Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

OOTP6: FRIDAY

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
April 14, 2004 8:39:01 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

OOTP6 will be available on Friday (4/16/03)

Jonah Falcon

More about : ootp6 friday

Anonymous
April 14, 2004 8:39:02 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:39:01 GMT, "Jonah Falcon"
<jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote:

>
>OOTP6 will be available on Friday (4/16/03)
>
>Jonah Falcon
>

I preordered the game. I hope it is good. I used to play Season
Ticket Baseball 2003, and thought it was fun. Do you think it will be
much better?

Regards,

javajeff
Anonymous
April 14, 2004 10:02:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:39:01 GMT, Jonah Falcon wrote:

> OOTP6 will be available on Friday (4/16/03)

That's not quite what Markus Heinsohn said on the OOTP 6 message board:

->Well, I can tell you that we are very close to release date, but it will
->not be before Friday... So, anything can happen over the weekend!
->
->PS: There will be some surprise features, which I will code in the
->remaining days...
->
->PPS: The game is well worth the wait, I love the new engine... it finally
->feels like real baseball instead of numbers crunching!

Friday would be the earliest it might be out, but I'd say another 2 or 3
days are likely. As somebody else as mentioned, I'm a bit concerned that
he's still coding it and will release it with at most a day or two of
testing. As much as I'm looking forward to getting it, I think he'd be wise
to put a couple of weeks into beta testing the final product.

Sumbuddy
Related resources
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 12:12:19 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

"javajeff" <javajeff@city-net.com> wrote in message
news:avvq701rhd5nhol5ndi9h16usn03c7mm23@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:39:01 GMT, "Jonah Falcon"
> <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> >
> >OOTP6 will be available on Friday (4/16/03)
> >
> >Jonah Falcon
> >
>
> I preordered the game. I hope it is good. I used to play Season
> Ticket Baseball 2003, and thought it was fun. Do you think it will be
> much better?


Far, far better. Markus and Company have incorporated the actual labor
agreement (Rule V, waiver rules, etc). They've tweaked the AI so that scouts
pay more attention to performance than skills (which can be tweaked by the
player). The scouting reports can be the same as real-life scouting reports
(abilities judged from 2-8) or other methods.

The in-game has also been tweaked, with not only more commentary, but more
variables and types of plays.

And Season Ticket Baseball 2003 was based on, if I recall, OOTP4, not OOTP5.
OOTP5 had a ton of stuff more than OOTP4 (ie. the manager mode in which you
play the role of a manager, get hired, fired, etc.)

Jonah Falcon
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 1:35:16 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 20:12:19 GMT, "Jonah Falcon"
<jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Far, far better. Markus and Company have incorporated the actual labor
>agreement (Rule V, waiver rules, etc). They've tweaked the AI so that scouts
>pay more attention to performance than skills (which can be tweaked by the
>player). The scouting reports can be the same as real-life scouting reports
>(abilities judged from 2-8) or other methods.
>
>The in-game has also been tweaked, with not only more commentary, but more
>variables and types of plays.
>
>And Season Ticket Baseball 2003 was based on, if I recall, OOTP4, not OOTP5.
>OOTP5 had a ton of stuff more than OOTP4 (ie. the manager mode in which you
>play the role of a manager, get hired, fired, etc.)
>
>Jonah Falcon
>

STB2003 was OOTP4, so this is two generations later for me. I thought
STB2003 was great, so I should like this one. I am looking forward to
it. I wonder how the online head to head game management will work.
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 2:50:08 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

"javajeff" <javajeff@city-net.com> wrote in message
news:avvq701rhd5nhol5ndi9h16usn03c7mm23@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:39:01 GMT, "Jonah Falcon"
> <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> >
> >OOTP6 will be available on Friday (4/16/03)
> >
> >Jonah Falcon
> >
>
> I preordered the game. I hope it is good. I used to play Season
> Ticket Baseball 2003, and thought it was fun. Do you think it will be
> much better?
>
> Regards,
>
> javajeff

Seems like a new OOTP game comes out every few months or so. Is this the
case?

Myself, I never cared for such GM games. Leave the finances and the price
of hot dogs to the big guys, I just want to play the games.

