Fun with the OOTP6 Crew

Had to laugh that there is already a bit of whining about bugs. Isn't this
always the case? The moron that works on the game claimed he was still
coding days before the release. I think bugs were already predicted.

So I had to check the forum the fanboy was kind enough to post. Topic #1
just killed me:

***Please post all spelling/typos/grammar errors here****

WTF???

Jayhawker
10 answers Last reply
More about ootp6 crew
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 16:59:31 GMT, Jayhawker <rock.chalk@jayhawks.net>
    wrote:

    >***Please post all spelling/typos/grammar errors here****
    >
    >WTF???

    OOTP is a fine game, probably the best baseball sim for what it does.
    It is nowhere near the ChampMan of baseball that its fans claim, but
    it's fun, it's good and getting better, and that's OK.

    And what follows is speculation on my part. But I've always felt,
    since the beginning of the series, that OOTP is clearly programmed by
    someone who comes to baseball as a second language, if you will. He's
    got programming skills, he's picked up a lot of baseball knowledge,
    but he's from Germany, I believe, it's kinda like if I programmed
    Championship Manager: I might get it close to right, but there would
    be little things that weren't quite right, because I speak soccer as a
    second language.

    And so, OOTP has a promotion you can run to get more fans in the
    seats. It's called "Noddin' Head Doll Day." Now this is v.minor, I
    know, but I think it says something about a fundamental flaw in OOTP:
    the programmer doesn't know they're called "bobbleheads."

    This doesn't mean OOTP is a bad game ... it's a good game, I've been
    enjoying it for years. But I'm never surprised when there are grammar
    bugs, let's put it that way.

    Steven
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    >Now this is v.minor, I
    >know, but I think it says something about a fundamental flaw in OOTP:
    >the programmer doesn't know they're called "bobbleheads."

    YEP, that settles it! "Noddin' Heads", huh? This game must be fundamentally
    broken as this is a game killing bug!!!! I think you're onto something here
    (not). That, sir, is a pretty stupid and pointless example. The fact that
    Markus doesn't call them bobbleheads implies ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about any
    "fundamental flaws" in the game.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    On 19 Apr 2004 03:30:13 GMT, thirdandten@aol.comNoSpAm (ThE AnArKrIsT)
    wrote:

    >>Now this is v.minor, I
    >>know, but I think it says something about a fundamental flaw in OOTP:
    >>the programmer doesn't know they're called "bobbleheads."
    >
    >YEP, that settles it! "Noddin' Heads", huh? This game must be fundamentally
    >broken as this is a game killing bug!!!! I think you're onto something here
    >(not). That, sir, is a pretty stupid and pointless example. The fact that
    >Markus doesn't call them bobbleheads implies ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about any
    >"fundamental flaws" in the game.

    I believe that "bobblehead" is a copyrighted name or registered
    trademark, whichever applies.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    wrote:

    >>Now this is v.minor, I
    >>know, but I think it says something about a fundamental flaw in OOTP:
    >>the programmer doesn't know they're called "bobbleheads."
    >
    >YEP, that settles it! "Noddin' Heads", huh? This game must be fundamentally
    >broken as this is a game killing bug!!!! I think you're onto something here
    >(not). That, sir, is a pretty stupid and pointless example. The fact that
    >Markus doesn't call them bobbleheads implies ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about any
    >"fundamental flaws" in the game.

    No, it isn't a stupid and pointless example. OOTP has always had a
    certain feel to it, that it was programmed by an alien to baseball.
    That doesn't make it a bad game, but it is a lot like a game where you
    know more about baseball from books than from sitting at the ballpark
    or playing it after school. I could be wrong about Markus and his
    baseball experience, but the game does play that way.

    It's a fine game, I've been playing it since the first version. And I
    said nothing about "noddin' heads" being a game-killing bug. It just
    points to something odd about the game that is also reflected in the
    misspellings and bizarre grammar that pops up in OOTP on occasion,
    which was how this thread started in the first place.

    Steven
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    On 4/18/04 10:30 PM, in article
    20040418233013.28636.00000040@mb-m17.aol.com, "ThE AnArKrIsT"
    <thirdandten@aol.comNoSpAm> wrote:

    >> Now this is v.minor, I
    >> know, but I think it says something about a fundamental flaw in OOTP:
    >> the programmer doesn't know they're called "bobbleheads."
    >
    > YEP, that settles it! "Noddin' Heads", huh? This game must be fundamentally
    > broken as this is a game killing bug!!!! I think you're onto something here
    > (not). That, sir, is a pretty stupid and pointless example. The fact that
    > Markus doesn't call them bobbleheads implies ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about any
    > "fundamental flaws" in the game.

    It's not a serious baseball game, and it is aimed at dweebs like you.

    Just enjoy the game and stop worrying about what the folks with thumbs have
    to say about it.

