Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Duplicate IP address and Mozilla Firefox is gone

Last response: in Windows 7
February 21, 2010 6:38:33 PM

Hi! I came across this forum and am hoping that someone here can help me out. I'm sure many of you would know a solution but I need it in layman's term since I am not all that great with computers. My problem is that my brother is the computer whiz and he's gone away for a couple months and it's not possible to call him up and ask him to help me.

This morning, I went to turn on my laptop and I get this message about a duplicate IP address. I also notice that Mozilla Firefox is no longer on the computer. I am able to access the internet via Internet Explorer though (which I am currently using). Windows Help tells me to run the troubleshooter but all I get back is that it doesn't detect any problems.

My question is, is the duplicate IP address a problem? If so, how would I resolve it? I've tried google but all the technical jargon has me even more confused.

Any help at all would be awesome and greatly appreciated, thanks so much! :love: 

a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
February 21, 2010 7:05:12 PM

To check if Firefox is still on your laptop. On the Start Menu type firefox into the bottom search bar. Does it still show up in the Programs Category?
If it's still there, right click on the icon and choose Pin to Start Menu (or Pin to Taskbard, or pin to both) to make it easy to find again.

If you can still connect to the internet the duplicate IP address isn't a critical problem.
What else is connected to your local network that could also be using that IP address?
m
l
February 21, 2010 11:12:58 PM

No the Mozilla Firefox folder under All Programs is empty. The wireless network has two other computers in addition to my laptop but nothing has changed about them since my brother left.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
February 21, 2010 11:32:21 PM

I'm having exactly the same problem. I don't like using IE, but have no other option until this is fixed.
m
l

Best solution

a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
February 22, 2010 10:58:02 AM

Under Accessories, run "Command Prompt" (Run As Admin For Vista/7) and type in ipconfig /release (Yes, That Is A Space), enter, this will release your i.p.

Now type ipconfig /renew, enter, to get a new i.p., check for any messages and network access.

As for Firefox, simpliest way is to download and reinstall.
February 23, 2010 10:13:37 PM

Cool, thanks! How do I know if it worked?

After I renewed, I get the message "No operation can be performed on Wireless Network 2 while it has its media disconnected." Then "No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected."

After that, it says "media disconnected" each time "media state" is listed.

Under "wireless LAN adapter Wireless network connection", "connection-specific DNS suffix" is domain.invalid. I do have numbers for Link-local IPv6 Address, IPv4 Address, Subnet mask, and default gateway.

As for Mozilla, I figured that's what I would have to do but wasn't sure if this was a result of the duplicate IP address problem or something separate altogether. I found it wierd that it would just up and disappear completely like that.

Thanks again!!
m
l
March 3, 2010 1:35:53 AM

Best answer selected by tm hoang.
m
l
!