Drafts are fun, however. How much to sell tickets for is not.

Alanb
April 15, 2004 2:50:09 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

> Myself, I never cared for such GM games. Leave the finances and the price
> of hot dogs to the big guys, I just want to play the games.
>
> Drafts are fun, however. How much to sell tickets for is not.
>
> Alanb

I think we should start getting used to this type of games, as they'll soon
be the only kind of sports gaming left on pc.
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 4:25:08 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

I was thinking the same thing about '...code in the coming days.' You'd
think there'd be some time period testing the release candidate with just
big fixes to be added.

"Sumbuddy" <me@here.com> wrote in message
news:o c9het1203dt.1967te8ffklsc$.dlg@40tude.net...
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:39:01 GMT, Jonah Falcon wrote:
>
> > OOTP6 will be available on Friday (4/16/03)
>
> That's not quite what Markus Heinsohn said on the OOTP 6 message board:
>
> ->Well, I can tell you that we are very close to release date, but it will
> ->not be before Friday... So, anything can happen over the weekend!
> ->
> ->PS: There will be some surprise features, which I will code in the
> ->remaining days...
> ->
> ->PPS: The game is well worth the wait, I love the new engine... it
finally
> ->feels like real baseball instead of numbers crunching!
>
> Friday would be the earliest it might be out, but I'd say another 2 or 3
> days are likely. As somebody else as mentioned, I'm a bit concerned that
> he's still coding it and will release it with at most a day or two of
> testing. As much as I'm looking forward to getting it, I think he'd be
wise
> to put a couple of weeks into beta testing the final product.
>
> Sumbuddy
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 5:18:07 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

"Alan Bernardo" <master@oforion.net> wrote in message
news:Aejfc.144681$JO3.84523@attbi_s04...
>
> "javajeff" <javajeff@city-net.com> wrote in message
> news:avvq701rhd5nhol5ndi9h16usn03c7mm23@4ax.com...
> > On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:39:01 GMT, "Jonah Falcon"
> > <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote:
> >
> > >
> > >OOTP6 will be available on Friday (4/16/03)
> > >
> > >Jonah Falcon
> > >
> >
> > I preordered the game. I hope it is good. I used to play Season
> > Ticket Baseball 2003, and thought it was fun. Do you think it will be
> > much better?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > javajeff
>
> Seems like a new OOTP game comes out every few months or so. Is this the
> case?

(cough) Once a year. Name a sports game that doesn't.

Jonah Falcon
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 5:18:37 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

"Bill Harris" <nospambillharris@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
news:EDkfc.2280$Se5.743@fe2.texas.rr.com...
> I was thinking the same thing about '...code in the coming days.' You'd
> think there'd be some time period testing the release candidate with just
> big fixes to be added.

Markus emailed me Friday.

Jonah Falcon
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 6:16:14 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

>
>OOTP6 will be available on Friday (4/16/03)
>
>Jonah Falcon

STFU
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 9:31:38 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

"ThE AnArKrIsT" <thirdandten@aol.comNoSpAm> wrote in message
news:20040414221614.01314.00000369@mb-m14.aol.com...
> >
> >OOTP6 will be available on Friday (4/16/03)
> >
> >Jonah Falcon
>
> STFU

Sorry for not posting something related to PC sports games.

Jonah Falcon
PS. 1337-speak is so 1997.
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 5:33:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

>> >OOTP6 will be available on Friday (4/16/03)
>> >
>> >Jonah Falcon
>>
>> STFU
>
>Sorry for not posting something related to PC sports games.
>
>Jonah Falcon
>PS. 1337-speak is so 1997.

Why are you posting on-topic? What's the special occasion?
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 5:33:24 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

On 15 Apr 2004 13:33:23 GMT, thirdandten@aol.comNoSpAm (ThE AnArKrIsT)
wrote:

>>> >OOTP6 will be available on Friday (4/16/03)
>>> >
>>> >Jonah Falcon
>>>
>>> STFU
>>
>>Sorry for not posting something related to PC sports games.
>>
>>Jonah Falcon
>>PS. 1337-speak is so 1997.
>
>Why are you posting on-topic? What's the special occasion?


What does STFU mean?
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 6:46:43 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

>What does STFU mean?

