Locking RCA Connectors

Last response: in Home Audio
February 9, 2005 10:02:07 PM

I am looking for locking RCA connectors for a non-audiophile project.
That is they have a collet that tightens with a twist on to the female
chassis mount.
Now I have done innumerable Google searches and keep coming up with
(gold-plated slightly overpriced for my project) Caddilac Escalades while
I'm looking for a Jeep. Plain steel or mixed metal, I don't need the gold or
silver plating, just a solderable locking RCA plug for an OEM project.
Already been to Mouser and others. If someone has a source for these
things, please let me know. Locking is the essential point here, since they
will be carrying voltage.

ajacobs2@tampabay.rr.com

More about : locking rca connectors

Anonymous
February 9, 2005 10:02:08 PM

Al Jacobson <ajacobs2@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>I am looking for locking RCA connectors for a non-audiophile project.
>That is they have a collet that tightens with a twist on to the female
>chassis mount.
>Now I have done innumerable Google searches and keep coming up with
>(gold-plated slightly overpriced for my project) Caddilac Escalades while
>I'm looking for a Jeep. Plain steel or mixed metal, I don't need the gold or
>silver plating, just a solderable locking RCA plug for an OEM project.
>Already been to Mouser and others. If someone has a source for these
>things, please let me know. Locking is the essential point here, since they
>will be carrying voltage.

The cheapest you will find is the Canare one, which doesn't really lock
very tightly.

If you actually want a connector that is secure and locks into place, the
RCA is probably the last place to look. The RCA connector hardly works at
all even in the best of circumstances.
--scott
February 9, 2005 10:02:08 PM

www.dalbani.com, stock #15-0205 is a gold plated faithful copy of the expensive WBT
locking-ground RCA, but it's only $2.50 in 10+ quantities. You can easily lock them tight
enough to rip out the ground sleeve of any cheap sheetmetal & plastic rca jack.

--
Stephen Sank, Owner & Ribbon Mic Restorer
Talking Dog Transducer Company
"Al Jacobson" <ajacobs2@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
news:p 6tOd.51475$JF2.650@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> I am looking for locking RCA connectors for a non-audiophile project.
> That is they have a collet that tightens with a twist on to the female
> chassis mount.
> Now I have done innumerable Google searches and keep coming up with
> (gold-plated slightly overpriced for my project) Caddilac Escalades while
> I'm looking for a Jeep. Plain steel or mixed metal, I don't need the gold or
> silver plating, just a solderable locking RCA plug for an OEM project.
> Already been to Mouser and others. If someone has a source for these
> things, please let me know. Locking is the essential point here, since they
> will be carrying voltage.
>
> ajacobs2@tampabay.rr.com

Related resources
February 9, 2005 10:02:08 PM

Having to wonder what is overpriced, how about BNC's or Speakon
connectors, they both lock.

Don

http://www.gigcables.com/CNconnectors.html

Al Jacobson wrote:
> I am looking for locking RCA connectors for a non-audiophile project.
> That is they have a collet that tightens with a twist on to the female
> chassis mount.
> Now I have done innumerable Google searches and keep coming up with
> (gold-plated slightly overpriced for my project) Caddilac Escalades while
> I'm looking for a Jeep. Plain steel or mixed metal, I don't need the gold or
> silver plating, just a solderable locking RCA plug for an OEM project.
> Already been to Mouser and others. If someone has a source for these
> things, please let me know. Locking is the essential point here, since they
> will be carrying voltage.
>
> ajacobs2@tampabay.rr.com

Anonymous
February 9, 2005 10:02:08 PM

In article <P6tOd.51475$JF2.650@tornado.tampabay.rr.com> ajacobs2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> I am looking for locking RCA connectors for a non-audiophile project.
> That is they have a collet that tightens with a twist on to the female
> chassis mount.
> Now I have done innumerable Google searches and keep coming up with
> (gold-plated slightly overpriced for my project) Caddilac Escalades while
> I'm looking for a Jeep. Plain steel or mixed metal, I don't need the gold or
> silver plating, just a solderable locking RCA plug for an OEM project.

Unfortunately, the RCA was designed as a cheap connector and it takes
companies that make gold plated banana plugs and 2/0 gage AC power
cords to take the initiative to set up machining for a premium RCA
connector. Those are the only kind you'll ever find unless you take on
manufacturing yourself.

