Possible Vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds promising, but so have other potential vaccines in the past that have failed. Hopefully though, it works out in the end. It would be great to see a vaccine against HIV, as that would surely stem the amount of deaths from AIDS, especially in Africa. Heck, it could be one of those things that you get when you're a kid like the other various vaccines.

SIV is a good place to start, as the is most likely the virus that made the leap from monkeys to humans at some point in the early 1900's in Africa (that is the theory anyhow) and evolved in HIV in humans.

SIV works in much of the same way in monkeys, i.e. they rarely die from it, even though they may have high viral loads. However, in some species of monkeys (non human primate in general), SIV will evolve into AIDS and kill the host. Like HIV there are different strains of SIV, i.e. SIVsmm (sooty mangabeys) and SIVcpz (chimps). These two strains lead to HIV-1 (from chimps), which is the most common variant of HIV and HIV-2 (from mangabeys), which is rare and isolated to a few countries in Africa, even though it has popped up in Western countries in low numbers.

In regard to the above mentioned theory, the most probably cause of HIV is called the "Bustmeat theory." Essentially it is believed that SIV jumped to humans in the early 1900's due to the common practice in most African nations of hunting monkeys and then eating the meat. If a hunter was scratched, bitten, or exposed to the blood of a monkey with SIV, he/she was exposed to SIV, which over time evolved into HIV in humans.

My only problem with that theory is that SIV is believed to have been around for the past 32K-11K years and humans have been hunting monkeys and such for far longer than that. IMO SIV had to have made the jump sooner into HIV.

A good theory that you could propose is that SIV did not have to evolve, but HIV has been round since the 'life' of viruses have been around. One can conclude that there is a possibility that HIV was around before Jesus' time but the African tribes were so small, it did not travel to Mesopotamia, Persia, Rome nor the Western Continent until the world population grew to about 1 bill in 1800. Then HIV was growing rampant and developed a tolerance to human immunity by attacking the T-Helper Cell,( the WBC that is responsible to attack Foreign Disease Agents by releasing T antibodies) and weakening the immune system. This happened possibly by the time the virus was officially discovered by the western world. it did not receive global attention until it was reported over in Africa, and the gay community here in the US.

Exactly. It is hard to tell how old such small things like viruses are, even though recent advances in studying the gene structure of viruses have helped to narrow the field. However, you cannot exactly test the bones of ancient Egyptians and such for HIV, as it is only present in tissue, so we're stuck with the current scientific evidence. The earliest known case of HIV/AIDS occurred in 1959 with a British sailor named David Carr (who had traveled to Africa various times between 1955-57). The earliest known case in the US occurred in 1969 in St. Louis. At the very least then, we know HIV was present in Africa in 1955-57, as Carr had to get it somewhere.

To date there haven't been any other natural reservoirs found for HIV- save for other primates in the form of HIV. Remember, viruses have the ability to evolve fast, even though they are rather simple organisms. For example, some individuals develop drug resistant strains of HIV because the virus has evolved in such a way that it is able to resist the antiretrovirals out there. This is why HIV patients typically have to take a cocktail of drugs to keep the virus at bay. The first drug approved for HIV- AZT- proved to be effective at first, but gradually lost its potency due to the virus building up immunity to it, which in turn only led to a year or two of increased lifespan.

^ You see, HIV is actually smart. While non-living, it seems to 'learn'. Influenza and HPV does not do that. HIV is the only virus I am aware about that can cause micro-adaption. There are more than 1 million different strains of HIV, and it keeps changing itself. I sense a doomsday bomb.

So long as it doesn't evolve into an airborne strain of sorts it can be dealt with. If it does go airborne though, god help us all.

In regard to the vaccine again, it should also be noted that a promising route is studying individuals who are naturally immune to HIV. I'm not sure on the percentages, but there are individuals out there who are immune to HIV because the virus is unable to "stick" to their cells.

http://www.accessexcellence.org/WN/SUA04/natural_immunity_HIV.php

Promising in two respects:
1. A cure for AIDS.
2. This would be the first viral disease we can cure.

And three, two, one. "But what about ..."

No. We cannot presently cure any viral diseases. We can prevent by immunization. We can ameliorate symptoms. We can cure "side effect" diseases caused by bacteria - example, curing pneumonia after someone is weakened by the flu.

A viral disease? You either get better or you die.

And that's sort of what I am afraid of. I expect that, sooner or later, we will develop an effective AIDS vaccine that will confer immunity, but not cure existing patients.

^ with any STD. Has anyone seen what the % is for cases of untreatable STD's are?

By the time we have found cures, pretty much the whole world population will be dying form an STD, or live with one for a painful life ling journey. HPV has grown significantly in the US and by 2020,( I think), the number of people with HPV,( the STD strain,) will reach 80%?

According to the CDC:

HPV (the virus). Approximately 20 million Americans are currently infected with HPV. Another 6 million people become newly infected each year. HPV is so common that at least 50% of sexually active men and women get it at some point in their lives.

Here's an interesting article about the first person ever cured of HIV. Yes, I said cured. Trouble is that the procedure is pretty radical, i.e. a stem cell and bone marrow transplant. The man was originally suffering from leukemia, but it seems that the treatment worked in regard to purging the virus from his body and curing the leukemia. At least 4 years later, he is HIV free:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/06/05/eveningnews/main20069146.shtml

Hard to say. Perhaps as time passes, we'll evolve some sort of immunity to it. Things like pro-viruses have been incorporated into our genome over the past 200K years, so you never know.

Interesting. I knew some humans were immunoresistant to HIV. Makes me want to take a geneticist test to see if I have the gene for T helper immunity. Patent my genes and give it to science.

The part of the report I had trouble with was the 'Plague resistance' one. Humans contracted the plague through a bacterial infection, not a virus, so the DNA mutation would take bacterial resistance over centuries,( up to about this current century.) Another thing is that since it is a virus, it cannot be 'scanned' and replicated that well for DNA to complete a genetic overhaul on resistance. One last thing: If the plague caused resistance to HIV, why are there Europeans and others of their descent that contract HIV so easily?

The 'evolutionary' standards as what they provided had several fallacies. I would say that during meiosis, the DNA of certain humans had become mutated to be 'unnaturally' resistant to the virus to a degree. This is just speculation. Another look into it as well is that all humans have a genetic resistance to a certain disease or syndrome...which would explain why certain people are more prone to cancer, AD, and pathological diseases caused by foreign disease agents.

{Personally,( In my Opinion,) I believe God made certain humans resistant to allow us to be closer to a cure. Remember, this is my opinion, DO NOT make any comment about it...just observe.}

Status
Not open for further replies.