2 that I can have on my machine for a while a play
>freeform. I don't want to pay to play.
>
>NDA violating reviews greatly appreciated!

I'd wait for a playable demo if I were you. From what I have seen I suspect it
will be yet another graphical overhaul with the same game mechanics
underneath. All those pretty shots with planets etc. are just visual fluff as
you won't be able to visit them. On their site they have mentioned that they
have now made use of the vertical axis for systems which as far as I can see
means that rather than having a tiny flat plane with the various stations on
it and a gate at N,S,E and W there are going to be some stations above you and
below you. I think when people have started cooing over the graphics they will
find this out rather quickly.
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 5:01:05 PM

Paul Grunwald wrote:
> I got a offer from GoGamer to pre-order X-3 for $34.99.
>
> What is the feedback from the beta testers? I have always wanted to try
> this game but it was hard to find in the states and the reviews of X-2 were
> marginal. I'm still looking for something like Terminus + Jumpgate +
> Freespace + IWar2 that I can have on my machine for a while a play
> freeform. I don't want to pay to play.

I found X-BTF to be too boring to play, but enjoyed X2. I got about 50
hours of play before it got tedious and I shelved it. The combat was
nowhere near as good as Terminus or IWar. No newtonian physics and the
NPCs had a habit of running into you. If you never played X2 then I
would definitely consider getting X3. The mechanics of the game and
the various things you need to figure out make it fun enough to get
your money's worth. That is if you consider about a $1 an hour to be a
reasonable return on your investment.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 12:44:37 AM

On 19 Sep 2005 13:01:05 -0700, "FLY135" <fly_135@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I found X-BTF to be too boring to play, but enjoyed X2. I got about 50
>hours of play before it got tedious and I shelved it. The combat was
>nowhere near as good as Terminus or IWar. No newtonian physics and the
>NPCs had a habit of running into you. If you never played X2 then I
>would definitely consider getting X3. The mechanics of the game and
>the various things you need to figure out make it fun enough to get
>your money's worth. That is if you consider about a $1 an hour to be a
>reasonable return on your investment.

I actually liked X-BTF more then X2. Maybe it was because it was the
first in the series, but I know I spent more time playing X-BTF (and
later X-Tensions) then I ever did playing X2.

I do agree with you, the lack of "newtonian" physics is really what I
hate about the X series.That, and X2 was just too verbose a game;
trading was tedious, setting up stations and transports was tedious,
combat was tedious. The 1.4 patch fixed alot of things, added alot of
things and broke alot of things, but going by your $1 an hour
estimate, I'd say I got at least 40 hours out of X2.

However, I still play Terminus, and IWAR2 on occation, so X2 didn't
have any longevity for me. It's just another boxed game gathering dust
along with a mulitude of other games.

I really don't have much hope for X3, but I'll prolly buy the damn
thing anyway. Hell, I wasted $30 on UC: AWA didn't I? =P
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 11:39:45 AM

Shingen wrote:
> I actually liked X-BTF more then X2. Maybe it was because it was the
> first in the series, but I know I spent more time playing X-BTF (and
> later X-Tensions) then I ever did playing X2.

The problem I had with X-BTF was not knowing how to get started. The
trade trips were too boring. With X2 I did the sell trick on the
loaner ship to get a few bucks, and I got lucky and bagged a high
priced salvage right off the bat. What I liked about X2 over X-BTF was
the ability to play the game as a combat pilot from nearly the start.

> I do agree with you, the lack of "newtonian" physics is really what I
> hate about the X series.

Although a lot of people may think that newtonian physics is left out
of space games because they believe it's not fun, I feel it's left out
because the NPCs would be slaughtered. It's a simple matter to
implement it as an option, but getting the AI to intelligently predict
where to shoot is much more difficult.

> However, I still play Terminus, and IWAR2 on occation, so X2 didn't
> have any longevity for me. It's just another boxed game gathering dust
> along with a mulitude of other games.

Terminus was the start of a great game. Too bad there weren't sequels
to it. It was a shame to see the IWar series stop too.

> I really don't have much hope for X3, but I'll prolly buy the damn
> thing anyway. Hell, I wasted $30 on UC: AWA didn't I? =P

I'd probably buy it if I ever had the time to play games anymore. Even
my Xbox is gathering dust now that I have a fiancee.
!