Why don't you step back a bit and reconsider your choice of connector.
A BNC takes up just about the same amount of space, it's locking
(bayonet), it's solid, it has a fairly predictable characteristic
impedance, and gold plating, whether you need it or not, is standard
for the contact pin.

February 9, 2005 10:05:33 PM

"Al Jacobson" <ajacobs2@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
news:p 6tOd.51475$JF2.650@tornado.tampabay.rr.com
> I am looking for locking RCA connectors for a non-audiophile project.
> That is they have a collet that tightens with a twist on to the female
> chassis mount.

What about these?

http://wholesaleaudioaccessories.com/Merchant2/merchant...
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 10:40:33 PM

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 19:02:07 GMT, "Al Jacobson"
<ajacobs2@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> locking RCA plug for an OEM project.
> Locking is the essential point here, since they
>will be carrying voltage.

If there's a safety issue involved, you really might
want to rethink this. Just a thought.

Imagine your child or grandchild loose around it, and
judge safety standards from that. FWIW.

Good fortune,

Chris Hornbeck
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 11:05:46 PM

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 19:02:07 GMT, Al Jacobson <ajacobs2@tampabay.rr.com>
wrote:
> I am looking for locking RCA connectors for a non-audiophile project.
> That is they have a collet that tightens with a twist on to the female
> chassis mount.

No such animal of which I'm aware.

Do you have a picture? What you're describing could be an F-connector
(standard 75-Ohm cable TV), a BNC connector (Bayonett snap connection),
plus numerous other things.

Take a look at Pasternack Engineering for examples. They're a bit
pricey, but they have most everything you might ever need.

So long as you maintain the convention, "If it's HOT it's FEMALE" (think
about it) you should be safe regarding voltage assuming you're within
the working voltage of the connector in question.

An RCA connector is probably rated at 300V, but I wouldn't use it above
10V as it's not especially well protected.

For high voltages and currents, there are connectors that will do most
anything you need assuming you can afford them. Permenant wiring is
usually cheaper, however.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 11:26:23 PM

"Al Jacobson" wrote ...
> I am looking for locking RCA connectors for a non-audiophile project.
> Locking is the essential point here, since they will be carrying
> voltage.

Good responses to see all the sources of locking RCAs,
but the basic question is *WHY* do you think you want
to use RCA in this application? Doesn't sound appropriate
if they will be "carrying voltage".
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 11:38:17 PM

In article <cudu66$j3a$1@reader2.nmix.net> bk11@thuntek.net writes:

> www.dalbani.com, stock #15-0205 is a gold plated faithful copy of the expensive
> WBT
> locking-ground RCA, but it's only $2.50 in 10+ quantities.

Leave it to the Chinese to make a working copy of something that looks
cool. Y'know, I'll bet I saw (and ignored) some of those when I passed
by a booth at the NAMM show where they had a tray of all sorts of
assorted connectors.

Are the terminals made of something that solders well? That's one of
the problems that I've had with a few of the Chinese XLR connectors on
cables when I've had to repair them.

February 10, 2005 2:01:38 AM

Al,
I'm sure you're familiar with Quantum and their batteries. That's the only
place I've ever seen the locking-collar RCA's you are talking about. Go
here: http://www.qtm.com/battery/qb1p_main.html and click on the link at
the bottom for ME or ME4 and you'll see the plug I'm talking about. You
might be able to buy some off of Quantum or find out who their supplier is.

dave
st. pete, fl

"Al Jacobson" <ajacobs2@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
news:p 6tOd.51475$JF2.650@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>I am looking for locking RCA connectors for a non-audiophile project. That
>is they have a collet that tightens with a twist on to the female chassis
>mount.
> Now I have done innumerable Google searches and keep coming up with
> (gold-plated slightly overpriced for my project) Caddilac Escalades while
> I'm looking for a Jeep. Plain steel or mixed metal, I don't need the gold
> or silver plating, just a solderable locking RCA plug for an OEM project.
> Already been to Mouser and others. If someone has a source for these
> things, please let me know. Locking is the essential point here, since
> they will be carrying voltage.
>
> ajacobs2@tampabay.rr.com

February 10, 2005 2:57:43 AM

Knowing Al, it will probably be 12vdc or lower.

dave

> "Al Jacobson" wrote ...
>> I am looking for locking RCA connectors for a non-audiophile project.
>> Locking is the essential point here, since they will be carrying voltage.
>
> Good responses to see all the sources of locking RCAs,
> but the basic question is *WHY* do you think you want
> to use RCA in this application? Doesn't sound appropriate
> if they will be "carrying voltage".
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 6:28:41 PM

Hey Dave,
Correctamundo, my battery packs (One model in specific, the Quantum
alternative...) have to go along with the Quantum Plugs so they are
interchangeable. I agree with everyone else that there are better plugs out
there but the Quantum boys did set the bar with the use of the original
non-locking RCA which is really not the best choice. They also use 1/8
stereo plugs on their bantam series, even scarier.

