Sign in with
Your question

help: extremely obnoxious noise

Last response: in Storage
March 4, 2003 1:37:12 PM

i've been living with this problem for almost a year. it isn't constant, but it's there 80% of the time. my computer makes this high pitched sound that sort of sounds a lot like a cd laser.. complete with the little clicks.

i'm fairly certain it's not coming from my cd-roms, or any of the fans. my next guess is maybe one of my hard drives? which brings me to the ultimate question.. what components are capable of making sounds outside the normal sonic prescence of a computer?

the problem seems to coincide with hard drive seeks, but that could be pure coincidence. it can somewhat be alleviated if i tilt my computer to varying degrees.. so some nights, especially exam nights, it is a maddening fight to find the balance. now i really want to do something concrete about it.. ANY suggestions on what the noise might be would help greatly. thanks!
March 5, 2003 7:08:29 AM

Normally I would suspect hard drive noise, but the tipping thing makes it sound more like a fan. Check your video card and chipset fans.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
March 5, 2003 5:36:38 PM

set your computer to always on and set drive to always on. then you don't hear the whine and click the drive makes when it spin up again after a break.

mine used to do that a long time ago, since I have everything set to always on (in the power options) there is no more of that.

but it could be something else, trying around doesn't hurt.

<b><font color=blue>Press 1 if you want to be on hold, 2 for disconnect, 3 for a representative who will put you on hold before disconnecting.</font color=blue></b>
!