You're kidding, right?
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 7:39:26 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

"ThE AnArKrIsT" <thirdandten@aol.comNoSpAm> wrote in message
news:20040415093323.22158.00000432@mb-m06.aol.com...
> >> >OOTP6 will be available on Friday (4/16/03)
> >> >
> >> >Jonah Falcon
> >>
> >> STFU
> >
> >Sorry for not posting something related to PC sports games.
> >
> >Jonah Falcon
> >PS. 1337-speak is so 1997.
>
> Why are you posting on-topic? What's the special occasion?

GeE, wHy aM I nOt SpEaKiNg In AlTeRnAtInG cApS lIKe SoMeOnE cOoL lIkE yOu?

Jonah Falcon
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 8:21:32 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

>GeE, wHy aM I nOt SpEaKiNg In AlTeRnAtInG cApS lIKe SoMeOnE cOoL lIkE yOu?
>
>Jonah Falcon

You're not that cool?
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 8:30:38 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

"Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:jplfc.7136$l75.3256@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> > Seems like a new OOTP game comes out every few months or so. Is this
the
> > case?
>
> (cough) Once a year. Name a sports game that doesn't.

Well, Diamond Mind Baseball and Stratomatic Baseball don't come out with new
game engines every year, just new season disks. Does that count?

See, it's this type of behavior that bothers people. Why couldn't you just
have said, "No, I believe that it comes out only once a year." What was the
point of the "(cough)?" Where did he ask how this compares to other sports
games?


JMA
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 9:42:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

"ThE AnArKrIsT" <thirdandten@aol.comNoSpAm> wrote in message
news:20040415104643.22158.00000438@mb-m06.aol.com...
> >What does STFU mean?
>
> You're kidding, right?

Why don't you just tell the guy what it means? He didn't ask if you thought
he was kidding or anything similar. He wanted to know what "STFU" meant.

Though there are more important things to know, I'd like to know myself.
And seeing that we are all such civil people, I might guess at what the last
two letters stand for.

Are the first two "Stand Tall"? :) 

Alanb
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 9:42:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 17:42:41 GMT, "Alan Bernardo" <master@oforion.net>
wrote:

>
>"ThE AnArKrIsT" <thirdandten@aol.comNoSpAm> wrote in message
>news:20040415104643.22158.00000438@mb-m06.aol.com...
>> >What does STFU mean?
>>
>> You're kidding, right?
>
>Why don't you just tell the guy what it means? He didn't ask if you thought
>he was kidding or anything similar. He wanted to know what "STFU" meant.
>
>Though there are more important things to know, I'd like to know myself.
>And seeing that we are all such civil people, I might guess at what the last
>two letters stand for.
>
>Are the first two "Stand Tall"? :) 
>
>Alanb
>

It is just something that I would have never thought of or used on the
internet.
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 10:50:50 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

Yeah, we all can't wait to hear what Jonah thinks.


"javajeff" <javajeff@city-net.com> wrote in message
news:avvq701rhd5nhol5ndi9h16usn03c7mm23@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:39:01 GMT, "Jonah Falcon"
> <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> >
> >OOTP6 will be available on Friday (4/16/03)
> >
> >Jonah Falcon
> >
>
> I preordered the game. I hope it is good. I used to play Season
> Ticket Baseball 2003, and thought it was fun. Do you think it will be
> much better?
>
> Regards,
>
> javajeff
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 10:51:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

He (coughed) because his hand was on his balls.

"Joe Ankenbauer" <ankenbauer@cox.net> wrote in message
news:R9Dfc.12218$GT3.10135@okepread05...
> "Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> news:jplfc.7136$l75.3256@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> > > Seems like a new OOTP game comes out every few months or so. Is this
> the
> > > case?
> >
> > (cough) Once a year. Name a sports game that doesn't.
>
> Well, Diamond Mind Baseball and Stratomatic Baseball don't come out with
new
> game engines every year, just new season disks. Does that count?
>
> See, it's this type of behavior that bothers people. Why couldn't you just
> have said, "No, I believe that it comes out only once a year." What was
the
> point of the "(cough)?" Where did he ask how this compares to other sports
> games?
>
>
> JMA
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 11:10:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

"javajeff" <javajeff@city-net.com> wrote in message
news:e2mt70l1d34saab57dmq4ko3h4d57ul4ra@4ax.com...