At least the locking version corrects one half of the equation. Actually
the best all round plugs I have used other than the Molex and Dins is
something Norman and others have used. and still do....the household plug.
My fear would be is that some idiot would plug a 6Volt unit directly into
110 AC......

Many of my customers are Quantum owners and already have the other half of
the componentry.. I just want something better than the usual RCA plug to
offer If I have to customize a cord. I have never gotten a unit back and so
far TG no mini-mushroom clouds
On my big stuff I'm using either din plugs or microphone two parts and very
Heavy Duty

Thanks to all those who responded with answer and concerns.

I humbly appreciate it....

"Dave" <davemor@knology.net> wrote in message
> Knowing Al, it will probably be 12vdc or lower.
>
> dave
>

> "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message
>> "Al Jacobson" wrote ...
>>> I am looking for locking RCA connectors for a non-audiophile project.
>>> Locking is the essential point here, since they will be carrying
>>> voltage.
>>
>> Good responses to see all the sources of locking RCAs,
>> but the basic question is *WHY* do you think you want
>> to use RCA in this application? Doesn't sound appropriate
>> if they will be "carrying voltage".

Anonymous
February 10, 2005 6:30:23 PM

Thank you for your help and advise. I emailed them for quotes in 10's and
100's.

"Stephen Sank" <bk11@thuntek.net> wrote in message
> www.dalbani.com, stock #15-0205 is a gold plated faithful copy of the
> expensive WBT
> locking-ground RCA, but it's only $2.50 in 10+ quantities. You can easily
> lock them tight
> enough to rip out the ground sleeve of any cheap sheetmetal & plastic rca
> jack.
>
> --
> Stephen Sank, Owner & Ribbon Mic Restorer
> Talking Dog Transducer Company
> http://stephensank.com
> 5517 Carmelita Drive N.E.
> Albuquerque, New Mexico [87111]
> 505-332-0336
> Auth. Nakamichi & McIntosh servicer
> Payments preferred through Paypal.com
> "Al Jacobson" <ajacobs2@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:p 6tOd.51475$JF2.650@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>> I am looking for locking RCA connectors for a non-audiophile project.
>> That is they have a collet that tightens with a twist on to the female
>> chassis mount.
>> Now I have done innumerable Google searches and keep coming up with
>> (gold-plated slightly overpriced for my project) Caddilac Escalades while
>> I'm looking for a Jeep. Plain steel or mixed metal, I don't need the gold
>> or
>> silver plating, just a solderable locking RCA plug for an OEM project.
>> Already been to Mouser and others. If someone has a source for these
>> things, please let me know. Locking is the essential point here, since
>> they
>> will be carrying voltage.
>>
>> ajacobs2@tampabay.rr.com

Anonymous
February 10, 2005 6:31:48 PM

Appreciate your concerns but in the product we build it restricted to less
than 6 volts and has been used succesfully. Al;so not commonly used around
kids...

"Chris Hornbeck" <chrishornbeckremovethis@att.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 19:02:07 GMT, "Al Jacobson"
> <ajacobs2@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> locking RCA plug for an OEM project.
>> Locking is the essential point here, since they
>>will be carrying voltage.
>
> If there's a safety issue involved, you really might
> want to rethink this. Just a thought.
>
> Imagine your child or grandchild loose around it, and
> judge safety standards from that. FWIW.
>
> Good fortune,
>
> Chris Hornbeck
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 6:34:09 PM

Al Jacobson <ajacobs2@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>Appreciate your concerns but in the product we build it restricted to less
>than 6 volts and has been used succesfully. Al;so not commonly used around
>kids...

