Unlocking a Treo 600 - Cry for help

Last response: in Network Providers
June 21, 2004 10:53:44 PM

Hello wizards,

I'm trying to find out what's the best (most reliable, fastest and
cheapest)way to start using a Treo 600 handheld phone. I currently
have a voice plan with T-Mobile and would love to keep my SIM card and
phone number.

Keeping my number with T-Mobile automatically means additional $250.
I keep reading about unlocking the Treo 600 to allow free use with any
carrier. I am a bit confused. Hopefully you can help.

1) What exactly does unlocking mean?
2) Can I just buy the cheapest Treo 600 on the market (Cingular I
think), unlock it and use my T-Mobile SIM card? Will it work?
Including data?
3) Does using an unlocked phone mean that I will not be able to
upgrade the phone's firmware?

As you can see, I am crying for help... All the other postings explain
how to unlock where I still needs to know WHAT'S GOING ON. All I want
is a new TREO 600.

Thanks in advance,
Dotan.

More about : unlocking treo 600 cry

Anonymous
June 22, 2004 2:14:23 PM

On 21 Jun 2004 18:53:44 -0700, dotan_ak@yahoo.com (DotNYC) wrote:

>1) What exactly does unlocking mean?
Carriers use a subsidy lock, so you can't move that phone to another
carrier. The GSM carriers are being sued now about that process in
California.
>2) Can I just buy the cheapest Treo 600 on the market (Cingular I
>think), unlock it and use my T-Mobile SIM card? Will it work?
>Including data?
Yes, if you can get it unlocked. I am not positive you can unlock a
Treo 600. Nokia handsets are supposedly easy to unlock. But Cingular
is going to either make you sign a 2 year contract or pay several
hundred dollars extra for that phone if you don't. You can't just
walk in, buy it, and move it to another carrier. They will be billing
you for liquidated damages.
>3) Does using an unlocked phone mean that I will not be able to
>upgrade the phone's firmware?
No relation.

This only works with GSM phones. Not with Sprintpcs phones.
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 6:39:09 PM

Dotan,
Check out the Treo 600 Hardware section on the forums at
www.treocentral.com. There are several threads discussing unlocking GSM
Treos and usage on T-Mobile.
Zane

DotNYC wrote:

> Hello wizards,
>
> I'm trying to find out what's the best (most reliable, fastest and
> cheapest)way to start using a Treo 600 handheld phone. I currently
> have a voice plan with T-Mobile and would love to keep my SIM card and
> phone number.
>
> Keeping my number with T-Mobile automatically means additional $250.
> I keep reading about unlocking the Treo 600 to allow free use with any
> carrier. I am a bit confused. Hopefully you can help.
>
> 1) What exactly does unlocking mean?
> 2) Can I just buy the cheapest Treo 600 on the market (Cingular I
> think), unlock it and use my T-Mobile SIM card? Will it work?
> Including data?
> 3) Does using an unlocked phone mean that I will not be able to
> upgrade the phone's firmware?
>
> As you can see, I am crying for help... All the other postings explain
> how to unlock where I still needs to know WHAT'S GOING ON. All I want
> is a new TREO 600.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Dotan.
June 22, 2004 8:56:51 PM

In regards to your question,

2) Treo 600's can be unlocked (at least the GSM version). I use a GSM
Treo 600 that I bought unlocked and it later became locked when I
updated the firmware. I subsequently managed to unlock it (and keep
the latest firmware).

3) This depends on how your Treo 600 was unlocked. I updated the
firmware on my unlocked Treo 600 and it locked my phone. When I
purchased my Treo 600, it was unlocked.

By the way, if your Treo 600 becomes locked, don't expect PalmOne
technical support to help you (even if your Treo 600 was originally
unlocked). They don't know anything.

"Steevo@my-deja.com" <steevo@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:<n1qgd01cqi28u68m2mk4aq5nnpq6fkgsb1@4ax.com>...
> On 21 Jun 2004 18:53:44 -0700, dotan_ak@yahoo.com (DotNYC) wrote:
>
> >1) What exactly does unlocking mean?
> Carriers use a subsidy lock, so you can't move that phone to another
> carrier. The GSM carriers are being sued now about that process in
> California.
> >2) Can I just buy the cheapest Treo 600 on the market (Cingular I
> >think), unlock it and use my T-Mobile SIM card? Will it work?
> >Including data?
> Yes, if you can get it unlocked. I am not positive you can unlock a
> Treo 600. Nokia handsets are supposedly easy to unlock. But Cingular
> is going to either make you sign a 2 year contract or pay several
> hundred dollars extra for that phone if you don't. You can't just
> walk in, buy it, and move it to another carrier. They will be billing
> you for liquidated damages.
> >3) Does using an unlocked phone mean that I will not be able to
> >upgrade the phone's firmware?
> No relation.
>
> This only works with GSM phones. Not with Sprintpcs phones.
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 12:06:25 PM

