Your question

Help pls. Advice needed on TV in

Tags:
  • Tuner Cards
  • TV
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
March 4, 2003 5:21:56 PM

Hi everyone... first time poster here - Pls be gentle :) 

Here's the situation. I manged to get a massive 36 inch display monitor and it is currently sitting in my livingroom doing nothing. My plan was to use it as my TV as my TV is next to dead. However cost has kept it sitting in my living room.

So I recently thought that I could get a few different functionality out of it at a relatively low cost.

So here's what I'm thinking.

The challenge:
Create a PC
Small footprint
TV in
DVD playback
Fairly high quality reliable definition
Low cost

I don't need top of the line. I'd just like a good feed.

So I'm thinking that the video card does most of the processing... so how fast of a processor would I need?
What video card offers good TV in at a reasonable price. I'm thinking I can maybe pick up a card that is several months old to save some money. Maybe even a second hand one.

So can you guys provide any help for a newb?

Thanks
Martman

More about : pls advice needed

March 5, 2003 5:32:08 AM

You mean you need Coax in from your tv cable and RCA/S-Video out to your TV? I'm not really sure what you want to do here.

If that IS the case, get an ATI All-In-Wonder, most likely an 8500. My friend has one. It even has a remote control, so you really don't need to use the mouse and keyboard.

You won't need a lot as far as a processor goes. Get a duron, as they are cheap and reasonably fast. 256MB ram should be enough, just to make sure your computer can handle the OS and all the streams. For sound, get a Guillemot Fortissimo III, or something else by Guillemot. Steer bloody clear of Creative. A 10-gig HDD would be more than enough. 5400/7200 won't really matter if it's only a TV box.

If this is also a gaming computer, get a good Athlon processor, 512MB DDR RAM, and around a 60-80GB 7200RPM drive.

That should cover it.

XP 2500+ Barton
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
MSI GF3 Ti500 w/64MB DDR
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio

My computer is bigger than your computer....
March 5, 2003 6:07:19 AM

Here are my suggestions, listen carefully:

Get an ATX Desktop case, as it will fit in a home audio system rack allong with your other audio equipement (you do have a full sized component system, no? If not, shame on you!). Then add an ATI All In Wonder 7500, which is the cheapest full featured TV-tuner card with remote.

Newegg.com has a lot of ATX Desktop cases. For example, they have <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=11-129-13..." target="_new">This Case</A> which is the same size as many home recievers (17" width, check yours). But that one's a little pricey! They have <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=11-130-11..." target="_new">This Cheaper Micro ATX Unit</A> that also looks cheap, but at least it has full heigh slots for your card. Then there's <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=11-124-03..." target="_new">This mATX Tower</A> which is designed to look nice when lying on it's side.

They have serveral other designs, but you need to look at the pictures to be certain the slots in the back are full height, not half height. If you decide on an Micro ATX case you'll need a Micro ATX board.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
March 5, 2003 7:55:10 PM

Thanks guys

Sheesh I reread my post and I'm embarrassed to say that I had trouble understanding what I was trying to say.

The monitor that I managed to get my hands on is actually a computer monitor and only has VGA in. So what I actually want is a relatively cheap computer that has DVD, TV in, and VGA out. Which is exactly what you guys gave me.

Thanks again for your help!