I have never seen the RCA connector used successfully for anything, not
even audio. But I agree that if you've got to go the RCA route, that is
probably the connector configuration to use.
--scott

February 10, 2005 6:34:22 PM

Too expensive for the project.
Thats a Caddilac ESP, I need a WWII Jeep

> "Al Jacobson" <ajacobs2@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:p 6tOd.51475$JF2.650@tornado.tampabay.rr.com
>> I am looking for locking RCA connectors for a non-audiophile project.
>> That is they have a collet that tightens with a twist on to the female
>> chassis mount.
>
> What about these?
>
> http://wholesaleaudioaccessories.com/Merchant2/merchant...

Anonymous
February 10, 2005 6:34:23 PM

> Too expensive for the project.
> Thats a Caddilac ESP, I need a WWII Jeep

>> "Al Jacobson" <ajacobs2@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
>> news:p 6tOd.51475$JF2.650@tornado.tampabay.rr.com
>>> I am looking for locking RCA connectors for a non-audiophile project.
>>> That is they have a collet that tightens with a twist on to the female
>>> chassis mount.
>>
>> What about these?
>>
>> http://wholesaleaudioaccessories.com/Merchant2/merchant...

Read it again. I appears to me that they are selling 12 plugs for $28--- a
little over $2.00 each. That seems reasonable to me.

Steve King
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 7:22:37 PM

That was my first shot.
Thats the plug I wanted and Lorrie the owner of Quantum has made off -shore,
and the secret location is like CIA in nature. Lately I noticed on several
units different locking plugs ( one was gold, one grey) so either the source
has dried and they went elsewhere or just getting them on the open market. I
knew they don't buy their all their good cables from Paramount cables
anymore ( excellent and expensive) and went offshore ( aka-Wal-Mart) to
China..... I've got one from the off-shore and the cover (like the rubber
or plastic covering) is degaussing or dulling out.

Tanks...... never bring a Humvee to an Abrams party.....

> Al,
> I'm sure you're familiar with Quantum and their batteries. That's the only
> place I've ever seen the locking-collar RCA's you are talking about. Go
> here: http://www.qtm.com/battery/qb1p_main.html and click on the link at
> the bottom for ME or ME4 and you'll see the plug I'm talking about. You
> might be able to buy some off of Quantum or find out who their supplier
> is.
>
> dave
> st. pete, fl
>

> "Al Jacobson" <ajacobs2@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:p 6tOd.51475$JF2.650@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>>I am looking for locking RCA connectors for a non-audiophile project. That
>>is they have a collet that tightens with a twist on to the female chassis
>>mount.
>> Now I have done innumerable Google searches and keep coming up with
>> (gold-plated slightly overpriced for my project) Caddilac Escalades while
>> I'm looking for a Jeep. Plain steel or mixed metal, I don't need the gold
>> or silver plating, just a solderable locking RCA plug for an OEM project.
>> Already been to Mouser and others. If someone has a source for these
>> things, please let me know. Locking is the essential point here, since
>> they will be carrying voltage.
>>
>> ajacobs2@tampabay.rr.com

Anonymous
February 10, 2005 8:29:47 PM

I mis-read it thats close to what I need, I appreciate all the help you guys
(or gals) have been

Thanks again........

"Steve King" <steve@45steveking57.net> wrote in message
> "Al Jacobson" <ajacobs2@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Too expensive for the project.
>> Thats a Caddilac ESP, I need a WWII Jeep
>>

>> "Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com> wrote in message
>>> "Al Jacobson" <ajacobs2@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> news:p 6tOd.51475$JF2.650@tornado.tampabay.rr.com
>>>
>>> What about these?
>>>
>>> http://wholesaleaudioaccessories.com/Merchant2/merchant...
>>>
> Read it again. I appears to me that they are selling 12 plugs for $28---
> a little over $2.00 each. That seems reasonable to me.
>
> Steve King

Anonymous
February 11, 2005 8:32:50 PM

>>> Too expensive for the project.
>>> Thats a Caddilac ESP, I need a WWII Jeep

>> Read it again. I appears to me that they are selling 12 plugs for
>> $28--- a little over $2.00 each. That seems reasonable to me.

> I mis-read it thats close to what I need, I appreciate all the help
> you guys (or gals) have been

> Thanks again........

Thanks for demonstrating the point that I was trying to make to the website
owner in another post, about the failings of the too-subtle means he uses to
indicate that his prices, while high for singles, are fine for the actual
multiple sales they apply to.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 9:17:45 PM

Mike Rivers wrote:

> I've just never found a Neutrik XLR that I liked to assemble and
> disassemble. The classic Switchcraft A3F/M is just SO much better than
> any Neutrik when it comes to handling it in the shop.