> It is just something that I would have never thought of or used on the
> internet.

I think it was probably one of those things of class separation. For
somebody who spends every waking moment on the Internet and has no actual
existence in the tangible world then"STFU" is simply second nature.

For those who do not meet the above criteria, then it is an unknown acronym.

For him .. it would be something like: 401K

He'd be stumped there.

JB
Anonymous
April 16, 2004 6:54:29 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

>He (coughed) because his hand was on his balls.

Actually, he (coughed) because his hand was on Sheffield's balls.
Anonymous
April 16, 2004 7:53:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

"ThE AnArKrIsT" <thirdandten@aol.comNoSpAm> wrote in message
news:20040415225429.22094.00000451@mb-m06.aol.com...
> >He (coughed) because his hand was on his balls.
>
> Actually, he (coughed) because his hand was on Sheffield's balls.

This coming from someone with ovaries.

Jonah Falcon
Anonymous
April 16, 2004 7:54:57 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

"javajeff" <javajeff@city-net.com> wrote in message
news:e2mt70l1d34saab57dmq4ko3h4d57ul4ra@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 17:42:41 GMT, "Alan Bernardo" <master@oforion.net>
> wrote:
>
> >
> >"ThE AnArKrIsT" <thirdandten@aol.comNoSpAm> wrote in message
> >news:20040415104643.22158.00000438@mb-m06.aol.com...
> >> >What does STFU mean?
> >>
> >> You're kidding, right?
> >
> >Why don't you just tell the guy what it means? He didn't ask if you
thought
> >he was kidding or anything similar. He wanted to know what "STFU" meant.
> >
> >Though there are more important things to know, I'd like to know myself.
> >And seeing that we are all such civil people, I might guess at what the
last
> >two letters stand for.
> >
> >Are the first two "Stand Tall"? :) 
> >
> >Alanb
> >
>
> It is just something that I would have never thought of or used on the
> internet.

Because you have taste.

Jonah Falcon
Anonymous
April 17, 2004 12:04:36 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

Told ya:

OOTP Developments Breaking News - OOTP6 release today

To read the complete newsletter as HTML page please visit
http://www.ootp-leagues.com/nl/

OUT OF THE PARK BASEBALL 6.0 - Making it "AS REAL AS IT GETS!"

Leading Off: REALISM
Over the years the Out of the Park Series has gained a very loyal following
because each new version of the game has given the player more options,
better playability and increased realism. Out of the Park Developments has
continued this process in 2004 in its never-ending pursuit to make the game
"As Real As It Gets".

Now, after another year of intense research, analysis and re-programming,
Out of the Park Developments is proud to announce that OOTP 6.0 will go live
today, Friday, April 16th, at noon EST! Please use the download links at the
bottom of this newsletter to step up to the plate!

Batting Second: COMPLETELY REVISED GAME ENGINE
The game engine has been completely re-written from the ground up. Based on
the latest comprehensive research, each event has been remodeled for
complete statistical accuracy. This is not to be taken lightly, as each
phase of the game has been broken down, re-assessed and put back together
again. A unique statistical approach was used to evaluate the true value of
a player's hitting, pitching and defense, creating a game that is true to
the sport we love.

Batting Third: NEW GENERAL MANAGEMENT FEATURES
New advanced options have been added to increase the level of realism the
players faces as a general manager.
Out of the Park 6.0 retains the standard 25-man active rosters (though this
can be changed to a different number if desired), but now offers the option
of full 40-man rosters as well. This increases the strategy involved when
playing as a general manager, especially when it's paired with the Rule 5
draft, option years and minor league free agency - three new or improved
features in OOTP6!
The game now fully implements a Rule 5 draft in the off-season, allowing the
player to draft unprotected players from their league rivals. As in real
baseball, these players MUST remain on the 25-man active roster the
following year, or the drafting team risks losing him.
Arbitration and free agency have been fine-tuned, as the game now determines
a player's eligibility based on ML service days. Therefore, calling up a
late season prospect does not hurt you in the pocketbook prematurely as it
had in previous versions.
The concept of placing a player on waivers has been introduced as well -
allowing the human player to make after trading-deadline deals to shore up
his/her team for the pennant race. Employing the waiver system is also the
route one must use to send a player to the minors if he is out of minor
league options.
Customization has always been a key feature of the Out of the Park series,
and it remains to this day. Don't want to play with minor league option
years? Want to change the length of time it takes to clear waivers, or
change the number of days required to qualify as one year of ML service? No
problem. Out of the Park 6 allows you to make these changes and dozens more,
putting YOU in control of the game, rather than making the game control you.