In article <7edd28a6.0406211753.90482a4@posting.google.com>,
dotan_ak@yahoo.com says...
> I'm trying to find out what's the best (most reliable, fastest and
> cheapest)way to start using a Treo 600 handheld phone. I currently
> have a voice plan with T-Mobile and would love to keep my SIM card and
> phone number.

One note: If you're intending anything with a SIM card, Sprint's
Treo 600 is not applicable. CDMA technology (and therefore the
phones using it) has no option for SIM cards in the USA. And the R-
UIM card that *does* exist in other countries isn't compatible.

--
RØß
O/Siris

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:06:25 GMT, O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com>
wrote:

>One note: If you're intending anything with a SIM card, Sprint's
>Treo 600 is not applicable. CDMA technology (and therefore the
>phones using it) has no option for SIM cards in the USA. And the R-
>UIM card that *does* exist in other countries isn't compatible.
Since w're on the subject, is it possible to get a new, never
activated CDMA Audiovox Thera that was apparently made for Verizon
activated on my sprint acct?

The phone should be compatible but there is the MSL issue.
If I get the MSL?
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 9:09:05 AM

In article <op5nd0hfcoc98k59ig01ibp1esi4sh23rc@4ax.com>, steevo@my-
deja.com says...
> Since w're on the subject, is it possible to get a new, never
> activated CDMA Audiovox Thera that was apparently made for Verizon
> activated on my sprint acct?

If it isn't officially branded for Sprint Service, Sprint will refuse
to activate it.

--
RØß
O/Siris

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 05:09:05 GMT, O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com>
wrote:

>> Since w're on the subject, is it possible to get a new, never
>> activated CDMA Audiovox Thera that was apparently made for Verizon
>> activated on my sprint acct?
>>

>If it isn't officially branded for Sprint Service, Sprint will refuse
>to activate it.

But could they?

This is the problem with CDMA, and the advantage of GSM. It's not the
providers business what kind of device I care to use, I shouldn't have
to say "mother may I?"

With GSM, as long as the device is unlocked they have no business what
I am using as long as I have a SIM and pay my bill. That's a
beautiful system IMHO.
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 1:56:00 AM

On 21 Jun 2004 18:53:44 -0700, dotan_ak@yahoo.com (DotNYC) wrote:

>Hello wizards,
>
>I'm trying to find out what's the best (most reliable, fastest and
>cheapest)way to start using a Treo 600 handheld phone. I currently
>have a voice plan with T-Mobile and would love to keep my SIM card and
>phone number.
<snip>

1. Do you own the phone already?

1A. If you have not bought it yet, then don't buy from ATTWS or
other locking carriers.

1B. If you have bought it, move on to Question 2.

2. If you have already bought it, is it the CDMA (Sprint-only) model or the
GSM model (all other carriers)?

2A. If Sprint, you are doomed, It will never work with other carriers, as
Sprint will not unlock it. In addition, even if it could be unlocked, it
could only work on other CDMA carriers (e.g., Verizon), and never on
T-Mobile, as the radios in the phone are completely incompatible.

2B. If it is a GSM model, which carrier did you buy it from, or for use
with?

Please respond with the needed information, so we might be able to tell you
something useful.
--
John Bartley K7AAY http://celdata.cjb.net
This post quad-ROT-13 encrypted; reading it violates the DMCA.

In article <soj1e0p6b0c6rddcfugvkt63dfc57ltqbi@4ax.com>, steevo@my-
deja.com says...
> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 05:09:05 GMT, O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com>
> wrote:
>
> >> Since w're on the subject, is it possible to get a new, never
> >> activated CDMA Audiovox Thera that was apparently made for Verizon
> >> activated on my sprint acct?
> >>

> >If it isn't officially branded for Sprint Service, Sprint will refuse
> >to activate it.
>
> But could they?
>
> This is the problem with CDMA, and the advantage of GSM. It's not the
> providers business what kind of device I care to use, I shouldn't have
> to say "mother may I?"

The *only* real advantage. And I remind you, every upgrade path for
GSM leads to CDMA.

--
RØß
O/Siris