I am of exactly the opposite opinion. I have several times in the field
fixed a broken solder joint and found opening and closing the Neutrik
with my bare hands instead of needing a screwdriver delightful. And no
loose little screws to lose. I have yet to have a Neutrik fail on me,
structurally, in the field. If I never have to touch a Switchcraft XLR
again I will very much appreciate it. And then there were the older
Cannon XLR's. My gawd, what a pile of tiny parts to go astray.

--
ha
Anonymous

> Mike Rivers wrote:
>
>> I've just never found a Neutrik XLR that I liked to assemble and
>> disassemble. The classic Switchcraft A3F/M is just SO much better
>> than any Neutrik when it comes to handling it in the shop.
>
> I am of exactly the opposite opinion.

Agreed.

> I have several times in the field fixed a broken solder joint and found
> opening and closing the
> Neutrik with my bare hands instead of needing a screwdriver
> delightful.

Been there, done that. Makes troubshooting cables a lot easier.

> And no loose little screws to lose.

Life can be good!

> I have yet to have a Neutrik fail on me, structurally, in the field.

Even when abused.

> If I never have to
> touch a Switchcraft XLR again I will very much appreciate it.

I swore off of competitive XLRs the first time I ever had to assemble a
Neutrik. And, the price is right.

> And then there were the older Cannon XLR's. My gawd, what a pile of tiny
> parts to go astray.

Assembling XLRs was not fun in the bad old days when only the classic
designs were available.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 10:55:10 PM

hank alrich <walkinay@thegrid.net> wrote:
> Mike Rivers wrote:

>> I've just never found a Neutrik XLR that I liked to assemble and
>> disassemble. The classic Switchcraft A3F/M is just SO much better than
>> any Neutrik when it comes to handling it in the shop.

> I am of exactly the opposite opinion. I have several times in the field
> fixed a broken solder joint and found opening and closing the Neutrik
> with my bare hands instead of needing a screwdriver delightful. And no
> loose little screws to lose. I have yet to have a Neutrik fail on me,
> structurally, in the field. If I never have to touch a Switchcraft XLR
> again I will very much appreciate it. And then there were the older
> Cannon XLR's. My gawd, what a pile of tiny parts to go astray.

I agree. It's the 1/4 inch TS and TRS stuff that I don't like from
Neutrik. I find those difficult to solder while I like working with
Switchcraft 1/4 inch. I have to admit, I feel better about Neutrik
strain-relief, though on 1/4 inch.

Rob R.
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 12:41:45 AM

Rob Reedijk wrote:

> It's the 1/4 inch TS and TRS stuff that I don't like from
> Neutrik.

Yep, that's a pain, but I have a routine that eases it for me, the crux
of which is a Panavise to hold the plug just the way I like it.

> I find those difficult to solder while I like working with
> Switchcraft 1/4 inch. I have to admit, I feel better about Neutrik
> strain-relief, though on 1/4 inch.

Me, too, and the proof for me has been in the failure-rate pudding. I
still use the Switchcraft right angle 1/4" TS's for instrument cables,
with shrinkwrap over the solder connection, yet under the crimp-down
strain reliever, then another layer of shrinkwrap over all that and out
the plug cap. I'll try the Neutrik right angle one of these days, but so
far that has been more than I've been willing to spend for the function.

--
ha
Anonymous

In article <1grtcqq.1adqn5ud1jdofN%walkinay@thegrid.net> walkinay@thegrid.net writes:

> I am of exactly the opposite opinion. I have several times in the field
> fixed a broken solder joint and found opening and closing the Neutrik
> with my bare hands instead of needing a screwdriver delightful. And no
> loose little screws to lose.

I never go into the field without a screwdriver. Or a soldering iron.
Or an Altoids box to hold the little screws (which, by the way, you
don't have to remove to disassemble a Switchcraft XLR.

February 12, 2005 10:27:02 PM

Arny Krueger wrote:

> "hank alrich" wrote:
> > Mike Rivers wrote:

> > And then there were the older Cannon XLR's. My gawd, what a pile of tiny
> > parts to go astray.

> Assembling XLRs was not fun in the bad old days when only the classic
> designs were available.

