Help me pick out a few small home speakers to check out

Last response: in Home Audio
February 9, 2005 2:58:59 PM

Hello,
I know there's a few audio/hi-fi guys here that hopefully don't fall
into the "snake oil" categorey that the guys do over at some of the
audiophile usenet groups.
I might have mentioned this in previous threads, but I'm looking for a
pair of small, bracket-mounted speakers for a living room. I'm moving
into a new pad that's prewired for this. I am not going to be able to
carry my old faithful Yamaha NS1000M's to the new place and have
therefore sold them to finance the purchase of this new speaker setup.

I'm really not too jazzed about the sub/satellite setup like the Gallo
or Orb offers. This might work, but I have my doubts. The previous
owner has some of those small, what apears to be in/out speakers
mounted on a ceiling rafter, which would make them basically a wall
mount.
I know I'm loosing my "sweet spot" and all of that, but really, with an
8 month old in the house, I don't get to critically listen to music
that much anyway. I'm just looking for good SQ and something I won't
rip to shreads with my McIntosh MC2205 amp.
Later,

February 9, 2005 3:28:14 PM

Believe me....she's already getting a heavy dose of everything from
Trane, Miles, Quebec, etc to the complete Staxx collection to the
Stones. ...a whole lot of string quartets thrown in as well as solo
piano.
Yeah, the only thing I'm worried about is she LOVES it when I play
guitar and harmonica for her. She laughs, starts going crazy. Am I
conditioning her to fall for a musician? OMG....I'd better stop.

Yeah, I'm worried about those ultra small boxes as well. I'll try to
look into the biggest boxes I can safely mount. I like the Paradigm
stuff I've heard....I'll give them a listen as well as the others.
later,
later,
February 9, 2005 6:06:49 PM

In article <1107979139.916623.128560@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
<mwood5nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I'm really not too jazzed about the sub/satellite setup like the Gallo
>or Orb offers. This might work, but I have my doubts. The previous
>owner has some of those small, what apears to be in/out speakers
>mounted on a ceiling rafter, which would make them basically a wall
>mount.

Then you will need something a little bit larger. Your goal is to get
something that will go down low enough that you can add a subwoofer and
still have reasonable integration. Consider the old NHT Super One or
something like it. Still fairly small, but with reasonable extension
given the size. PSB also makes some decent stuff... Paradigm also makes
some that you might like (although they also make some that are going to
be too small and a line that has very spitty dome tweeters).

>I know I'm loosing my "sweet spot" and all of that, but really, with an
>8 month old in the house, I don't get to critically listen to music
>that much anyway. I'm just looking for good SQ and something I won't
>rip to shreads with my McIntosh MC2205 amp.

Let your kid grow up right, and make sure he learns to critically listen
to music. Too few young people today do.
--scott
February 10, 2005 10:04:27 AM

Take a listen to some speakers from Phase Technologies as well. They do some
nice stuff in the bookshelf range, 6.5" two-ways.

Peace,
Paul
!