DDR400: Single vs. Dual Channel

FO_SHO

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003
I have two questions (mobo: A7N8x DX, XP 2700+ T-bred B)

1. I'm thinking of getting OCZ, corsair or Geil memory PC 3200, and since I don't have enough money for dual 1GB 2*512 sticks, I'm gonna get 512mb DDR400 memory. Which is faster, DDR400 512 mb single channel, or DDR400 2*256 dual channel???

2. I know the Tbred B core has 333FSB, and I'm getting a DDR400 stick of memory, so has anyone ever overclocked the FSB of the CPU to 400 with conventional heatsink + fan (volcano 7+), so that I can run the memory and CPU in synchro. I know if I run asynchro, I won't get that much of a performance gain.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'm thinking of getting OCZ, corsair or Geil memory PC 3200
I'd really suggest Corsair over OCZ or Geil. In fact, if you <i>do</i> go with dual-channel, Corsair sells sticks in pairs that are specifically for a dc config.

Which is faster, DDR400 512 mb single channel, or DDR400 2*256 dual channel???
Which is faster is easy: dual-channel is faster. However, if you get 2*256 then you'll really have to toss some of your old RAM if you ever want to upgrade in the future.

I know if I run asynchro, I won't get that much of a performance gain.
The funny thing is, so far from what I've read about people's problems with the nForce2 mobos (and most especially those from Asus) you're asking for a world of problems if you try to run your RAM in sync with your CPU under dual-channel mode.

Here are my following suggestions:
1) Try a different motherboard manu than Asus for the nForce2. Abit sells a nice one with everything the same except for dual LAN. You could also go with others for less that have better reputations than the Asus boards.

2) If you really want to OC your CPU's FSB to 400 then avoid using dual-channel for your memory. Just one good 512MB stick will likely be a LOT more stable.

3) If you plan on purchasing any more RAM in the future then live with the slightly lower performance of single-channel and just get one good 512MB stick for now.

Of course, these are just suggestions. They're your decisions to make.

<font color=blue><pre>If you don't give me accurate and complete system specs
then I can't give you an accurate and complete answer.</pre><p></font color=blue>