Answer this post!pleeease

Tags:
Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
Anonymous
January 11, 2001 9:22:27 PM

Ok I went to Wal-Mart.
Picked up Mandrake 7.2
Installed just fine.
I don't understand how this stuff works at all.
I have 4 CD's
The first CD is the install.
The other ones don't autostart or anything.
And I don't know how to install the applications and the Linux Library on these disks.
The manual is not newbie friendly, by the way.
And before yesterday I had never heard of Grub,KDE,Konqueror,Xdrake, or any more of this confusing mumbo jumbo.
I need HELP!

More about : answer post pleeease

January 12, 2001 5:25:26 PM

That's basically how I started Linux too (which was only about a month ago). I downloaded SuSE 7.0 from their FTP site, burned it onto a CD and Installed it. I had no idea what I was doing. I went to the library and got a good book on learning Linux and just started reading. I also found a few good web sites. I just learned as I went along. Now I can compile and install a new kernel, navigate the command line, and install/remove programs.

In summary, Linux takes a while to learn. Be patient. No one can explain to you how Linux works in just one post, it's a very complex and powerful OS. Get a book, look online, read all you can, then just screw around with it.
Anonymous
January 12, 2001 7:05:06 PM

Yes, well that is the point of my post.
You see, the Wal-Mart package comes with some extras.
One of the disks has 4 electronic books on it.
1)Teach yourself Linux in 24hrs.
2)Teach yourself GIMP in 24hrs.
3)Linux hardware handbook
4)Practical Linux.
I have seen all of these books at the store before and their inclusion in the package was one of the reasons I bought the box.
However, as I stated, lol, I can't figure out how to access them yet.
I gave my modem with a controller to a friend to borrow so I can't play online with Linux yet, because I am using a LTwinmodem right now. sigh...
Hopefully I'll get it back this weekend.
I paid $110 bucks for that sucker!
However, I am enjoying the Linux games that came with my install.
Particularily poker and atomic blast, or whatever its called.lol
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 13, 2001 3:17:42 PM

Did you set it up as a dual boot: Win/Linux? If so then you could just read the files under Windows (the help files that came with SuSE are all in PDF format). To use your CD-rom in Linux you have to mount it. When there is no media in a drive (floppy, CD, DVD) the drive is disconnected, and after a disk is put in you have to tell Linux to reconnect it (mount the drive).

Hopefully someone with more linux experience can help you better since I've never actualy done this, but I'll try to remember what I read. I think you just go to a command line and type 'mount /cdrom' then the '/cdrom' directory becomes the cd drive. I'm at work now and have no Linux machines, but when I get home I'll make sure that is right.
January 20, 2001 5:38:40 AM

hi manonthemoon555,

i think i can help you when it come to those other CD's. I'm running Mandrake 7.2 GPL(the downloaded version) myself. It comes with an install CD and extension CD1. The extension CD1 just contains secondary applications, and as for the other two ??? i don't know, but i do know that when installing Mandrake 7.2 you can check off "select individual packages" at one point. It's at the bottom of a scrolling box to choose installation groups. This allows you to choose exactly which apps you want, if you don't choose this option I think it just installs the basic. If you do check it off though you'll be prompted to incert CD number whatever during the install. If you want to add some apps just reinstall with the first Cd again but this time choose upgrade. Go through the intro until the package selection part. Choose what you want and the install will do the rest.

When it comes mounting the CD's under Linux here it is:
1) open terminal;
2) type "su" (this means super user; it's the equivilent of root) and then your root password;
3) make sure the CD is in and then type and execute "mount /dev/cdrom -t iso9660 /mnt/cdrom". This tell Linux to mount the cdrom of type iso9660(standard CD format) at point /mnt/cdrom.
4) the cdrom files will be in the /mnt/cdrom
5) to unmount you use the same string but with "unmount" command instead of mount

or

1) open terminal; type "su" and password like before
2) then type "fsconf", this will bring you to a nice little GUI box to mount the cdrom.

in both cases use the "exit" command to get out of "su" mode, and likewise for the user terminal.

I suggest reading Linux Unleashed or Red Hat Linux Unleashed by Sams. I used them to figure out my wayarround. They're not too hard to read and they're very comprehensive.

anyway i hope this turn out, ciao
Anonymous
January 24, 2001 5:09:22 AM

my friend has an LT Winmodem too, but it's ISA, and isn't a real winmodem. Is yours also an ISA modem?
February 22, 2001 6:13:58 PM

I have installed Mandrake 7.2 from a cover disc I got from Linux Format magazine (UK mag). I think that the 2nd disc contains extra programs and at some point during the install when it asks about what type of install it then asks which CDs you have. I think the other discs contain source code. Personally I've used
SuSE6.x and Mandrake 7.0 before this so I've installed different flavours a few times. I like Mand7.2 it has good system management tool DrakConf. I can now do high quality prints over USB to my Epson Photo870 :-)

In summary the first CD contains loads of stuff for a beginner to look at. When I want to install extra stuff I use the rpm command line tool (this applies to files on CD or downloaded from the net).

Having never seen a retail pack of Mandrake take my words with a pinch of salt.

I can recommend SuSE which contains a decent installation guide.

Mike
February 23, 2001 1:47:17 PM

to unmount a cd the command is

umount /mnt/cdrom

Fastgas
Anonymous
February 23, 2001 4:39:43 PM

christ! it's not that fuckign hard to mount/unmount a CDRom in mandrake! there's an icon on your desktop.... or atleast, there should be one in either gnome or KDE that allows you to mount and access it like in ms windows. right clicking on the icon gives you options... mount or unmount.... double clicking it may automount it for you if you picked the default workstation. now, you have to make sure that everything that was accessing the cdrom is not when you try to unmount it. the system will refuse to let go of the disc if any app is still accessing the disc. i'll stress this again, RTFM! if you don't understand the books, stop using linux. get a more simple book and try again. don't blame linux or it's documentation for your lack of comprehension. read read read! i suggest you never think of ever trying that pos lt modem in linux. you'll end up blaming linux for the short falls of that pos modem. get a decent hardware modem, isa perferably. those doc discs will only help you with particular applications, and not with the administration of the system as a whole, you'll need to get your own books for that, or look on the web like everyone else. since you've gotten the system up, and it seems as if you prolly did the default workstation install, it most likely installed the documenation as well.
if you're running KDE (looks like MS Windows), then there should be a button on the task bar that sends you to the help browser. Gnome has the same feature. It's also on the program menu. I'll tell you now, linux is not for newbies and i've seen no documenation that is made for one. If you go into the situation only looking for easy routes, then you're sol! time, patients and manuals.... the key to linux!
Anonymous
January 3, 2002 3:30:02 AM

Just a note: "SU" stands for 'switch user' not 'super user'

I know this is a late post, but some of us actually read this 'old' stuff.

"Ever park your bike in an airplane hanger..."
!