In the Clean-Up Spot: NEW PLAYER ALGORITHMS
Player development algorithms have been changed and now more closely reflect
real life. The truly great player tends to be able to play major league ball
earlier and his skills will allow his career to end later than the typical
ballplayer. Players no longer have a predictable pattern to their career,
increasing the complexity of general management decisions. Now you must
decide if that 38 year old outfielder who just batted .300 and hit 25
homeruns for you- was that his last good year, or does he have a few more
left in him?
Of course, if you're not happy how players develop in OOTP, we've added the
feature to allow YOU to fine-tune these algorithms yourself by changing a
few numbers in one of the setup screens.

Batting Fifth: NEW, ADVANCED ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
OOTP's lineup and general management decisions used to be completely based
on the players internal ratings. OOTP6 has changed this. Now, the computer
AI will not only look at his ratings, but his current and past performance
as well. So, if the computer's cleanup hitter is going through a horrific
slump, it's much more apt to drop the player in the batting order until he
can come around. This makes the computer AI much more alive and dynamic,
increasing the immersion in solo leagues, as well as increasing the
challenge.
The in-game AI has also been revamped, making the computer field manager
more astute when it comes to pinch hitting, pitching changes, substitutions
and game strategy.
However, in keeping with OOTP's loyalty to user customization, the player
can change the percentages that the AI uses for this feature as well.

In the Sixth Slot: NEW ADVANCED AMATEUR DRAFT
Complexity in the amateur draft has been increased geometrically. Now, the
game differentiates between players drafted out of college and high school.
College players usually don't have as much upside, but they're a safer bet
to perform as expected. High school players usually have a lot of raw
potential that may or may not pan out.
OOTP6 will give you clues (via a brand new detailed scouting report) about
the best players, but there's always a chance that the certain #1 draft pick
will be a bust, while a late round pick may tap some hidden potential and
become a star.
No matter which way you go, just remember to keep money on hand to pay the
signing bonus that your top pick will demand!

And the Rest of the Lineup: EVEN MORE NEW FEATURES!
Broadcast games live over the internet: Commissioners can now broadcast a
game to the league FTP server, while it unfolds. This allows leagues to
feature live "Game of the Week", All-Star Game, and Post-Season games, if
they so desire.
More options when it comes to player ratings: You can now set the ratings to
1-5, 2-8, 1-10, 1-20, 1-100 or, turn them off completely for the ultimate
challenge!
Historical league imports from the Lahman Database have been improved for
increased accuracy.
Stealing tendencies have been added to the league era settings.
You can now include cash in trades!
Multiplayer leagues can now easily use FTP to send/receive a player's Spring
Training plan.
A new CSV-compatible import/export routine for schedules. Import any
schedule from league history and use it in OOTP!
One button automatically generates depth charts based on your lineups.
...and myriad other small features!

AND Coming Soon to an OOTP Baseball Game Near You!
A boon to multi-player leagues, full head-to-head play over the Internet!

Thanks for your patience, for all your suggestions, and for your ongoing
support during development and beta testing!
Have fun with OOTP's latest and greatest release version!

DOWNLOAD LINKS:

ftp://216.55.136.39/pub/ootp/ootp6setup.exe
http://www.mirror1.ootpdevelopments.com/ootp/ootp6setup...
http://209.235.192.175/files/ootp/ootp6setup.exe
http://www.ootp-leagues.com/files/ootp/ootp6setup.exe

--------------------------------------
We respect your privacy! To remove yourself from future mailings, please
click this link:
http://217.160.88.85/listmail/remove.php?u=d24ae33
!