Scott Dorsey likes the old Cannon XLR's because in his garage there are
thousands of little parts of them and in a pinch he could tip his garage
up on edge and have parts for plenty XLR's.

--
ha
Anonymous

Mike Rivers wrote:

> walkinaywrites:

> > I am of exactly the opposite opinion. I have several times in the field
> > fixed a broken solder joint and found opening and closing the Neutrik
> > with my bare hands instead of needing a screwdriver delightful. And no
> > loose little screws to lose.

> I never go into the field without a screwdriver.

Me, either, but if I don't have to carry another tool with me up to the
stage...

> Or a soldering iron.

Ditto.

> Or an Altoids box to hold the little screws (which, by the way, you
> don't have to remove to disassemble a Switchcraft XLR.

I'll wager many humans working quickly under presssure will wind up
removing the strain relief screws whether or not they intend to or need
to. In any case, by the time you have your screwdriver in the slot for
the first screw to loosen, I will have a Neutrik XLR open and ready for
remedial administration. This might be the only technical move I'd wager
to manage faster than you. <g>

Altoids cans, another tool to carry.

--
ha
Anonymous

In article <1grvaf7.kopaj11spt0jlN%walkinay@thegrid.net> walkinay@thegrid.net writes:

> I'll wager many humans working quickly under presssure will wind up
> removing the strain relief screws whether or not they intend to or need
> to. In any case, by the time you have your screwdriver in the slot for
> the first screw to loosen, I will have a Neutrik XLR open and ready for
> remedial administration. This might be the only technical move I'd wager
> to manage faster than you. <g>

I should send you one of these new Neutrik XLRs I picked up at the
NAMM show. I'd have a Switchcraft resoldered while you were still
trying to find a second pair of pliers to unscrew the backshell.

February 14, 2005 12:11:54 AM

Mike Rivers wrote:

> I should send you one of these new Neutrik XLRs I picked up at the
> NAMM show. I'd have a Switchcraft resoldered while you were still
> trying to find a second pair of pliers to unscrew the backshell.

If they're "improved" I might be too old to work 'em. <g>

But I always carry Vise-Grips, too.

--
ha
Anonymous

> In article <1grvaf7.kopaj11spt0jlN%walkinay@thegrid.net>
> walkinay@thegrid.net writes:
>
>> I'll wager many humans working quickly under presssure will wind up
>> removing the strain relief screws whether or not they intend to or
>> need to. In any case, by the time you have your screwdriver in the
>> slot for the first screw to loosen, I will have a Neutrik XLR open
>> and ready for remedial administration. This might be the only
>> technical move I'd wager to manage faster than you. <g>
>
> I should send you one of these new Neutrik XLRs I picked up at the
> NAMM show. I'd have a Switchcraft resoldered while you were still
> trying to find a second pair of pliers to unscrew the backshell.

I'm interested in seeing how they managed to piss in the soup. Any online
resources, PDFs, etc.?
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 3:15:53 PM

In article <erOdnUJzzo6lBI3fRVn-hg@comcast.com> arnyk@hotpop.com writes:

> > I should send you one of these new Neutrik XLRs I picked up at the
> > NAMM show. I'd have a Switchcraft resoldered while you were still
> > trying to find a second pair of pliers to unscrew the backshell.
>
> I'm interested in seeing how they managed to piss in the soup. Any online
> resources, PDFs, etc.?

Just the usual drawings, nothing to suggest that the clamp shell
screws a lot easier than it unscrews. I have a friend who's into guns
and probably has a bore scope. I should take one over there and see if
there's any clues in the inside threads. I don't see anything that
looks like a ratchet on the outside threaded part, but it sure feels
like it.

I wrote to Neutrik's tech support about this and all they told me was
that it was the same backshell collet clamp as on their previous
version. If you e-mail me your postal address, I'll send you one of my
samples, and you can start passing it around to anyone who's
curious. You could probably ask Neutrik for a sample directly, too.

It's NC3MXX or NC3FXX, boys and girls respectively.

February 14, 2005 9:18:07 PM

Mike Rivers wrote:

> It's NC3MXX or NC3FXX, boys and girls respectively.

So they've almost porned-up their connectors. Bet we won't be able to
unscrew the XXX models sure to come next.