    Jayhawker
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 19:56:24 -0700, Steven Rubio wrote:

    > On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 16:59:31 GMT, Jayhawker <rock.chalk@jayhawks.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>***Please post all spelling/typos/grammar errors here****
    >>
    >>WTF???
    >
    > OOTP is a fine game, probably the best baseball sim for what it does.
    > It is nowhere near the ChampMan of baseball that its fans claim, but
    > it's fun, it's good and getting better, and that's OK.
    >
    > And what follows is speculation on my part. But I've always felt,
    > since the beginning of the series, that OOTP is clearly programmed by
    > someone who comes to baseball as a second language, if you will. He's
    > got programming skills, he's picked up a lot of baseball knowledge,
    > but he's from Germany, I believe, it's kinda like if I programmed
    > Championship Manager: I might get it close to right, but there would
    > be little things that weren't quite right, because I speak soccer as a
    > second language.
    >
    > And so, OOTP has a promotion you can run to get more fans in the
    > seats. It's called "Noddin' Head Doll Day." Now this is v.minor, I
    > know, but I think it says something about a fundamental flaw in OOTP:
    > the programmer doesn't know they're called "bobbleheads."
    >
    > This doesn't mean OOTP is a bad game ... it's a good game, I've been
    > enjoying it for years. But I'm never surprised when there are grammar
    > bugs, let's put it that way.
    >
    > Steven

    I agree with you completely. OOTP is a great game, but every so often you
    find phrases like "Noddin' Head Doll" that just sound wrong. It is a minor
    problem, but it does hurt the overall feel of the game. I can understand it
    if Bobblehead is a trademarked term and OOTP can't use it though.

    My favorite example is more of a minor programming bug, but it still made
    me laugh out loud. In this case, I was reading the scouting report for a
    player who was a pure DH and had no ratings at any defensive position
    (which seems wrong to me all by itself). The scouting report gave a
    reasonable description of his hitting skills and then said:

    "Shaun is a very good designated hitter defensively. He seems to know where
    the ball is going before it leaves the bat, makes fantastic reads and takes
    good routes to the ball."

    Despite this glowing recommendation, I didn't draft him.

    Sumbuddy
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    "Steven Rubio" <srubio@sonic.net> wrote in message

    > No, it isn't a stupid and pointless example. OOTP has always had a
    > certain feel to it, that it was programmed by an alien to baseball.
    > That doesn't make it a bad game, but it is a lot like a game where you
    > know more about baseball from books than from sitting at the ballpark
    > or playing it after school. I could be wrong about Markus and his
    > baseball experience, but the game does play that way.

    *POW*

    Dead - Solid - Perfect.

    Excellent description and truly valid.

    It just never "felt" right. Like .. all the PARTS were there but it never
    assembled in to something truly cohesive that was entirely logical.

    But the man has a following so adamant and devoted David Koresh or Jim Jones
    would sneer with envy. So, I just "let it be". But .. you're not the only
    that feels that way, Steven.

    Something .. something's just not right.

    JB
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 18:08:25 GMT, "JawBreaker"
    <NOSPAMJawBreaker@stealrage.com> wrote:

    >But the man has a following so adamant and devoted David Koresh or Jim Jones
    >would sneer with envy. So, I just "let it be". But .. you're not the only
    >that feels that way, Steven.
    >
    >Something .. something's just not right.

    Well, he has a following because he's created a very enjoyable game
    that fills a particular need: despite its shortcomings, it is the
    closest thing out there to a baseball ChampMan. His fans are
    understandably grateful that such a game exists, so they probably
    overstate the quality of the game to a certain extent. The problem is
    that Championship Manager both creates the desire for similar games in
    other sports, and sets the bar so high that it's unlikely anyone will
    clear it.

    But if you are an American baseball fan with only minimal knowledge of
    soccer (and I imagine that's a lot of gamers ... me, I have season tix
    to both SF Giants and SJ Earthquakes), and ChampMan is 9.5 on a scale
    of 10, then you might become very attached to a baseball sim like OOTP
    that is still only in the 5-6 out of ten range but simulates a sport
    you actually know.

    If I'm right about Markus's background, it actually makes OOTP even
    more remarkable ... it's as good as it is, and the creator isn't a
    "native" fan of the sport? All props to the guy if that's the case.

    Steven
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    In article <b5f6405.0405020624.7e297642@posting.google.com>,
    sportsbiz2121@yahoo.com says...

    >(takes bow)
    >Who are you, his Da-Da? Ooohhh "The Idiotic One" has spoken, I guess
    >we should run for our lives.

    Well, you've made it clear you're an idiot on all subjects, not just this one.
    Again, I tip my hat to your rare honesty in embracing your mental deficiency.

    -Tim
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    try@again.spammers (The Enigmatic One) wrote in message news:<mSalc.70191$f_5.27443@lakeread01>...
    > In article <b5f6405.0405020624.7e297642@posting.google.com>,
    > sportsbiz2121@yahoo.com says...
    >
    > >(takes bow)
    > >Who are you, his Da-Da? Ooohhh "The Idiotic One" has spoken, I guess
    > >we should run for our lives.
    >
    > Well, you've made it clear you're an idiot on all subjects, not just this one.
    > Again, I tip my hat to your rare honesty in embracing your mental deficiency.
    >

    > -Tim

    I wish we all could be as articulate as you. Please, enlighten us
    some more on your wisdom.

    In fact, post more often.. at least I'll have something to read more
    than once a week.

    I tip my hat back at you!

    -KT

PC gaming Games Bug Video Games