--
ha
Anonymous

> In article <erOdnUJzzo6lBI3fRVn-hg@comcast.com> arnyk@hotpop.com
> writes:
>
>>> I should send you one of these new Neutrik XLRs I picked up at the
>>> NAMM show. I'd have a Switchcraft resoldered while you were still
>>> trying to find a second pair of pliers to unscrew the backshell.
>>
>> I'm interested in seeing how they managed to piss in the soup. Any
>> online resources, PDFs, etc.?
>
> Just the usual drawings, nothing to suggest that the clamp shell
> screws a lot easier than it unscrews. I have a friend who's into guns
> and probably has a bore scope. I should take one over there and see if
> there's any clues in the inside threads. I don't see anything that
> looks like a ratchet on the outside threaded part, but it sure feels
> like it.

Sounds like the usual NC3FX/NC3MX that has been around for years. I even
have some Chinese clones that came on some cables I found on eBay.

> I wrote to Neutrik's tech support about this and all they told me was
> that it was the same backshell collet clamp as on their previous
> version.

hmmm.

> If you e-mail me your postal address, I'll send you one of my
> samples, and you can start passing it around to anyone who's
> curious. You could probably ask Neutrik for a sample directly, too.

Seems like too much trouble to ask, but as part of my not turning down
interesting favors, let me direct you to:

http://www.pcavtech.com/pcta/

> It's NC3MXX or NC3FXX, boys and girls respectively.

There's been a lot of alphabet soup related to NC3-type Neutrik connectors,
but these particular letter combos don't see to be found by Google.
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 11:52:05 AM

In article <kqWdnYHEV8bu-4zfRVn-vQ@comcast.com> arnyk@hotpop.com writes:

> > It's NC3MXX or NC3FXX, boys and girls respectively.
>
> There's been a lot of alphabet soup related to NC3-type Neutrik connectors,
> but these particular letter combos don't see to be found by Google.

I can't seem to make a direct link to the page, but if you go to
http://tinyurl.com/3uos8 and, in the left column, click on "Neutrik
unveils NC**XX series XLR cable connectors at Winter NAMM 2005" you'll
see the blurb on the connector. There's nothing that will tell you
anything that you don't already know other than that the model does
indeed exist.

February 15, 2005 6:21:31 PM

On 15 Feb 2005 08:52:05 -0500, Mike Rivers <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:

> In article <kqWdnYHEV8bu-4zfRVn-vQ@comcast.com> arnyk@hotpop.com writes:
>
>> > It's NC3MXX or NC3FXX, boys and girls respectively.
>>
>> There's been a lot of alphabet soup related to NC3-type Neutrik connectors,
>> but these particular letter combos don't see to be found by Google.
>
> I can't seem to make a direct link to the page, but if you go to
> http://tinyurl.com/3uos8 and, in the left column, click on "Neutrik
> unveils NC**XX series XLR cable connectors at Winter NAMM 2005" you'll
> see the blurb on the connector. There's nothing that will tell you
> anything that you don't already know other than that the model does
> indeed exist.

Maybe the show sample had been overtightened by a ham-handed marketing
wonk? I've not noticed any difference between older and newer Nutrik
connectors that show up in the OEM market (the ones that come on
store-bought cables).
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 6:21:32 PM

In article <%roQd.217236$w62.148028@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net> cdkrug@worldnet.att.net writes:

> Maybe the show sample had been overtightened by a ham-handed marketing
> wonk?

Nope. Brand new, in sealed bags. It may have been overtightened by a
ham-handed me, but when tightening a virgin one gently, after a few
turns, if you try to unscrew it, you can feel that you're working
against a ratchet.

> I've not noticed any difference between older and newer Nutrik
> connectors that show up in the OEM market (the ones that come on
> store-bought cables).

I've never seen anything like this before either. It's a brand new
connector, though, so you probably haven't seen it on an off-the-rack
cable yet. Beware of the day you do, though. <g>

February 15, 2005 6:21:33 PM

Mike Rivers wrote:

> Nope. Brand new, in sealed bags. It may have been overtightened by a
> ham-handed me, but when tightening a virgin one gently, after a few
> turns, if you try to unscrew it, you can feel that you're working
> against a ratchet.

I started using the Neutrix a few years ago (after years of Switchcraft
and Cannon - vintage XLR!), and in that time they have always worked as
you describe. You don't have to tighten them really tight, they grip
very well without the Kong treatment. Definitely there's a ratchet
feel, but nothing breaks when you unscrew against it.
!